• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Rest for the Wicked |OT| Sleep is for the week

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Then i just missed the place, i'm still exploring the first area basically.
Maybe not. After you open that gate there's only a few ways to go. I don't think it's too hidden. That platform specifically drove me insane because shortly after it is a very tough enemy. I wound up dying to that jump more than the dude. But I got so annoyed, I just ran past the enemy and completed the quest.

drotahorror

Maybe not. After you open that gate there's only a few ways to go. I don't think it's too hidden. That platform specifically drove me insane because shortly after it is a very tough enemy. I wound up dying to that jump more than the dude. But I got so annoyed, I just ran past the enemy and completed the quest.
I've played 2 diff characters and made it to the main city on both and I thought I full cleared it both times. I guess I missed it too?

You're talking about the gate that needs a crank that you get from the blacksmith?

Last edited:

samoilaaa

ive been playing for a while and i gotta say that the game is awsome , i didnt encounter any major bugs , people complain about optimization but i constantly had 80+fps

what impressed me the most is the verticality and its the type of game that its fun to explore , it doesnt feel like a chore

Looks pretty great! I think I'll wait for more impressions and for the honey-moon phase to pass a bit before deciding on whether to buy now or wait for 1.0, but it does look pretty fun from the brief impressions I've read. It is undeniably gorgeous though. The art direction is very good.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't get it. What's up with supposedly indie early access game being played by every streamer?!
It came out of nowhere, it looks kinda generic/nothing special and suddenly I am supposed to believe streamers want to play this?
Does Private Division / moon studios have such a deep pockets ?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't get it. What's up with supposedly indie early access game being played by every streamer?!
It came out of nowhere, it looks kinda generic/nothing special and suddenly I am supposed to believe streamers want to play this?
i'd think it's likely way cheaper to pay them. and streamers might even be less scrupulous than normal outlets (debatable). viral marketing when it pops off is practically priceless. while some big streamers could hurt you, lesser knowns might be less inclined to be negative. if your game is actually good there's little downside. cheap and effective.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

The Ori games were very well received so there next project was going to get a lot of attention. Paying popular streamers is an inexpensive way to signal boost.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If the stream has #ad on it, it’s a paid stream. Other than that, just hype for the dev/game/genre.

Reallink

The Steamers have affiliate links where they get a cut of every sell that clicks through. Definitely not organic, the game is not great in it's current state, nearing 50% Mixed on Steam and dropping. I don't think affiliate links qualify as #ads, and don't have to be tagged or disclosed as such, the landing page serves that legal purpose.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
No local coop I see?
The game looks fun, but yeah it comes off like a scummy practice. The flavor of the week brought to you by streamers or influencers. 🙄

I bought it cause it looks genuinely good. I sure hope the devs make improvements. The idea of this game’s popularity rising and falling in a weekend sucks. I bought it on Steam, so I could return it. I didn’t buy it cause of a streamer. I bought it because this thread pointed out some cool details about the game.

It’s like how Van Hellsing, Torchlight or Grim Dawn had their rise to fame for a bit.

Last edited:

Reallink

Put another few hours into it.

Really enjoying it. It’s much, *much* more of a survival / crafting type game, alongside a regular arpg.
Yeah that's why the consensus is increasingly negative, the audience for Diablo and Darksouls aren't looking to play Rust. Should have just marketed it as a survival sim from the start if that's what they wanted to make. They didn't cause they know full well survival games are an instant hard NO for a lot of people, but they did it anyway to con out some extra sales.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Informative video. Key thing here is you just create new realms to farm early game progression for I assume gear and levels. So make new realms for enemy respawns. The teleport glitch/bug is hilarious.

I'm holding on to all my attribute points until I get a mage weapon. It's just been melee stuff so far.

Well, there it is. I'm making a new realm to farm some XP. Nice.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yeah that's why the consensus is increasingly negative, the audience for Diablo and Darksouls aren't looking to play Rust. Should have just marketed it as a survival sim from the start if that's what they wanted to make. They didn't cause they know full well survival games are an instant hard NO for a lot of people, but they did it anyway to con out some extra sales.
That woman and man chilling at the campfire outside of the starting area--go south and follow the ladder down to the glowing entrance
ePeQbAR.gif

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
They didn't advertise it as a survival game because it's not a survival game. It's an ARPG. The game is fun, and it's in early access. It needs polishing but if you expected anything more from an EA game, that's on you. The consensus isn't 'increasingly negative', people who are playing it in this thread seem to be enjoying it for the most part while fairly articulating its flaws.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
First patch:

:hammer_and_wrench:
Patch Notes - Early Access Hotfix 1

THANK YOU again to all of you for making our Early Access launch so amazing. Today’s hotfix is the first of many upcoming patches and updates to improve No Rest for the Wicked on the road to our 1.0 release.

We hear you! While we are hard at work on performance improvements and controller remapping, which are coming soon, please be sure to check the resolution settings for the game to be able to get the best experience in the meantime.

Today’s Day 2 hotfix aims to improve Balance, Durability, Stamina, Loot, Stability, and immediate Quality of Life:

:crossed_swords:
Balance Changes:

• Reduced Durability Damage Taken
• Reduced Repair Costs
• Increased Drop Rate on Repair Powders
• Reduced Stamina Cost on attacks
• Reduced Fall Damage Curve
• Reduced cost of Horseshoe Crab and food that includes Horseshoe Crab
• Balance update for the Cerim Crucible boss
• Changed Corpse-Smeared Blade starting from Tier 2 to Tier 1

Loot Changes:

• Introduced more Weapons into Fillmore’s Pre-Sacrament Loot Table
• Reduced Drop Rate of Fallen Embers

Stability:

• Fixed crash that could occur when quitting out to the main menu

Bug Fixes:

• Improved inventory navigation
• Fixed jump at Potion Seller Cave so you can’t miss the jump when executed correctly
• Blocked off an out of bounds area of Nameless Pass
• Removed lingering dev tools

Terenty

First patch:
I hope they will not go down the road of appeasing every crybaby on the internet with their balance changing. Imagine Dark Souls releasing on Early Access and the devs changing all the hardcore parts of it because the majority of players doesn't have any patience and wants to steamroll the first boss on the first try.

Not saying that's what's happening now as I haven't played the game past first 30 mins, but there's a chance the game will end up much easier than what the devs originally envisioned.

Last edited:
So.....

When is this releasing on consoles? Why is this "early access" for a single player game? Seems weird to roll it out like this. I'd rather just play the final game with all the content. So this game ISN'T everything that will be included in the final release? I can't imagine getting early access like this for a Souls game or something.

Truly strange, but seems like it's a really good title that has some COL improvements on the way that should make it a lot better....wonder how Ori fans like it?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Two crashes right when the game starts. So far it’s been awful. I hope I can actually play the game.

Update: just got off the boat. It has potential. I’ll give it that. The developer needs to make a more stable build. This seems like it wouldn’t run on a thousand dollar GPU and it’s ridiculous. It should be butter smooth and be able to be Deck Verified if you ask me. I feel like some people are going to be too forgiving. Again, it has potential, but it’s like looking at a fine piece of steak that’s been thrown in the trash.

I’ve had a couple dozen audio bugs and the game itself feels like it’s going to sh*t the bed even when it’s running well. I will keep playing.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The early access seems pretty massive, we were scared about the amount of content but it is basically the entire game with some missing zones and stuff?

Some streamers talk like they played a full game with an ending to the story etc.

Btw this game is making me lose faith on gamers, everywhere is full of people mad that the game is not a diablo clone.

For the love of jesus, how in the absolute fuck you can think that this was a diablo clone with all the footage we have available? Are we to a point where nerds can't even recognize point and click diablo combat from slow, stamina based souls combat? Even if you play diablo with a controller is still not gonna look like a souls AT ALL.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
All right, decided to not refund the game given the dev hot fix timing. I am still launching myself off edges to my death far too often. I'm hoping they will fix this. I don't need ti removed entirely, but just some common sense. If I holding A and facing toward a ladder, most likely I want to go down that ladder, not jumping to my death.

Game had crashed at the first boss cutscene and thankfully, that's where it loaded. Made my way to the town and explored. Bummed to see weekly and daily quests as I abhor this type of content. It's just lazy and uninteresting to me.

I found turning the motion blur gave me some decent improvements on frame rate.

Stamina feels a bit better now with the patch too.

Exentryk

Played it for a short duration (got to one bonfire and a moderate level area). Some initial thoughts:
  • It's a little too dark even in HDR.
  • Story seems decent.
  • Good voice acting.
  • Level design has enough hidden things to make exploration interesting.
  • The opening ship tutorial was a poor experience.
    • Basic movement speed too slow.
    • Hard to things. Higher elevation things can block view at times.
    • Weird camera angle choice
  • Performance needs improvement.
    • Some stutters and frame freezes during the opening scenes.
  • Tedious game mechanics like durability, backtracking on deaths, chopping trees/building, weight limits, etc.
  • Combat is a little too simple and boring for me right now, but will see how it develops. It does feel weighty and responsive, so that's good. But if it is just going to be DRoll-ATK-ATK-DRoll, then it will get boring fast.
  • The biggest thing for me is that the setting is so depressing. This is one of the biggest reasons I don't play Souls games. Just dark drab areas with death and depression all around.

Will play this a little more to see if it gets interesting, but this might not be for me.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Patch Notes - Early Access Hotfix 2

No Rest for the Devs as we’re back with another hotfix! Today’s hotfix aims to improve Performance (woooo!), Durability, Food costs, as well as introducing fishing rods to Whittacker’s loot table. We’ve also improved enemy spawning in Nameless Pass, fixed some gaps in localization, and squashed a handful of bugs.

Keep sending us your feedback (and bug reports)! Now onto the patch notes.

Performance Improvements:

• Improved overall rendering performance
  • Additional optimizations in Balanced and Performance Quality Modes
  • Improved overall performance of Visual Effects and Fog
  • Improved performance on the Ship Prologue
  • Additional smaller performance improvements
Balance Changes:

• Increased Durability on tools:
    • Tier 1 - 100 Durability
    • Tier 2 - 125 Durability
    • Tier 3 - 150 Durability
  • Nerfed Silver Ring’s enchantment and buffed base stats
  • Buffed Riven Twins Boss by removing stagger on parry
Loot Changes:

• Moved Water Channel key to a chest in the Black Trench while we investigate Plague Leader not spawning for certain players
  • Adjusted Food costs to be more balanced in terms of cost to health gained
  • Improved drops for Clay and other rocks at Dig Spots
  • Introduced fishing rods to Whittacker’s loot table
Crafting Changes:

• Added Tool crafting at Crafting Tables
Area Changes:

• Improved critter spawns (such as Deer) in some areas
  • Improved enemy spawning in Nameless Pass
  • Added a few more loot spawn locations in Nameless Pass
  • Polished art and climbables for Mariner’s Keep
Combat Improvements:

• Adjusted Wolf and Plague Wolf targeting to remove aggressive rotation
  • Improved Audio for Riven Twins Boss
Bug Fixes:

• Fixed missing text in Chinese (Simplified & Traditional)
  • Fixed certain interaction texts appearing in the wrong language
  • Improved clarity for Filmore’s free repairs till you reach Sacrament
  • Fixed Map not showing area names on hover
  • Fixed enemies becoming kaijus (visually)
  • Fixed Echo Knight Boss AoE damage zone not matching visual effects
  • Fixed Shinies and Chests visually pulling a disappearing act in sewers
  • Fixed deleted chests not dropping loot bags when inventory is full
  • Removed the chest roasting over an open Campfire in Nameless Pass
  • Fixed rain sounds from occasionally appearing in the Phalen Church cinematic
  • Fixed Terms of Service and Privacy Policy screens so they appear correctly in all languages

Luipadre

Any noticeable performance difference?

I dont expect miracles 3 days after ea launch tho

Last edited:

kikkis

Played it for a short duration (got to one bonfire and a moderate level area). Some initial thoughts:
  • It's a little too dark even in HDR.
  • Story seems decent.
  • Good voice acting.
  • Level design has enough hidden things to make exploration interesting.
  • The opening ship tutorial was a poor experience.
    • Basic movement speed too slow.
    • Hard to things. Higher elevation things can block view at times.
    • Weird camera angle choice
  • Performance needs improvement.
    • Some stutters and frame freezes during the opening scenes.
  • Tedious game mechanics like durability, backtracking on deaths, chopping trees/building, weight limits, etc.
  • Combat is a little too simple and boring for me right now, but will see how it develops. It does feel weighty and responsive, so that's good. But if it is just going to be DRoll-ATK-ATK-DRoll, then it will get boring fast.
  • The biggest thing for me is that the setting is so depressing. This is one of the biggest reasons I don't play Souls games. Just dark drab areas with death and depression all around.

Will play this a little more to see if it gets interesting, but this might not be for me.
Do you like souls games since it's basically same roll and attack loop.

GymWolf

10 hours in and i'm still exploring the very first (big) area, doing sidequests for the city and getting stronger before going forward with the main campaign, the game gets better and better (and harder but still manageable somehow).

I just wanted to say something about the durability system...it's literally a non-problem :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Just by exploring, doing sidequest etc you get SHOWERED in money and stuff to sell, you are never gonna need to go out of your way to farm money (or curative objects, so no bloodborne blood farming neither), and there are a lot of places around the map to use the teleport to city to repair your stuff and with the 2 patches that reduced the durability loss it's even less of a problem, and you also find repair powder that repair your entire inventory (so not for a single object use), i have 6 of them in my inventory and i never used one yet.

If durability was the buy\not buy factor for you, i hope my post can answer your question.

Oh and btw, the non-respawn of enemies and the fear of feel lonely during exploration? scratch that, the enemies actually respawn because the game constantly cover the map again and again with fog of war and everytime you get both loot and enemies respawning, i never felt like it was passing to much time between fight encounters, it's a weird system but it work.

Last edited:

LordBritish

my rtx 4080 laptop is playing this like butter... i am very much in love with this game so far... Combat is the only thing that kinda drives me nuts... gotta get better at it..
Diablo meets Animal Crossing meets Elden Ring lol

This headpiece I got though... it was better than my archers cap..

CAkyz1w.jpeg

Top Bottom