• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Rest for the Wicked |OT| Sleep is for the week

Buggy Loop

will ferrell omg GIF

The fog @ 9:36, holy shit

I know it's not new tech, but implementation and art style is KING.

Last edited:
As much as I enjoyed both Ori games, I don't really do early access so I'll be waiting for the retail release whenever that happens (hopefully sooner rather than later).

That said, I'll check from time to time to read some of the impressions from fellow GAF members, and maybe also to drop a gif here and there from promo materials, etc. :)

RIrcALE.gif

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Voice acting is top notch so far. Decent frame rate on my ancient 4690k and 1070. Mostly 60fps in this opening section.

edit: nvm, getting some hitching when attacking below deck. Hopefully it evens out.
e2: yeah combat during the ship section gives less than ideal performance. Looks like dynamic resolution scaling to attempt to keep frame rate but it's rough on my rig.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I have a second key for 28 euros (only for europe people), send me a pm if you are interested.

I don't think you can find a lower price right now.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Well first crash right at the end of the first boss' cutscene. Unfortunately, a lot more negatives than positives so far. Namely, I was expecting more diablo and less parrying and dodge rolls.

Positives:
- Visually stunning
- Voice acting is stellar
- Combat eventually gets better once you can get a weapon you like & put some points into endurance
- Exploration is fantastic; they've crammed a lot of secrets in the levels and they intertwine well

Negatives:
- Poor performance on my dinosaur PC. Going to try it on Steam Deck next to see how it fares--this one is on me
- Combat starts out extremely clunky--stamina is way too low causing every fight to turn into too long of a waiting game
- It is painfully slow to walk around, so you wind up running everywhere
- This means you wind up jumping off cliffs way too easily
- Fall damage way too punishing for this reason and platforming in general is terrible (there's no excuse on this one given Moon's past titles)
- Weapon durability is tied to your deaths, given the bad platforming I wound up with unusable gear on the potion seller or whatever quest in the cave--why should death by gravity ruin my gear? I get if I die in combat but to a poorly laid out jump?
- The camera angle doesn't work well for this type of gameplay imo

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m so pleased to see Moon evolve beyond the basic, yet beautiful, story telling of Ori.

Premise is amazing.

Just annoyed I won’t be able to play it until it sees a full console release. Hope everyone else enjoys.

nemiroff

Gold Member
My heart sunk when I saw "early access".. :(

Edit: ...but I bought it anyway

Edit 2: Read their ea text, want the feedback to make a better game, seems fair. I can wait to play it.

Last edited:

Lux77

After half an hour in prologue, I exited the game to find out nothing was saved, so I need to start again from the beginning wtf?
Looks like checkpoints are placed really far apart which I really don't like.....

near

Gold Member
Enjoying it so far. Just over 2 hours in and made it to the first boss. The game is challenging, a lot more than I thought it'd be. In terms of performance, I've had no issues and graphically the game is gorgeous. The art direction really sets the tone and atmosphere well. Quite eerie in some places.

Most NPCs I've come across are intractable, fully voiced, and have a few lines of dialogue to exhaust. The story seems fine, serviceable at best so far. The voice acting and sound design have been brilliant.

The combat is a little weird, walk speed seems the same regardless of item load, and it just feels a tad bit too slow. But you don't consume stamina by sprinting. The only downside to this is battles take some getting use to in terms of spacing and timing attacks. Parry window is generous, but it feels harder to dodge through enemies, and the game encourages you to be slow and methodological in your approach. Stamina depletes fairly quickly early on, so blocking a hit and then dodging back results in having to stand around a few seconds to recover it, might need a little balancing. I'll be putting all my levelling points into stamina for a while lol. Fall damage feels kind of harsh, I died twice dropping down from a reasonable height, need to test this out a bit more.

Unlike bonfires, Cerim Whispers don't seem to restore your health. Each time you die, you respawn to the last one you interacted with, and you're penalized through item durability on each respawn.

Loot seems to be in abundance, with a lot of items to discover. There seems to be some sort of crafting mechanic here as well. Cutting down trees, and mining for ore are part of the game design. Cooking is also going to be important, I've found a few recipes already.

I can tell there is a lot of depth here, and so far I'm having a blast.

Definitely had some fun during the tutorial area, although stamina is incredibly low, even for low level and parrying seems really tricky. Love the art style and can see myself sinking some time into this. Performance is crap but I was surprised to see that my Steam Deck could hold 30fps with very few hitches. Feels great handheld too!

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Killed first boss and so far (despite perf issues that I brute force with my 4080/R7 5800x3d) it's a blast.

Combat is weighty and fair (don't want to compare with DS, it's a bit easier and less puhisnhing), visuals are just outstanding, art is terrific and I really enjoy the sudden verticality of the game world.

Game has a few problems with balance (too few healing items) and not all nemies are telegraphing their attacks clearly due to visual splendor, but overall I'm so pumped to see more and play more.
CAoTHCB.jpeg

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I like the game. Combat leaves much to be desired thus far. Maybe it picks up later with regular attacks building focus and then spending focus on weapon skills. Very atmospheric. Only just got to the first save point. Need to play a bit more.

Been reading that gear and what stats you prioritize will matter a great deal so that's cool. Some weapons favor STR and others INT. Looking forward to dig deeper.

Visuals are great. Story is passable but as of yet nothing special.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Been reading that gear and what stats you prioritize will matter a great deal so that's cool. Some weapons favor STR and others INT. Looking forward to dig deeper.
It is also vital to find a proper balance between the equipment and stamina. I've bested the first boss with rusty sword, basic armor, basic pants and light helmet only. You should really manage your stamina during the bossfights.

Fredrik

3 hours in, initial impressions are:

Great art style, everything is animated, literally everything moves that should move.
Boring tutorial start, as usual. Unusually lackluster start area on the real map too.
Clunky slow movement, don’t know if it’s an attempt at fabricated weight or if it’s latency. I don’t like it.
Weighty powerful attacks, I’m swinging a mace, feels super nice to land a fat combo or parry.
Seems deeper than I thought as a RPG, place individual points on strength/health/dexterity etc.
Slow to level up. I only levelled up 2 times in 3 hours.
Exploration is really good and there are stuff in odd places, but the rewards are lacking, seriously lacking.
The first real boss fight is Elden Ring hard… haven’t beaten it yet.
Seems really demanding for the system. No issues with the framerate but vacuum cleaner fan speed for no real reason on a 4080 Super is a surprise, it’s not like it’s Cyberpunk.

Overall: I like it but not as much as I thought. Maybe 7/10 after 3 hours. I don’t feel like they hit the story beats as well as Ori, or even close to that, and I don’t think they nailed the action RPG genre as well as they did the metroidvania genre. There is no real pull, no real magic for me, at least not yet. I’ll play more over the weekend.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well first crash right at the end of the first boss' cutscene. Unfortunately, a lot more negatives than positives so far. Namely, I was expecting more diablo and less parrying and dodge rolls.

Positives:
- Visually stunning
- Voice acting is stellar
- Combat eventually gets better once you can get a weapon you like & put some points into endurance
- Exploration is fantastic; they've crammed a lot of secrets in the levels and they intertwine well

Negatives:
- Poor performance on my dinosaur PC. Going to try it on Steam Deck next to see how it fares--this one is on me
- Combat starts out extremely clunky--stamina is way too low causing every fight to turn into too long of a waiting game
- It is painfully slow to walk around, so you wind up running everywhere
- This means you wind up jumping off cliffs way too easily
- Fall damage way too punishing for this reason and platforming in general is terrible (there's no excuse on this one given Moon's past titles)
- Weapon durability is tied to your deaths, given the bad platforming I wound up with unusable gear on the potion seller or whatever quest in the cave--why should death by gravity ruin my gear? I get if I die in combat but to a poorly laid out jump?
- The camera angle doesn't work well for this type of gameplay imo

Interesting thoughts. Maybe I'll hold off my fix until the new patch for Death Must Die comes out in 2 days.

Ogbert

So, put a couple of hours in so far.

As others have said, it looks incredible. The art direction is off the charts. This feels like the pinnacle of video game artistry that *isn’t* aiming for cinematic realism.

I absolutely love the level design and verticality of exploration. This is a game where you will discover secrets here, there and everywhere.

Combat is a little simple and the timings feel a little off. Animations feel a touch too quick.

But there’s an absolutely magic game here. Still needs work, but reasonably confident it will end up being incredible.

clarky

Gold Member
Its early access.

This game, like Ori before it is a passion project. For the last 6 years this is where the gamepass cash went, now thats run out they need funding to finish it.

Everyone who claims to hate gamepass, well get your hands in your pockets, because this is the alternative.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Put in 89 minutes so far, really liking it, especially after I found a huge Claymore, it's definitely easier for me to use it. Been pumping strength and stamina.

EDIT: Beat the first boss on the first try, not so bad. Had to heal like 4 times though, dude hits hard.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Game is not even remotely finished and will be shaped by the community. Al la BG3. Jump in the water is lovely

Don't get me wrong, no pause is just a pet peeve of mine. I bought it without hesitation just based on the last play test, that streamers were able to show, alone.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wait, this game is out? holy shit it just snuck up on us didn't it ..

edit: Oh, early access only?

Last edited:

Fredrik

It’s a parry boss. It’s teaching you the delay on enemy swings.

Took me about 10 attempts but I ended up just standing in front of him and getting the timing down.
Yeah I got halfway there by parrying and slashing when he’s down afterwards. But then I got greedy… Just a couple more attacks…

Fredrik

I want faster healing. Is there a way to speed that up through gear or specific recipes or stats points? Takes forever.

DavidGzz

Had about 90fps in the cabin at 4k with everything maxed. Came out to do battle on the ship with all of the effects and was running at 45-60. Once they enable DLSS it should be fine. I'll see how it does at work on the 1080p monitors. This looks and feels amazing to me. Loving it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Combat sucks lol.

They had one job. Dont follow Souls. Maybe it gets better but right now even 1v1 fights are not fun at all. stamina bars for attacks should be outlawed at this point. its 2024. i shouldnt have to upgrade it. it should be there maxed out. just so retarded.

graphics are good, but too dark. overall, im not getting the feeling i got in ori. i can see the potential for a great game but souls like combat has basically turned me off of this game.

GymWolf

Played for 2+ hours and thought the game was pretty great tbh.

Good graphic and great art design, characters faces remind me a lot of dishonored, the game is pretty heavy but it run decently on my system, no crashes or performance bad enough to make combat harder, it need optimization for sure but i expected MUCH worse.

Slow, methodical combat, not sure what people was expecting after watching many previews but this is exactly what i wanted and expected, it's on you if you thought this was a diablo or mashy mashy game, i understood that it was an isometric soul after the first fight i saw when they presented the game, not sure how people thought otherwise after watching so many footage, i guess some people really need videogame journalists to tell em how a game play because videos are not enough :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Combat is great if you want an heavy isometric soulslike, maybe not as hard as i expected (but still challenging enough) but i have to face the first boss yet and it's just the first area, i had more fun\challenge with 2 hours of this than 25 hours of mindless blasting in dogma 2.

Exploration is top notch, maybe not the rewards because you often find just food or minor stuff, but for how the game hide stuff in every nook and cranny and you always find something if you follow your curiosity (ironically, very similar to dd2 exploration)

I had a couple of problems like climb and dash in the same button, i never died by mistake but i can see how it could happen.
Platforming is a bit slippery but less than your average souls.

Sometimes it is not super clear where you can climb or what is interactable, i think the ori games had the same problems sometimes, and the camera can hide stuff even if it get transparent when you are close to a wall.

I don't particularly like losing weapon endurance when i die but the blacksmith you find it's free to use so for now it's no biggie.

Standard walking speed is a bit slow.

Overall i really liked my time with it, ask what you want if you want more detailed opinions.
(just a reminder that i have a second key to sell at a very good price for european people)

Last edited:

Zheph

Everyone who claims to hate gamepass, well get your hands in your pockets, because this is the alternative.
I would rather get my hands in my pockets, thanks

feedback is extremely mixed and not just due to performances
gonna let it cook

DavidGzz

I'm with Gym Wolf, my exact thoughts so far. I wish this was how D4 turned out. I love the slow weighty combat. I like how enemies had answers for my cheese. As soon as I realized you can get behind enemies to somewhat cheese them with a backstab, they introduce a guy with a crossbow in his left hand that made that almost impossible. Back to the spawn point lol.

Zheph

I'm with Gym Wolf, my exact thoughts so far. I wish this was how D4 turned out. I love the slow weighty combat. I like how enemies had answers for my cheese. As soon as I realized you can get behind enemies to somewhat cheese them with a backstab, they introduce a guy with a crossbow in his left hand that made that almost impossible. Back to the spawn point lol.
I would argue that Diablo is more about speed lol but good feedback lads, its tempting me a bit more

Top Bottom