• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Rest for the Wicked |OT| Sleep is for the week

GymWolf

Can anyone kindly summarize what makes this game different/revolution ?
It seems there is a lot of emphasis around this game on Steam but i still can't figure out why.
Nothing, the game director just like the sound of his own voice like kojima.

The game is good but it doesn't revolutionize jack shit.

It's an isometric soul with some build a base elements.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The best way is to play it and you will understand there's no really a game like it in the market.

You sounds like a little kid tbh.
I played 20 hours of this game and i'm the most positive about it in the whole topic, it doesn't mean that i have to glaze everything the director says.

The game doesn't even feel like an evolution, let alone a revolution, at least for people like me that played countless soulslikes, action rpgs and isometric games.

Adding some badly tacked on elements from other games (that are bad enough integrated to need 5 patches in a week) doesn't make the game feel more special or unique, the game does nothing new in the combat, exploration or rpg part, literally nothing.

Good art design and animations are not a revolution, nor the slightly changed isometric view that only make things more difficult to see during exploration.

You can think whatever you want dude, for me this is not a revolution of nothing.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Nothing, the game director just like the sound of his own voice like kojima.

The game is good but it doesn't revolutionize jack shit.

It's an isometric soul with some build a base elements.
It feels less souls like to me because there is no real bonfire mechanic. Though having the camera be isometric makes the methodical combat less engaging for me. Granted they fixed the issue I had with enemies off screen being able to kill you, combat still does not feel that good when zoomed out like this.

Really solid patch
I'm curious how much performance is improved. I think I am done with progressing in the game until the resources needed for town/shop upgrades are fixed. I'm in an endless loop of boring gameplay at the moment.

Porticus

I played 20 hours of this game and i'm the most positive about it in the whole topic, it doesn't mean that i have to glaze everything the director says.

The game doesn't even feel like an evolution, let alone a revolution, at least for people like me that played countless soulslikes, action rpgs and isometric games.

Adding some badly tacked on elements from other games (that are bad enough integrated to need 5 patches in a week) doesn't make the game feel more special or unique, the game does nothing new in the combat, exploration or rpg part, literally nothing.

Good art design and animations are not a revolution, nor the slightly changed isometric view that only make seeing things more difficult to see during exploration.

You can think whatever you want dude, for me this is not a revolution of nothing.

Where are these quotes of the game director screaming about the game being revolutionary?

channie

are these quotes in the room with us?

FmTSLRdaMAAmOlT

Porticus

People should start to learn etimology of words,

Want, verb, have a desire to possess or do (something); wish for,

One things is saying to want something, another one is saying succeeding.

GymWolf

Where are these quotes of the game director screaming about the game being revolutionary?
Can't remember the precise video or news, but they said it multiple times, not just in the edge interview.

Hell, you can go in the topic of the reveal or the second trailer they released and you are gonna find one of my post asking what was revolutionary about the trailer, maybe it was like a longer trailer where they showed how the game work, i can't remember.

I'm 100% sure they said it more than once that their objective was to revolutionize the genre like they did with ori in the metroidvania genre (to the surprise of no one those game also didn't revolutionised jack shit other than looking gorgeous and playing well).

I'm all for praising the game, but i stopped caring about game directors pr talk on twitter many years ago, and this dude seems to have a king midas complex where everything he touch turn into gold.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
The best way is to play it and you will understand there's no really a game like it in the market.

You sounds like a little kid tbh.
It doesn't really do anything new to be fair. It takes familiar and existing mechanics from a few popular games and tries to blend them into a coherent game design. It works, but I wouldn't go so far as to say there's no game like it in the market.

GymWolf

It feels less souls like to me because there is no real bonfire mechanic. Though having the camera be isometric makes the methodical combat less engaging for me. Granted they fixed the issue I had with enemies off screen being able to kill you, combat still does not feel that good when zoomed out like this.

I'm curious how much performance is improved. I think I am done with progressing in the game until the resources needed for town/shop upgrades are fixed. I'm in an endless loop of boring gameplay at the moment.
Combat is soulslike, everything else is a mishmash of other games but none of the other things evolve anything because they feel tacked on at best.

Just doing a mishmash is not enough to call it a revolution, brutal legend was an open world brawler with some driving and some simil rts battles, was it revolutionary tho? No it wasn't.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hotfix 6 was released yesterday

:hammer_and_wrench:
Patch Notes - Early Access Hotfix 6

We wanted to drop one more hotfix with important updates, new torch items, as well as additional performance and visual improvements to make sure all of you have a great time with the game this weekend! We also fixed the rings!

Not to beat a dead Echo Knight Horse but please continue sharing issues or feedback you have with us!

:crossed_swords:
Art

• Improved rim light rendering in the shadows to improve game readability in dark areas. This should help with the “game is too dark” feedback we were getting in some cases.
  • Adjusted rim lighting looks even nicer and allows characters to feel more integrated into the environments!
Performance:

• Reduced unnecessary memory allocations for general rendering, fog, and other game systems
  • Optimized shadow rendering for all Visual Effects
Quests:

• Changed Potion Seller quest reward from a Medium XP Potion to a Small XP Potion.
Loot:

• Increased drop rate of gems
Content Additions:

• Added new Torch offhand for purchase at Whittacker’s shop and crafting at the Workbench
    • Torches can be used for more light in dark areas
Balance:

• Replaced Risen enemies on Prologue ship with special instances so they won’t be affected by global balance changes
  • Nerfed health on Risen enemies (except Risen Great Axe Raider) on Prologue ship by 40%
  • Rebalancing Cerim Crucible by nerfing enemies in the most deadly room and buffing enemies in weaker rooms
  • Increased timing of lowering platforms in Cerim Crucible so its more challenging and requires player to wait around less
  • Rebalanced Plague Ring
    • Increased Gain Health effect to 1-3%
    • Decreased Lose Focus effect to -7-10%
  • Rebalanced Snake Ring
    • Decreased damage dealt to player to 5%
    • Changed damage type dealt to player and enemy to Physical Damage instead of Plague Damage
Enemies and Bosses:

• Improved Risen Bruiser locomotion animations
Areas:

• Improved collision, faders and texture in Mariner’s Keep
  • Improved set dressing, collision and faders in Nameless Pass
  • Improved faders in Sacrament
  • Improved set dressing, collision and faders in Cerim Crucible
Audio:

• Improved Falstead Darak intro audio timing
Localization:

• Added and updated localized text in many places across multiple languages
  • Added localization support for the attribute insights tooltips, new Quit menu and depositing stacks UI
Bug Fixes:

• Fixed Crash on the Main Menu
  • Fixed some transparency rendering artifacts
  • Fixed Plagued Mutant Soldier bounty boss going invisible
  • Fixed Fog of War not creeping back while the game is closed
  • Fixed error spam on the Refinery
  • Fixed Fierce Ring not dealing extra damage
  • Fixed interior backgrounds no longer being black
  • Fixed Bows not having full durability when being purchased at Whittacker’s Shop
  • Fixed spot in Black Trench where you can go out of world
  • Fixed spot in Prologue ship interior where you can sidle and get stuck
  • Fixed spot in Echo Knight arena that resets the fight
  • Fixed shadow flickering at Campfire in Black Trench
  • Fixed spot with texture flickering in Black Trench
  • Fixed Chest inside a Chest appear in Orban Glades
  • Fixed UI layout so that coins are evenly spaced

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Anyone else having a hard time like actually navigating the levels/areas? I mean like not realizing you can climb certain areas or miss certain doors and windows you can actually climb out of?
I appreciate what they're "trying" to do with the camera but man it's really jarring for me in terms of exploration. Perhaps it's because the camera is set and you can't rotate it. I've fallen to my death
many times because I couldn't judge if I was 1 foot or 30 foot off the ground. Also, I'm not a fan swimming for a minute or so and then pretty much instant death via drowning. Stupid feature that takes
away the fun in trying to explore a level while in the water. Grrrrr it just feels "off" to me. Anyone else feel like this or am I just a old 52 year old boomer?

Don't get me wrong, I love the freaking game. It's incredibly atmospheric with immersive sound, graphics, weather, voice acting and more. I guess I'll just have to be patient and hope more people like
me are out there dealing with the same issue(s) so they can hopefully fix/modify some things in terms of level/biome exploration

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anyone else having a hard time like actually navigating the levels/areas? I mean like not realizing you can climb certain areas or miss certain doors and windows you can actually climb out of?
I appreciate what they're "trying" to do with the camera but man it's really jarring for me in terms of exploration. Perhaps it's because the camera is set and you can't rotate it. I've fallen to my death
many times because I couldn't judge if I was 1 foot or 30 foot off the ground. Also, I'm not a fan swimming for a minute or so and then pretty much instant death via drowning. Stupid feature that takes
away the fun in trying to explore a level while in the water. Grrrrr it just feels "off" to me. Anyone else feel like this or am I just a old 52 year old boomer?

Don't get me wrong, I love the freaking game. It's incredibly atmospheric with immersive sound, graphics, weather, voice acting and more. I guess I'll just have to be patient and hope more people like
me are out there dealing with the same issue(s) so they can hopefully fix/modify some things in terms of level/biome exploration
Yes, I encounter the same issues. I've died probably 20 times to jumping off a cliff instead of having the character initiate climbing. I've conditioned myself now to stop running any time I'm near a ledge. The fall damage is a bit excessive in general.

The maps are definitely labyrinthian to a fault. You've really got to take your time to find each little branching path.

Shodai

Yes, I encounter the same issues. I've died probably 20 times to jumping off a cliff instead of having the character initiate climbing. I've conditioned myself now to stop running any time I'm near a ledge. The fall damage is a bit excessive in general.

The maps are definitely labyrinthian to a fault. You've really got to take your time to find each little branching path.
I think there should be a dedicated jump. It would also enhance combat.

Luipadre

So i said fuck it and bought it. First impressions are holy fuck this looks gorgeous on my OLED monitor. It already looked good on streams, but wow...

Level design is amazing so far, animation quality too. I fucking love the feel of the movement and the combat, its heavy yet responsive. I didnt think this kind of combat would work this well in isometric view, but its satisfying af.

Game already amazing, this will be a gem with 1.0

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Two questions:

How many hours can one playthrough net me right now?

Did the performance for say a 3080 get to a locked 60fps yet?

Spyxos

I like the game. But it's a little bit too difficult for me. Especially when you're fighting 2 opponents at once, you're at far too much of a disadvantage. And most of my deaths are from falling down. And is it possible that you don't get anything when you defeat the second boss? I wanted to expand my inventory but I had nothing to redeem.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I like the game. But it's a little bit too difficult for me. Especially when you're fighting 2 opponents at once, you're at far too much of a disadvantage. And most of my deaths are from falling down. And is it possible that you don't get anything when you defeat the second boss? I wanted to expand my inventory but I had nothing to redeem.
Which boss did you fight second? The one on the bridge that ran away?

Top Bottom