• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 Predictions & Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be really odd to see Microsoft have a largely 1st party conference (party out of necessity) and Sony have a majorly 3rd party conference (mostly out of necessity).

I hope Microsoft's conference showcases some new, different games. Forza, Gears, Halo, Fable etc are all predictable and rather boring to me. I want to see more Quantum Break, but again that isn't new.

So Scalebound and whatever Rare are working on for me from them.

If they've lost a lot of marketing deals, they have to go heavily first party. If the rumours are true then they are left with Tomb Raider, The Division (2016), Rainbow Six Siege and whatever they announce at the show. Who knows, maybe they'll pick up Mirrors Edge?

From Sony, not really interested in COD, Battlefront, Assassins Creed etc. I'm interested to see which 1st party studios they will announce games from. Really interested in Guerilla Games' Horizon, so I'll want lots of details on that, Uncharted 4, whatever Quantic Dream are working on, God of War IV, RIME, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and The Tomorrow Children. Level 5 will be at Sony and I'm sure Square Enix will show up at some point. That could be good.

It'll be interesting at the end as to whose conferences I will prefer. I largely prefer Sony's historically, but they could really disappoint me this year with huge amounts of their conference dedicated to third parties.

If they do choose to have a lot of 3rd party, I hope they do them one after the other very quickly. Standing around and talking is what kills a conference.

Just thinking about it, marketing deals usually mean appearing on stage so at the very least if the rumours are true:

Star Wars: Battlefront
Assassins Creed: Syndicate
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Batman: Arkham Knight
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
No Man's Sky

If they spend 4-5 minutes on each, we are looking at 24 minutes of 3rd party before we start. Who knows what else if Level-5 and SE have parts too.

AAMARMO

Banned
Me and my friend found an anonymous source yesterday at night and we can confirm that he works at konami. But please take this information as grain of salt.

hrH0LLi.png

thuway

Sony has an ethos of only showing a game when it's 12 months out from launch, but I hope this E3 they reconsider. Microsoft, for all intents and purposes, appears to be going in with no stone unturned. They are shoving their best foot forward and are taking a do or die approach.

I really hope the World Wide Studios and 2nd party exclusives are crowning points in the conference. The gaming press, general populace, and enthusiast members of social media are immune to the "excluuuuuuuuuuusive content" rhetoric.

This is the third E3 featuring both PS4 and Xbox One. The game is on.

Sony has an ethos of only showing a game when it's 12 months out from launch, but I hope this E3 they reconsider. Microsoft, for all intents and purposes, appears to be going in with no stone unturned. They are shoving their best foot forward and are taking a do or die approach.

I really hope the World Wide Studios and 2nd party exclusives are crowning points in the conference. The gaming press, general populace, and enthusiast members of social media are immune to the "excluuuuuuuuuuusive content" rhetoric.

Why does this feel like an "I told you Sony needed to bring it" pre-emptive post :(

wow haha..truly is like a superbowl to some people

It feels like you say 10 different variant of this every year, and it's always ended up being a far cry from reality.

post-22522-Brittany-Big-Brother-cringe-gi-RjIc.gif

thuway

It feels like you say 10 different variant of this every year, and it's always ended up being a far cry from reality.

I'm just having fun and execs have mentioned it with that exact same term that this is the Superbowl of games. I'm not saying any platform will fail or succeed based on an E3, but this E3 should give us a good complexion of where the companies are. That's all :).

And Yes! I am hypeeeeed. I got my tickets to the PS E3 Movie Theater extravaganza. I'm hyped like no other ^_^!!

KAL2006

Banned
I think Sony will show games that are set for 2016 or even early 2017. Due to the lack of first party fames this year I reckon they wanna atleast get the fans to get atleast something to look forward to.

I think Sony will show games that are set for 2016 or even early 2017. Due to the lack of first party fames this year I reckon they wanna atleast get the fans to get atleast something to look forward to.

Not only will they have to show those games but they will also have to show gameplay trailers/demos if they are going to compete with an "every stone unturned" show from MS as thuway claims.

Don't want to be a downer but when has there ever been an E3 show that has delivered that much...

Not only will they have to show those games but they will also have to show gameplay trailers/demos if they are going to compete with an "every stone unturned" show from MS as thuway claims.

Don't want to be a downer but when has there ever been an E3 show that has delivered that much...

Sony at E3 2009 ?

thuway

To be honest, in the long term it's smarter for any one company to not show off something too early because you run the risk of becoming a Watch Dogs where you get over exposure. I'm sure Sony knows what they are doing, it's just the silence. My favorite first party titles are from Sony, so I'm "extra" hyped :).

Sony at E3 2009 ?

To this day, that E3 is still my favorite E3 of all time. What a show.

Well, of course they're going to show 2016 games given that we're in E3 2015. :p

As for 2017, we'll probably have 'intended for fall 2016' announcements this year that ends up getting delayed to 2017.

thuway

Well, of course they're going to show 2016 games given that we're in E3 2015. :p

As for 2017, we'll probably have 'intended for fall 2016' announcements this year that ends up getting delayed to 2017.

I hope so too. I think the Morpheus thing should be bad ass too.

Lucreto

Sony usually publish 8 titles a year. This year before E3 I count about 5. The Order, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Tearaway Unfolded,God Of War Remastered. To Sony that is sparse. To me it's a backlog.

I was looking for old E3's and ended up running across Sony's full E3 2001 conference. Here's the lineup in order of appearance

- Gran Turismo 3 trailer
- Jason Rubin and Andy Gavin present Jak and Daxter
- John Schappart presents Madden 2002
- Rory Armes presents SSX Tricky, NBA Street and Sled Storm
- Hironobu Sakaguchi presents Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
- Shinji Mikami presents Devil May Cry
- Team Silent presents Silent Hill 2
- Hideo Kojima presents Metal Gear Solid 2
- Seth Luisi presents SOCOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E95vcotJ-0U

Sony usually publish 8 titles a year. This year before E3 I count about 5. The Order, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Tearaway Unfolded,God Of War Remastered. To Sony that is sparse. To me it's a backlog.

One is a remaster and another is a semi-port. As Mr. Caffeine would say - yikes!

I'm hoping the PSN-only exclusives pick up some of the slack this year. I'm not really excited for The Tomorrow Children, but it'll probably be well received considering who's working on it. Rime I'm hoping will be great, if it even manages to come out this year. And there's also Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and No Man's Sky. That's not a bad line-up if they all make it out 2015 and turn out good, but that's a pretty big 'if'.

I was looking for old E3's and ended up running across Sony's full E3 2001 conference. Here's the lineup in order of appearance

- Gran Turismo 3 trailer
- Hironobu Sakaguchi presents Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Never seen this before! I might watch the whole thing at some point today.

Edit - Awww, they introduced Kaz and I was hoping he would still be chubby. I wanted to see Chubby Kaz walking around on stage dammit!

TomShoe

Banned

Yikes, I don't agree with this statement at all. I believe it's a widely held opinion on GAF that the last thing we want to see are vague CGI trailers for concepts of games with holiday 2017 release dates. No one wants a Phantom Dust situation where the game gets revealed and then canceled later (I know it's officially TBA, but until I hear anything else, it's dead). Show me some gameplay. Show me something, anything proving that this cake is hot in the oven and ready to be served up soon.

This is why people were more skeptical of the Battlefront reveal. CGI trailers 6 months from launch? CGI trailers only cause people to buy into something out of faith alone, and that's a recipe for disaster.

Yikes, I don't agree with this statement at all. I believe it's a widely held opinion on GAF that the last thing we want to see are vague CGI trailers for concepts of games with holiday 2017 release dates. No one wants a Phantom Dust situation where the game gets revealed and then canceled later (I know it's officially TBA, but until I hear anything else, it's dead). Show me some gameplay. Show me something, anything proving that this cake is hot in the oven and ready to be served up soon.

This is why people were more skeptical of the Battlefront reveal. CGI trailers 6 months from launch? CGI trailers only cause people to buy into something out of faith alone, and that's a recipe for disaster.

I agree. I rather have gameplay of announced games than CGI reveals. What's the point?

This whole notion that Sony should show games that will be released in two years or 2017 screams ignorant to me.

Why, when they've learnt their lesson with The Last Guardian would they risk revealing a game too early so as to appease — and let's admit it here — those trying to argue Sony has just as much exclusives as Microsoft.

The only reason Microsoft will be all out on the first-party front is because they've not been able to secure big-deal, fall-releasing third-party marketing deals due to the fact that their sales aren't as good as Sony's.

Missing MLB15

If we take out semi-remake and the remaster that leaves us with 5 games

MLB15
The Order
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Everybody's gone to the rapture

and MS with

Halo 5
Forza 6
Ori
Fable Legends

The difference with Battlefront "in-engine reveal" was that press/event-goers got to actually see gameplay. Same with Bloodborne. CGi reveal, but one day after, we found out the game's shown behind closed doors.

It's different from say, the initial Battlefront reveal back in E3 2013. That was pure CGi nonsense.

They have two teams. But we aren't sure how big the second team is. It exists and Evan Wells (ND's co-president) has confirmed that they're working on a game of the scale of Uncharted.

Not sure they're out of pre-production yet. I vaguely remember something like "our second team does work on another project, but the majority of our resources are focused on Uncharted 4". Not sure where it was though.

Missing MLB15

If we take out semi-remake and the remaster that leaves us with 5 games

MLB15
The Order
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Everybody's gone to the rapture

and MS with

Halo 5
Forza 6
Ori
Fable Legends

Also The Tomorrow Children and Rime and Shadow of the Beast
Didn't they also publish Helldivers?

When in doubt, list em.

Bolded for retail, non-bolded for digital, italics for remasters/ports.

hS57Uid.jpg

Rime, Alienation, Fat Princess Adventures & Shadow of the Beast are candidates of 'possible delaythons.'

Also The Tomorrow Children and Rime and Shadow of the Beast
Didn't they also publish Helldivers?

I was only counting IPs owned by the companies which were releasing this year. I know Rime and TTC are sony owned but i was skeptical about their release this year. Not sure about helldivers and SotB

I was only counting IPs owned by the companies which were releasing this year. I know Rime and TTC are sony owned but i was skeptical about their release this year. Not sure about helldivers and SotB

Sony owns both of those. Sony got Shadow of the Beast when they purchased the Amiga developer. Helldivers was Sony funded and published.

Rime, sure. TTC, nah.

wx9PpRo.jpg

yeah and before then he stated look forward to E3 for more info and another showcase.

So I have no doubt we will see a bunch more of TTC at E3 along with the release date. I always thought it would be 2015 for some reason. Really excited about it whenever it does release. One of my most anticipated.

Rime, well ... it was teased / shown way back in 2013. So it would be a bit surprising to me if it didn't release this year.

So I have no doubt we will see a bunch more of TTC at E3 along with the release date. I always thought it would be 2015 for some reason. Really excited about it whenever it does release. One of my most anticipated.

Based off what we saw of the alpha, the game's pretty 'ready' already.

It's not as if the game needs to add a 30-hour epic single player story or anything like that, it just needs slightly more diverse tools and gameplay mechanics to broaden the amount of things to do.

Rime, well ... it was teased / shown way back in 2013. So it would be a bit surprising to me if it didn't release this year.

Well, with the exception of EDGE staff (since they had an exclusive inside story), no one else of the games press have actually seen the game running for real.

I won't say that's a bad sign (Arkham Knight & TPP wasn't available to the press until recently either), but that normally means they don't really have the time to make demos.

Also, being over-ambitious can be a bad thing for small devs. Look at The Witness for example.

Why nah ?
TTC could be really cool

I was responding to Kuro-Law on his/her skeptism on releasing this year.

Rime potentially not this year, sure. Because it hasn't been featured in promotional content for 'releasing this year' and the game hasn't been shown with actual running gameplay yet.

TTC had a full alpha last year, and they're openly listing in their twitter as '2015 release' while saying more info at E3, implying a very high chance for a release this year.

- Gran Turismo 3 trailer

Wtf jack Tretton was already there? About 5 years ago he was all like 'im so excitee and nervous to be here blablabla.. I thought it was his first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom