• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT| Squidstyler

WALKMAN04

Yeah... but there are reasons why. You need the gamepad for the map (knowing what areas to ink), super jumps, etc, There's no way you could do any of that with a pro controller.
Im Pretty sure super jumps aren't the main reason because that can be easily done with buttons and a map on screen, I think it's for ink strikes, I can't think of a quicker way to do it or even one that takes less than 5 sec

But the latter type, the binary type, is there any negative to having them as a sub-perk? Like ninja squid for example. If you have it as a sub-perk instead of a primary, is it still just a binary toggle?

Abilities that cannot be sub abilities:

Ninja Squid
Stealth Jump
Ink Resistance Up
Tenacity
Opening Gambit
Last-Ditch Effort
Recon
Cold-Blooded
Haunt
Bomb Sniffer
Comeback

Im Pretty sure super jumps aren't the main reason because that can be easily done with buttons and a map on screen, I think it's for ink strikes, I can't think of a quicker way to do it or even one that takes less than 5 sec

But then you'd be super jumping blind right? I mean... the map is pretty big to be displayed as a HUD on the screen. I just feel like the game is primarily about "colors" and you don't want all of that on one screen. But maybe that's just me.

Razzorn34

This game has the most baffling game design decisions I've ever seen. It has such a good foundation then gets shit on by forcing you to play with 200-300 latency, only being able to play two maps every 4 hours, random attributes on gear, and so on.

I'm not sure where you are getting the latency issues, but I haven't ran into any.

The map rotation mechanic is interesting, but i'll take that over games that let you vote. Everyone always picks the same damn maps.

If there weren't random attributes, you'd have everyone running around with the same damn builds.

WALKMAN04

But then you'd be super jumping blind right? I mean... the map is pretty big to be displayed as a HUD on the screen. I just feel like the game is primarily about "colors" and you don't want all of that on one screen. But maybe that's just me.
I don't think it's too big it just probably wouldn't be color coded so yeah you probably would be jumping blind not knowing wats painted, just goes to show that there are a bunch of reasons nongamepad play is impossible

Timeaisis

I really don't understand the extra timer for Splatzones works. So one team controls the zone at the start of the game and get down to something like 35 pts, then the other teams conquers the zone and the first team has to wait 60 seconds while the second team can conquer it again and again without time penalty? I already lost several game this way
---
ot: why the hell doesn't the Wii U have a Ethernet port, Nintendo? You want me to buy an adapter to plug in a LAN cable, seriously

I *think* it depends on how long you go after your zone is captured. But no one really knows, it seems.

For instance, if you cap a zone, hold it for 50 seconds, then lose it and it goes un-capped for 30 seconds, and then the other team takes it, you get +30. If you took it back from the "neutral" state without the other team getting it, you don't have any overtime.

Dunno if that's how it actually works, though. Just seems like it.

Zemm

I'm not sure where you are getting the latency issues, but I haven't ran into any.

The map rotation mechanic is interesting, but i'll take that over games that let you vote. Everyone always picks the same damn maps.

If there weren't random attributes, you'd have everyone running around with the same damn builds.

You're getting latency issues every time you play with someone on the other side of the world. Either you're getting screwed or they are.

I wouldn't call something so limiting 'interesting'. It works fine on mk8.

Only if you design it so one or two items are a lot better than the rest and only one play style is viable, but it's not so there no need for the randomness.

I could go on with voice chat but it has been done to death. I thought maybe this game wouldn't need it but people are so bad in this game a little direction can't not help.

emb

Imo the focus on colors would make an on screen map that much more appealing. You can glance at the map and easily get an idea of where you stand pretty quickly.

A and B buttons are unused, it would be very cool if we could just press one of those to toggle an onscreen map over top of everything else; you're already looking away, not like you can see the tv while you look at the map anyway). Provided it appears/disappears quickly at least. You could press the dpad to choose between comrades and press another button to super jump to them. Might be a tiny bit slower, but not much worse than looking down at the game pad and readjusting your entire hand position to touch the screen, honestly.

The only thing that I see being at all worse with a pro controller is the aiming. If only the pro controller had gyro support, it would be perfect.

So hey tell me THIS. There are two basic types of perks, right. You've got ones that improve your ability to some percentage, maybe give you a little more defense, save a little bit of ink, etc. But then you've got ones that are a binary toggle, something like "you're invisible in ink now."

The former type, they stack, but there are diminishing returns. Maybe your primary one does 50% but then the sub does another 10% or something I dunno. And if you have the ability as a sub instead of primary, it's inherently weaker.

But the latter type, the binary type, is there any negative to having them as a sub-perk? Like ninja squid for example. If you have it as a sub-perk instead of a primary, is it still just a binary toggle?

If that's the case, any build should strive to have primary that are the percentage-improvement types, and then secondaries that are binary, yeah?

The "binary toggle" perks can only be primary. They aren't available as sub perks

Edit - Damn, I have been beaten:

Abilities that cannot be sub abilities:

Ninja Squid
Stealth Jump
Ink Resistance Up
Tenacity
Opening Gambit
Last-Ditch Effort
Recon
Cold-Blooded
Haunt
Bomb Sniffer
Comeback

This gentleman knows what's up.

phanphare

Banned
You're getting latency issues every time you play with someone on the other side of the world. Either you're getting screwed or they are.

I wouldn't call something so limiting 'interesting'. It works fine on mk8.

Only if you design it so one or two items are a lot better than the rest and only one play style is viable, but it's not so there no need for the randomness.

I could go on with voice chat but it has been done to death. I thought maybe this game wouldn't need it but people are so bad in this game a little direction can't not help.

I do think a lot of the sub weapons, specials, and gear attributes as well as the gamepad usage were designed and balanced around not having voice chat. if they were to add it in it'd be best if they kept it to private lobbies.

So you can cheat on ranked it seems. You can stay with B on a ranked battles of C- if you are really good and necer go out, do you are playing only vs noobs. There is a guy on my lobby using that tactic.

emb

Lag makes it so hard to ink and swim.
It's one of the worst feelings in the world to run around in the level trying to paint things, only for the ink to not cover the area at all. Right up there with a messed up computer letting you move the mouse around, but not responding to click events at all.

At least most of the laggy matches like that (for me, so far) either work themselves out or just kill the match so you don't have to suffer.

tebunker

Banned
Had a splat zone go into OT last night mainly because my team got lax with 5 seconds to go and a perfectly timed ink strike.

It would have been nice to know how OT worked too, we ended up splitting the score 49.7 v 49.8 at the end and splitting the rewards even though my team choked.

This is part of the problem with no physical manuals and no easy resources to explain a game.

I enjoyed the ranked mode especially once people started realizing how to play the mode correctly.

Highwind

I've done it, GAF. ;-;

I've hit Level 20! ;-; Had the game since Friday.

I think I am gonna take a break from it now. Done enough turf wars and Splat Zones suck ass.

mclem

Something that I need to start paying attention to is to be careful when changing into squid form. The grate flooring in the mall area has led to my watery demise multiple times because when I dodge up there I instinctively hit the squid button lol.

One thing I noticed on the SP versions of Bluefin Depot is that the grates there should make it very hard to completely infiltrate the opposition base, yet still theoretically possible. I think it's a nice mechanic - areas where an attacking force is forced to be exposed.

The catwalks in Kelp Dome should be interesting, too.

ViviOggi

You're getting latency issues every time you play with someone on the other side of the world. Either you're getting screwed or they are
Or both when you die simultaneously seemingly without having taken a single hit. The client fills in missing positional info very generously but whenever your'e fighting Japanese players it becomes extremely apparent. This isn't some magical netcode, it's a smokescreen.

Dr. Buni

This is the most annoying thing about games with voice chat. Certain players wanting to dictate how others should play, which is why Splatoon not having it is a good thing to me.

WALKMAN04

So you can cheat on ranked it seems. You can stay with B on a ranked battles of C- if you are really good and necer go out, do you are playing only vs noobs. There is a guy on my lobby using that tactic.
Don't hate on my technique

No I think they fill up based on the highest person so eventually as the lowers quit to play with their own rank you play with the right ranks, and also if someone rides that wave of lower tiers they'll just get recked when they try to play ranked again later

No idea why people are so down on splat zones. They're a really fun dynamic!

The matches are generally very uneven and you don't get any progression at all if you lose. There should be 3 or 4 zones per area so there more strategy than hop around like a maniac

atr0cious

This is the most annoying thing about games with voice chat. Certain players wanting to dictate how others should play, which is why Splatoon not having it is a good thing to me.

Word, I love discussing strategies, but at the end of the day, I love the controlled chaos that is Splatoon. Ask Eisenhower: "Plans are useless, but planning is indispensible," and I really feel this game embodies that.

RiggyRob

Plus, it's far too easy for a team to be wiped out in the first 30 seconds which guarantees you'll lose the game. I'm really surprised there aren't two or three Splat Zones in Saltspray Rig.

Zomba13

But when you have idiots on your team covering everything but the splat zone maybe they need to be told how to play?

Regiruler

Plus, it's far too easy for a team to be wiped out in the first 30 seconds which guarantees you'll lose the game. I'm really surprised there aren't two or three Splat Zones in Saltspray Rig.

You get a bonus if you overtake a zone and your opponent is low on their countdown while yours hasn't started yet.

Or something like that. IDK how it works.
But when you have idiots on your team covering everything but the splat zone maybe they need to be told how to play?

What map are you angry about exactly? Covering non-splatzone is helpful to build the special meter, which can be used to take back the zone, and is a common practice in saltspray where there's an easy, open area right next to the zone (which is very defensible I might add, making it a very good attack front).

Zemm

Or both when you die simultaneously seemingly without having taken a single hit. The client fills in missing positional info very generously but whenever your'e fighting Japanese players it becomes extremely apparent. This isn't some magical netcode, it's a smokescreen.

Exactly. It's really obvious to me too which is why I don't understand people saying the net code is great. It's not bad at all, it pretty much does as you'd expect but it's not magic.

Shahadan

Regardless of the inherent pros and cons of voice chat, matches here are so short and fast paced than I fail to imagine how you would "strategize" with it. Ink surfaces changes too often and people are too mobile

"OMG Dark_something look behin..."*splat*
Also multiple languages, too short time for a good leader to emerge even in the rare instance where not all 4 guys want to give orders, etc

What I imagine is mainly people screaming "take that zone back!" or "paint there" which would basically be repeating the obvious.

When we have friend lobbies and teams, that would be different though. Even if I can't imagine it being a significant benefit compared to other games.

Top Bottom