• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Splatoon series has now sold over 30 million copies

daclynk

with today's update to splatoon 3's sales, the series combined sales have now surpassed 30 million copies:
  • Splatoon (released in May 2015) - 4.95M as of March 2023
  • Splatoon 2 (released in July 2017) - 13.60M as of December 2022
  • Splatoon 3 (released in September 2022) - 11.71M as of December 2023
which brings the total to 30.26 million. pretty good for a new-ish IP.

Lock if old.
Thread from installbase.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Wii U Smile GIF

Sadly I don’t have the time or interest to keep up with Splatoon (bought 3 for support but never even unsealed it).
But it’s one of the most original IPs of the last decade. Incredible design, excellent gameplay. I had a great time with the first two games.

Never did vibe with it. But it defied the odds and managed to overcome its Wii U birthing, so congrats to the dev team.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Splatoon 3 has been my first but it’s my most played Switch game and I’m now a huge fan of the series. I can’t wait to see what they do with newer hardware.

DaGwaphics

I'll admit, as someone completely outside this ecosystem, this has always looked like a fun one. Congrats to them.

Robb

Gold Member
Cool, fun series.

I do hope they change things up a bit more in Splatoon 4 though. The games are starting to feel very samey to me. Nintendo is usually good at changing things up, so I hope they do something more unexpected with the next one.

Last edited:
Coincidence that this comes out on release date of Foamstars?

The first game was amazing due to the Wii U game pad usage. Second game was great until it became locked behind switch online. My whole family used to play it together. Once Nintendo decided to charge extra for online, it died. The online matchmaking very clearly declined in quality.

Yamisan

Wow, took them a long time. Palworld is almost caught up with them and the game is only like 2 weeks old.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I do not play online MP games. Almost never, but I played the hell out the first splatoon online for a few months.

Nintendo devs just get that games are suppose to be FUN. They get that more than anyone else these days. Hell I even played fzero99 for a few weeks. 👍

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Loved 2, 3 is meh but I still play it daily (Salmon Run). Content wise they really dropped the ball in 3. 2 at least gave us 2 new modes, 3 has none.

They really need a change things in 4. I wanna see much more. more. MORE!

I can't decide if I should buy Splatoon 3 on sale right now (sale ends tonight). I've heard so many mixed opinions on it. I'm more interested in the campaigns and dlc for this game though and there's the Side Order expansion coming out in a couple weeks...anyone have thoughts?

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I can't decide if I should buy Splatoon 3 on sale right now (sale ends tonight). I've heard so many mixed opinions on it. I'm more interested in the campaigns and dlc for this game though and there's the Side Order expansion coming out in a couple weeks...anyone have thoughts?
I'd buy the campaign+DLC pack if they are both on sale.

nbkicker

Loved splatoon 1 + 2, played single player campain in 3, but I tend to play turf war and splatoon 3 matches always seem to be over powered one way or the other never seems a close match, plus annoys me when playing and u look back on map and there two players just siting at the start of the map trying to colour every single mm at end of game the never made it off home point, but then again you got to take this when prob loads of 3-4yr olds playing since it nintendo

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I mostly played Splatoon because of the free online back then. Such a fantastic concept.

Happy to see it’s increasing in popularity for Nintendo.

Top Bottom