• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fight scene in the pit with Jorah was choreographed horribly, though I imagine that might have something to do with the dude that plays Jorah being old as shit so I'll give it a pass.

zma1013

The fight scene in the pit with Jorah was choreographed horribly, though I imagine that might have something to do with the dude that plays Jorah being old as shit so I'll give it a pass.

All the fights this season have been crappy though with the exception of Jon Snow vs. Mr. White Walker. Even then there was a moment where dude could have shanked Jon but decided not to. I hope they get some better fight choreography next season.

Nameless

Why couldn't the Lord of Light be content with an animal sacrifice ?

7HdPt9a.gif

Lorcain

My man Jorah showing you how it is done.

bK0yDth.gif
Jorah completely disoriented the Meereenese champion with the double sandle flippy roll in the beginning. That was pure genius. No way he was expecting that.

I bet the local champ was like, "Oh shit, he's flippity rolling wtf do I do"...dead.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It's funny how every week there are still so many people available to get mad at Game of Thrones. Why didn't you stop watching the week prior when you got mad?

This Harpy stuff, please let it end. The Unsullied have been raised to fight, yet some guys in masks, with daggers and no armor, none of whom have probably ever killed a man before, seem to set the Unsullied into confusion and disarray and make them forget how to fight long enough to be stabbed en masse. And then, because again, the Harpies have fearsome masks and daggers, when a FIRE-BREATHING DRAGON comes along, they don't run. No, they stand and fight in their non-flame retardant robes, and somehow attain a large quantity of spears to hurl at said dragon. Surely, if the Harpies descended upon King's Landing, it would be a slaughter.

Also, Stannis is going to burn in dragon fire (perhaps literally) for what he's done. There's no coming back from burning your daughter alive.

I just woke from a dream about Got (wtf?!). In it the White Walker King and his army make it to Kings Landing. Chaos ensues and there is a lot of death as the Kings Guard is slaughtered. The White Walker King makes it to the abandoned throne room and stares at the empty seat. In an instant he uses his sword to destroy the seat that so many have coveted. To him it is no more than a foolish symbol of man's pride. It is throne made from the swords of men who failed and to which his army now consists of. It is weak steel that shatters from the touch of his righteous weapon. He crafts a new one of ice and sits as the new rightful ruler.

I just woke from a dream about Got (wtf?!). In it the White Walker King and his army make it to Kings Landing. Chaos ensues and there is a lot of death as the Kings Guard is slaughtered. The White Walker King makes it to the abandoned throne room and stares at the empty seat. In an instant he uses his sword to destroy the seat that so many have coveted. To him it is no more than a foolish symbol of man's pride. It is throne made from the swords of men who failed and to which his army now consists of. It is weak steel that shatters from the touch of his righteous weapon. He crafts a new one of ice and sits as the new rightful ruler.

Then b-ran strikes him down

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Assassinating your brother a few days before he was going to start an uprising against you to spare the lives of thousands is much different than burning your own daughter at the stake for hope of religious retribution.

He also had his brother in law burned alive for not changing religions, signed off on his nephew being burned alive, and then burned Mance alive for not bending the knee. The dude is evil.

Anyways.

We've got a dragon rider in the house baby.

So who are the Harpies?
So far the season told us they are rich guys / former slave owners. There's also that one episode in which they search a house and arrest a Harpie hiding out? Can't remember the details but I guess he was killed before he could spill the beans about whose in charge etc.?

Do they wear the Masks to hide their identity?

I'm asking because in the colosseum it looked like the Harpies were killing everyone, including rich people. Not only talking about Dany's husband (as he could be seen as a traitor) but also the upper class wearing these yellow robes etc.
They seem to be quite able to fight which is also a bit weird although I guess rich people would be more educated. IIRC there was also a woman under the mask when they were BBQ-ed so I don't think they can be sell-swords. Even though their high numbers don't make much sense IMO.

Maybe it's just bad writing like that scene in Dorne. I mean, first she plots to kill the Lannister daughter but then a flip is switched and she is soo sorry about it and knows that the daughter is not to blame etc.

zma1013

This Harpy stuff, please let it end. The Unsullied have been raised to fight, yet some guys in masks, with daggers and no armor, none of whom have probably ever killed a man before, seem to set the Unsullied into confusion and disarray and make them forget how to fight long enough to be stabbed en masse. And then, because again, the Harpies have fearsome masks and daggers, when a FIRE-BREATHING DRAGON comes along, they don't run. No, they stand and fight in their non-flame retardant robes, and somehow attain a large quantity of spears to hurl at said dragon. Surely, if the Harpies descended upon King's Landing, it would be a slaughter.

Also, Stannis is going to burn in dragon fire (perhaps literally) for what he's done. There's no coming back from burning your daughter alive.

Eh, I'm not too bothered with the depiction of the unsullied. They are facing guerrilla warfare tactics in a cramped city but it appears they were trained for more formal battle out on an open field. She's trying to use them as peace keepers when the city has a hidden terrorist element hiding in it. Everytime we see them get beaten it's because they have been placed into a trap and surrounded with superior numbers.

As for the assumption that they are the greatest warriors in the land or whatever, remember who said that, the guy that was trying to sell them. I figure anyone trying to sell something might try to make it out as something that's better than everything else. I just see them as fearless warriors who do exactly as they command, yet their fighting skills are just on the same level as any other warriors in the lands. Perhaps they need to do a scene where they kick some butt or something because I guess they haven't really done that.

MagnesD3

Am I the only one who thinks the Red Witch is leading Stannis on making him believe he is meant to be the true king when he is actually not and the Red Witch is actually using him as a means for Khaleesi to become the true ruler or some other motive.

I think Jon being saved by stannis's army was also part of the Red Witches plan.

THRILLH0

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks the Red Witch is leading Stannis on making him believe he is meant to be the true king when he is actually not and the Red Witch is actually using him as a means for Calice to become the true ruler or some other motive.

lol. At least try man!

Eh, I'm not too bothered with the depiction of the unsullied. They are facing guerrilla warfare tactics in a cramped city but it appears they were trained for more formal battle out on an open field. She's trying to use them as peace keepers when the city has a hidden terrorist element hiding in it. Everytime we see them get beaten it's because they have been placed into a trap and surrounded with superior numbers.

As for the assumption that they are the greatest warriors in the land or whatever, remember who said that, the guy that was trying to sell them. I figure anyone trying to sell something might try to make it out as something that's better than everything else. I just see them as fearless warriors who do exactly as they command, yet their fighting skills are just on the same level as any other warriors in the lands. Perhaps they need to do a scene where they kick some butt or something because I guess they haven't really done that.

I agree that in a close-quarters, chaotic situation the Unsullied may be at a disadvantage. But the Harpies are rich slave-owners. All the fighting in that city is done in the fighting pits. So you've got out-of-shape, poorly-trained dagger wielding upper-class wearing robes against trained, professional, armored soldiers with spears. Judging by Grey Worm's skills when him, Jorah, and Daurio fought against endless waves of soldiers, if most of them are 75% as good as him, they are badass fighters. It's silly. Even more silly is the bravery of the Harpies to just rush cavalierly at the soldiers, or at a dragon. Quiet assassinations were one thing, but brazen attacks by upper-class nobility just doesn't ring true to me. The Harpies just feel like a tacked-on plot device to move the narrative forward.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I agree that in a close-quarters, chaotic situation the Unsullied may be at a disadvantage. But the Harpies are rich slave-owners. All the fighting in that city is done in the fighting pits. So you've got out-of-shape, poorly-trained dagger wielding upper-class wearing robes against trained, professional, armored soldiers with spears. Judging by Grey Worm's skills when him, Jorah, and Daurio fought against endless waves of soldiers, if most of them are 75% as good as him, they are badass fighters. It's silly. Even more silly is the bravery of the Harpies to just rush cavalierly at the soldiers, or at a dragon. Quiet assassinations were one thing, but brazen attacks by upper-class nobility just doesn't ring true to me. The Harpies just feel like a tacked-on plot device to move the narrative forward.

As explained in the show, most of them aren't noblemen, but poor people paid by noblemen to do their bidding.

You point still stands, though. Those Unsullied are real glass cannons.

Morokh

That is among the million things the show fails to properly explain by taking giant shortcuts in the narrative compared to the books, just don't look too far into it if you just watch the show.

Simplet

The problem with the unsullied is not even their fighting abilities, they always get outnumbered ten to one and caught by surprise. The problem is their completely incompetent management, how the fuck do they always get caught by surprise and outnumbered ten to one, when they have a massive army occupying the city and even the support of the people?

I can begin to understand an ambush, but they let a small army get into the arena for the biggest public event of the year in the middle of a known insurrection, and they have like fifty dudes guarding the entire coliseum? 15 minutes later despite the population fleeing in all directions screaming, and a fucking dragon torching people to death from the sky the rest of the army still hasn't caught on?

You think the white walkers are gonna stop and chill in the north after feasting on the people at Winterfell?

Oh, you interpret it as the threat against the white walkers? Hahaha, sure. I'm sure Stannis will be the one to save millions from the white walkers. And even still, you don't need to be a king to do such a thing.

Repeat: Stannis lovers are brain-washed.

Five

Banned
Oh, you interpret it as the threat against the white walkers? Hahaha, sure. I'm sure Stannis will be the one to save millions from the white walkers. And even still, you don't need to be a king to do such a thing.

Repeat: Stannis lovers are brain-washed.
I don't know if he'll succeed, but that's certainly what he's trying to do. Better than being in denial.

burnfout

Man after the high of last weeks episode, episode 9 was a sucker punch of shite.

Arya's scenes were unnecessary controversial, Dorne was awful again ( his one condition was a punch in the face, really?!), Sand Snakes were terrible again, everything with the harpies and the unsullied is just offensive, the fighting action is piss poor, the plot armor of Dany at the end, her riding Drogon was Disney princess level of awkwardness instead of badass.

What a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom