• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
sillymonkey321 said:
I just went to the new indie games section because this announcement sparked interest and am reminded why i never go there. It's like the trash bin of gaming that i don't take seriously. Microsoft seriously needs to organize the Indie games section into gaming and just general software apps because stuff like My Fishtank, 3D Magic Images, Shiatsou Massage, and Urban Art Gallery that are on the TOP screen right now make me want to immediatly stop browsing indie games.

At least they have the IGN Top Picks category, that's a small start.

Look at some of the blogs for the new dashboard being released on 8/11. Most of these things are being addressed.

StAidan said:
Guess I might as well plug my upcoming Community/Indie Game.

Aesop's Garden is somewhat reminiscent of older action/puzzle games like Adventures of Lolo (NES) or Mole Mania (GB). (EDIT: It also has the total retro feel going for it with 8-bit style graphics and FamiTracker-generated chiptunes.) The coding is mostly complete at this point and the bulk of the remaining development time is going toward content.

Over-the-top trailer :D : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7sHw6QUEto

Screenshots: http://www.excaliburstudios.com/

The game does include a level editor for maximum replayability, and there will be some little secrets and challenge levels to unlock as well.

I will pick this up when you release it. It looks like a lot of fun.

I think the service is perfect for nice 8-bit NES style games.

Anso

I didn't quite understand part of the announcement, does this mean Sweden will be getting the Indie Games channel or just preparing for it by submitting to it?

SickBoy

Diablohead said:
Now that is a damn good price.

Easy Golf was formerly 400, right? At 240 I should give it a try. I really don't care about golf games in general, but for a few bucks, and apparently being quite good, I really should at least download the demo.

SickBoy

Hmm, sorry about the double post, but Beat Blox is also 80. I tried it and didn't care for it (really couldn't wrap my head around it), but it's really a game that's worth a try. It looks pretty good and seems well made based on my talentless fumblings with it.

Hope these games see a nice bump in sales from these price shifts...

Have anybody played Angry Barry? I downloaded the Trial but it saying that it was corrupted. The game look pretty fun and have a bunch political jokes, it looks hilarious.

Kafel

Banned
PhlivoSong said:
Are you adding avatar support to Easy Golf, or is avatar support coming in Easy Golf 2 (assuming that exists)? Neither is also a valid option...

I'd guess EG2, there's an early video around btw.

Aaron

bricks4ever also 80pts. Pretty cool breakout clone, so I'd say it's worth it. I hope some of the others get the drop. There are a few 400pts ones I'd be happy to risk 240 on. I think if they make this more prominent with the lower prices the impulse sales would be great. It's still too buried, and I'm not expecting MS to change that, sadly.

Kafel said:
I'd guess EG2, there's an early video around btw.
Cool. Hope he adds Tiger Woods style swing support. Don't like button pushing style myself.

Iknos

toythatkills said:
What's 70% of nothing?

I'd take the 30%.

A game like that could have given Community Games a lot of attention.

When you get published your game could be "Screwjumped". It's sorta politically themed too publishers could ask that to be toned down.

There's good reasons why developers/musicians/etc want to remain indie. They should be allowed to sell their games at fair prices. Steam Indie games go from $5 up to $20 and those $20 games still sell pretty good.

We're playing Halo tonight I'm gonna see if he wants to make simpler more basic games for CG. He didn't pay $100 a year yet so he could just go back to PC.

chixdiggit

Aaron said:
bricks4ever also 80pts. Pretty cool breakout clone, so I'd say it's worth it.

So worth it. It has really cool scrolling stages and is great fun in co-op. I liked it better than the XBLA Arkanoid release.

Gowans

:lol barkers I saw that gt vid a while ago and chuckled at the comments.

I know your being tight lipped on avatar golf / easy golf 2. Hope you get it out as soon as poss, expect it will do great, looks fab!

xbhaskarx

Gowans007 said:
I know your being tight lipped on avatar golf / easy golf 2.

Do these people have to get name approval from Microsoft? It would probably get a lot more attention as Avatar Golf or 360 Avatar Golf than it would as Easy Golf 2...

Just watched the videos: there's something not quite right about the ball, hopefully that can be fixed. Also why is the desert white like a sand trap instead of yellow/orange/red?

Anso

I can confirm that people in Sweden are now able to download XNA Indie Games. I've only tried by putting them into the queue from Xbox.com but it works!

THIS IS FUCKING FANTASTIC! I'm gonna go on a shopping spree now!

EDIT: Also, yeah. The furry game looks amazing. I'm actually in a dev team working on a game called 'Kaleidoscope' for DBP too and that right there is the toughest opponent.

Anso said:
I can confirm that people in Sweden are now able to download XNA Indie Games. I've only tried by putting them into the queue from Xbox.com but it works!

THIS IS FUCKING FANTASTIC! I'm gonna go on a shopping spree now!

EDIT: Also, yeah. The furry game looks amazing. I'm actually in a dev team working on a game called 'Kaleidoscope' for DBP too and that right there is the toughest opponent.

Each year in the competition 2-5 or so games come out of nowhere that nobody knew about and blow the competition away.

Anso

barkers crest said:
Each year in the competition 2-5 or so games come out of nowhere that nobody knew about and blow the competition away.

Yeah, I know. I was actually part of the Artoon team, making the music, so I've been in one DBP already. All I know is that it's terribly unsure.

ShogunX

Crescendo Symphony

The description is in Japanese but -

xboxboxart.jpg

screen2_Web.jpg
screen1_Web.jpg

screen3_Web.jpg
screen4_Web.jpg

240 Allards. Impressions - soon.

Download Link

Anso

That's Crescendo Symphony. Trial'd it, didn't found it very exciting to be perfectly honest but glad to see some Japanese content. Pretty hot soundtrack by MintJam though!

ShogunX

Anso said:
That's Crescendo Symphony. Trial'd it, didn't found it very exciting to be perfectly honest but glad to see some Japanese content. Pretty hot soundtrack by MintJam though!

Yeah the soundtrack is cool but im not sure if this one stage is actually the only stage in the game. If this is the case then damn what a wasted opportunity.

Speevy

Banned
Crescendo Symphony reminds me of one of those create-a-shooters you find in Dezaemon Kids.

I'm certain no one has the foggiest idea of what I'm talking about, so I'll explain. The Dezaemon series is a Japan-only Saturn/Playstation game which allows you to make your own shooting game. The best ones were released on a compilation disc included with Dezaemon Kids. Some are good, some are just bizarre. But they all have this in common: Strange difficulty curve, few enemies, and oddball bullets/power-ups.

Crescendo Symphony seems less like the next HD shmup classic and more like a homemade exercise in tedium.

mclaren777

What kind of publishing rights does Microsoft exercise over XNA titles? Would it be possible for something like Miner Dig Deep (my favorite game on the Xbox 360, by the way) to be released on other platforms like the iPhone, WiiWare, Steam, et al?

I know that I'd happily pay $15 if it came to PSN, but I think the odds of that happening are probably fairly low. :(

Noogy

The creators own the IP of their Indie Game... it's not until the game is released to the XBLA that IP is discussed.

I doubt you'd see any XNA title on the PSN. Besides the need to port, the PSN doesn't have an outlet for 'true' independents. Devs would have to publish like any other PSN title. Of course, if the game was good enough, then such an arrangement could be made.

mclaren777

But if an XNA developer managed to tap into Sony's recently-announced Pub Fund initiative, surely they could bring their IP over without fear of failure (assuming the game was good, of course). And given how weak sales have been for XBLCG in general, perhaps part of the agreement with Sony could even include removal of the title from Microsoft's service.

Speevy

Banned
I'd never be in favor of deleting games, but some of this content is just stinking up the place.

Like the game review one. Get this. You purchase a game, then add games to it, and score them arbitrarily. But you can also add titles. The titles don't need to actually exist mind you. You simply add them.

The person who thought of this is a genius.

ShogunX

mclaren777 said:
But if an XNA developer managed to tap into Sony's recently-announced Pub Fund initiative, surely they could bring their IP over without fear of failure (assuming the game was good, of course). And given how weak sales have been for XBLCG in general, perhaps part of the agreement with Sony could even include removal of the title from Microsoft's service.

What the hell? Why the hell would this kind of stuff even cross your mind? :lol

Speevy said:
I'd never be in favor of deleting games, but some of this content is just stinking up the place.

Like the game review one. Get this. You purchase a game, then add games to it, and score them arbitrarily. But you can also add titles. The titles don't need to actually exist mind you. You simply add them.

The person who thought of this is a genius.
That would actually be mildly useful if it was used properly, though.

Oh, and if Microsoft weren't including that functionality in the next dash update. I like how it was rushed out to preempt that

mclaren777

Shogun PaiN said:
What the hell? Why the hell would this kind of stuff even cross your mind? :lol
I believe you only qualify for Pub Fund support if your game is exclusive to PSN. And based on Gamasutra's report, I don't think many XBLCG developers are making so much money that they'd turn down a risk-free publishing deal with Sony.

GDC 2009: Sony Offering to Help Fund PSN-Exclusives

Sony has announced a new incentive program to encourage independent developers to make their downloadable titles exclusive to the PlayStation Network, reports IGN. SCEA's Chris Eden gave word of a new "Sony Pub Fund," set up to go towards developers willing to pledge loyalty to the PlayStation 3. The offer is generous, matching the development budget with guaranteed royalties, as well as assisting with game design and marketing. Despite that, entering into the Pub Fund agreement doesn't mean Sony is taking over the property. Indie developers would still retain the rights and be able to set the price. The report also notes that Eden declined to comment on a cap to the budget matching, but said he would discuss it with developers willing to sign a nondisclosure agreement.

Source

Finally some Japanese 2D shooters.
Some dude just needs to port Blue Wish Resurrection++++, Cho Ren Sha 68k, Kamui, and Galshell to XNA and be done with it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Some dude just needs to port Blue Wish Resurrection++++, Cho Ren Sha 68k, Kamui, and Galshell to XNA and be done with it.

yeah, i hope the masses of Japanese homebrew start hitting XNA as well as the local doujin shops - so it'll only save me a trip to the shops, but it'll be frigging great for everyone.

Fingers crossed.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Hunahan said:
Could you elaborate?

XNA is compatible with RPG maker?
Action Game Creator and the next version of RPG Maker (not the version linked) can export XNA compatible code, thus games made from both engines can be played on the 360.

As for Crescendo Symphony, it's 1 of 3 games. Kobito Studio specializes in XNA development, and their games will also be at launch of the JP Indies Games service on 8/11. The other two games that will follow Crescendo Symphony are:

Crescendo Symphony -The Mirror Knight-
2881u1x.jpg

A puzzle RPG.

Even so, I still love you
2po8x05.jpg

A visual novel of sorts.

DerrickH

Neo Member
I've dropped the price of my game down to 80pts.
Revenge of the Ball http://tinyurl.com/lz8cxa
xboxboxart.jpg

Check it out. At the $1 mark, Im hoping the impulse buy mode kicks in .

Maybe the new pricing options will bring an influx of titles and slow down the mass developer exodus to the iPhone. The thing is, the conversion rates from trial to full versions on XNA games are excellent(mine was bouncing between 5% and 10%). But the number of views/downloads is so low that it still doesnt matter. If visibility gets raised with the new changes, that alone will go a long way into making the service worthwhile.

icecream said:
Action Game Creator and the next version of RPG Maker (not the version linked) can export XNA compatible code, thus games made from both engines can be played on the 360.

As for Crescendo Symphony, it's 1 of 3 games. Kobito Studio specializes in XNA development, and their games will also be at launch of the JP Indies Games service on 8/11. The other two games that will follow Crescendo Symphony are:

Even so, I still love you
2po8x05.jpg

A visual novel of sorts.

That ones up. Sex content is 3/3

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/00000001-0000-4000-8000-000058550272

icecream

Public Health Threat
Anso said:
I'd play but I figure it's only in Japanese :/
The demo doesn't tell much. It's ADV style, and all it contains is the class president confessing to the protagonist and telling him how much she loves him over and over again. :lol

Rumble Massage is now 80ms points. :lol

Few other games to fall in price...

Tower Revolution - 240ms points
Aquarium HD - 80ms points
Zoom - 80ms points
StrikeForce-Psi - 80ms points
Being - 80ms points
Beatblox - 80ms points
Corsair - 240ms points
Aria - 80ms points
Hieronymus Bash - 80ms points
Wordzy - 80ms points