• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

Been quiet about this, But seriously? Naughty Dog makes amazing, chart topping, cutting edge games time and time again while GG have fumbled time and time again with Killzone.

Some of you people are completely delusional.

I don't think you ever played KZ2. The thing about Killzone is that it didn't have mass appeal like the Uncharted series has, it only clicked with a certain percentage of FPS enthusiasts. But no one denies the technical craftsmanship GG demonstrated with these titles. Horizon seems to have the same mass appeal as Uncharted has, and all the signs thus far point towards it having a solid foundation regarding gameplay and lore. Only time can tell how successful Horizon will be, but from presentation hype alone it's a fair assessment to conclude that ND has competition. Horizon appears to generate similar levels of hype as games as TLOU and TLG did during their first reveals (both being unique and unproven IPs).

The girl literally melees a small watcher bot at the beginning of the demo.

She does, but that appears to be a type of contextual melee. I think he means if you can really wield a melee weapon in similar fashion as you can the bow. Seeing how there are 4 weapon slots, and I'm assuming you can switch them out for even more weapons, it wouldn't surprise me if there would be some melee based weaponry. But personally I would rather keep my distance from a Thundermaul.

She does, but that appears to be a type of contextual melee. I think he means if you can really wield a melee weapon in similar fashion as you can the bow. Seeing how there are 4 weapon slots, and I'm assuming you can switch them out for even more weapons, it wouldn't surprise me if there would be some melee based weaponry. But personally I would rather keep my distance from a Thundermaul.

She also wields a spear, but it remains to be seen if you can just choose to use that instead of the bow, whether it's contextual or not to use it.

She also wields a spear, but it remains to be seen if you can just choose to use that instead of the bow, whether it's contextual or not to use it.

Indeed, but because it doesn't show up on the weapon wheel it's unclear how freely you can wield it. It suggests to me it's not a free wielding choice.

If this is the WRPG Monster Hunter/Dragon's Dogma we've been waiting for it's going to be real shame if that isn't an option, though. They keep calling it an action RPG so I can't believe it'll just be a shooter, but nothing I've seen indicates that melee is going to be a thing in Horizon.

wouwie

Horizon looks to be a promising new IP judging by the reveal. I love these kind of settings (reminded me a bit of Enslaved) and the artwork and visuals were beautiful (as is mostly the case with Guerilla games). There were lots of little visual details in that demo too, like the birds in the sky and those flying up from the ground (goose, judging by the noice they made). The soundtrack and narration was great. It's going to be great just exploring this beautiful world, especially with night/day and dynamic weather.

One thing that i especially liked about this demo was the fact that the main character seemed to have a bond with / respect for the creatures in the world. Somehow, i found this to be a remarkable change from most video games. I hope this aspect will play a part in the story and the game.

The only thing i didn't like was the constant chatter during gameplay. I presume/hope this was staged for the demo. This is one thing that could become irritating very quickly if overused.

I'm looking forward to seeing more about this game.

KOHIPEET

horizon__zero_dawn_smartphone_wallpaper_by_de_monvarela-d8xiqwa.jpg

I think it's a fanart, really beautiful

Unbelievable! Most wanted game for me. Wait's gonna be painful.

Imru’ al-Qays;168899882 said:
That was a contextual stealth kill, not actual melee combat.

Oh..yea, my mistake. Though there shouldn't be any reason for melee not to be in the game. Cause if it doesn't...that'd be really dissapointing for an arpg.

I really hope it gets some Best of E3 awards, it really deserves it. It's a shame that neither this nor Uncharted 4 stand a chance against Fallout 4 and its shock Fall 2015 release date. Bethesda going for a sweep.

Still hoping though,

Best wishes.

aly

I really hope it gets some Best of E3 awards, it really deserves it. It's a shame that neither this nor Uncharted 4 stand a chance against Fallout 4 and its shock Fall 2015 release date. Bethesda going for a sweep.

Still hoping though,

Best wishes.

Does anyone know when these happen? Just wondering. Also hope they show some interesting stuff tomorrow.

Just read a preview of a German site which saw the extended presentation. There where absolutely overwhelmed by the sheer number of possibilities to deal with the dinobots, e.g. by using tripping hazards that were not shown on the floor demo. At the same time, he emphasized that a Rambo-like approach (running around and shooting everything with arrows) would be doomed to fail, you really have to advance carefully. The AI wasnt fully implemented yet. In the final version, the dinobots will act as a herd, e.g. warn each other and attack together.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Imru’ al-Qays;168901087 said:
If this is the WRPG Monster Hunter/Dragon's Dogma we've been waiting for it's going to be real shame if that isn't an option, though. They keep calling it an action RPG so I can't believe it'll just be a shooter, but nothing I've seen indicates that melee is going to be a thing in Horizon.
I haven't seen any skill trees or levelling up or attributes in the footage either. So I'll hastily conclude that there's probably none of those things.

Or maybe I shouldn't assume anything yet since it's just a short clip...? :p

It's wonderful what happens when a developer isn't forced to do nothing but FPS games.
You will not be missed, Killzone.

I doubt they were forced it is a successful franchise but just like with Uncharted Matthijs and others wanted to do something new. While employees that just joined the studio wanted to work on Killzone, that is what Hermen Hulst said.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I doubt they were forced it is a successful franchise but just like with Uncharted Matthijs and others wanted to do something new. While employees that joined the studio joined to work on Killzone that is what Hermen Hulst said.
That happens with every studio. You had people quit Naughty Dog when they switched to Uncharted, because they explicitly joined to work on Jak & Daxter.

There are some that are into the franchise which is why they join and there are some that love the culture but are burned out on the franchise and want something new.
Seemingly an important part of managing a studio successfully in the creative field.

dmr87

Watching an interview with Shu, made a thread for it.

Don't know if this was known before but he said that GG has been working on this game since Killzone 3 was completed, team was split into Shadow Fall and Horizon. After Shadow Fall was done more people moved over to Horizon. So over 4 years, it can't be that far out right?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Don't know if this was known before but he said that GG has been working on this game since Killzone 3 was completed, team was split into Shadow Fall and Horizon. After Shadow Fall was done more people moved over to Horizon. So over 4 years, it can't be that far out right?
I remember them announcing they were working on a new IP shortly after KZ3. That was part of the reason I was so surprised when SF showed up since I didn't realize they would be continuing with it.

I-hate-u

And it seems like the minute to minute gameplay was the peak priority for this game, seeing as how they iterated on it for the past year.

We are in for something special y'all.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't think you ever played KZ2. The thing about Killzone is that it didn't have mass appeal like the Uncharted series has, it only clicked with a certain percentage of FPS enthusiasts. But no one denies the technical craftsmanship GG demonstrated with these titles. Horizon seems to have the same mass appeal as Uncharted has, and all the signs thus far point towards it having a solid foundation regarding gameplay and lore. Only time can tell how successful Horizon will be, but from presentation hype alone it's a fair assessment to conclude that ND has competition. Horizon appears to generate similar levels of hype as games as TLOU and TLG did during their first reveals (both being unique and unproven IPs).

Huh?! Uncharted was an unproven IP that ended up having great legs on a struggling system. Killzone was a multimillion seller from the first game on that Always garnered a lot of hype given is was Sony's "halo killer". Kz 1 didn't deliver and the series took a break. Kz2 and 3 both sold really well, however the gunplay wasn't for everyone and the mp never quite took.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I haven't seen any skill trees or levelling up or attributes in the footage either. So I'll hastily conclude that there's probably none of those things.

Summary of info from gametrailers:

Summary from the Gametrailers talk:

- Saw a live demo played in front of them (no hands-on). Same demo as the trailer.
- They set up a trip wire, went around it and attacked one of the deer things from the opposite side making some run into it.
- A few stayed around to fight her while the rest ran away.
- They talked a lot about there being an economy that you can trade resources in or use yourself.
- Multiple arrow types. Explosive arrows are really rare.
- Thunderjaw was at half health from fighting a different tribe.
- It has 15 different types of attacks.
- If you're far away from it, it'll stay back and attack with ranged attacks.
- They used 4 or 5 electric arrows to prevent Thunderjaw from moving.
- Showed concept art of a few different things. One of them was a town (that I think Huber said reminded him of FFXII towns) that had robotic dogs that seem to be domesticated like normal ones.
- Showed concept art of a cyborg gryphon.
- You can upgrade Aloy's skills. Multiple layers of equipment you can wear.
- 30 FPS

Edit: Added a few things I missed.

Huh?! Uncharted was an unproven IP that ended up having great legs on a struggling system. Killzone was a multimillion seller from the first game on that Always garnered a lot of hype given is was Sony's "halo killer". Kz 1 didn't deliver and the series took a break. Kz2 and 3 both sold really well, however the gunplay wasn't for everyone and the mp never quite took.

KZ2's MP was awesome, easily one of the best multiplayer FPS games of last gen. I didn't mention Uncharted as an unproven IP because it isn't anymore. Simply trying to point out that the current hype for Horizon is very similar to the hype TLOU and TLG generated during their initial reveals. So even while Killzone generated hype, I'm pretty confident that was based on it's technical prowess alone, unless you were a FPS fan too. Horizon however seems to spark the interest of a far larger group of gamers and not simply based on it's impressive technical merits. Just from this thread alone, it's quite clear that unless you are are KZ(2) fan, most gamers didn't have high hopes for a GG game, even though most know they are amongst the best when it comes to technical skills.

The God

Impressions from someone on Reddit, includes vague info about the animals and creatures in the game.

Basically, we saw a demo where Eloy (that's the girl in the game) had to gather a resource in a canister inside the machines. The creators explained that users would have to switch between weapons and ammo to find the right strategy for each creature, very similar to how The Witcher's two swords work, with oils and stuff. Combat is mostly long range because there's no way a human could take on huge robot creatures with knives, but several monsters can be taken down with melee takedowns. It's a single player game, too, maybe there will be a multiplayer element (shared economies?), but it is at it's core a single-player experience

>There are no classes, all players start the same and develop through skilltrees using XP.

>The only organic creatures that exist are small ones: fish, geese, rabbits, and they also can be harvested for resources. The reason? Organic, big creatures are extinct. The rest are all machines. They talked about "several ways in which you can interact with the creatures", but robot domestication is not something they're considering.

>Finally (this might be spoiler-ish territory, but vague enough: read at your own risk) - the creators wanted creatures that looked "real", like new life forms, but that had been there in the planet all along. When it comes to the world inhabitants, there is nothing weird about the way these creatures look because that's just the world they live in. Yet, Eloy WILL discover what these creatures are, and why they look the way they do in the game.

>The game seemed to have a Monster Hunter like upgrade system for armor and weapons, done in real time Last of Us style, skill trees (somewhat Diablo-ish?) with Witcher 3 like battles except ranged. That's a lot of really cool influences in just one title.

>Also, what we saw on E3 was an alpha version, but they swore that it was a PS4 game, running on actual PS4 hardware - the trailer is very much real gameplay. And, for those who were worried, in the demo we saw, Eloy talked WAY less than in the PlayStation conference - she's no Nathan Drake.

>Just because this is reddit and I don't need to keep a semblance of profesionalism like when I write, I'll tell you that I'm pretty hyped, honestly. It looked really, really good. I just hope they manage to keep it varied, with different types of creatures, bosses, whatever because otherwise we might end up with a really long endgame hunting palette swaps of the same creatures, Monster Hunter/Toukiden style.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3aasar/exbethesda_and_cd_projekt_red_developers_helped/csb2jp6

Goddamn this is lovely. I really love Aloy. It's exhilarating to see a character that you just click with and want to learn more about them right off the bat. I can't think of a game I've been this excited for in a long, long time, or a protagonist that I've been so interested in since... ever. There're plenty of supporting characters and side-plot people that I love in other games, but this is the first time the main character stands out to me. The whole thing feels like a very big, important step in the right direction with gaming.

...Is that a school bus under that tree??

Seems like there's a building consensus that this is a third-person shooter.

cjp

edit: it's official

Goddamn this is lovely. I really love Aloy. It's exhilarating to see a character that you just click with and want to learn more about them right off the bat. I can't think of a game I've been this excited for in a long, long time, or a protagonist that I've been so interested in since... ever. There're plenty of supporting characters and side-plot people that I love in other games, but this is the first time the main character stands out to me. The whole thing feels like a very big, important step in the right direction with gaming.

...Is that a school bus under that tree??

Hello new phone wallpaper!

Found a higher res version of you're interested:

http://de-monvarela.deviantart.com/art/Horizon-Zero-Dawn-smartphone-wallpaper-540031402

I said this before in the other thread, but I really hope there are none of those things.

I like the level up system of MonHun. You get better by crafting better weapons and armor and by actually getting better at the game, but your character doesn't change.

I could do with some minor changes in the character, like maybe a little more health, but the main gains should come from equipment. Since they've mentioned crafting is very important I'm hoping it's gonna go my way.

Top Bottom