• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1 '09 Results

I think Nintendo is being too stubborn about doing a price drop. The entire history of consoles has been for them to drop in price periodically. If they think that people aren't expecting one, they're wrong. Many people will not pay $250 for a game console, no matter what "added value" it has. I think sales would pick up dramatically with a simple $50 drop and some advertising to spread the word.

And they're not in the situation of having a price drop put them (further) in the red like the competition. They can afford it, and I think it would probably increase their profits significantly, although not their profit margin, obviously.

oatmeal said:
FIFTY MILLION?!!?

Jesus...

Insanity.

How much did the Gamecube/N64 sell in their lifetimes?

The N64 did 32.93 million, the Gamecube did 21.66 million. So the Wii has just passed their combined total. It's also passed the SNES, which sold 49.22 million. The NES is up next at 61.91 million.

laserbeam

Banned
Poor Nintendo. Wii sales down 57% and they only managed to roughly double Sonys Game division profit margin for the Quarter.

Epic Fucking Fail Nintendo

Busaiku

AniHawk said:
I think NSMB has the best chance out of any game this year to sell systems. And I mean any game for any system. A far greater number of people buy 2D Marios over 3D Marios. Coop local multiplayer will sweeten the deal.
I think it's too early to call that.
The only relevant example of a 2D Mario moving great numbers was on the DS.
It's yet to be proven whether it can do the same for Wii, when other titles, such as Animal Crossing, have done nothing close to the DS numbers.

Though the case of Mario Kart certainly helps validate its potential, given that it's outdone its DS counterpart, but I still think it's too early to call.

gerg

Leondexter said:
I think Nintendo is being too stubborn about doing a price drop. The entire history of consoles has been for them to drop in price periodically. If they think that people aren't expecting one, they're wrong. Many people will not pay $250 for a game console, no matter what "added value" it has. I think sales would pick up dramatically with a simple $50 drop and some advertising to spread the word.

It depends. Eventually Nintendo will have to cut the Wii's price, but they seem to prefer to wait three months in order to sell a Wii with compelling software for $300 than to sell the console alone for $200 to the same consumer now.

Busaiku said:
I think it's too early to call that.
The only relevant example of a 2D Mario moving great numbers was on the DS.

People put a lot of faith in NSMB Wii because it highlights one of the core values that has made the Wii so successful - gaming as a social experience - in a very accessible package attached to an incredibly popular IP.

It's yet to be proven whether it can do the same for Wii, when other titles, such as Animal Crossing, have done nothing close to the DS numbers.

I think the lack of success of Animal Crossing Wii compared to its DS' predecessor is more to do with the demands (or lack thereof) of casual consumers. charlequin recently hypothesised that the expanded audience prefer qualitative difference over quantitative difference - while the 360/PS3 seem quite happy with "more!", the Wii's audience seem to prefer difference.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
laserbeam said:
Poor Nintendo. Wii sales down 57% and they only managed to roughly double Sonys Game division profit margin for the Quarter.

Epic Fucking Fail Nintendo

only double for something that's sold 10 times what sony sold

its all relative, my friend

oatmeal

Banned
Leondexter said:
The N64 did 32.93 million, the Gamecube did 21.66 million. So the Wii has just passed their combined total. It's also passed the SNES, which sold 49.22 million. The NES is up next at 61.91 million.

Thanks for the numbers!

Didn't the PSX sell over 100?

HUELEN10

AniHawk said:
Yeah, that's what I meant. Like the NES SP, right down to the same texture as the NES pad.
I am all for this idea, but why NES-style? I mean, it is New SMB Wii, but it is nothing like the NES games at all, not even in look. Wouldn't Mario themed make more sense?
Regardless, a bundled pack of any sort with that game would be sheer win.

Also, black Wii worldwide this year makes sense. I just ask one thing of Nintendo...

ANNOUNCE A USA RELEASE DATE TO THE CLASSIC CONTROLLER PRO!

I am THIS tempted to importing one. Looks like it's made of win, the perfect controller for Brawl, SNES, Sonic Unleashed, and N64 games! I seriously doubt there could ever be a better controller for Brawl than the CC Pro!

gerg said:
It depends. Eventually Nintendo will have to cut the Wii's price, but they seem to prefer to wait three months in order to sell a Wii with compelling software for $300 than to sell the console alone for $200 to the same consumer now.

I don't think Nintendo agrees that they "have to" cut the price. They've made some distinct statements to the opposite. And I didn't mean they should cut the Wii's price now. I think the best time to do it would be around Black Friday. They could have the year's "must have" gift again this year at $199 with Wii Sports Resort in the box.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Busaiku said:
I still think it's too early to call.
Mario 2D back on a console is like a return of Toy Story in theaters= a sure mega hit.

Nintendo could add mini games to go along with the platformer part - just like in the DS version - and make it even BIGGER.

zero_suit

Leondexter said:
I don't think Nintendo agrees that they "have to" cut the price. They've made some distinct statements to the opposite. And I didn't mean they should cut the Wii's price now. I think the best time to do it would be around Black Friday. They could have the year's "must have" gift again this year at $199 with Wii Sports Resort in the box.

That seems like the best idea. Besides, is there any realistic way for Nintendo to meet their fiscal goals without a price cut? I'm not sure they could do it even with bundles and colors.

HUELEN10

marc^o^ said:
Mario 2D back on a console is like a return of Toy Story in theaters= a sure mega hit.

Nintendo could add mini games to go along with the platformer part - just like in the DS version - and make it even BIGGER.
Weren't the DS game's minigames just mostly taken from SM64DS though?

oatmeal said:
Thanks for the numbers!

Didn't the PSX sell over 100?

Yes, just over. Sony has it at 102.49 million. The Playstation 2 is over 130 million and still going. The only other system to break 100m was the Game Boy, which sold 118.69m.

And now the DS, of course.

Busaiku

gerg said:
People put a lot of faith in NSMB Wii because it highlights one of the core values that has made the Wii so successful - gaming as a social experience - in a very accessible package attached to an incredibly popular IP.
I think it will definitely be successful, but I have my doubts as to whether or not it can match Mario Kart.

Mario Kart offered something similar, but had a bit more going for it.
It was able to not only rope in those who game with their local friends (which I believe is still the biggest audience on Wii), but it also offered a respectable online experience, for the rest of the market.
New Super Mario Bros Wii's potential is drastically cut due to that aspect, which many have lamented since its announcment.
Mario Kart also offered the wheel. Although it doesn't serve any real functions, I think the inclusion of an accessory definitely served to increase its sales.

I do think NSMB will do greater numbers than Galaxy, and more of a relative success than Animal Crossing Wii was, but I don't think it will move systems as much as Mario Kart had.

marc^o^ said:
We can't really say that for sure.
The last 2D Mario title on a console was on the SNES, when everything was 2D.

gerg

Leondexter said:

When I say that Nintendo "will have to" cut the Wii's price, the emphasis is on the "will" - at some indeterminate point in the future. Even by the logic I've stated, eventually you'll reach a point where all people who could want the console for its current software at a certain price point will have bought a Wii already. And, if no new software will make them purchase a Wii, then it seems that a price cut is the only other option.

But Lord knows Nintendo will keep trying to avoid one. The Vitality Sensor is certainly testament to as much.

Busaiku said:
I think it will definitely be successful, but I have my doubts as to whether or not it can match Mario Kart.

Mario Kart offered something similar, but had a bit more going for it.
It was able to not only rope in those who game with their local friends (which I believe is still the biggest audience on Wii), but it also offered a respectable online experience, for the rest of the market.

I think the "rest of the market" we're talking about doesn't exist on large numbers on the Wii (and never would have). For the majority of Wii consumers and potential-Wii consumers, local multiplayer (within the social experience of gaming) is a bigger priority.

New Super Mario Bros Wii's potential is drastically cut due to that aspect, which many have lamented since its announcment.

Where? Or is Nintendo really concerned about what GAF thinks of it?

Mario Kart also offered the wheel. Although it doesn't serve any real functions, I think the inclusion of an accessory definitely served to increase its sales.

Perhaps. Although Excitebots bombed (please correct me if I'm wrong, sales-GAF) despite the inclusion of the Wii Wheel. Mario Kart Wii's success, especially in relation to that of MK DS, is probably the result of a lot of different factors converging together. However, this is probably true of most, if not all, of the Wii's greatest sellers.

I do think NSMB will do greater numbers than Galaxy, and more of a relative success than Animal Crossing Wii was, but I don't think it will move systems as much as Mario Kart had.

Do you think that Mario Kart Wii moved a lot of systems?

upandaway

Leondexter said:
As much as such a thing will create a nice cute "bang", how likely is Nintendo to do such a thing?

It might be more successful for them to do a price cut far from other hot periods. For example: the DSi's first month sales could have been maybe x1.5 higher if it was released just before Christmas, but as it stands, the DSi will sell x1 twice during launch and during Christmas, plus the time in between, so it ends up being more profitable.

HUELEN10

gerg said:
But Lord knows Nintendo will keep trying to avoid one. The Vitality Sensor is certainly testament to as much.
Wii for 250 USD with Wii Sports, vitality sensor and Tetris 64 remake for it?

Count me in!

HUELEN10

LINK.AGE76 said:
I think NSMB Wii will boost NSMB DS. I see a big bump happening for NSMB DS from the Wii version.
Did Mario Kart DS get a bump when Mario Kart Wii came out? No, it's really a serious question I have!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Busaiku said:
We can't really say that for sure.
The last 2D Mario title on a console was on the SNES, when everything was 2D.
Mario 2D is an icon, like Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, etc. People like it, they just like it. Reactions from E3 were great. The Mega Success of this one is written in capital letters.

HUELEN10 said:
Did Mario Kart DS get a bump when Mario Kart Wii came out? No, it's really a serious question I have!

I'm not sure, but MKDS kept selling well. MKDS was in the top 20 NPD for June as well as May I believe. In Japan its still in the top 30 to date.

I don't know if NSMB Wii will be a significant bump, but I think it will have a positive impact for NSMB DS.

Busaiku

gerg said:
I think the "rest of the market" we're talking about doesn't exist on large numbers on the Wii (and never would have). For the majority of Wii consumers and potential-Wii consumers, local multiplayer (within the social experience of gaming) is a bigger priority.
As I noted, the local multiplayer audience is definitely the biggest potential market, but certainly you cannot deny that an online gaming community presence would help it.

Where? Or is Nintendo really concerned about what GAF thinks of it?
I think this is the audience that Nintendo should now be interested in drawing in, and they've shown it too, at least in Japan with Monster Hunter.

Perhaps. Although Excitebots bombed (please correct me if I'm wrong, sales-GAF) despite the inclusion of the Wii Wheel. Mario Kart Wii's success, especially in relation to that of MK DS, is probably the result of a lot of different factors converging together. However, this is probably true of most, if not all, of the Wii's greatest sellers.
I believe the Wii bundle raised the price on Excitebots, but even then, it was only as expensive as Mario Kart was.
I don't think the wheel helped that much, but something along those lines certainly wouldn't hurt NSMB.

Do you think that Mario Kart Wii moved a lot of systems?
I do believe that it was, but it really is hard to say.
Wii was still supply constrained then, and then Wii Fit came the month after, so it can be argued which was actually moving the systems from there.

marc^o^ said:
Mario 2D is an icon, like Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, etc. People like it, they just like it. Reactions from E3 were great. The Mega Success of this one is written in capital letters.
Again, I'm just saying that just because it saw success on a handheld, it does not translate to the consoles.
The Wii is not the DS. There are many similarities, but some types of games succeed on each platform, while others don't.
But once again, I do believe NSMB will be bigger than Galaxy. But that certainly was no slouch either, moving over 8 million for Nintendo.

EDIT: Also, even though NSMB will probably move a good deal of software, I don't think it will be a big hardware driver at this point.
I think the crowd that will pick it up has already been catered to with Galaxy and Mario Kart.

gerg

Busaiku said:
As I noted, the local multiplayer audience is definitely the biggest potential market, but certainly you cannot deny that an online gaming community presence would help it.

I agree that adding online would help Nintendo attract a specific audience, but one that has already bought into the 360/PS3 and rooted itself deeply in there. The bottom line is that it's too late - Nintendo should consolidate their losses and look at what they can do better next time.

I think this is the audience that Nintendo should now be interested in drawing in,

I think that trying to convince the deeply settled (and satisfied) 360/PS3 audience into buying the Wii as a secondary console would be a monumental waste of money.

and they've shown it too, at least in Japan with Monster Hunter.

I admit that the situation's different in Japan, but I have a hard time believing that NSMB Wii is exactly the title the Monster Hunter audience is looking for.

I believe the Wii bundle raised the price on Excitebots, but even then, it was only as expensive as Mario Kart was.
I don't think the wheel helped that much, but something along those lines certainly wouldn't hurt NSMB.

I think that NSMB is accessible enough already.

Wii was still supply constrained then, and then Wii Fit came the month after, so it can be argued which was actually moving the systems from there.

I was just curious. I don't think I've ever given the matter much thought, actually.

The Wii is not the DS. There are many similarities, but some types of games succeed on each platform, while others don't.

I think people want to point out that, quite simply, the reasons as for why this is extend beyond the fact that the DS is a handheld and the Wii is a console.

Vinci

Danish
Busaiku said:

Wii Fit was moving systems, at the time of its release and since. There's no doubt about it at this point.

Again, I'm just saying that just because it saw success on a handheld, it does not translate to the consoles.
But once again, I do believe NSMB will be bigger than Galaxy. But that certainly was no slouch either, moving over 8 million for Nintendo.

NSMB Wii is going to be huge because it's immediately accessible and familiar, much like the Wiimote itself is, to people. The title literally feeds off every single component that has made the Wii the best-selling system this generation. Seriously, I don't see how anyone could doubt it's going to be huge. Online or no, it's going to sell - and to many, many people. The only people who won't buy it due to its lack of online are the same people who won't buy the Wii regardless.

EDIT: Also, even though NSMB will probably move a good deal of software, I don't think it will be a big hardware driver at this point.
I think the crowd that will pick it up has already been catered to with Galaxy and Mario Kart.

3D Mario has never been as popular as 2D Mario. It's not even a comparison.

Kunan

davepoobond said:
only double for something that's sold 10 times what sony sold

its all relative, my friend
Isn't the Wii at around 50 and the PS3 around 20 million? Where does this 10x come from?

Neo C.

Busaiku said:

I feel the same, I seriously doubt its potential to sell million of hardware because most people who want the game are already on board. It surely will be a hit, but the term "mega seller" doesn't fit, methinks.

laserbeam

Banned
Nintendo Q1 09: Net profit 42,316,000,000 Yen
Sony gamedivision Q1 09: Net Profit -39,700,000,000 Yen
Sony as a whole Q1 09 Net profit -12,600,000,000 Yen

Lyude77

I think NSMB Wii will do well not only because NSMB DS did, but also because all 2D Marios are consistently staying in the top ten of VC each week. It's been a while since they were released, but SMB3 usually beats every other game, which is quite a feat considering all of Nintendo's previous successes. This is on top of the fact that nearly everyone has owned some form of SMB3 before, and I'd imagine that a decent amount of people still own it (and are less likely to buy it, like me). A truly new 2D Mario should sell extremely well, much better than Galaxy (which would be like SM64 in this analogy).

Also, MK Wii and NSMB Wii are two entirely different genres and experiences. I doubt anyone wanting a 2d platformer would be satisfied by a racer, even if Mario is on the cover of both.

Thing of note: GBA numbers heave ceased.

Still more Wiis availalaayou've heard this before.

Still more than any handheld, too, though if the lower rate holds it might not be for long.
Wii_WW

2009-06-30

2009-06-30

2009-06-30

2009-06-30

2009-06-30

2009-06-30

2009-06-30

Europe/Other becomes the first territory where DS passes the combined GB+GBC hardware total.
2009-06-30

EDIT: To spite AniHawk, the number of graphs about Nintendo portable in Japan has been significantly diminished.

Ranger X

What if it was the "beginning crazyness" that did last abnormaly long for the Wii and it's now stabilising?
This drop might not be alarming but something normal. If they continue to drop this fast until the end of the year I would worry but not before that.

Sadist

laserbeam said:
Nintendo Q1 09: Net profit 42,316,000,000 Yen
Sony gamedivision Q1 09: Net Profit -39,700,000,000 Yen
Sony as a whole Q1 09 Net profit -12,600,000,000
That's just insane :lol

laserbeam

Banned
Ranger X said:
What if it was the "beginning crazyness" that did last abnormaly long for the Wii and it's now stabilising?
This drop might not be alarming but something normal. If they continue to drop this fast until the end of the year I would worry but not before that.

I agree the last 2 months saw the Wii Basically stable in North America at roughly 72,000 Units a week. If the trend reverses and sales resume decline then they can do whatever they need to

Busaiku

Vinci said:
Wii Fit was moving systems, at the time of its release and since. There's no doubt about it at this point.
Both are still at the top of the charts though.
I don't doubt that Wii Fit has moved systems, but Mario Kart Wii could have had an equal part in it.
There's no way to really tell, since both were released when the Wii was experiencing shortages, and have both consistently been selling.

NSMB Wii is going to be huge because it's immediately accessible and familiar, much like the Wiimote itself is, to people. The title literally feeds off every single component that has made the Wii the best-selling system this generation. Seriously, I don't see how anyone could doubt it's going to be huge. Online or no, it's going to sell - and to many, many people. The only people who won't buy it due to its lack of online are the same people who won't buy the Wii regardless.
I don't doubt that it's going to sell a lot, more than Galaxy, which also sold quite a lot.
The thing is though, I don't think it's going to be selling to a new audience like Wii Fit and Mario Kart have.

Lyude77 said:
Also, MK Wii and NSMB Wii are two entirely different genres and experiences. I doubt anyone wanting a 2d platformer would be satisfied by a racer, even if Mario is on the cover of both.
Yes they're different genres, but not entirely different experiences.
They're meant to be multiplayer titles with lots of replay value and the ability to easily pick up, for just about anyone.
Mario fans would already be on Wii due to Galaxy, and the people that were unsure about these types of games before would have been drawn in due to Wii Fit or Mario Kart.

3D Mario has never been as popular as 2D Mario. It's not even a comparison.
And once again, I'm saying there's no fair comparison at this point.
2D Mario was huge when all games were 2D, when Mario was at the height of his popularity.
The only example since then was on the DS, as that's the only real entry to the 2D line since Super Mario Land on the original GB.

The Wii also has numerous differences from previous Nintendo home consoles as well, when regarding the sales of various titles.
For instance, in every other Nintendo system, a Mario platformer had outdone a Mario Kart entry, regardless of 2D or 3D. And of course the purchasing behavior of Wii owners is just a new one entirely, given its best sellers compared to other systems' best sellers.

I'm not saying it's impossible for New Super Mario Bros Wii to be this insane mega hit that could move systems and outsell most other software on the system, I just believe it's too early to call whether or not it can attain that status, since the climate is so different this time around.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So, when do we think the Wii is going to surpass the NES to become Nintendo's most popular console ever?

NeonZ

The Wii also has numerous differences from previous Nintendo home consoles as well, when regarding the sales of various titles.
For instance, in every other Nintendo system, a Mario platformer had outdone a Mario Kart entry, regardless of 2D or 3D. And of course the purchasing behavior of Wii owners is just a new one entirely, given its best sellers compared to other systems' best sellers.

That's wrong for both N64 and GC. (at least, in Japan. I don't know about worldwide numbers).

Nintendo 64
1. Mario Kart 64: 2,060,000
2. Super Mario 64: 1,800,00

GameCube
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - 768,809
Super Mario Sunshine - 677,440

Busaiku

NeonZ said:
That's wrong for both N64 and GC. (at least, in Japan. I don't know about worldwide numbers).
I was actually just basing it off of what I saw on Wiki.
Super Mario 64's figure came from Guinness, but I guess the rest are suspect (besides the Japanese numbers, which IGN got from Nintendo, and on Garaph).

Top Bottom