• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1 FY 23/24 Earnings Report: Hardware 3.91M LTD 129.53M, Zelda TotK 18.51M

Banjo64

cumsessed
Having a significant number of 20+M sellers is competing pretty well, especially when those titles also have to compete with third party
The Switch has plenty of third party support, but even if your point was correct, it only reinforces the point that Nintendo’s first party is on another level.

How many 20m plus sellers do Sony have? I genuinely don’t know but I’m assuming 4-6 since the PS4 era?

The Switch’s top 2 games: Mario Kart and Animal Crossing have sold 100m copies between them.

Honestly, it’s no contenst.

It’s kinda like saying Nintendo can’t compete with Take2 just because GTA sells 100M and Nintendo has nothing close, kind of an irrelevant comment lacking context
Context is important but this comment ignores context. GTA has sold 100m copies since the PS3/360 generation, on 5 or 6 platforms, and has cost £8 on sale regularly for about 5 years now.

Context is important but this comment ignores context. GTA has sold 100m copies since the PS3/360 generation, on 5 or 6 platforms, and has cost £8 on sale regularly for about 5 years now.

If you want to be pedantic, it’s not that different from the recycled and rehashed evergreen mega sellers on switch

One is just keeping the same title number as the game expands, while the other is getting a new number

One generates most sales on MTX despite being discounted, GTA pulls in insane yearly revenue spend

Last edited:
The Switch has plenty of third party support, but even if your point was correct, it only reinforces the point that Nintendo’s first party is on another level.

How many 20m plus sellers do Sony have? I genuinely don’t know but I’m assuming 4-6 since the PS4 era?

The Switch’s top 2 games: Mario Kart and Animal Crossing have sold 100m copies between them.

For me Switch has the third party support that matters

Japanese Third Parties

I play a ton of JRPGs and other genres that the Japanese excel at on the Switch

As for Western Third Parties, most of their games don't interest me other than when they release RPGs, and I have a still decent gaming computer that can still run the more graphically intense games (I do have to upgrade my PC, it is time lol). BTW bought Baldur's Gate 3 off of a Steam today, will be playing that once it's fully downloaded 😉

Also I play a ton of Indies too

What's most important to me is that there's no censorship when it comes to Japanese Third Parties

Nintendo doesn't force Third Parties to Censor thier games.

Off topic but I love the freedom that the PC gives me in regards to censorship. A game is censored on Steam? Find a decensor patch and apply it. Easy peasy

Last edited:

Oof85

If you want to be pedantic, it’s not that different from the recycled and rehashed evergreen mega sellers on switch

One is just keeping the same title number as the game expands, while the other is getting a new number

One generates most sales on MTX despite being discounted, GTA pulls in insane yearly revenue spend
Sour grapes, the post.

zeldaring

Banned

There's no doubt about Nintendo first party sales are on another level. No one selling games like them right now. They are the only publisher making games made for everyone that are huge hits which developers are struggling with.

blacktout

So does this mean Nintendo was "won" the previous generation?

The best selling games and console, by a far amount

I guess there's some debate about what generation the Switch belongs in, but I like this interpretation, because it means that somehow Nintendo managed to win and lose the 8th generation, and by a huge margin in both cases. That's pretty wild.

Last edited:
How did DS fare following the 3DS launch? (I know this is bearing in mind the slow start of the latter.)
Not Great, The 3DS released in Q4 10/11 and DS sales dropped to 1.83 million that quarter and only sold another 7.6 million lifetime after that. To be fair the DS could have had much better legs but Nintendo limited it's production to try and "force" people to get a 3DS.

O9hqINU.png

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Absolutely deserved. ToTK is a masterpiece, and frankly the Switch has delivered far more than the competitors over the last few years. The hardware has been pushed as far as it can, and it feels like Nintendo still give a damn about gameplay and enjoyment. Sony and MS are both more concerned with shitting out content for as many platforms as possible to scrape in as much money as possible, than they are making expertly crafted games that are a joy to play.

Last edited:
What makes this even more impressive is that Nintendo doesn't really drop the price of their hardware or software. MK8 came out almost a decade ago and is still $60, and has sold 64 million copies. That's $4 billion in revenue from a fucking kart racing game, not even counting DLC.

zeldaring

Banned
Absolutely deserved. ToTK is a masterpiece, and frankly the Switch has delivered far more than the competitors over the last few years. The hardware has been pushed as far as it can, and it feels like Nintendo still give a damn about gameplay and enjoyment. Sony and MS are both more concerned with shitting out content for as many platforms as possible to scrape in as much money as possible, than they are making expertly crafted games that are a joy to play.
Aside from zelda most are there games require the skill level of 5 year old to beat with no challenge if thats your idea of of expertly crafted then that's cool.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
What makes this even more impressive is that Nintendo doesn't really drop the price of their hardware or software. MK8 came out almost a decade ago and is still $60, and has sold 64 million copies. That's $4 billion in revenue from a fucking kart racing game, not even counting DLC.
While I get your point, and largely agree, that's not completely true. While Nintendo doesnt drop their prices, most retailers do.

At least in Europe, most Switch games are available for roughly €52-55 at launch at a lot of big retailers, and quite a bit cheaper after a while if you look around. I got the Wii U version for €37 and the Switch version for €50. I don't think I've ever paid €60 for a Nintendo game, unless you count CE's.

zeldaring

Banned
You just described 90% of all games, including Sony's and Microsoft's offerings. Not sure what your point is.
Not really. most Sony games have difficulty options. GOW, GOT, LOUP2 and even Spiderman require skill on harder options. mean while in something like mario you have to get near the end to finally get a challenge that doesn't put me to sleep.

Last edited:
Aside from zelda most are there games require the skill level of 5 year old to beat with no challenge if thats your idea of of expertly crafted then that's cool.

Yeah I remember when my toddler beat Champion's Road with all characters and no powerups... it was right after she 100%'d BotW on Master Mode. She was so proud of herself and I was just lmao try playing a REAL game, chud

Chastten

Banned
Not really. most Sony games have difficulty options. GOW, GOT, LOUP2 and even Spiderman require skill on harder options. mean while in something like mario you have to get near the end to finally get a challenge that doesn't put me to sleep.
Gotcha! To each their own I guess, i literally always play on normal so I wouldn't know about that.

But I actually like the difficulty curve slowly ramping up. I can 'finish' most games in 1 or 2 nights, and then come back several more for the challenging stuff if I feel like it.

zeldaring

Banned
Yeah I remember when my toddler beat Champion's Road with all characters and no powerups... it was right after she 100%'d BotW on Master Mode. She was so proud of herself and I was just lmao try playing a REAL game, chud
Yea thanks for proving my point. I played 3d world and i only have to beat the game to finally get a challenge that requires skill, and master mode is DLC. LOL. Shot out to tropical freeze though my favorite Nintendo game since 2010.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
As if expertly crafted = challenging? By that logic I guess all those near impossible levels in Mario Maker are “expertly crafted” and better than those in actual mainline Mario games?

The first level in Super Mario Bros. is always used as example of fantastic level design. And challenge is not why.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
As if expertly crafted = challenging? By that logic I guess all those near impossible levels in Mario Maker are “expertly crafted” and better than those in actual mainline Mario games?

The first level in Super Mario Bros. is always used as example of fantastic level design. And challenge is not why.
It's always gonna be subjective but Mario maker is not a good example. Something like super meat boy or tropical freeze is expertly crafted something that requires little skill is not to me, it's just boring.

Sorry i don't remember the first level of Mario bros.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
It's always gonna be subjective but Mario maker is not a good example. Something like super meat boy or tropical freeze is expertly crafted something that requires little skill is not to me, it's just boring.
Yeah I guess that’s a different point of view. Challenge in itself is no craft imo, putting thought into the actual level design, mechanics, artwork, animation, controls, music etc. is.

And I’d argue both Super Meat Boy and Tropical Freeze are great because of the latter rather than the former.
Sorry i don't remember the first level of Mario bros.
I don’t think you have to. It’s level 1, which is obviously extremely easy, I.e. very low difficulty.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Yeah I guess that’s a different point of view. Challenge in itself is no craft imo, putting thought into the actual level design, artwork, animation, controls, music etc. is.

And I’d argue both Super Meat Boy and Tropical Freeze are great because of the latter rather than the former.

I don’t think you have to. It’s level 1, which is obviously extremely easy, I.e. very low difficulty.
It depends on what type of challenge. The game where you are constantly helping you improve your skill are differently a craft imo, they help you learn the mechanics and get gud vs just playing through the game which is what sony calls story mode.

Oberstein

For me Switch has the third party support that matters

It's crazy when you think back to the N64 and NGC era, when the lack of third-party publishers was a real problem for Nintendo. The Switch has managed to break the curse: quality third-party games on 2013 hardware. A miracle!

The Switch allows a certain cohabitation with Nintendo's first parties, which, as expected, sell like hotcakes, and at the same time, third parties still manage to earn enough to port their games to it.

And when you see the prowess of Witcher 3, it's clear that publishers can't afford to ignore a console base of over 100 million.

Well, I'm still waiting for the Kingdom Come Deliverance port I was promised, but apart from that, the game library is one of the richest and most varied on a Nintendo console.

Robb

Gold Member
The game where you are constantly helping you improve your skill are differently a craft imo, they help you learn the mechanics and get gud vs just playing through the game
But isn’t that exactly what the Mario games you complain about do? The final levels usually consist of very difficult sections that utilize pretty much all hazards and mechanics you’ve encountered/used throughout.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
EDIT: not really surprised Splatoon 3 is kinda flat. They haven't brought enough to make it fresh and the new additions just feel the same, they should really amp up the events.
To be fair it was only bundled with the Switch Oled.

zeldaring

Banned
But isn’t that exactly what the Mario games you complain about do? The final levels usually consist of very difficult sections that utilize pretty much all hazards and mechanics you’ve encountered/used throughout.
Yes the final levels are challenging but thats too long to finally start experiencing some challenging levels. Like i have to go through 80%-90% of the game. thats not good for me. I like challenge from the start and more challenge. my favorite developer is fromsoftware BTW.

Robb

Gold Member
Yes the final levels are challenging but thats too long to finally start experiencing some challenging levels. Like i have to go through 80%-90% of the game. thats not good for me. I like challenge from the start and more challenge. my favorite developer is fromsoftware BTW.
Yeah, I get what you’re saying. I just think there are so many absolutely amazing levels in most Mario games that are extremely easy and expertly crafted.

Most levels introduce new mechanics, power-ups, mini bosses, enemies etc. so, while they’re easy, your skill still increases since you’re constantly learning new things and the game prepares you for the late game where everything returns at a much higher difficulty.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Yeah, I get what you’re saying. I just think there are so many absolutely amazing levels in most Mario games that are extremely easy and expertly crafted.

Most levels introduce new mechanics, power-ups, mini bosses, enemies etc. so, while they’re easy, your skill still increases since you’re constantly learning new things and the game prepares you for the late game where everything returns at a much higher difficulty.
I mean it mainly jump on enemies in 2d Mario once you perfect the hold run button and platformimg its like auto pilot for me. Although Mario 64 was truly a game for its time where you need to get gud and had so many cool moves it was like a game where you kept improving especially for its time.

I just played both galaxy for the first time and thought Mario galaxy one sucked while Mario galaxy 2 was very good cause it did actually have much better platforming, level design, challenge and power ups.

Last edited:
It's crazy when you think back to the N64 and NGC era, when the lack of third-party publishers was a real problem for Nintendo. The Switch has managed to break the curse: quality third-party games on 2013 hardware. A miracle!

The Switch allows a certain cohabitation with Nintendo's first parties, which, as expected, sell like hotcakes, and at the same time, third parties still manage to earn enough to port their games to it.

And when you see the prowess of Witcher 3, it's clear that publishers can't afford to ignore a console base of over 100 million.

Well, I'm still waiting for the Kingdom Come Deliverance port I was promised, but apart from that, the game library is one of the richest and most varied on a Nintendo console.

Well it has a ton of Japanese Third Party support which for me counts since they haven't had support for their main console from Japanese Third Parties since the SNES. The amount of games I'm getting from Japanese Third Parties on Switch makes me extremely happy

Whenever Switch 2 comes out I'm expecting support from Japanese Third Parties to increase even more. I think that Western Third Parties will have a huge presence for Switch 2 too.

As for Kingdom Come Delivrance I got that off of Steam. I haven't played it yet

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I mean it mainly jump on enemies in 2d Mario once you perfect the hold run button and platformimg its like auto pilot for me. Although Mario 64 was truly a game for its time where you need to get gud and had so many cool moves it was like a game where you kept improving especially for its time.

I just played both galaxy for the first time and thought Mario galaxy one sucked while Mario galaxy 2 was very good cause it did actually have much better platforming, level design, challenge and power ups.
I guess I just disagree. Rocky Road is probably one of my favorite levels from Super Mario Galaxy. Such fun level with an extremely simple concept that allows for some super fun platforming - despite being extremely easy.

zeldaring

Banned
I guess I just disagree. Rocky Road is probably one of my favorite levels from Super Mario Galaxy. Such fun level with an extremely simple concept that allows for some super fun platforming - despite being extremely easy.
rocky road actually was one of the best levels in mario galaxy and required some skill that can't be said for most of the game lol. in the end of the day it was 2 minut level and it's gonna forgettable compared to a level that would take me hours to master.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
rocky road actually was one of the best levels in mario galaxy and required some skill that can't be said for most of the game lol. in the end of the day it was 2 minut level and it's gonna forgettable compared to a level that would take me hours to master.
For sure, my point is mainly that it’s a great level that’s super easy.

zeldaring

Banned
For sure, my point is mainly that it’s a great level that’s super easy.
Thats one of the harder levels in mario galaxy and it's one that had good platforming, if most levels required that kinda skill and platforming from early on it would fix my issues. the only reason it's super easy cause it was like 2 minutes long lol.

if Mario galaxy had most levels like rocky road it would differently be at least a 8.5-9.0 for me instead of a 6.5. The level doesn't have stupid camera angles or stupid gravity gimmicks and just about platforming which is why it's so good.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Thats one of the harder levels in mario galaxy
Wut? You can pretty much just stroll through it without barely jumping if you want to. The only “difficult” part would maybe be the final section, but even that is easy. Especially since you have the spin move.

zeldaring

Banned
Wut? You can pretty much just stroll through it without barely jumping if you want to. The only “difficult” part would maybe be the final section, but even that is easy. Especially since you have the spin move.
I mean compared to what i played early game it's one of the more challenging levels in galaxy thats actually about platforming. yes the final areas are much harder but i'm talking early game that's actually about platforming and not BS things like sling shots, or bad camera angles or bad controls cause of the gravity gimmicks.

I think you need to replay mario galaxy again just to see how brain dead the gameplay is the first half of the game.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I mean compared to what i played early game it's one of the more challenging levels in galaxy thats actually about platforming. yes the final areas are much harder but i'm talking early game that's actually about platforming and not BS things like sling shots, or bad camera angles or bad controls cause of the gravity gimmicks.
I guess I don’t really know what we’re discussing anymore. The level can be more difficult relative to other early game levels and still be extremely easy.

I agree that the level requires some skill and that it’s a great level, but that has more to do with being good design and doing a lot with a little, not that it’s difficult.

I guess maybe we should leave it at that and agree to disagree.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I guess I don’t really know what we’re discussing anymore. The level can be more difficult to other early game levels and still be extremely easy.

I agree that the level requires some skill and that it’s a great level, but that has more to do with being good design and doing a lot with a little, not that it’s difficult.

I guess maybe we should leave it at that and agree to disagree.
the level that requires the players full attention or he is dead. This is good difficulty for early game, and has good platforming i would call this good level design for early game there are many levels in galaxy that have brain dead gameplay that requires no skill meaning 0 challenge thats bad level design for me, we are going off topic though GN.

Last edited:
Impressive results, and there's an onslaught of games 'till the end of the year. Almost as if content sells hardware.

EDIT: not really surprised Splatoon 3 is kinda flat. They haven't brought enough to make it fresh and the new additions just feel the same, they should really amp up the events.
Maybe since I missed Splatoon 2 I don’t feel like 3 is dry. I do agree. Ramp up the events.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's funny because I've been playing TLOU for first time and that's my opinion about that game. Seems like it's nothing exclusive to Nintendo which, BTW, has Xenoblade and there's no way you could say the same about it unless you never played one of those.

zeldaring

Banned
It's funny because I've been playing TLOU for first time and that's my opinion about that game. Seems like it's nothing exclusive to Nintendo which, BTW, has Xenoblade and there's no way you could say the same about it unless you never played one of those.
Last of us is very dated gameplay wise and gameplay is mid. Last of us part 2 is just another level gameplay and Remember you have difficulty options. As for xenoblade i have no interest in games with turn based combat.

Oberstein

Whenever Switch 2 comes out I'm expecting support from Japanese Third Parties to increase even more. I think that Western Third Parties will have a huge presence for Switch 2 too.
As long as they don't make the same mistakes they did with the Wii / Wii U transition, they can keep going. Western and Japanese third-party publishers are both important, but for healthy console sales, Western developers need to be there.
The Switch really does have an incredible games library, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for what's to come.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Sony and MS are both more concerned with shitting out content for as many platforms as possible to scrape in as much money as possible
..... but their games are still quite fun. Like Nintendo's.

Nintendo games are fun and all but let's not pretend that everything they make is leaps and bounds beyond what other games offer in gameplay. I know this sounds like a shocker but people can focus on nice looking graphics AND gameplay. at the same time.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Last of us is very dated gameplay wise and gameplay is mid. Last of us part 2 is just another level gameplay and Remember you have difficulty options. As for xenoblade i have no interest in games with turn based combat.
Turn based combat... Hmmm... 😂 ok.

Also outdated since 2013 already 😂 someone should teach them how to design evergreen titles but that's not something they can learn that way.

Can you not see why Nintendo games are so successful? Don't you have a single clue already?

BTW, designing a game with different organic difficulties without having to rely on a difficulty option requires way more skills and play testing than you think. The difficulty option is the cheap way.

small_law

Tears of the Kingdom is such a flex. The fact that it's a 17 GB install running on a years-old mobile chipset blows my mind.

There are plenty of fair criticisms to be had, but all that shit just melts away for me when I'm in the moment. Easily among my favorite games of all time.

zeldaring

Banned
Turn based combat... Hmmm... 😂 ok.

Also outdated since 2013 already 😂 someone should teach them how to design evergreen titles but that's not something they can learn that way.

Can you not see why Nintendo games are so successful? Don't you have a single clue already?

BTW, designing a game with different organic difficulties without having to rely on a difficulty option requires way more skills and play testing than you think. The difficulty option is the cheap way.
And Sony games aren't successful? they are good games but aside from zelda they don't do anything for me. Many games feel dated for me and too simple. I just played mario galaxy and it felt dated for me. Combat has improved vastly since the release of last of us so in that regard it's dated, in terms of story and atmosphere it's still the best in the business. I don't really care why something is so successful before BOTW zelda wasn't a huge seller but it was still a great franchise.

I'll take the difficulty option then a walk in the park till the final world or the last 10-15% of the game.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
And Sony games aren't successful? they are good games but aside from zelda they don't do anything for me. Many games feel dated for me and too simple. I just played mario galaxy and it felt dated for me. Combat has improved vastly since the release of last of us so in that regard it's dated, in terms of story and atmosphere it's still the best in the business. I don't really care why something is so successful before BOTW zelda wasn't a huge seller but it was still a great franchise.

I'll take the difficulty option then a walk in the park till the final world or the last 10-15% of the game.
They are, though this is about Nintendo games being appealing and why, not about Sony games lol

The sole reason I used TLOU as an example is because you mentioned it and I'm playing it, currently right after the giraffe scene.

Nintendo games are quite appealing to many people, it's ok if you don't like them, I don't feel attracted to most western stuff, they look boring and have bored me sometimes giving them a chance. I'm not gonna shit on Rockstar threads calling their games simple or inferior just because they don't require deep knowledge and hours of mastering it's complexity like Xenoblade or tales of Zestiria combat (since they focus more on simulations which is another type of complexity I don't care so much).

To each their own 🤷

Last edited:
Top Bottom