• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 20-26, 2009

JoshuaJSlone said:
I ended up being such a person

hah, awesome!

what about making it more restrictive and bounding both ends (i.e. between 100 and 200k first weeks)?

Oh, and sign me up for the iPhone app

Clever Pun said:
what about making it more restrictive and bounding both ends (i.e. between 100 and 200k first weeks)?
Doesn't take much change to the query, but let's see about the results...

Games available for 3-4 days their first week, which sold 100-200K that first week, and which have a known week two total: 198
Average first week for these games: 139,196
Average second week LTD for these games: 182,907
Average improvement from week one to week two: 31.4%

Games available for 1-2 days their first week, which sold 100-200K that first week, and which have a known week two total: 7
Average first week for these games: 153,264
Average second week LTD for these games: 212,600
Average improvement from week one to week two: 38.7%

Interesting to note that of those 7 games, 1 was a PS2 launch game, and 3 were Wii launch games. I'll give the next 100K lot a go, though there are endless possibilities:

Games available for 3-4 days their first week, which sold 200-300K that first week, and which have a known week two total: 56
Average first week for these games: 236,646
Average second week LTD for these games: 314,490
Average improvement from week one to week two: 32.9%

Games available for 1-2 days their first week, which sold 200-300K that first week, and which have a known week two total: 6
Average first week for these games: 256,520
Average second week LTD for these games: 367,713
Average improvement from week one to week two: 43.4%

It does seem like that upper bound is making a difference; the percentage changes are greater this way. However, that might be something that's more the case with these "smaller" launches. Without trying out a bunch of ranges it's hard to get the big picture.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wonder if Tri might run into the problem MH G had, at least initially- not enough controller bundles, too many stand alone units.

markatisu

Stopsign said:
400k day one would mean ~550k to 600k first week (two day first week). I don't think that would be considered very disappointing, especially considering it will have a better second week than most games because it has had less time on the market than most games going into their second week.

That would also put it near or over the top as the best 3rd party Wii game in history (I think Taiko has that now with 550-570k) after 48 hours :lol

I wonder if Tri might run into the problem MH G had, at least initially- not enough controller bundles, too many stand alone units.

Hopefully Capcom learned, they lost imho quite a few sales running out of the CC Bundle (since the CC is required to play MHG) early on

If only we had breakdowns, there were 3 SKU's right (CC Pro, Standalone, and Wii Hardware) and then the CC Pro were broken down into Black and White, not to mention all the special SKU's Capcom themselves sold (E-Capcom, and a few others)

cvxfreak

I think they've got ample stock of the controller bundles this time. But I think it's a good point brought up -- there hasn't seemed to be all that much interest in the standalone MH3.

Makes me wonder if Nintendo, if they don't want to drop the price of the Wii, should start making the CC Pro a standard inclusion with the system at some point in the future.

Busaiku

I don't think having the standalone Tri would hurt sales potential as much as it did G though.
Given that it is actually playable without it.

markatisu

Busaiku said:
I don't think having the standalone Tri would hurt sales potential as much as it did G though.

Given that it is actually playable without it.

But the draw is to the bundles, if there has just been a MH3 that used the CC that would be one thing.

Almost everyone I know wanted either the Wii Bundle or the CC Pro Bundle, even though I bought the MHG CC Bundle (and own 2 CC's already) I still want the MH3 Black CC Bundle.

Not sure how much that will hurt overall sales, you are right it is not like the MHG debacle where the CC was required and so nobody was buying the standalone.

schuelma said:
I'm very interested in VS. Maybe 200K 1st week/300K LTD? Similar to ToW2 I'm thinking.

SD Gundam...Hmm..maybe 200K first week for PS2 version, 40K Wii version? 350K LTD maybe.
charlequin said:
I think Tales will do well and Bahamut will do badly. :lol
Heh. A bit late but here's my full entry to the 8/6 bloodbath, Blood of Bahamut indeed.

Just 1st day / 1st week, no LTD because it seems pointless since I don't think we'll remember any of this whenever we get some LTDs on the titles :p
Code:
Title                                             1st Day     1st Week
[PS2] SD Gundam G Generation Wars                  140k         195k
[PSP] Tales of VS                                  110k         170k
[360] MagnaCarta II                                 60k          80k
[PS2] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes                    40k          60k
[NDS] Irodzuki Tingle no Koi no Balloon Trip        20k          50k
[PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2009                  20k          40k
[NDS] Blood of Bahamut                              20k          30k
[WII] SD Gundam G Generation Wars                   20k          30k
Felt bad about Bahamut so I put Gundam below even if they share predictions :lol

idlewild_

guess we really aren't getting MH3 sales numbers today, didn't we get even MHG Wii early? maybe the sales aren't noteworthy either way (not really high, and not la bomba)...

sorry, I haven't really paid much attention to that Gundam game, but why such a skew between the PS2 and Wii
other than lolwiican'tsell3rdpartygames
?

donny2112

idlewild_ said:
sorry, I haven't really paid much attention to that Gundam game, but why such a skew between the PS2 and Wii
other than lolwiican'tsell3rdpartygames
?

It's what you spoiler tagged. Personally, I'm hopeful that Monster Hunter 3 will bring in more PS2 traditional gamers that would make the split between PS2:Wii something a little less lopsided than 195:30. :p

Mato said:
Would it be too stupid to ask if there's been an EU release date for DQIX announced yet?

I don't think a U.S. date has been set yet, either.

schuelma

idlewild_ said:
guess we really aren't getting MH3 sales numbers today, didn't we get even MHG Wii early? maybe the sales aren't noteworthy either way (not really high, and not la bomba)...

Like I said earlier in the thread, because of the Saturday release we probably won't get 1st day numbers- we'll get the numbers for the week. We should get them before Wednesday since its (presumably) such a big release.

So I was browsing SCEJ extremely big release list and noticed that Gran Turismo Portable has a definite date, and its not the same as the PSP Go. Unless I got it wrong, it was supposed to be launching at the same date, wasn't it?
http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/list/list_pre.html

PSP Go launches October 1st along side Minna no Sukkiri (2980Y UMD, 2380Y DD), so really cheap.

Gran Turismo Portable comes a week after that, October 8th, at 5480Y on UMD and 4400Y for the digital download.

SCEJ ambitious release plans also has Bleach Soul Carnival 2 on PSP and a grand total of 4 titles for PS3, with only one dated, Uncharted 2 on October 15th at 5980Y (same price as the original).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So I was browsing SCEJ extremely big release list and noticed that Gran Turismo Portable has a definite date, and its not the same as the PSP Go. Unless I got it wrong, it was supposed to be launching at the same date, wasn't it?
http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/list/list_pre.html

PSP Go launches October 1st along side Minna no Sukkiri (2980Y UMD, 2380Y DD), so really cheap.

Gran Turismo Portable comes a week after that, October 8th, at 5480Y on UMD and 4400Y for the digital download.

SCEJ ambitious release plans also has Bleach Soul Carnival 2 on PSP and a grand total of 4 titles for PS3, with only one dated, Uncharted 2 on October 15th at 5980Y (same price as the original).
Yeah it's been set for a while now. Poor SMT: Strange Journey. :(

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jj984jj said:

So you think SMT Fans won`t buy SMT just because of GT Portable ? Erm no....

jj984jj said:
Oops, I thought it was news. Still good I think for SMT and GT to miss 10/1.

10/1 currently has PSP Go, Minna no Sukkiri, Wii Fit Plus, Inazuma Eleven 2, Musou MultiRaid Special, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Blue Dragon DS....

I've marked 8/6, 9/17 and 10/1 in my calendar so far. Great sales stuff :lol

jj984jj

cw_sasuke said:
So you think SMT Fans won`t buy SMT just because of GT Portable ? Erm no....
That's not really what I'm implying, no. It was more of a joke but GT:p should still be #1 by a fair margin.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Oops, I thought it was news.
I never would've noticed if I wasn't looking for it a month ago, it's sort of weird how they set it so stealthy.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Still good I think for SMT and GT to miss 10/1.

10/1 currently has PSP Go, Minna no Sukkiri, Wii Fit Plus, Inazuma Eleven 2, Musou MultiRaid Special, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Blue Dragon DS....
Really, these software collisions can't be a good thing for all of them.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I've marked 8/6, 9/17 and 10/1 in my calendar so far. Great sales stuff :lol
Don't forget 10/29.

swerve said:
PSP Go is Nov 1st in Japan, no?
Oh, my bad. Its Oct 1st in Europe, NA and Asian countries, but not in Japan :/

Damn, disregard anything else I said then, Nov 1st for PSP Go alongside nothing right now.

jj984jj

We don't really know anything about November yet. Samurai Musou 3 is probably the biggest title slated for November and we still haven't seen any media on it. :lol

There's minor titles like Battle Spirits and Summon Night X from Bandai-Namco and Hexyz Force from Atlus/Sting as well, but I don't doubt that November is still pretty up in the air right now, especially for DS and PSP.

jj984jj said:
We don't really know anything about November yet. Samurai Musou 3 is probably the biggest title slated for November and we still haven't seen any media on it. :lol

There's minor titles like Battle Spirits and Summon Night X from Bandai-Namco and Hexyz Force from Atlus/Sting as well, but I don't doubt that November is still pretty up in the air right now, especially for DS and PSP.

I'm pretty confident that New Super Mario Bros. will be released in late November, and if I remember correctly Winning Eleven is coming out in November as well. Other than that it looks like developers are trying to pack everything into December.

jj984jj

We have even less solid dates for December though, I think November will fill it-self out over the next few weeks.

jj984jj said:
We have even less solid dates for December though, I think November will fill it-self out over the next few weeks.

Ninokuni is supposed to come out in December... but it doesn't have a solid release date... and you're right, pretty much no games have solid release dates. That seems weird, normally we would know what the holiday schedule looks like a little better by now.

schuelma

Guess we won't get Monster Hunter numbers until tomorrow at the normal time.

donny2112

onken said:
Bah, no-one should be allowed to bump this thread again until the MH3 numbers come out.

The numbers will come out tomorrow, as usual. If people expect that, then they won't be disappointed when this thread is bumped without numbers. Besides, whenever the numbers for MH3 are posted, I'm sure there'll be a separate thread made to "wow"/:lol at them (and probably both).

test_account

XP-39C²
It was reported that Monster Hunter 3's first shipment was over 1 million copies, correct? Does anyone know how much "over" is? Is it something like 1,000,001 copies (i doubt that, but hey, it is still over 1 million hehe :)) or something like 1.1 million copies or something?

schuelma

test_account said:
It was reported that Monster Hunter 3's first shipment was over 1 million copies, correct? Does anyone know how much "over" is? Is it something like 1,000,001 copies (i doubt that, but hey, it is still over 1 million hehe :)) or something like 1.1 million copies or something?

I'm guessing something like 50K or 100K over a million, but nothing concrete was ever disclosed.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
I'm guessing something like 50K or 100K over a million, but nothing concrete was ever disclosed.
Ok, pity that the shipment number werent more accurate :\ But i would guess that Capcom would at least have been a bit more specific about the shipment numbers if they shipped quite many copies over 1 million copies. So i would also guess something like 50K or 100K copies over 1 million copies myself :)

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
But the draw is to the bundles, if there has just been a MH3 that used the CC that would be one thing.

Almost everyone I know wanted either the Wii Bundle or the CC Pro Bundle, even though I bought the MHG CC Bundle (and own 2 CC's already) I still want the MH3 Black CC Bundle.

Not sure how much that will hurt overall sales, you are right it is not like the MHG debacle where the CC was required and so nobody was buying the standalone.
How was the sale split between the MHG bundle and the standalone version?

amtentori said:
do people just want the black CC pro or do they really lack a classic controller?

Most ppl I know have at least one CC.
Unfortunately i dont know the answer to your question, but regarding the black CC pro, is this being sold seperately as well, or is it only available in the Monster Hunter 3 bundle? Or does the MH3 hardware bundle also include a black colored CC pro?

markatisu

test_account said:
How was the sale split between the MHG bundle and the standalone version?

If I remember correctly the initial shipment of of MHG was 120k for Bundles and 90k for standalone. It sold close to 100% (3/4 I think Day 1) of the bundles and 2/3 of the standalones.

Unfortunately i dont know the answer to your question, but regarding the black CC pro, is this being sold seperately as well, or is it only available in the Monster Hunter 3 bundle? Or does the MH3 hardware bundle also include a black colored CC pro?

The CC Pro is sold separately as well as inside a MH3 bundle (just as MHG had a CC Bundle)

test_account said:

AFAIK, this is the breakdown:

• Monster Hunter Tri + Wii hardware bundle (includes console, game, Wii remote/nunchuk and CC Pro, all in black)
  • Monster Hunter Tri + CC Pro bundle (black)
  • Monster Hunter Tri + CC Pro bundle (white)
  • Monster Hunter Tri

The CC Pro is also available in black or white as a standalone, so if the bundles are sold out then you can make up your own bundle.

It seems like Nintendo and Capcom have gone all out to make sure that if you want the game and CC Pro you'll be able to get it in one of several configurations, hopefully avoiding the problem they had with MHG Wii.

markatisu

Cosmonaut X said:

• Monster Hunter Tri + Wii hardware bundle (includes console, game, Wii remote/nunchuk and CC Pro, all in black)
  • Monster Hunter Tri

Yeah I think that is all of them, the only other one that comes to mind is the E-Capcom one but that was only available in small quantities (Game, CD, Concert DVD, Statue) and probably not factoring into total sales

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
If I remember correctly the initial shipment of of MHG was 120k for Bundles and 90k for standalone. It sold close to 100% (3/4 I think Day 1) of the bundles and 2/3 of the standalones.
Ok, thanks for the info :) It seems that the CC bundle of MHG Wii sold the most, but 90k sold of the standalone version isnt really that bad, is it? :)

markatisu said:
The CC Pro is sold separately as well as inside a MH3 bundle (just as MHG had a CC Bundle)
Cosmonaut X said:

• Monster Hunter Tri

The CC Pro is also available in black or white as a standalone, so if the bundles are sold out then you can make up your own bundle.

It seems like Nintendo and Capcom have gone all out to make sure that if you want the game and CC Pro you'll be able to get it in one of several configurations, hopefully avoiding the problem they had with MHG Wii.
Ok, nice to hear that the CC Pro is for sale seperately as well :) And i think it is cool to see that Monster Hunter 3 got good support when it comes to bundles, since i like bundles. I would prefer the Monster Hunter 3 bundle with the CC Pro controller because of the "special" box instead of buying a standalone copy of MH3 and then a separate CC Pro controller though, since that special box is cooler to own for collection purposes, at least in my opinion :) Thanks for the info to the both of you! :)

markatisu said:
Yeah I think that is all of them, the only other one that comes to mind is the E-Capcom one but that was only available in small quantities (Game, CD, Concert DVD, Statue) and probably not factoring into total sales
I saw in the "Monster Hunter 3 lines" (or something like that) thread here on NeoGAF that one guy had a small and separate Monster Hunter 3 box. Is is the box that contains the statue? And what this Game, CD, Concert DVD, and statue something that were included seperately, or was all of this stuff inside one Special (or Limited) Edition box?

[PS1] Dragon Quest VII - 1.860.000 - 1.070.000 - 329.000 - 155.000
[PS2] Dragon Quest VIII - 2.240.000 - 560.000 - 200.000 - 117.000
[NDS] Dragon Quest IX - 2.343.000 - 603.000 - 271.000 - 172.000

DQIX has the best fourth week out of the last three DQ installments.

jj984jj

slaughterking said:
[PS1] Dragon Quest VII - 1.860.000 - 1.070.000 - 329.000 - 155.000
[PS2] Dragon Quest VIII - 2.240.000 - 560.000 - 200.000 - 117.000
[NDS] Dragon Quest IX - 2.320.000 - 603.000 - 271.000 - 172.000

DQIX has the best fourth week out of the last three DQ installments.
Since it's shipped we don't know for sure really...

Top Bottom