• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Retro Marathon: Sony PlayStation/ PSOne - Every Launch Game Tested!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Bringing together three prior DF Retro episodes for a long-play marathon video spanning a massive two hours and 46 minutes, John Linneman and Audi Sorlie revisit the launch of the Sony PlayStation from its origins in Japan to its eventual rollout across the globe - and in the process, assess every single launch title in all three territories, stacking them up against other versions on other systems. It's coverage without compromise. This is DF Retro.

00:00:00 Introduction
00:01:33 Chapter 1: Interactive Origins (Making of PlayStation)
00:09:05 Chapter 2: PlayStation arrives in Japan (Japanese launch games)
00:12:18 Ridge Racer
00:18:56 Gokujyou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack
00:26:19 TAMA: Adventurous Ball in Giddy Labyrinth
00:29:39 Crime Crackers
00:35:33 A IV Evolution
00:38:09 Nekketsu Oyako
00:43:50 Mahjong Madness
00:48:52 Chapter 3: Journey to the West (Launching PlayStation in North America)
00:52:28 Chapter 4: The American Dream (North American launch games)
00:54:43 Total Eclipse Turbo
01:00:19 Battle Arena Toshinden
01:06:27 Rayman
01:17:00 Street Fighter: The Movie
01:26:21 The Raiden Project
01:30:53 NBA Jam T.E.
01:43:35 Power Server 3D Tennis
01:46:17 ESPN Extreme Games
01:51:55 Kileak: The DNA Imperative
01:57:47 Chapter 5: To a New World (Launching PlayStation in Europe)
02:05:06 Chapter 6: Your European PAL (European launch games)
02:07:45 Wipeout
02:15:08 Air Combat
02:17:20 Rapid Reload/Gunner's Heaven
02:25:24 Novastorm
02:32:03 Jumping Flash!
02:38:35 Lemmings 3D
02:42:54 Ending
02:44:41 Credits

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
O7747fS.jpg

ESPN Extreme Games was great and I'm tired of pretending it wasn't.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I remember getting a ps1 a few months after it came out and being so excited for toshinden. It’s so clunky and slow today, but 13 year old me played that game like crazy and got all the unlocks. Rolling around in 3D was magic at the time and the soundtrack is something I can go back and listen to even today! Those butt rocking guitar solos are amazing.

I remember getting a ps1 a few months after it came out and being so excited for toshinden. It’s so clunky and slow today, but 13 year old me played that game like crazy and got all the unlocks. Rolling around in 3D was magic at the time and the soundtrack is something I can go back and listen to even today! Those butt rocking guitar solos are amazing.

So this 👍😎, maybe not quite 13 though 🤣🤣

Also loved me some tekken, wipeout and ridge racer in that first year. Capped of with the complete doom (spent an Xmas in the dark ploughing through it 😳🤣😊, but can’t remember if it was year 1, or the Xmas slightly after)

Then topped off with the die hard trilogy, with a light gun 🫶🏽 The cherry on a large and great cake

It’s what reignited my love of gaming, for me ❤️

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It really drives home how its launch lineup wasn't anything special and its success was all because of Sony's marketing prowess (whether overhyping their stuff or slander against the competition). Not that other systems had great launch windows but, PS didn't really top what they had shown by then.

SNES/Genesis level 2D run and gun/shmups and some crude 3D titles were hyped as the second coming of gaming Jesus while the competition was judged on its own lackluster launch and, mostly by the western media, deemed dead on arrival despite quickly redeeming itself with great content.​

Last edited:
Really drives home how its launch lineup wasn't anything special and its success was all because of Sony's marketing prowess (whether overhyping their stuff or slander against the competition). Not that other systems had great launch windows but, PS didn't really top what they had shown by then...

I disagree. The Saturn did have a pretty good early library of games and arguably the best 3D fighter from a gameplay POV during that period, but most of its best games were arcade ports with very little new content. Not only that, but some were already ported to other systems like the 32X (VF and Virtua Racing).

And while Virtual Fighter beat Tekken & Toshinden in gameplay, overall I still find the other two more interesting to go back to for a quick session or what-have-you. Also FWIW, I don't really remember Sony pushing any slander against SEGA outside of the stuff like the Crash Bandicoot ads, which weren't any different and arguably tamer than the stuff SEGA did against Nintendo in the 16-bit era.

It definitely wasn't all down to marketing why PS1 took off in the West and Saturn didn't; SEGA might've arguably had a few very select edges in very specific genres (3D fighters, light gun, maybe arcade racers) in pure technical terms, but they didn't have the variety or volume of content Sony did even from early on. I'd say both had about the same number of "great" early games but PS1 had a lot more "good" games than Saturn in the early phase, at least in the West.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Really drives home how its launch lineup wasn't anything special and its success was all because of Sony's marketing prowess (whether overhyping their stuff or slander against the competition). Not that other systems had great launch windows but, PS didn't really top what they had shown by then...
By the end of 1995 we got Twisted Metal, Destruction Derby, Tekken, Warhawk, Loaded, X-COM, and the best console port of Doom. So the games came out fast and furious.

nush

What does not get mentioned enough is the Link Cable games and how in a pre-internet connected world for consoles (PC already had LAN parties) this was something special and unique. It did take a while for normies to learn about this.

freefornow

Gold Member

00:00:00 Introduction
00:01:33 Chapter 1: Interactive Origins (Making of PlayStation)
00:09:05 Chapter 2: PlayStation arrives in Japan (Japanese launch games)
00:12:18 Ridge Racer
00:18:56 Gokujyou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack
00:26:19 TAMA: Adventurous Ball in Giddy Labyrinth
00:29:39 Crime Crackers
00:35:33 A IV Evolution
00:38:09 Nekketsu Oyako
00:43:50 Mahjong Madness
00:48:52 Chapter 3: Journey to the West (Launching PlayStation in North America)
00:52:28 Chapter 4: The American Dream (North American launch games)
00:54:43 Total Eclipse Turbo
01:00:19 Battle Arena Toshinden
01:06:27 Rayman
01:17:00 Street Fighter: The Movie
01:26:21 The Raiden Project
01:30:53 NBA Jam T.E.
01:43:35 Power Server 3D Tennis
01:46:17 ESPN Extreme Games
01:51:55 Kileak: The DNA Imperative
01:57:47 Chapter 5: To a New World (Launching PlayStation in Europe)
02:05:06 Chapter 6: Your European PAL (European launch games)
02:07:45 Wipeout
02:15:08 Air Combat
02:17:20 Rapid Reload/Gunner's Heaven
02:25:24 Novastorm
02:32:03 Jumping Flash!
02:38:35 Lemmings 3D
02:42:54 Ending
02:44:41 Credits

Appreciate the timestamping adamsapple adamsapple

Buggy Loop

2h45 :messenger_face_screaming:

PSX will always have a special place in my heart. Even that intro, fucking hell, masterpiece

Peak teenage years. Me and my brother would play Resident Evil non stop when it released, It would be an event, we took the family TV hostage and everyone watched us play it.

The console looked good, maybe the last true good looking console in fact. Those black boxes that followed were ugly imo.

Audiophile

I remember living up on the top, end-flat near a roundabout around my neck of the woods. I was about 4 and I recall my brother who's ten years older than me constantly pestering my mum about a "Play Station". I had zero concept of what this was and distinctly remember thinking in my 4yr old mind's eye that this was some sort of "station that you'd play at", like a mat with some beams and pillars attached that you'd put together and panels with toys attached or dangling.

Up until then my only concept of a console was his SNES which I only recall playing some game on where you'd ride unicycles on a rainbow. When I heard "Play Station"; it really didn't compute that it was another thing like that. Through my lens at that age I just thought of physical things you play with/at, wondering if like my plastic tool bench it'd have toy drills and bolts and stuff..

What I can only assume was about a year later he had a PS1 & TOCA and I recall being blown away that the bonnet would come off of cars. Thinking it was so realistic!!

Last edited:

sachos

The amount of love, knowledge and work John puts into his Retro videos is astounding. Hard to find someone that loves games and is as knowledged as him in the industry. I wish he would do a PS2 sequel to this one (i know he has a stream with Audi but its not the same). His PS3 1080p Dream video is amazing too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom