• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Road Rash - The Complete Saga - Every Game & Every Port Revisted!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
2 hours of Road Rash goodness.

Electronic Arts' Road Rash was a major title for its initial push onto the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis consoles, with the series migrating to CD-based hardware and 'next-gen' consoles including the 3DO, Saturn and PlayStation, taking in some intriguing handhelds ports along the way. Join John Linneman for this extended look into the franchise from its origins through to its eventual decline and extinction.

00:00:00 - Introduction
00:01:49 - Chapter 1 - Before Road Rash
00:03:24 - The origins of Road Rash
00:06:03 - Chapter 2 - Road Rash 1
00:09:31 - How do the graphics work?
00:16:19 - Port Analysis - Amiga, Master System, Game Gear, Game Boy, Book, PSP
00:28:25 - Chapter 3 - Road Rash 2
00:32:03 - Road Rash on Game Boy Color
00:34:09 - Chapter 4 - Enter the 3DO
00:37:11 - Road Rash for 3DO
00:46:00 - Port Analysis: PlayStation
00:52:33 - Port Analysis: Sega Saturn
00:57:10 - Port Analysis: Windows 95
01:02:00 - Sound Comparison
01:04:47 - Chapter 5 - Road Rash 3 and Road Rash CD
01:15:50 - Bad Super NES Clones ft. Audi Sorlie
01:18:00 - Chapter 6 - Road Rash 3D for PlayStation
01:27:49 - Chapter 7 - Road Rash 64 for N64
01:32:41 - Chapter 8 - Road Rash: Jailbreak for PlayStation
01:39:36 - Road Rash: Jailbreak for Game Boy Advance
01:46:02 - The Ending and Credits

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
76usLnN.png

This would be considered trash and unplayable in modern era GAF.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Thanks for posting. This took me back.

My fellow gaming nerd friend got me Road Rash PC in (I think) 1999 for my birthday when it was one of those budget games you could pick up at Wal-Mart. I remember it didn't have an ESRB rating and instead had a thermometer-like graphic on the cover saying something like "moderate violence".

Seeing the different graphics options for that version, I wonder what settings I played it on. Oh, to be blissfully unaware of trying to optimize graphical fidelity again. Ironically, I can blame Digital Foundry for training me to pay (too much) attention to that aspect of gaming these days lol

Me and my cousin couldn’t get enough of these games. There was also a skating one that you could grab onto cars and kick other people off.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
For a series where most of the games are dodgy it gets way too much renown for a couple half decent entries just because of the edgy themes a la Mortal Kombat that made crap cool for the casuals back in the day. Those early 3D engines had some really interesting stuff going for them though.

Like the original NFS looks so smooth with a long draw distance but later games (in the series or in general like on Sega Saturn) are like completely different and not at all like a refinement/improvement of that style. Idk what makes them so unique? Or is it just the super low res and use of sprites?

I'd have liked to see more in that vein just with a little bit better car modeling and collisions etc., better HUD and such refinements (even if they'd have to sacrifice the also cool mirror or anything else to make it happen but surely they didn't max out the engine's potential with the first entry anyway).

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
I picked up Road Rash 1 at a swap meet for like $15 wen I was 9, played the shit out of it on my Genesis.

Last edited:

RickMasters

I remember I used to rent RR1 for the megadrive back in the day with my pocket money every other week.

Eventually saw the 3D0 version and NFS and was blown away….. not enough to want one but enough to know my megadrive was not cutting edge….. well… VF1 and virtua racing might have had something to do with that too….

Top Bottom