• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Tekken 8 Is Absolutely Superb - DF Tech Review - PS5/Xbox Series/PC/Steam Deck

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Namco's back with a brand-new Tekken, built for the latest generation of consoles and PC... and it's simply brilliant. John Linneman goes into depth on the new game, its use of Unreal Engine 5, its newly refined visuals and excellent audio. All versions of the game are covered, from PlayStation through Xbox to PC - and there's a look at an optimised experience for Valve's Steam Deck. Oh - and input lag analysis too, via the best in the business, Nigel Woodall.

00:00 - Introduction
01:40 - Tekken is Back!
02:42 - Tekken 8's Feature Summary
03:52 - Tekken 7 Comparisons
05:29 - Console Comparisons
08:25 - PC Settings Recommendations
10:48 - Steam Deck Best Settings
13:01 - Input Lag /w Nigel Woodall
17:09 - Comparison with Trailer and CG
18:09 - Sound Discussion
19:56 - Final Thoughts

Last edited:

Skifi28

O3PSKKR.jpg

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
HDR in the demo vs the final release (PS5) is what i'm interested in......does anyone have any feedback on this? The HDR in the demo was too bright and washed out no matter how much i fiddled with the settings.

adamsapple

- Built on Unreal Engine 5 and only available on current gen (Series S|X, PS5) and PC.
- Compared to Tekken 7 on PS4, superior shading, better clothes, better lighting, better background detail / integration etc. More detail everywhere you look.
- Tekken 7 was stuck on 1080p on PS4 Pro, 720p on PS4/XBO/XBOne X (never got One X patch)

Consoles:
- Tekken 8 load times are very fast. 4~5 seconds.
- All consoles use DRS. PS5/SX DRS to 4K but generally stick at or above 1440p most of the time.
- Series X generally has higher resolution but just a slight advantage.
- Series S drops to 720p or even lower at times.
- All consoles use TAA, but the coverage is closest to PC's FSR 1.0 equivalent.

- PS5 / SX look effectively identical.
- Series S uses lower resolution textures.
- All consoles hit the 60 FPS target comfortably.

* PC settings segment which I will just gloss over *

- Lots of image up-scaling options on PC
- DLSS is the best upscaling option
- No DLAA support
- Unreal's TSR gives the best possible image quality, if you have the hardware headroom

- Steamdeck needs adjustments to reach 60 FPS
- Drop rendering res to 70%, drop settings to medium/low
- TSR is the only one which provides decent image quality here
- These settings reach 60 FPS most of the time

- PC version is the only one which has per-object motion blur

- Input Latency:
- Tekken 7's best was 73 ms on PS4
- Tekken 8 PS5 demo ran at 58 ms response, quickest Tekken game on console
- SX 57.87 (pretty much the same as PS5)
- Series S: 58.01
- All consoles are give or take the very same and very fast at response

- PC version ideally is 42ms with V-sync off

- Character models now match or exceed the pre-rendered models from previous game CGs

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Game looks great and has run very smoothly for me as well (PC).

Had some noticeable lag on one match with a wifi warrior, but outside of that, no issues since they fixed the server problem.

Time for some good ass Tekken.

Schmick

This game makes me want to venture into fighting games again (the last one I bought was Street Fighter 2 for the Mega Drive).

adamsapple

Harada making amends for never updating Tekken 7 on Xbox from 720p.

To a greater point, all the recent string of UE5 games have had some kind of advantage on SX.

VGTech did a frame rate test on the demo and the SX also dropped less frames per their testing.

So their tests debunk the FUD that has been spreading that the PS5 version has more input latency. All the consoles are the same, and this game beats even Tekken 1 on the PS1!

Vergil1992

I have a feeling this thread won't have many pages talking about PS5/XSX hardware. I also think that DF has "detected" the resolution difference because VG Tech had already done its analysis.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
To a greater point, all the recent string of UE5 games have had some kind of advantage on SX.

VGTech did a frame rate test on the demo and the SX also dropped less frames per their testing.

So did Alan Wake II, due to its use of mesh shaders.

459f2990-0c95-436f-afae-8f25045cef15_text.gif

But Tekken 7 released on the XBO at 720p and they never did a X patch to upgrade it. Killer Instinct did. Went from 720p, to 900p, and now 4K.

Darsxx82

Great work on all platforms.
Yes, XSS is also a great version as DF point out in the same analysis despite its cuts. MK1 was already very good, which leaves what Capcom did with the XSS version of SF VI close to being denounceable.

Basically it is what was seen in the demo and that VGtech already analyzed. Next, it is important that the input lag is very correct (the same) on all consoles. But it is the PC version that takes the prize. Also with the option of applying MotionBlur, its absence on consoles is incomprehensible.

shamoomoo

It might be level specific,but at 8:16, the Series X has more shimmering going on, that doesn't make sense if it runs at a higher resolution.

Fake

Locked 60 is a 'must' for every fightning game. Glad they opt to kick out those UE5 effects in favor of perfomance.

Vergil1992

It might be level specific,but at 8:16, the Series X has more shimmering going on, that doesn't make sense if it runs at a higher resolution.
Not necessarily, Avatar has a higher resolution in XSX and also has more artifacts/shimmering. Anyway, it's not entirely true, some areas seem to have more shimmering on XSX and others on PS5 in the same image.

Also at minute 8 if you look next to the police car, on PS5 it has more shimmering.

The resolution aspect is perfectly evident in John's example:

Captura-de-pantalla-2024-01-26-180916.png

The PS5 image is clearly noisier and less sharp. Although to be honest, while playing it is impossible to tell the difference. In static and with zoom it is easy.

adamsapple

Game looks great. I'll most probably buy it tomorrow, for my XSX, and very happy XSX version is very very good :)

Thankfully the D-pads on the Series controllers are better than the X360 ones, so it won't feel shitty playing with them like it did back then.

Klosshufvud

Thankfully the D-pads on the Series controllers are better than the X360 ones, so it won't feel shitty playing with them like it did back then.
It still feels kinda shitty though.

This is a great PC port. Unfortunately doesn't look as good as Tekken 7 on handheld but I haven't looked into the mods that disable all the post-processing shit. It's a way busier game than T7 for sure.

SKYF@ll

Not necessarily, Avatar has a higher resolution in XSX and also has more artifacts/shimmering. Anyway, it's not entirely true, some areas seem to have more shimmering on XSX and others on PS5 in the same image.

Also at minute 8 if you look next to the police car, on PS5 it has more shimmering.

The resolution aspect is perfectly evident in John's example:

Captura-de-pantalla-2024-01-26-180916.png

The PS5 image is clearly noisier and less sharp. Although to be honest, while playing it is impossible to tell the difference. In static and with zoom it is easy.
The best comparison is when DF pauses and zooms in.
Artifacts are noticeable in the hair and diagonal lines of particles.
This game is equivalent to the level where no one can tell the difference between PS5 and XSX in a blind test.(IQ,Loading time and Input latency)
qMwyOXq.png

Majukun

I've updated my nvidia drivers but after being installed i just get a black screen that never goes away.
resetting the PC brings back everything to normal and geforce experience says drivers are up to date, but tekken 8 doesn't appear on the "optimization" screen.
How can i verify that everything was installed properly?

anyone else with the same issue?

Crayon

So their tests debunk the FUD that has been spreading that the PS5 version has more input latency. All the consoles are the same, and this game beats even Tekken 1 on the PS1!

I didn't even need any fud LOL. I just come to expect it and would have bought on PC had not been for some weird glitch b******* in my $100 worth of Tekken 7 that pissed me off.

Vergil1992

The best comparison is when DF pauses and zooms in.
Artifacts are noticeable in the hair and diagonal lines of particles.
This game is equivalent to the level where no one can tell the difference between PS5 and XSX in a blind test.(IQ,Loading time and Input latency)
qMwyOXq.png

I think the result is clear, whether we want to accept it or not. It's a moving alpha effect, in one frame you could have more artifacts on one and in the next frame on the other platform, there could be many variables, including whether the enemy has blocked the attack or not (the effect is not exactly the same). There could be many causes, a different upscaler implementation, the effect being different randomly, etc.

I have tried to capture identical frames several times and each time they are practically the same (the effects vary a little)

Captura-de-pantalla-2024-01-27-004609.png

Captura-de-pantalla-2024-01-27-004618.png

What I have seen in VG Tech's analysis is that on PS5 the framerate tends to drop.

Captura-de-pantalla-2024-01-27-004053.png

Captura-de-pantalla-2024-01-27-004100.png

I don't know if there are still those framerate drops on PS5 in the final version. But I think there is no debate here, some of you have searched frame by frame practically to deny reality: in XSX it has a higher average resolution. There are no more differences (and if there are, it is possibly that XSX is slightly more stable, at least in the demo).

Last edited:
Top Bottom