• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 | Review Thread

Calverz

Man I really can NOT wait for this game. even the OST is probably one of the best OSTs i heard in my life

Raving Night Club GIF

Klosshufvud

Not feeling the T8 soundtrack at all. It's too intensive/wubwub for my taste. Tekken 7 was like that too but also had some beautiful tracks like the final Mishima building round. I'll just use the Jukebox to override the stage music with classic Tekken music.

Is there HDR in the final release on PS?
It’s strange that no one has mentioned this. It really needs HDR.

edit: I searched the reviews and found one mention, but it isn't explicit. The reviewer could just have HDR enabled on the TV but the game isn’t putting out HDR.

Not feeling the T8 soundtrack at all. It's too intensive/wubwub for my taste.
The character select music literally makes my head hurt. “Wubwub” is accurate.

Last edited:
It’s strange that no one has mentioned this. It really needs HDR.

edit: I searched the reviews and found one mention, but it isn't explicit. The reviewer could just have HDR enabled on the TV but the game isn’t putting out HDR.

The character select music literally makes my head hurt. “Wubwub” is accurate.

Wait ...does it not have HDR on PS5 but does on SX because of Auto HDR? That could explain why it looks more saturated on SX ...I compared them both on my oled last night and noticed a difference for sure but just assumed they both have hdr ...

It also looks ever so slightly more crisp on SX

//DEVIL//

I wanted to bite it from 3rd party sites. all of them still says preorder and wont give me the key.

I do not like to preorder games. so I am just waiting for one of those sites to say instant delivery .

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I wanted to bite it from 3rd party sites. all of them still says preorder and wont give me the key.

I do not like to preorder games. so I am just waiting for one of those sites to say instant delivery .
gamesplanet always gives out keys as soon as they are available.

//DEVIL//

gamesplanet always gives out keys as soon as they are available.
they are same. preorder only/

I get it I think. since it out tomorrow. but those guys are just selling code. so even if i get the code to unlock the game, I still cant play it. why they are not giving the codes out yet ?

I do not how this process work. even with like gray 3rd party sites), its pre-order only.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
they are same. preorder only/

I get it I think. since it out tomorrow. but those guys are just selling code. so even if i get the code to unlock the game, I still cant play it. why they are not giving the codes out yet ?

I do not how this process work. even with like gray 3rd party sites), its pre-order only.
Not true, i got it from gamesplanet and preloaded already

//DEVIL//

Not true, i got it from gamesplanet and preloaded already

says pre-order now. if I order it, ill get the key right away ? ( I never dealt with them. their price is higher than other sites at least for this game )

I’ll be waiting at my local shop at 10am for my PS5 copy and the silver PS5 cover plates. I’m excited to play. I’m not excited by the thought of paying Sony’s asking price for a month of PS+ just to play online. Gross. Well, it beats paying $105 for a digital game on Steam.

nikos

I’ll be waiting at my local shop at 10am for my PS5 copy and the silver PS5 cover plates. I’m excited to play. I’m not excited by the thought of paying Sony’s asking price for a month of PS+ just to play online. Gross. Well, it beats paying $105 for a digital game on Steam.

You can get the game way cheaper on PC.

Right now it's around $48 Standard, $73 Deluxe, $79 Ultimate.

Last edited:

Edmund

Wait ...does it not have HDR on PS5 but does on SX because of Auto HDR? That could explain why it looks more saturated on SX ...I compared them both on my oled last night and noticed a difference for sure but just assumed they both have hdr ...

PS5 version does have HDR. It's nothing to do with Auto HDR.

Klosshufvud

Unreasonably excited for the SP content. Got back to some Tekken 7 and the story mode and the individual stories hold up surprisingly well. Preloaded and everything and can hopefully avoid spoilers till tomorrow.

Davesky

I’m tempted to buy the game tonight, only other game I’ve payed full price for on release over the last decade is FFVII Remake. Playing the demo has given me the same hype as Tekken 3 release.

My PS5 doesn’t even have the storage space with all the PS Plus games downloaded with all the games missed out on last gen. If I delete the games to free up space, will they still be available to me even if they are later removed from the service? I know that was the case on PS3 but been so long away from gaming.

The demo on PS5 have HDR or is it that fake HDR? I heard it was also present and even adjustable in the beta as well so I’m assuming the full version will have adjustable HDR on both consoles. How good it is remains to be seen though…..

Last edited:
The demo on PS5 have HDR or is it that fake HDR? I heard it was also present and even adjustable in the beta as well so I’m assuming the full version will have adjustable HDR on both consoles. How good it is remains to be seen though…..

The ps5 with hdr on is a little washed out compared to sx. Slightly lower drs average too. Also ps5 has slightly more input lag than sx . The Series X gets the win for this game despite them being close.

But the ps5 pro if it comes will surely come before the next Xbox right? That would make me feel better about ps5 purchase

killatopak

I’m tempted to buy the game tonight, only other game I’ve payed full price for on release over the last decade is FFVII Remake. Playing the demo has given me the same hype as Tekken 3 release.

My PS5 doesn’t even have the storage space with all the PS Plus games downloaded with all the games missed out on last gen. If I delete the games to free up space, will they still be available to me even if they are later removed from the service? I know that was the case on PS3 but been so long away from gaming.
Yes that is the case as long as you have added them to your account even if you didn’t download them. Even if your sub lapses, it remembers those you have added to your account. You just have to resub for them to be available for download again. I think it even shows up on your games folder as a separate ps plus folder which shows everything you added to your account and are visible even without an active sub.

phant0m

The monthly PS+ games will be downloadable and playable for you as long as you remain a subscriber even if the publisher de-lists it.

The PS+ “collection” games (ongoing, not monthly) would not be playable if they are removed from the service even if you had it already downloaded.

Tl; dr — delete away, keeping them on local storage gets you nothing.

Hot5pur

Looks good but I've always found these games so difficult to get into. Sf6 is nice and simple in comparison. Seems you need a PhD in Tekken to get to the same level of play as spending 30 hrs in street fighter, am I wrong?

Last edited:
Looks good but I've always found these games so difficult to get into. Sf6 is nice and simple in comparison. Seems you need a PhD in Tekken to get to the same level of play as spending 30 hrs in street fighter, am I wrong?
They are not difficult to get into tall but to be good at it u need to put a lot of hours into it
No matter how good u are with a certain character in online u will never be good unless u know moves of all the characters so u can play against them.
I would suggest pick a character and then stick with it learn combos and stuff on YouTube and get to work

Klosshufvud

Tekken is very simple at a very basic casual level (just button mash or learn some solid moves and stick with them) and extremely hard at a high competitive level (needs extensive knowledge of your own character and your opponent, with a huge roster and commands). So unlike SF which has this linear sort of progression, you'll quickly hit a wall pretty quickly in Tekken getting knowledge-checked by people who put in ten times the hours. Maybe the latest gameplay additions will tone down this fact somewhat but I'm not sure.

Davesky

I haven’t played since Tekken 5 but based on the demo it was fast and intuitive to be able to pause the game and have look at the move list, the menu memorises what was looked at previously so no need to repeatedly scroll through the menu to find what you looked at previously.

My best advice for new players is to stick with one character and memorise only a couple of moves at a time and learn when to execute them at the right time. The trick to becoming a good Tekken player is to find the best move that will quickly launch your opponent into the air then can follow up with attacks. For example, with Jin pressing down x + o at the start of the match then I can follow up with two punches and a variation of different attacks while the opponent is defenseless. I don’t think there’s any point learning any characters combos because any experienced player while have them memorised and know how to defend from it.

Blocking from attacks is also important, it’s hard to explain but an experienced player will rapidly alternate tapping different directions creating a jittery motion which makes it easier to defend but also more unpredictable to play against. No idea how much of this advice has changed with newer releases and abilities.

killatopak

Tekken 8 actually has a robust tutorial mode with movelists that cater to newcomers. It gives you bread and butter moves and combos and actually tells you in the description when and where to use them. The rest of the movelist are on a separate tab for advanced players once you mastered the basics.

Really, I’ve seen youtubers post videos on their transition from 2D fighters to 3D ones like Tekken and they did it smoothly. One in particular even went deep into tournaments despite being a beginner in Tekken.

Top Bottom