• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 players express anger as the game adds overpriced microtransactions

Draugoth

Gold Member
tekken-8-pic7-1440x810.jpg

Some Tekken 8 players have reacted with anger at the addition of microtransactions to the game, via a premium currency.

Bandai Namco had previously told players that a mode called Tekken Shop would be coming to the game, and that it would contain cosmetic items like character costumes and avatar skins. It also stated that costumes would cost 400 Tekken Coins, and that this would amount to around $4.

However, the game’s new version 1.02.01 patch has just rolled out, adding the Tekken Shop, and players are unhappy that – as with numerous other games which use a premium currency – Tekken Coins can only be bought in bundles. As such, anyone wishing to buy a costume for 400 Tekken Coins would have to buy a bundle of 500 Coins for $5, leaving them with 100 Coins remaining.

The shop has launched with eight costumes, at a total price of 3200 Coins. The cheapest way to buy them all is to buy a 3210 Coin bundle costing $29.99.

Simply ignore it?
Unless too much core content is locked away I have zero problems with such naturally greedy practices, since it is not aimed at the average gamer but at whales who hopefully can actually afford it.

Recently finished Tekken 7, I could not play the characters of an entire row in the selection screen, but I did not really master any of the characters anyway. A solid set of character does not even need that mamy. MK and KI on SNES with some dozen tops was enough. More is for actual superfans of the genre/game.

Last edited:

ssringo

I don't necessarily have a problem with buying skins and costumes but these companies love to do it in a shitty manner. $4 costume but you can't just pay $4. Gotta pay $5 so there's a bit leftover that they either pocket or you have to spend more to break "even".

I know it's been researched to figure out the best way to fleece more money but fucksakes it's obnoxious.

Puscifer

Did the game not sell enough copies to turn a nice profit? Or is this just to add to it?
I have to say even though I had my fun with MK1 the amount of contact they packed into it, especially costumes, makes this look like a joke. Japanese fightetrs have become dollhouses.

Last edited:

Boralf

How much different is Tekken 8 compared to Tekken 7? I get the feeling that these fighting games are a bit like Fifa, where not much changes between the games and is just easy money making. Probably got new stages, music etc, but the overall game mechanics are the same right? But then again, most games actually do this, so I don't know.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I get the feeling that these fighting games are a bit like Fifa, where not much changes between the games and is just easy money making. Probably got new stages, music etc, but the overall game mechanics are the same right?
Lolno, every entry is different, it's why you'll hear people saying they hated one entry or love another.
Street fighter is basically built from scratch with every numbered entry.

Unless people ignore it completely and don't give it their money (Which won't happen), this will continue to be the standard in fighting games...

I think SNK is the only company/studio that hasn't engaged with this, yet.
Mostly because there isn't a very new SNK game out.
Garou 2 maybe, but I genuinely don't see them doing that with Garou...

Anyway, "vote" with your wallet, I guess...
Other people will vote with their wallets too, unfortunately. By opening it, not closing it.

The whole paying for characters thing used to bother me, but it became a way to curate the roster on my end. The one thing that annoys me is the extra layer of in-game currency for cosmetics. Should just make that stuff directly purchasable. Dead or Alive got a lot of flack for it, but it often adds stuff to the game that would otherwise be absent.

Reactions: Isa
I think the best way to introduce Mtx items in game is create a way that player doesn't want to spend money on mtx could somehow grinds credit to purchase. I think in SF V has that system.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
How much different is Tekken 8 compared to Tekken 7? I get the feeling that these fighting games are a bit like Fifa, where not much changes between the games and is just easy money making. Probably got new stages, music etc, but the overall game mechanics are the same right? But then again, most games actually do this, so I don't know.

They are way different but also reuse a bunch of ancient animations. Nothing like sports games tho.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Did the "Tekken 8 players" really expect anything else?

They didn’t do this with Tekken 7. Not sure why you’re putting Tekken 8 players in quotes as if they don’t really exist btw.

I find it hard to complain about this when they already offer so much customization for free.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
They didn’t do this with Tekken 7. Not sure why you’re putting Tekken 8 players in quotes as if they don’t really exist btw.

I find it hard to complain about this when they already offer so much customization for free.

I put them in quotes because of the thread title. And I fail to see the relevance to what they did with earlier titles. It's not like it hasn't happened before to other series. I personally don't care about Tekken at all, but these scummy practices should always be called out, and players should - unfortunately - expect them nowadays.

StereoVsn

T8 is incredible and filled to the brim with content. It's easy to forgive a few optional costumes being sold as DLC.
The issue isn’t that you buy costumes as DLC. The issue is that fuctards at Bamco make you purchase more of their special stupid currency than you need for a costume.

Costume is $4…. But you can only buy $5 worth of currency, because of course they would do that. And this is annoying as shit, no need to defend more Corpo greed.

Crayon

There is going to be some limited reuse of things but it's definitely what you'd call a whole new game. If you've played a good but of Tekken 7 it all seems quite different. Fighting games tend to look samey from the outside looking in, though. Changing the basics of the gameplay usually ends in tears so new gameplay systems can be layered in top or taken out of the core system to mix things up for sequels.

Sony

Nintendo
Tekken 8 offers a lot of value for the purchase price out of the box. The devs have all the right to launch a shop for additional revenue in a non game breaking way. Entitled gamers should just stop whining. If you think it's overpriced, don't buy it. Simple.

Last edited:
Top Bottom