• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4's latest microtransaction controversy is a $30 portal recolor: "You can get Palworld for this price"

Eotheod

Anyone close to gaming development know how things get monetized?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I dont imagine a graphics or audio guy making a game thinking about what things he made being monetized. I also dont see an accountant or finance guy not close enough to the game picking out what parts of a game should be monetized. I also dont see CEOs like Bobby Kotick guys sitting there all day playing a game and picking what parts of a game should be monetized either.

I'm guessing there's some kind of pseudo-role where he's close enough to the game, but also close enough to financial models, he can put two and two together and come up with mtx ideas and set a price.
How far can you push really. That is the jist of the pricing challenges, plus or minus historical values. Microtransactions have over time been slowly increasing, with justification pointed at either "inflation" or "we are so totally putting more time into this so clearly it should cost more!" Hell, Fortnite is horrible with their pricing schedules with some stuff being over $40(AUD) for skins and not even emotes.

Palette swaps are the easiest to create, yet also the hardest to justify the price tag. You'll see they are the ones that can easily fall in the "oh only $2-$4 sweet I'll get it" or "oh you want $20USD for literally coloured portals) baskets. Hell I remember Blizzard got a lot of (rightful) hate towards their shit BC/WotLK tiered armour that was just recolouring without anything significant changed."

There is also the case of Joe from Marketing thinking he has this brilliant lightning bolt brainwave that if the developer charges $19.99 it'll snag people because its not quite $20. It may or may not be worth $19.99, but the psychology of pricing schemes like that is we are more likely to go for a $.99 price tag then whole dollar amount. Also there is a lot of pulling out of a hat pricing.

Topher

Gold Member
If you're still playing a Blizzard game in 2024 you deserve what you get. Have some self-respect.

GF8nldhXoAAb2IF

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Itchy Tickles

Neo Member
It's sad and disgusting that companies just put this out and have no shame or try not to come across as greedy exploitative parasites. Also just as sad, maybe worse, that people will buy it and these companies will see the profit as a pat on the back and that they are going in the right direction.

I know Microsoft owns them all now, but ffs, I see in new releases on Steam, like once a month, a new Call of Duty pack (Blackcell or something) for around £26, seriously. Then you read the mostly negative reviews and it's people joking about "why I buy this?" "What a rip off" "don't be like me, avoid!" BUT THEY KEEP FUCKING BUYING IT, THE CUNTS.

Makes things worse for everyone the more this crap is bought.

Top Bottom