• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch - Review Thread

Acerac

Banned
I didn't enjoy the beta. It felt like a really generic shooting game with little depth to it. Also graphics made it feel like it should be f2p. Just my opinion.

The buttshots of the waifus in this game though are perfectly legit!

All Blizz games should be F2P. Hearthstone is F2P and Diablo 3/WoW paid me to play them.

Blizzard plz.

BiggNife

Can somebody PLEASE explain this to me, i dont get it:

Why is this game getting so much good reviews?

I played the last beta for a couple of hours and found it really mediocre (for multiple reasons i will not get into detail to prevent getting roasted).

I don't see what this game does have to make it so exceptional good.
After the beta i thought "okay, i have seen all of the game now, why should i buy it?" .

For me it just looks so much like a standard mp shooter without much variation on unlockables that matter and many weapons.

This is no post to bash/flame the game, im really interested in getting the clue of this game, because until now i feel like the only guy in the room who doesnt know why this game is so much praised and good.

Maybe im getting old :(

It is totally okay to not like a game that a lot of people love, and it doesn't mean that you're "missing something" or "wrong" or anything like that. Not every game is for everyone, and that's fine! I think you're getting a little too worked up about this. For example, I wasn't super blown away by Uncharted 4 in the way a lot of people were/are.

But to answer your question, I think what makes Overwatch stand out is how polished it feels. The art style is incredibly cohesive, all of the characters feel fleshed out both in terms of mechanics and personality, it manages to feel relatively balanced with 21 different characters, etc. It's not doing anything particularly new but it does what it sets out to do with a level of confidence and refinement that really makes it stand out from other recent MP shooters, imo.

Dreavus

Ofcourse but still each class had 3 different engagement options, so you're selling it short by saying TF2 does a little less than half the classes of Overwatch so it's less complicated purely on that basis while ignoring the different playstyle and counters each of those abilities, equipments and weapons provided. 1 character in TF2 is a more complex than 1 in Overwatch even without the additions. It's the entire reason Overwatch has more characters in total.

And I can guarantee you that you won't have alternate weapons for existing characters and I doubt Blizzard will add as many as 30 more characters via updates.

Yep, I'm pretty sure they won't add weapon variations to Overwatch, at least for now. They tried skill variations as part of a progression system back in beta, but they backed off from it because of the knowledge load it puts on players. Now you don't only need to know what Reaper does, but also what all of his weird side grades do too. Multiplied by every character in the game because players can switch at any time.

However without the additions I am hard pressed to say TF2 characters are that much more complex. They all have a unique primary, a (mostly) goofy melee weapon, and then a bunch of them share side arms. The new weapons definitely blow this wide open, but if we're talking about what they started with, it wasn't anything too crazy. Absolutely not a bad thing and I think the clean load outs are what made the game so easy to get into in the beginning. If we're comparing to Overwatch, if you include the special abilities and especially ultimates (of which only the medic's overcharge really compares) I'd say they match most classes in TF2. Only the Engie sticks out to me as a guy that can do quite a bit more than anyone in Overwatch with his standard load-out.

If we're talking post-first-wave-of-new-weapons then TF2 added some nice variations that open up new playstyles for sure. remote sentry, mini sentry, huntsman, Kritskreige, instant disguise on kill, etc etc etc.

As for where they go with Overwatch in the future I'm not sure. I could see them potentially going back to revisit their "load outs" philosophy in the future to get some variety in there, but if they are big load out changes I think they'd rather add another class instead of tinker with an existing one.

Just updated the OP with all of these:

Forbes - 10/10
Yet here I am, wanting, no, needing to play Overwatch as much as humanly possible. Not to rank up. Not to grind for unlocks. But just because it’s fun.

GamingBolt - 9/10
Overwatch heralds a brave new age for hero shooters, competitive multiplayer shooters and just shooters in general. It's a unique yet fun experience that's accessible to all and flawless with its execution.

GameSpot - 9/10
It's that intoxicating path of discovery that makes Overwatch so varied, so rewarding, and ultimately another seminal release from developer Blizzard. Overwatch is an intelligent cascade of disparate ideas, supporting one another, pouring into one another, and coiling around themselves as they flow into the brilliant shooter underneath.

Brash Games - 8/10
Blizzard and their team, seem to have struck gold with a perfect combination of class based, team centric first person shooting with their latest entry in their storied career. They show that in an era of overpriced and overwrought online only first person shooters, Overwatch stands out above the fray, to deliver a meaningful, competitive experience sure to last for years to come.

M3 - 8/10
Keeping with tradition Blizzard plays it safe and sound when they take on the team based shooter. Overwatch bursts with polish and its great characters are a joy to be played by both casuals and hardcores alike.

Digital Spy - Review in Progress
It's too early to give a definitive verdict now, but Overwatch might just be the best new online shooter to emerge since Titanfall.

What's so crazy about that. It definitely has created a ton of discussion/buzz and captured the zeitgeist. And it says 'potential'

so what would make it a 10 out of 10?

if it is? but we would never know that until the generation is over. so should it get re-reviewed at the end?

just saying, that kind of glowing sentence, you'd think it would be a 10/10 period.

and it's doubtlessly THE game of the summer according to them. So, i guess a 10/10 can never be achieved?

just thought it was funny seeing "9/10" after that. but I frankly dont care how well this game reviews.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, many people also were happy with black/white TV screens...
I like unlocks for motivate me to play a game longer. And only some skins are not what will motivate me to play a game any longer.

And that's fine. It just means the game isn't for you. I tire of grinding to unlock stuff and would rather just play for fun. Especially with MP games since having to unlock characters, weapons, upgrades etc. just makes it an unbalanced mess and leaves those of us with less time to play always behind the people who play a ton. So the other players aren't only more skilled/experienced, but also have better gear and characters. That's not fun to me. But there's a huge market for those games, so I'm glad they're out there. Just like I'm glad their are games like Overwatch that are more focused on balance and just playing for fun.

if it is? but we would never know that until the generation is over. so should it get re-reviewed at the end?

just saying, that kind of glowing sentence, you'd think it would be a 10/10 period.

and it's doubtlessly THE game of the summer according to them. So, i guess a 10/10 can never be achieved?

just weird.

It's not new. The same thing was said about Splatoon. I look at it as a wishful thinking statements.

hollomat

Banned
As others have pointed out, the areas where this game really stands out is the polish. There's 21 different characters and they are all equally fun to play.

This game has actually made playing a healer character fun, and not only that, but it recognizes you for healing/supporting the team and not just who has the most kills. Just yesterday I saw a person playing Mercy (healer) get the play of the game as well as the most votes for mvp.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
As others have pointed out, the areas where this game really stands out is the polish. There's 21 different characters and they are all equally fun to play.

This game has actually made playing a healer character fun, and not only that, but it recognizes you for healing/supporting the team and not just who has the most kills. Just yesterday I saw a person playing Mercy (healer) get the play of the game as well as the most votes for mvp.

Yeah, that's all why it's so great, especially the bolded. All the characters have their uses, are fun to play and fairly easy to pick up and understand what to do.

For comparison, I also really like Battleborn, but only 3 of the characters have clicked with me their and it's much harder to play/learn very different classes than what you play most.

jorgejjvr

I don't pay attention to scores anymore, they are redundant, I read reviews but I never let them influence my purchasing decisions unless there is significant evidence from both customers and critics to back the opinions up.

Overwatch may be a good game but no game should ever get a 10/10, perfect is not achievable, nothing is perfect also critics are biased towards certain companies and the scoring reflects that.

The content of the review is often more important, I personally think scoring systems should be done away with and these arguments (for good or bad) would not happen.

I mean can a multiplayer only game really be considered amongst some of the best games of all time? Games that literally defined genres? That literally changed the way we play games forever?

Is Overwatch in that bracket? I doubt even the most hardcore fan would admit that it is, hence why scoring is redundant.
It is the most fun I've had in a long time as far as multilayer games goes

What are games if not to have fun?

I think that's valid enough

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I mean can a multiplayer only game really be considered amongst some of the best games of all time? Games that literally defined genres? That literally changed the way we play games forever?

Of course? I mean we have tons and tons of games that only play MP games these days, and many more that primarily play MP. The Esports scene has exploded. Games like WoW becoming a lifestyle for many. Gaming online with friends is a huge way many keep in touch and chat with out of town friends etc. etc.

I love single player games, but think it's silly to view MP only games as lesser in quality, impact on the field etc. But I'm not really one of those games as art people, so maybe that's where we differ. I'm a games as fun person, and prefer to fill my art needs with other types of media.

just thought it was funny seeing "9/10" after that. but I frankly dont care how well this game reviews.
I see what your saying, but finding logic in review scores is a fool's errand most likely. Although to be fair a game could certainly be important and influential without being 10/10.

Siege.exe

I mean, that's how the game works, though. It's about counterpicking and balanced team make up. Have you tried to get to know all the characters? I found it's one of those games that will surprise you with how much you end up liking characters you don't think you'd like.

Tried all of 'em, and while they're definitely interesting, I didn't have fun playing with them. As long as I'm contributing, I think it's fine to just stick with one character.

76 is a solid pick every time, but if you insist on maining anybody else, play another game. It really hurts your team if you wont switch.

If you're only playing to win, sure, you should probably be switching characters. Some people just like to have fun though, they shouldn't have to go play a different game just because they want to use the character they like.

Jito

Banned
I enjoy checking this thread between matches on Overwatch, glad to see people losing their shit over these reviews as always.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If you're only playing to win, sure, you should probably be switching characters. Some people just like to have fun though, they shouldn't have to go play a different game just because they want to use the character they like.

Yeah, I think this will work itself out once the competitive playlist is out. The people who care a ton about winning will be over their, and the people that just want to goof around will be in quick play.

What's so crazy about that. It definitely has created a ton of discussion/buzz and captured the zeitgeist. And it says 'potential'

No, it's pretty crazy. Overwatch is not going to create a surge of team fortress-style games. In fact, I don't see any reason to believe we'll see another game of this type this generation at all. But you can bet your ass we'll see plenty of standard military shooters.

Perhaps some future FPS games may continue to evolve the idea of "ultimate" abilities which themselves are a simplified version of a killstreak reward or a Medic's Ubercharge from Team Fortress 2. But lol @ this game defining or influencing a generation of shooters.

The closest game that has come to that description is Titanfall. For all its flaws, it has made free roaming traversal and boost pack-based agility gameplay a thing across an array of titles since it launched. CoD, Halo, Battlefront, Overwatch, and to a lesser extent Destiny were all heavily influenced by what the Titanfall team was doing. Whether Overwatch will have any impact beyond itself and its own sales figures remains to be seen. Look at how successful TF2 has been for Valve. Yet it took 9 years (nine!) for another company to make a good game in the same vein as it.

atom519

Oh, so it's you that picks McCree when we already have two. :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How is this game for someone who hasn't played multiplayer shooters since Rainbow Six: Vegas and is basically terrible at them?

They shouldn't, because nothing is perfect, perfection is an impossibility from a logical stand point.
VHDAXJh.png

Interfectum

How is this game for someone who hasn't played multiplayer shooters since Rainbow Six: Vegas and is basically terrible at them?

A big part of this game is to cater to people who normally don't play shooters. Lots of ways to support the team instead of worrying about raking up kills. If anything you should rent it and see for yourself.

Interfectum

How can it mean anything other than perfect though? A 10/10 is the highest on the scale it can go, it means it can get no better surely?

10/10 means this is the "best" the genre/game/series/whatever has to offer at this point in time or that it's some hallmark achievement. It doesn't mean the game is absolutely flawless and never be topped.

This isn't math here, just someone putting a number on an opinion.

Jito

Banned
What if the other two Soldiers are just repeatedly rushing the other team while I actually play the objective?

What if what if what if...?

You could create all manner of hypothetical situations but having three of the same character wouldn't be the best answer in most cases.

zoukka

People have said this is quite accessible though? I suck at MP and was looking at buying it, I really don't want to get "rekt" lol.

Honestly, just look at videos and streams. If you are interested in FPS MP games then this is indeed a good FPS MP game.

I like this game but I'm not even sure I consider it the best multiplayer shooter out there right now. I would still take Rainbow Six: Siege or Halo 5 over it any day. Then again I was never big on TF2.

I feel like I was invited to the party and sort of danced to the music but wasn't really feeling it while everyone else thought it was the best party ever. - boxquote

Siege.exe

What if what if what if...?

You could create all manner of hypothetical situations but having three of the same character wouldn't be the best answer in most cases.

Eh, it's not my or any other person's responsibility to play characters they don't want to play. I'd rather have fun doing what I like than win playing as a character I don't enjoy.

People have said this is quite accessible though? I suck at MP and was looking at buying it, I really don't want to get "rekt" lol.
It's accessible in the sense that you don't have to have super twitchy MLG reflexes and aiming to be competent. If you can think a bit about positioning and strategy and how to counter things, the actual execution part of the game is not super complicated. You won't get "rekt" most of the time if you play with some thought.

Of course, there will always be those games against a Reinhardt, three Tjorbjorns and a Mercy that make you pull your hair out.

Eh, it's not my or any other person's responsibility to play characters they don't want to play. I'd rather have fun doing what I like than win playing as a character I don't enjoy.

Yeah, I think this has been an issue for me as well. There is an expectation that I feel a hole in a group as needed when I just want to play D.Va or Bastion no matter what. At least I kind of like how Mercy plays so I can do support. Still, if I'm in a D.Va mode I am going to roll D.Va.

It's accessible in the sense that you don't have to have super twitchy MLG reflexes and aiming to be competent. If you can think a bit about positioning and strategy and how to counter things, the actual execution part of the game is not super complicated. You won't get "rekt" most of the time if you play with some thought.

Of course, there will always be those games against a Reinhardt, three Tjorbjorns and a Mercy that make you pull your hair out.

You don't have to be super twitchy but it helps a lot. Otherwise you can play a medic and still be useful.

antitrop

As someone who has had to attribute scores to reviews - scores are stupid. I hated having to come up with them.

It's not a big deal. I can rate my breakfast this morning out of 10.

When you visit the doctor and they ask you your pain level, do you say "scores are stupid"?

DrArchon

So, um for someone who lived under a rock for the past year, what's this game about? Is it team based like Left 4 Dead?

It's team based like TF2. The core gameplay is 6v6 competitive play, though there is a Vs Bots mode if you want to play against the AI.

Siege.exe

Hopefully you'll see the light and realise there's more to this game than shooting and getting kills.

Yeah, it's called playing the objective and healing myself/others when needed. The kills are just sugar on top :)

Yeah, I think this has been an issue for me as well. There is an expectation that I feel a hole in a group as needed when I just want to play D.Va or Bastion no matter what. At least I kind of like how Mercy plays so I can do support. Still, if I'm in a D.Va mode I am going to roll D.Va.

Nothing wrong with that at all, doing you is more important than appeasing randoms.

TheGrue

When you visit the doctor and they ask you your pain level, do you say "scores are stupid"?

What if you told the doctor 6/10 and then a crowd of people showed up to tell you why you're in someone else's pocket, threatened to kill you, and constantly hounded you about why they think your pain should actually be an 4/10 and you aren't smart enough to rate things yourself? You might decide it's not worth it.

As someone who just had surgery this week, yes, I said that to their face.

Well, no, in that case a score is not stupid. As it's an immediate response to help understand/remedy an ailment.

But then again, I don't think there is a reason to write a 1000 word explanation as to why I would consider my pain an 8/10 either. A description of the pain would be appropriate, but that wouldn't be done as a justification of the score of said pain.

Top Bottom