• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard announces new Overwatch Esports League

Draugoth

Gold Member

The New Overwatch Esports Ecosystem​

Overwatch is a competitive game at its core. It's fast, dynamic, and at its best when two closely matched teams are battling it out for victory.
Our goal as a development team is to ensure that all of our players have the opportunity to experience the thrill of competition - From the highs and lows of organized group play to the excitement of watching the world's best players competing at live events. Esports competitions are vital to any thriving competitive game, and Overwatch 2 is no different. Today, we’re excited to talk about what is next for Overwatch Esports.
Our philosophy moving into our next chapter of Overwatch Esports is simple: offer and cultivate an esports ecosystem that is more open - with anyone able to participate - always-on, regionally focused, providing experiences for participants and fans alike. Overwatch 2 is a game for everyone, and we want to ensure that anyone who has the skills is able to showcase them.

Is there any player still playing OW2? I totally lost interest when they switched, felt betrayed.
I am.

tenor.gif

TransTrender

Gold Member
I guess I missed the news where the OWL was officially disbanded:
From November 9th and it's assumed the League was dissolved after the PR announcement from one team. Makes sense if it actually happened. Also some quotes from OWL adjacents talking about this very revamp.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I know several friends that still play it, including fathers and sons. I think it still had some appeal with its huge roster of distinct heroes, even though it lost its hype.

Griffon

They didn't need to do this.

They think making a cheap community league will cushion the negative impact of deleting OWL, but in reality nobody ever cared and we already forgot that OWL was even a thing.

Last edited:

kubricks

WHY?
And do the team even know what the problem is in OW2?

Hint: The double shield meta was NOT a tank problem, it's a support problem because you introduce AOE healing which massively increase tank's sustain.
Instead of addressing the healing issue (Brig and Moria), you double down and remove a tank. Now tank is a true RPS there is no hope of balancing it.

Let's not even mention all the goodwill you destroy when you cut the PvE.

Just take the L and make a new game or whatever.

Mercador

Play it almost everyday.

Good, at least there are some players.

I played dozens hours of OW, I really liked it, purchased it on two platforms. And out of nowhere, they just changed it for OW2. Blizzard was one, if not the most appreciated game developper out there 20-25 years ago. Now I disdain them. Diablo IV just added to the pile. I guess it's the Activision effect... And yes I have a phone.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Is there any player still playing OW2? I totally lost interest when they switched, felt betrayed.
Same here. My daughter and I bought the game on release day as an impulse buy. It ended up being some of the most fun times we spent together. We paid full retail price for the game and they just… shut it down. They shut it down not because they couldn’t maintain it, not because they couldn’t afford it, but because they knew that OW2 would be DOA if they didn’t force everyone to migrate.

I had bought and played Blizzard games since Warcraft Orc vs Humans (and probably some SNES games prior to that). After this Overwatch mess, I refuse to buy any of their games. They cannot be trusted.

Also, it was an insult that Blizzard required console players to pay $20 extra for nothing more than bonus items in Blizzard PC games.

Last edited:

Ornoku

It's like this company wants to throw away more money. No one wants this. Put this money into bringing back hots.

Last edited:

Mercador

Same here. My daughter and I bought the game on release day as an impulse buy. It ended up being some of the most fun times we spent together. We paid full retail price for the game and they just… shut it down. They shut it down not because they couldn’t maintain it, not because they couldn’t afford it, but because they knew that OW2 would be DOA if they didn’t force everyone to migrate.

Also, it was an insult that Blizzard required console players to pay $20 extra for nothing more than bonus items in Blizzard PC games.
At least I'm not the only one OW player with a daughter that played it :D It was great.

Paltheos

I watched the whole video. There are... allot of graphics, and it was not made any easier to understand by the presenters being in super-PR mode (Soe was the best of the three, but speaking to the internet is her job). The new format splits the world into three, different regions, and Blizzard has qualifiers for international majors with rules that differ between regions. The presenters did absolutely nothing to explain why the rules would be different, but the thought running through my head the whole video is that the format for Korea must be more complicated because Blizzard probably anticipates needing to grind through more players but one of the subformats for the subregion is a roundrobin so I have no idea wtf they're planning.

It's like this company wants to throw away more money. No one wants this. Put this money into bringing back hots.

Ironically that's one of the details missing from the video lol.
Nobody had a peep to say about prize money. They didn't even acknowledge the idea.
I haven't been following the scene for a long time, not really after OW1 was axed, but my armchair position like everyone else is, "Why would anyone come back after the old league was killed?"

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Hmmm iwonder if the AVB sale to Microsoft made them re-engage? Seems odd since last they said it was shutting down. And they released OW2

Top Bottom