• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 surpasses player peaks of Tekken 7 and Mortal Kombat 1

Draugoth

Gold Member
tekken-8-1-900x503.jpeg

The game has already reached almost 50,000 simultaneous players and is among Steam's best sellers

GEv8XYNXYAA6bZQ
GEv8XJ0XYAEd01W

The hype is real.! The game's data on Steam proves that the fighting title really was one of the most anticipated games not only of 2024, but of a long time. In its first few hours online, the game already reached almost 50,000 simultaneous players - beating competitor Mortal Kombat 1 and its predecessor, Tekken 7.

With 49,977 people online, it surpassed the peaks of 38,129 for NetherRealm and 18,966 for the previous game in the franchise. That's quite a significant mark, and one that still has a lot of potential to increase. After all, Tekken 8 is being very well received by the international media and by the players themselves so far - even with certain problems.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Good. A lot of loved was poured into this. MK1 was a cash grab. I’ll never buy a MK game again unless NR departs ways with WB somehow to keep the IP.

Hyped to play tekken tomorrow when I get back from my week long work trip.

RickMasters

Not suprised. It’s the superior fighting game for superior fighting game players.

On a side note ……What? Who wants to get slapped up in tekken? Who want the smoke. I’ll give it to you if you come looking in them online lobbies. Somebody set up a GAF tournament. All this fighting game talk got me in the mood to whoop some ass.

//DEVIL//

50k ? I did my part and buy it day one and only 50k ?

Also. Beating mortal kombat 1 is not an accomplishment. God that game is trash and I regret spending 30$ Canadian on it .worst single player campaign performance ever. At the end of the campaign it was so unfinished you feel it almost was developed by 2 idiots that have nothing to do with gaming development .

What a sad execution from a well known devs. And that was running on 4090

Arsic

50k ? I did my part and buy it day one and only 50k ?

Also. Beating mortal kombat 1 is not an accomplishment. God that game is trash and I regret spending 30$ Canadian on it .worst single player campaign performance ever. At the end of the campaign it was so unfinished you feel it almost was developed by 2 idiots that have nothing to do with gaming development .

What a sad execution from a well known devs. And that was running on 4090
Beating MK is impressive. All reviews and hands on prior to release praised the game as amazing.

People bought it without issues. It was only about a week later that everyone was aware of what it really was.

Celcius

°Temp. member
T8 looks amazing and feels amazing to play.
Last gen I put way more time into SF but this gen I'm really feeling Tekken.

MiguelItUp

Glad MK1 is falling off, and glad Tekken 8 is doing better. MK1 was fun for about a week for me personally, but after that I just started noticing more and more that I didn't like. Add the ridiculous monetization and that lame Invasion mode, and it just wasn't fun anymore. Also it still doesn't have crossplay, lol.

Arsic

Glad MK1 is falling off, and glad Tekken 8 is doing better. MK1 was fun for about a week for me personally, but after that I just started noticing more and more that I didn't like. Add the ridiculous monetization and that lame Invasion mode, and it just wasn't fun anymore. Also it still doesn't have crossplay, lol.
MK1 was such a big miss I don’t plan to buy one ever again. There’s only two games in 2023 I regretted buying and MK1 was one of them.

Truly a giga turd… but man does it have some of the best graphics in the industry.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
give it a few more months and then we judge.

Last edited:

Arsic

give it a few more months and then we judge.
Why months? Within a week people knew how bad MK1 was, and how great SF6 was.

Ultimately for the pro scene, which is disconnected from 85% of the actual user base, they will HAVE to take this game because otherwise they all go back to T7 which is now so old it’s become boring to the pro scene and viewership.

Any bumps they can iron out with patches and balance changes. The core mechanics can have slight tweaks if needed.

The game as is though is a slam dunk for casuals who will be gone by end of February to other games, and will come back time to time.

Likely will be the best selling, most played, and overall successful Tekken yet. Might even be the best fighter of 2024 without issues.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm away from home and haven't been able to play the full game yet. Glad to see it doing so well.

ClosBSAS

mk1 is trash, if it werent for mk1 fighting games would be loved more today. it brings down the scene, terrible game. sf6 and tekke 8 are great games.

meanwhile, 'Party Animals' which is also classed as a 3D fighter more than doubles it :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Which is why only Steam-only numbers are never a good enough barometer for player count.

According to Steam data, games like the 2k sports and EA's sport offerings all have low player counts when we all know this isn't true.

MiguelItUp

MK1 was such a big miss I don’t plan to buy one ever again. There’s only two games in 2023 I regretted buying and MK1 was one of them.

Truly a giga turd… but man does it have some of the best graphics in the industry.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat and it sucks growing up with and loving MK but then seeing the direction it went in. I'm totally right there with you. After MK9 (which I adored) the series just continued to lose me more and more.

Top Bottom