• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

eXMomoj

So since both the Xbox One and PS4 had a minor revision (mostly cosmetic and 1TB models); do we think that the rumored "4K capable/HDMI 2.0" systems won't come this fall as the February rumor indicated?

Max_Po

Banned
So since both the Xbox One and PS4 had a minor revision (mostly cosmetic and 1TB models); do we think that the rumored "4K capable/HDMI 2.0" systems won't come this fall as the February rumor indicated?

The only thing ps4 and xb1 are capable of playing in 4k is videos/bluray and even that aint hitting retail or going mainstream anytime soon.

The xbx1 had cosmetic changes pretty early. It you want cheapness look in the back of the console. On my launch unit the symbole or outlet/input are engraved and on the revision they are stamped/painted..... lol

ramyeon

I wasn't implying anything, I'm sure it's a case to case scenario just like the black model.

I got a Batman grey PS4 for my girlfriend and the thing is whisper quiet (I'm aware it's not a 1200), so I prefer to go for a newer model instead of switching for an old one and hope for the best.
Yeah I figured you didn't mean to say that, but the way you said it definitely read that way.

For the record I have a white model and it's not loud at all. I can hear it a bit when I start it up and first open a game, but after that I can't hear anything from it at all.

kriskrosbbk

Man.... this system can't come soon enough

Just started FF14 for the first time and holy fucking shit does it make the system scream :(

My system is 18months old and it started to scream on any given game.I got it back to the shop I bought it and they sprayed with a compressor.So silent now.

Wrong and double wrong.

Yoshida says otherwise though

The PS4 supports 4K output, but only for photos and videos — not games," Yoshida said. "PS4 games do not work on 4K." While it's possible that we may see tech demos that demonstrate the system's capacity for 4K gaming, like Polyphony Digital's multi-display demos powered by several PS3s paired together, Yoshida says a single console cannot natively run games in the high-resolution format.

Shin-Ra

At the beginning of 2013 I'm sure Shu was focused on what consumers should expect at launch and I'm not seeing the direct quote stating a single console cannot natively run games at 2160p.

max-pain

http://pocketnews.cocolog-nifty.com/pkns/2015/06/ps4-1469.html

20150627_01.png

http://pocketnews.cocolog-nifty.com/pkns/2015/06/ps4-3235.html

CUH-1000
20150627_02.png

CUH-1100
20150627_03.png

CUH-1200
20150627_04.png

20150627_05.png

http://pocketnews.cocolog-nifty.com/pkns/2015/06/ps4-4c94.html

CUH-1000
20150627_06.jpg

20150627_07.jpg

CUH-1100
20150627_08.jpg

20150627_09.jpg

CUH-1200
20150627_10.jpg

20150627_11.jpg

knerl

Well isn't 52 db loud?
Somewhere I read that the Xbox 360 was 36 db ... Or I'm just stupid

Maybe one of the Slims. The original blows past 50 too.
So yeah. 52dB is loud. Disappointing as hell. Make the PSU external Sony! Put that extra space too good use cooling wise. Would keep it quiet under full load.

They needed to go with a 1TB HDD, say something about improved controllers with triggers that dont stick & sticks that dont disintegrate...& do something like add a couple USB ports on the back. Do that & suddenly this revision is interesting to people who already own a PS4. As is...yawn. A price drop wouldn't hurt either. But I suspect that's incoming for the holidays regardless.

big_z

So yeah. 52dB is loud. Disappointing as hell. Make the PSU external Sony! Put that extra space too good use cooling wise. Would keep it quiet under full load.

removing the psu wont make much difference to the noise profile. blower fans are always loud and tend to suffer from bearing noise. the system needs to be redesigned but it wont happen for a while.

ideally sony will remove the psu and get rid of the angles which would reduce the system footprint. then they could increase the thickness a bit and use a cooling method similar to the xbox one to achieve the long desired silence many want.

spwolf

important part is that it is considerably quieter than before... mine is already quiet and barely ever goes into full mode (only in one menu of free game).... so its encouraging that new model is even quieter and spends considerably less energy in all modes... didnt expect that.

Shin-Ra

Not that I have any reason to use the USB-charging standby feature, but I wonder if that works with the fan off now.

th4tguy

My friend brought over his PS4 last holiday when he came to visit, so I have experienced his system and mine in the same room under the same conditions playing the same game. The noise difference between the two was absolutely astounding. Mine is incredibly loud from across the room while his could barely be heard with my head right next to the system listening intently for noise. The systems had been on for roughly the same amount of time while playing multiplayer together. The difference isn't a perception issue at all, there is simply a dramatic noise difference from system to system.

If this new model turns out to be consistently quieter I am going to take mine into GameStop and exchange it once the new models are in abundance. Luckily I swapped my old system out for a new one during that insane trade in deal earlier this year, so I still have nearly two years of replacement coverage left.

Was his system in the same location? Is yours inside a entertainment center? I don't doubt the difference you heard but most of these cases I've seen can be explained by the location of the system. I had my system on top of a center earlier last year and it ran whisper quiet all the time. I then got a new entertainment center and while it's still has plenty of open space to breath, it's much louder and gets hotter because it's pulling some of the hot exhaust back into the cooling parts of the vents. It's annoying. Also, were both of you playing digital or physical? Physical disks running in the system cause it to be much louder.

crinale

The first blocks look all mixed up.
How are you supposed to read them?

What does the ordinate represent?
Again, how are you supposed to read this graph?

First two are conditions listed:

Condition 1:
Stand-by power consumption with USB power supply disabled, network enabled and application is not in suspend mode (no application running before stand-by)

Condition 2:
Stand-by power consumption with USB power supply disabled, network enabled and application is in suspend mode

The line graph is occasions vs noise level during 15-min run through test. For example CUH-1000 was at 57db most of the time, while CUH-1200 was at 53db.

eXMomoj

So it looks like the new revision is slightly quieter and uses slightly less power, but at the same time doesn't seem to have an as effective cooling system anymore.

I'll wait for a dye shrink and potentially HDMI 2.0 before swapping out consoles.

Cheaper components does necessarily not mean bad components.

It's likely, for instance, that they reduced the number of RAM chips by half simply by using newer chips with double the density. That would also partly explain the reduced power consumption.
I'd consider that reducing components (with more expensive ones). Not using cheaper components.

Planet

dB is a logarithmic scale, 6dB difference equals half (double) the noise. But as he said, the pitch is important, too.

knerl

removing the psu wont make much difference to the noise profile. blower fans are always loud and tend to suffer from bearing noise. the system needs to be redesigned but it wont happen for a while.

ideally sony will remove the psu and get rid of the angles which would reduce the system footprint. then they could increase the thickness a bit and use a cooling method similar to the xbox one to achieve the long desired silence many want.

That was self explanatory I thought. That they'd use the extra space for more fans.
Although just removing the internal PSU would lower the fan noise since the PSU is the last step the hot air goes through before being pushed out from the chassi.

knerl

The first blocks look all mixed up.
How are you supposed to read them?

What does the ordinate represent?
Again, how are you supposed to read this graph?

Not really.
soundlevel.jpg

No no no. 50dB is more like an office or classroom filled with chatter. That chart is not a good representation of noise levels.

weevles

So the new PS4 model gets more hot? isnt that something bad?

If you're referring to the thermal imaging, it's just showing where the heat dissipates. It's not necessarily bad because heat is a given with any powered device.

eMpTy23

No no no. 50dB is more like an office or classroom filled with chatter. That chart is not a good representation of noise levels.

That chart is accurate... Go test something yourself if you disagree and post the results because from my personal testing and other things I have read, it is accurate.

le-seb

So would a 4-5 dB difference mean that big a difference in noise?
It all depends on the noise level you start with, but you're almost making 4 times more noise.

dB is a logarithmic scale, 6dB difference equals half (double) the noise. But as he said, the pitch is important, too.
A 3 dB difference doubles or halves the perceived noise, not 6 dB.

That chart is accurate... Go test something yourself if you disagree and post the results because from my personal testing and other things I have read, it is accurate.
Yup. Here's another one from another source:
Decibel-scale.jpg

Chronos24

It all depends on the noise level you start with, but you're almost making 4 times more noise.

A 3 dB difference doubles or halves the perceived noise, not 6 dB.

Yup. Here's another one from another source:
Decibel-scale.jpg

So then by this you are saying the 1200 makes significantly less noise than its predecessors, therefore if someone were wanting to exchange for this model it would be worth it?

le-seb

So then by this you are saying the 1200 makes significantly less noise than its predecessors, therefore if someone were wanting to exchange for this model it would be worth it?
If these SPL values are actually representative, it's indeed making significantly less noise, yes.
That being said, I don't consider the noise level of my launch unit to be anything to worry about, especially not when I'm playing Driveclub with my T500RS wheel, which is quickly noisier than the console (and also obviously nearer to my ears), so I wouldn't feel the need to replace it based on this single fact.
YMMV, though.

Your chart is off by ~10dB. 50dB does not equal a "quiet conversation."
Your definition of a "quiet conversation" is not the same as theirs, maybe?
Here, they're talking about a conversation at home.

knerl

I have. So have plenty of various computer hardware review sites. Your chart is off by ~10dB. 50dB does not equal a "quiet conversation."

crinale

While noise level may vary between same console versions especially how thermal paste is done may differ, it is safe to say CUH1200 does make less noise indeed. It's not like one guy has reported newer model is significantly quieter.
Though it's worth noting that guy did the analysis noticed newer model goes to higher fan speed mode rather quicker than first model.

Korezo

Cheaper components does necessarily not mean bad components.

It's likely, for instance, that they reduced the number of RAM chips by half simply by using newer chips with double the density. That would also partly explain the reduced power consumption.

Well with the ps3 each revision did indeed become cheaper than the version revised. Parts outside were cheaper/worst don't know internally. Microsoft revisions felt like upgrades with 360, they always added not removed.

That is DRAMATICALLY different from the data shown at a Sony presentation regarding the PS4's cooling system:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/sony-engineer-unveils-functional-beauty-ps4s-cooling-system/69852.html

PS4-lecture-28.jpg

The fan noise is the thing I hate the most about the PS4, and the reason I have found myself buying the Xbox One version of most multiplatform games... (that and the controller battery life)

EDIT: However I must add that the SmartTool app probably does not give the most accurate noise measurement you can get...

EDIT 2: I like how the CUH1100 model is the noisiest and warmest. Thanks for that revision, Sony, much appreciated ¬_¬

Yoday

Was his system in the same location? Is yours inside a entertainment center? I don't doubt the difference you heard but most of these cases I've seen can be explained by the location of the system. I had my system on top of a center earlier last year and it ran whisper quiet all the time. I then got a new entertainment center and while it's still has plenty of open space to breath, it's much louder and gets hotter because it's pulling some of the hot exhaust back into the cooling parts of the vents. It's annoying. Also, were both of you playing digital or physical? Physical disks running in the system cause it to be much louder.
My system was on an open shelf with plenty of room to breathe on all sides, and his was on a table with plenty of room as well. There is no environmentally factor that could have contributed. If anything his was closer to a warm TV than mine was. Both were playing digital games. Even if that weren't the case the disc only spins for the first few seconds when you start a game once it has been fully installed. Regardless you can't hear a disc spinning in my PS4 once the fan kicks up, as the fan is orders of magnitude louder.

Top Bottom