• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG247] PlayStation 4 dominates Europe with ’70-90%’ of console market

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

PlayStation 4 is currently enjoying nothing less than 70% market-share in any European nation, SCEE president Jim Ryan has told VG247.

VG247: How does the success you’re seeing in the UK translate to the rest of Europe? Do you see similar successes across the region?

Ryan: We have a very significant market leadership. Well, we have market leadership in every country in Europe, and have very significant market leadership in continental Europe. Extremely significant. I don’t think market share’s any less than 70%, and frequently greater than 90% in continental Europe.

VG247: OK.

Ryan: It’s quite different in the UK and the US.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/30/interview-ps4s-jim-ryan-on-sonys-e3-and-winning-in-europe/

Well MS needs to work harder according to this.

eFKac

Nice, good work Sony.

I'm still waiting for my friends to upgrade, it's annoying everyone wants to borrow it now for Witcher 3...

kadotsu

Banned
The higher percentage is for continental Europe. 70% for UK does not seem unreasonable considering the latest software splits.

Even on par sales in the UK would be a huge loss for MS because the UK was the only other success story for MS besides the US market domination in the 360 days.

Damn, Microsoft ain't even on life support in Europe if this percentage split is true, considering there's Nintendo as well.

He states they're leading in every country in Europe as well, I still wonder what the lead is in the UK.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Europe was always Sony's, but I guess the delayed Xbone launch and higher price point really hurt MS, huh?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, such percentages make me think it's just PS4-One being considered, not Wii U.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So where does this put Xbone globally by the end of the generation, somewhere close to the OG Xbox?

Genio88

Europe has always been a Sony's country, i live in Italy and i can see that with my own eyes, even if i've got Xbox One, Microsoft will be present in next month Gamescom with Quantum Break and Scalebound, they're trying to do somenthing over here but it's clear that the US market is their main focus with deals and bundles that haven't arrived in Europe yet

SerTapTap

too bad microsoft fucked up that hard
"hey lol netflix and sports yay yay" ok guys

They turned things around somewhat decently in the US, seems much of europe either doesn't know or doesn't care so far though. They won't dare talk about TV or Kinect ever again.

Hm. Given that the last figures we had for France were something like:

1,000,000+ PS4
500,000 Wii U
400,000 X1

...unless there's been massive growth for PS4 (it would need to have sold, what... another 1.5 million+ while Wii U/X1 stood still to reach 70% share?) then there may be a little bending of the facts here.

It's pretty clear Sony have swept to the lead across Europe though - just not perhaps quite as comprehensively in every territory as Ryan is claiming.

EDIT:

Actually, if you assume he's only referring to PS4/X1, they could reach 70% share in France with another 500k or so, even if X1 climbed to 500k total. I'd guess that's what's going on with these figures.

BrunoM

"continental Europe"

so not UK
Does he not mean continent of Europe as in European continent ?

Ain't the UK part of it
and I guess if you're just saying that Sony market share in the UK is less than 60~70% from what we know it's above 2:1 so his wording may be right and not far off

In any case lol

score01

They turned things around somewhat decently in the US, seems much of europe either doesn't know or doesn't care so far though. They won't dare talk about TV or Kinect ever again.

Or doesn't get the same deals as the U.S.? I'm sure that's a fairly large factor as well - although it always was an uphill battle!

Moonstone

Hm. Given that the last figure we had for France were something like:

1,000,000+ PS4
500,000 Wii U
400,000 X1

...unless there's been massive growth for PS4 (it would need to have sold, what... another 1.5 million+ while Wii U/X1 stood still to reach 70% share?) then there may be a little bending of the facts here.

It's pretty clear Sony have swept to the lead across Europe though - just not perhaps quite as comprehensively in every territory as Ryan is claiming.

Probably YTD and not LTD.

ps3ud0

The only place Microsoft is actually doing well is the USA, UK.... and 1% of China.
'well' is relative if you look at the swing in market share compared to last gen. MS has lost market share everywhere apart from new markets

ps3ud0 8)

So where does this put Xbone globally by the end of the generation, somewhere close to the OG Xbox?

Market share wont be THAT low when all is said it done but it will certainly be a farcry from the 360.
With the exception of the previous generation, at the end of the day it's business as usual since sony entered the industry.

Microsoft firmly cemented the Xbox One as an US targeted console in most of my friends' eyes, now we all own PS4s and there's really no reason to buy a One anymore.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hm. Given that the last figure we had for France were something like:

1,000,000+ PS4
500,000 Wii U
400,000 X1

Unless it's just considering Xbox One, and not Wii U.

Genio88

I am more than happy with my PS4 this gen just as i was happy with my 360 last gen, I'll go to where the console is more games oriented.

That was more than one year ago before Phil Spencer took the wheel, i mean now Xbox One looks at least as gaming oriented as PS4, it even has a better line up for this fall than PS4.

Axass

Honestly, it's like they didn't even try in Europe, especially with the tier 2 crap and the emphasis on US TV/media deals. Microsoft has always been too focused on North America and you know what they say: you don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Europe was always Sony's, but I guess the delayed Xbone launch and higher price point really hurt MS, huh?

Yeah but you could add many more reasons

Weaker hardware
American focus (NFL deal, limited Kinect usability)
Launched with Kinect
E3 self-destruct
Xbox has never been the leader in Europe outside UK

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not surprised. Even here in Sweden, where the PS3 and 360 were pretty much neck to neck last gen (unlike in most of Europe), the PS4 is absolutely dominating. MS fucked up so bad with the initial focus on American TV and sports (they really gave the impression that they don't give a single fuck about Europe), the delayed release in most EU countries (not that you couldn't get one anyway if you wanted to), etc. They haven't stood the faintest chance here at any stage of the XBO's existence.

The higher percentage is for continental Europe. 70% for UK does not seem unreasonable considering the latest software splits.

It's all contInental, made clear in the full interview because that's what the question was about, and after that he says it's very different in UK and US.

pswii60

Does he not mean continent of Europe as in European continent ?

Ain't the UK part of it
and I guess if you're just saying that Sony market share in the UK is less than 60~70% from what we know it's above 2:1 so his wording may be right and not far off

In any case lol

When a Brit says 'continental Europe' they mean Europe excluding UK & Ireland.

That was more than one year ago before Phil Spencer took the wheel, i mean now Xbox One looks at least as gaming oriented as PS4, it even has a better line up for this fall than PS4.
But hasnt that been sacrificed for their lineup throughout the year? I mean if you want to cherry pick a 3 month period then im sure you could argue any company has a better line up than others.

Havik

Always wondering why Microsoft isnt as aggresive with its pricing/deals as in the USA and UK in mainland europe.

Could explain why MS takes Gamescom serious this year. They need some goodwill back

I don't think they can salvage anything at this point. Even at the infamous first "TV TV TV" unveiling of the console it was crystal clear that the Xbox One was a US-centric console.

killatopak

Good job Sony.

If this leads to PS2 era games that aren't AAA and aren't indie being made, I'd be down for a single console dominance.

Even the 360 (Which should have dominated the gen compared to PS3) couldn't break Sony's hold in Europe, what makes people think the X1 has a chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom