• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Departing PlayStation Chief Jim Ryan Reveals the Biggest Challenges of His 30-Year Career

Topher

Gold Member
After three decades at PlayStation, Jim Ryan, who’s stepping down next month as Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO, has seen the industry he loves undergo dramatic shifts. Amid the upheaval, Ryan says he wouldn’t change a moment of it.

“I’m just so grateful that I didn’t work in a boring industry,” he says. Ryan believes the pandemic-era launch of the PlayStation 5 was the greatest challenge — yet the most rewarding achievement — of his 30-year tenure at Sony. “It was my job to exude a sense of calm and serenity,” he says, then adds, “Actually, I was there at my dining-room table, head in my hands, wondering how we were going to do this.”

A mountain of obstacles stood in Sony’s way. “We assemble the great majority of the PlayStations in China, and nobody could get in. Finishing games when developers couldn’t get together and eat pizza and brainstorm about their craft was another thing,” he says. “And then, the not-unimportant task of selling our product to our consumers when retail was entirely closed.”

In the three years since the PS5 launch, Sony has sold more than 50 million units. “I’m so proud of what the team achieved back in 2020,” Ryan says.

Ryan announced his decision to step down last September. In the months since, layoffs have swept across the gaming industry, with cuts made at Microsoft Gaming, Riot Games and Epic Games. “It obviously is a difficult time for many,” Ryan says, offering PlayStation staffers encouragement to stay the course. “I would just say that nobody can ever be complacent, and nobody can ever feel that anything’s forever.”

After Ryan departs, Hiroki Totoki, Sony’s president and chief operating officer, will step in as interim CEO of SIE effective April 1. Ryan says he has full confidence in Totoki’s leadership and won’t second-guess Totoki and Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida’s choice as his ultimate successor. He shares one piece of advice for the new PlayStation boss, which he contends must remain the “cornerstone” for SIE: “Never forget that we’re an entertainment business. … If we continue to entertain, delight and surprise our community of gamers, I think Totoki-san and whoever follows him will be just fine.”

On the eve of his exit, Ryan says he won’t miss the chronic jet- lag amid years of regular flights between Sony headquarters in Tokyo, his home in London and PlayStation ops in San Mateo, Calif.

But he’s got a new quest in mind, which he’ll only tease for now. “I still have huge resources of energy and passion that I’m looking forward to deploying in some slightly different ways,” Ryan says. “I’ve got a few things bubbling. I can’t say what they are — but I am going to take my life in a little different direction.

Below, Ryan breaks down his top titles from each generation of PlayStation.

PS1: ‘Ridge Racer,’ 1994

“I and most people were like, ‘Wow, this is really different and a really fun and enjoyable game to play.’ It set the standard for much of what was to follow in that generation.”

PS2: ‘Grand Theft Auto 3,’ 2001

“That was just such a transformative title for that generation and as a cultural moment. It’s had a huge and lasting impact on the gaming industry and certainly on PlayStation.”

PS3: ‘Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune,’ 2007

“Technology at this point was starting to enable storytelling and narrative and emotion in a different way from anything that had been possible hitherto. I’m very proud that that came from our own studio, Naughty Dog.”

PS4: ‘Marvel’s Spider-Man,’ 2018

“That game was so amazing, and seemed to resonate so well with the PlayStation community. It set us up for takeoff in the second half of what was a really successful cycle.”

PS5: ‘God of War Ragnarök,’ 2022

“It’s obviously a wonderful game, and was wonderfully critiqued. But it coincided with the time that we were finally able to start building enough PlayStation 5s. Things snowballed in a beautiful way.”

Would not be a proper send off without.....

82f3e38c38d1401d828e7afb5c1cb29dc12131fa.gif

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
After three decades at PlayStation, Jim Ryan, who’s stepping down next month as Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO, has seen the industry he loves undergo dramatic shifts. Amid the upheaval, Ryan says he wouldn’t change a moment of it.

“I’m just so grateful that I didn’t work in a boring industry,” he says. Ryan believes the pandemic-era launch of the PlayStation 5 was the greatest challenge — yet the most rewarding achievement — of his 30-year tenure at Sony. “It was my job to exude a sense of calm and serenity,” he says, then adds, “Actually, I was there at my dining-room table, head in my hands, wondering how we were going to do this.”

A mountain of obstacles stood in Sony’s way. “We assemble the great majority of the PlayStations in China, and nobody could get in. Finishing games when developers couldn’t get together and eat pizza and brainstorm about their craft was another thing,” he says. “And then, the not-unimportant task of selling our product to our consumers when retail was entirely closed.”

In the three years since the PS5 launch, Sony has sold more than 50 million units. “I’m so proud of what the team achieved back in 2020,” Ryan says.

Ryan announced his decision to step down last September. In the months since, layoffs have swept across the gaming industry, with cuts made at Microsoft Gaming, Riot Games and Epic Games. “It obviously is a difficult time for many,” Ryan says, offering PlayStation staffers encouragement to stay the course. “I would just say that nobody can ever be complacent, and nobody can ever feel that anything’s forever.”

After Ryan departs, Hiroki Totoki, Sony’s president and chief operating officer, will step in as interim CEO of SIE effective April 1. Ryan says he has full confidence in Totoki’s leadership and won’t second-guess Totoki and Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida’s choice as his ultimate successor. He shares one piece of advice for the new PlayStation boss, which he contends must remain the “cornerstone” for SIE: “Never forget that we’re an entertainment business. … If we continue to entertain, delight and surprise our community of gamers, I think Totoki-san and whoever follows him will be just fine.”

On the eve of his exit, Ryan says he won’t miss the chronic jet- lag amid years of regular flights between Sony headquarters in Tokyo, his home in London and PlayStation ops in San Mateo, Calif.

But he’s got a new quest in mind, which he’ll only tease for now. “I still have huge resources of energy and passion that I’m looking forward to deploying in some slightly different ways,” Ryan says. “I’ve got a few things bubbling. I can’t say what they are — but I am going to take my life in a little different direction.

Below, Ryan breaks down his top titles from each generation of PlayStation.

PS1: ‘Ridge Racer,’ 1994

“I and most people were like, ‘Wow, this is really different and a really fun and enjoyable game to play.’ It set the standard for much of what was to follow in that generation.”

PS2: ‘Grand Theft Auto 3,’ 2001

“That was just such a transformative title for that generation and as a cultural moment. It’s had a huge and lasting impact on the gaming industry and certainly on PlayStation.”

PS3: ‘Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune,’ 2007

“Technology at this point was starting to enable storytelling and narrative and emotion in a different way from anything that had been possible hitherto. I’m very proud that that came from our own studio, Naughty Dog.”

PS4: ‘Marvel’s Spider-Man,’ 2018

“That game was so amazing, and seemed to resonate so well with the PlayStation community. It set us up for takeoff in the second half of what was a really successful cycle.”

PS5: ‘God of War Ragnarök,’ 2022

“It’s obviously a wonderful game, and was wonderfully critiqued. But it coincided with the time that we were finally able to start building enough PlayStation 5s. Things snowballed in a beautiful way.”

Would not be a proper send off without.....

82f3e38c38d1401d828e7afb5c1cb29dc12131fa.gif
Fuck this old man.

RagnarokIV

Understanding the desire and need for backwards compatibility is another challenge he had.

Edit:
P.S cunt.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
So, the Jim Ryan era should be from Everybody's Golf VR to Stellar Blade (if it goes gold before April, otherwise it will be Rise of the Ronin).
Best games from this period (to me) are Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and Demon's Souls 2020.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can't deny he has had a part in their success.

I would love to see a video of him doing the infamour camera zoom.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Jim Ryan is the least likeable PS-boss for me, but I can't deny that he's been great for the PS brand, especially what he did for the European market. He's a great businessman and Sony owe him a lot for expanding and strengthening Playstation, becoming the behemoth it has.

Just remembered his awful take on backwards compatibility on the PlayStation, that basically boiled down to "old game look ewww, new AAAAAAAAAA game look pretty"

Cool guy.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I would literally engage in bare chested mortal combat with anyone who disrespects The King whilst in my vacinity. I would prefer if you were an attractive woman but it would not be required.

Just remembered his awful take on backwards compatibility on the PlayStation, that basically boiled down to "old game look ewww, new AAAAAAAAAA game look pretty"

Cool guy.
Nah, it was an old Gran Turismo game which did look and play like dog **** at the time he said it. Jim Big Daddy Ryan was willing to speak the truth and people attempted to crucify him for it. You people deserve the lies and graphic t shirts from Phil Spencer. You want to be lied to don't you?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I would literally engage in bare chested mortal combat with anyone who disrespects The King whilst in my vacinity. I would prefer if you were an attractive woman but it would not be required.

Nah, it was an old Gran Turismo game which did look and play like dog **** at the time he said it. Jim Big Daddy Ryan was willing to speak the truth and people attempted to crucify him for it. You people deserve the lies and graphic t shirts from Phil Spencer. You want to be lied to don't you?
Yeah, not going to lie, I can't go back to all that texture warping/crawling. There is nothing "nostalgic" about that eyesore. It looks like hot trash in current year.

What's next, we going to champion tank controls?

Last edited:
Yeah, not going to lie, I can't go back to all that texture warping/crawling. There is nothing "nostalgic" about that eyesore. It looks like hot trash in current year.

What's next, we going to champion tank controls?
So a game looses 100% of its value, because... "Not look shiny"?

Reminder that texture warping/crawling wasn't an issue in literally every game made before the PS4...

God Hand is not worth playing today?
Resident Evil 3?
Bayonetta 1?

Is a game completely valueless due to dated aspects, or not looking shiny?

This isn't a nostalgic argument, for me.
I despise nostalgia, and the games I mentioned I only played recently. I have no nostalgia towards them.

This mentality seems really vapid, to be honest.

If YOU can't play them due to them being dated in some ways, or looking bad by today's standards, that's fine.
But to scoff at the idea that people should have access to these games, because "not shiny", is again, quite vapid.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So a game looses 100% of its value, because... "Not look shiny"?

Reminder that texture warping/crawling wasn't an issue in literally every game made before the PS4...

God Hand is not worth playing today?
Resident Evil 3?
Bayonetta 1?

Is a game completely valueless due to dated aspects, or not looking shiny?

This isn't a nostalgic argument, for me.
I despise nostalgia, and the games I mentioned I only played recently. I have no nostalgia towards them.

This mentality seems really vapid, to be honest.

If YOU can't play them due to them being dated in some ways, or looking bad by today's standards, that's fine.
But to scoff at the idea that no one should have access to these games, because "not shiny", is again, quite vapid.
I have almost every PS1 game on my PS3 from the store, and I can play every disc version on them. I never play them. And if I really wanted to get the urge, I will just emulate with all the added features emulators provide to modernize them some.

Now would I be against them adding them more and more for the PS5, no. But they are so niche and minute compared to what 99% of gamers play in current year. What Jim Ryan said about GT1 when it was sitting next to GT5 or GT Sport, I believe is accurate. "Who would want to play this over the new hotness." (paraphrased)

GT7's racing gameplay model alone is the best the series has ever been. Even got hardcore PC sim racers to say great things about it.

Last edited:

FrankWza

He was also misquoted on the "we believe in generations" comments. Or taken out of context at least. He still is to this day.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Mehhh..

I I don't forgive him for what he did in this time of Japan studio
Be mad at gamers for not buying niche titles.

Look, I loved ICO, SotC, and development hell TLG, some of my most beloved games that signify gaming is art, but they also did this to themselves.

A lot of them ended up with Team Asobi. But, they may be an Astro factory for now.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

He got some criticism at times however in my opinion he’s the type Xbox needed, not Phil Spencer and his gang of shitbags
Really? The guy has wasted a shitload of money on bungie and 12 GAAS games and 6 have been cancelled while they predicted 3 of those games would be successful, at MS has put money into different type of games while ryan gambled on GAAS games and cancelled half of them anyways

Crayon

The much-maligned normal business guy. Maybe above average business guy. I could never tell how much of the hate was genuine and how much was manufactured.

I have almost every PS1 game on my PS3 from the store, and I can play every disc version on them. I never play them. And if I really wanted to get the urge, I will just emulate with all the added features emulators provide to modernize them some.

Now would I be against them adding them more and more for the PS5, no. But they are so niche and minute compared to what 99% of gamers play in current year. What Jim Ryan said about GT1 when it was sitting next to GT5 or GT Sport, I believe is accurate. "Who would want to play this over the new hotness." (paraphrased)
You and Ryan, are objectively correct.
But it doesn't eliminate the argument for gaming preservation, and the value of older games.
I believe the fact there are people who want to play them, even if they are a minority, makes including backwards compatibility, something nice to do. For those people, and for gaming preservation.

One of the reasons many people don't actively want to play older games, or even know of them, is because they aren't conveniently available to them in the open.

If a modern player opens the PS Store, and sees this:

images

Some of them will be intrigued, and will want to play it. Even if it looks "not shiny". Everything else about the game, will give them enjoyment.

Xbox's backwards compatibility works. People want to play these games, and they play them, because they are over there on the store.

And arguing that those games are valueless (to preserve and play) due to "not shiny", or not popular like "the new hot thing", is straight up anti-art.

But if Ryan or you don't care about that, then there's no further to go with this, just agree to disagree.
GT7's racing gameplay model alone is the best the series has ever been. Even got hardcore PC sim racers to say great things about it.
That's cool.
Doesn't change the fact that GT 3 should be preserved in stores, and conviently available for people that want or may want to play them.

Just like the movie industry does. Good movies made in the 60s, can coexist with good movies made in the 2020s.

Xbox and Steam made that clear, with gaming.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You and Ryan, are objectively correct.
But it doesn't eliminate the argument for gaming preservation, and the value of older games.
I believe the fact there are people who want to play them, even if they are a minority, makes including backwards compatibility, something nice to do. For those people, and for gaming preservation.

One of the reasons many people don't actively want to play older games, or even know of them, is because they aren't conveniently available to them in the open.

If a modern player opens the PS Store, and sees this:

images

Some of them will be intrigued, and will want to play it. Even if it looks "not shiny". Everything else about the game, will give them enjoyment.

Xbox's backwards compatibility works. People want to play these games, and they play them, because they are over there on the store.

And arguing that those games are valueless (to preserve and play) due to "not shiny", or not popular like "the new hot thing", is straight up anti-art.

But if Ryan or you don't care about that, then there's no further to go with this, just agree to disagree.

That's cool.
Doesn't change the fact that GT 3 should be preserved in stores, and conviently available for people that want or may want to play them.

Just like the movie industry does. Good movies made in the 60s, can coexist with good movies made in the 2020s.

Xbox and Steam made that clear, with gaming.
With your take on preservation, I completely agree. Sadly, it comes down to time and money, which is why even MS's endeavor they stopped doing was a shortlist as well.

With your take on preservation, I completely agree. Sadly, it comes down to time and money, which is why even MS's endeavor they stopped doing was a shortlist as well.
Yeah, that's true.
Focusing resources on new things (Specially considering how dry the PS5 library  still is), is the sensible thing to do.

Backwards compatibility is more of a long term goal.

And as you said, Emulation is a thing. And PlayStation is not as anal about it as Nintendo is. So there's that for the people that want to play older games.

Top Bottom