• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries - Revisionist fairy tale meets 2.5D action, Kickstarter

oAO8rfm.jpg

Site | Kickstarter | Trailer

A twisted fable in a rich, fantasy setting of smoke-spewing factories and evil forests, Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries is an action-platforming fairy tale of death, industrial greed and vengeance. Coming to PC in 2015.

c8e002d550f2d6e12984beb45c759d80_large.gif

2.5D Action-Platforming - Woolfe's 2.5D levels combine the simplicity of sidescrolling gameplay with three-dimensional worlds to explore and puzzles to solve.

Fast, Axe-Wielding Combat – Armed with her trusty axe, Red will need to skillfully execute combos to strike at her foes' weaknesses. A mindless hack-'n'-slasher this is not.

Deranged Fairy Tale Bosses – Woolfe's boss-battles are the creatures of nightmares. Buckle up for a bloody encounter with “familiar faces” such as The Pied Piper, a monstrous Pinocchio and a Creeping Beauty.

A Rich, Visual Experience – Woolfe's multi-layered, atmospheric artwork was inspired by masters of imagination, including Tim Burton and Dutch painter Anton Pieck.

A twisted fairy tale story - Our take on the Red Riding Hood legacy is not your ordinary bedtime story. If you thought the original versions of the story (not the blockbuster derivates) were cruel, think again!

23a9467a8680e9b0c644266343c2e6fc_large.png

Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries was granted funding, covering the production cost of the basic game (minus the 'magic, the quality upgrade and user integrated content / customized toy soldiers; in short, minus everything we're kindly asking you to support us for).

At this point, we've already finished the first chapter, which is about 1/3rd of the game and have started production of the second chapter.

b93ba54abb6b2e9bcb72a93639e5027e_large.jpg

Considering this was in Microsofts indie reel at E3 I assumed this was already funded.
They discuss this on the KS page

Regarding funding and launching a campaign:
While at this point much of the core gameplay is in place and with the current funding at our disposal, we could continue through development as-is. But, we want Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries to be something truly special. Kickstarter gives us the opportunity to include some excellent features that would otherwise have to be sacrificed and the opportunity for our supporters to (quite literally) be a part of the game.

This [the magic system] would of course mean a whole lot of extra challenges and workload for the following team departments:

Writing - In order to make this magic mode make sense, we’ll need to incorporate its origin into the storyline and gradually explain why our protagonists posesses these superhuman abilities. Was she cursed at birth? Did a wizard or fairy bless her with these skills? Will she only use her magic for good purposes or… will it draw her to the dark side? You see, the options are unlimited!

Programming & level design - Building an in-game teleport mechanic is a lot easier than making one in real life, but still, this involves a lot of technical challenges. And if we want to make the magic abilities feel like they are a genuine part of the gameplay, our levels, puzzles and fights should constantly be aware of and use these new game mechanics.

Concept art & 3D modelling - All visual elements needed to evoke this sense of magic will be handcrafted with lots of love. Our artists can hardly wait to pick up their magic brushes and start creating.

Regarding E3
JUNE 2014: FEATURED BY XBOX AT E3

"Hi, this is Microsoft speaking. We saw your trailer in San Fransisco. Would you like to be featured at our E3 XBOX event?"

And then some awkward silence on our end of the phone. Once it dawned on us that this wasn't a prank phone, it was full speed ahead for our 15 seconds of fame at the ID@XBOX media event. While money didn't allow us to actually walk the green carpet, we got goosebumps watching our project showcased on the livestream.

Nephtes

The art direction looks stunning. Am I the only one that thinks the combat looks kind of clunky though?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
When I first saw it, I thought it was Dragon Fin Soup.

It does look kinda... weird to me? I hope this kickstarter lets it get some good polish. I thought what I saw in the Microsoft presentation was cool, but the similarity to Dragon Fin made it impossible for me to ignore how much more I like DFS's overall art and design more...

Cyrano

While at this point much of the core gameplay is in place and with the current funding at our disposal, we could continue through development as-is.
So uh... why do they need a Kickstarter?

edit: So it seems like their goal with this is to add Magic, but why not just polish the gameplay and animations? It seems like either way it's going to be a hack-and-slash, it seems a bit odd to not try and spend money to make that work as best as possible. Particularly when it's only $50,000.

riceandpea

Neo Member
Wow. This looks real nice. Not sure I'll back it, but would certainly pick it up if it does get made. Hope it does, to be honest.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Looking good, but I won't support another Kickstarter game until I get the ones I already backed. And coming to PC in 2015 probably means H1 2016 by the typical Kickstarter schedule/delay.

Bulzeeb

I'd love to have a wii U or vita version, will wait

edit: I sent a message to the developers asking for a wii U version and it seems they didn't know that Unreal 3 supported wii U and vita and that they will be making a port (at least wii U for now)

mao2

When I first saw it, I thought it was Dragon Fin Soup.

It does look kinda... weird to me? I hope this kickstarter lets it get some good polish. I thought what I saw in the Microsoft presentation was cool, but the similarity to Dragon Fin made it impossible for me to ignore how much more I like DFS's overall art and design more...
LOL same here. Dragon Fin Soup was the first thing that came into my mind when I saw the images. I think it looks really nice though.

Well it was nice to scroll to the bottom of their KS and see that at least one of their programmers has verifiable game programming experience.

Corpekata

Banned
Looks cool but man, isn't this like the third kickstarter game starring Red Riding Hood? Time to give her a bit of a rest when it comes to these "fairy tales with a tiwst" stories.

Labadal

Game was
stealth
released a week ago and I had no idea. I might play this in the wait for Pillars of Eternity.

Durask

I got it,

The art is very nice but the dialogue and story are cringe-worthy and combat is clunky.The whole grim fairy tale makeover has been done to death (not to mention that original folk tales were pretty dark to begin with lol).

I thought the Gamespot review was in tune with my own impressions.

Love the art though so in the end I do not regret buying it.

I watched the quick look on Giant Bomb it reminded me a lot of the Alice games. It certainly looks really nice but the combat and dialogue didn't seem all that great.

New blog post... bad news.

It’s done, there is no way back. We tried, we failed.

The team is now dismantled and we have requested bankruptcy unable to pay outstanding bills.

I guess our public silence the last few months already said a lot. It is not out of disrespect that our communication dropped to almost zero… it is out of shame. It is truly devastating to read the negative comments we received by some press and players. With Woolfe being the most passion driven thing we have ever created, it feels horrible to live with the feeling we let you down.

Once the sales numbers began rolling in, the consequences of our beautiful adventure started to become painfully clear.

This is not just the end of Woolfe, but the end of the studio that I founded and nurtured through ups and downs the past 13 years. In 2002, when I founded GRIN with 2 partners, it was our goal to develop independant games. At the time we were focussed on browser based 3D games. Not an easy market to make a living from at the time. Less than 2 years after we started my 2 partners stepped out; there just wasn’t enough work to go round.

The people that believed in us from the beginning? People we made promises too. People we have let down. Even worse… people we will not be able to give the full rewards they invested in.

The crazy thing is, that we have most of the rewards ready for postage. All the backer stickers and letters of enlistment just need a stamp. All the poster sets printed, signed and ready. The artbook is ready to be printed, the soundtrack is ready for distribution, the DVD case is ready for production. But we have literally no money whatsoever to pay for stamps, let alone print the artbooks and dvd-cases.

More here
http://woolfegame.com/blog/?p=924

Dascu

Hmm, I did not realize the Steam reviews were so negative. Sad to see a Belgian dev go under like that.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Hmm, I did not realize the Steam reviews were so negative. Sad to see a Belgian dev go under like that.

The tl;dr is they decided to make their 2.5D game into a 3D game but couldn't really pull it off, so they annoyed all the people who wanted the original side-scrolling game and invited unfavourable comparisons to other, much better 3D games.

Combine that with a lack of advertising/buzz and all the extra resources they spent in order to increase the scope of the game and welp, dead studio.

Did anyone on GAF play it?

I did, and it was not a bad game. It was definitely overreaching a bit, and was a bit buggy, but not horrible. I think the "Mixed" rating on Steam is right, but I feel that word has negative connotations, whilst it really should not

Ultimately it felt like a smaller studio trying to make something outside of their normal scope, but they hit a few roadblock on the way.

Top Bottom