• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the Deus Ex pre-order bonus?
Heh, I'd argue that 90% off all their most recent games is better than Steam or anyone else has ever done. Given that bundles are normally games from a year or two ago, the Build Your Own Telltale Bundle was arguably better than any formal Humble Bundle would have been. In fact, we can verify this--in May 2013, Humble had a Telltale Bundle. It included $1: BTTF, Sam and Max 3 (2010), Poker Night 1 (2010), Wallace (2009), Puzzle Agent 1 (2010), Puzzle Agent 2 (2011). $5 (BTA): Walking Dead. At that point, Walking Dead had been out for around 13 months since the first episode and maybe 5 or 6 since the series had ended. So you got a year old game and 5 multi-year old games for $5.

In the build-your-own Bundle this week, you got Game of Thrones (oldest episode 8 months old, not done yet), Tales from the Borderlands (oldest episode 9 months, not done yet), TWD S2 (2014), TWAU (2013-2014), Poker Night 2 (2013), Jurassic Park (2011), and others if you wanted for about $15-ish. Newer games including two that aren't finished, and even more older games, and the price scale is super reasonable. Especially since GoT is 6 episodes. Definitely the best bundle opportunity in a year or two for sure, across all publishers.
Putting the facts out like that, I can't help but agree. The selfish part of me hopes they continue this sort of thing.

I really wonder how stores convince developers to sell their games at those prices sometimes. But I guess Humble has not only pionerred the practice, but proven that there's an industry to be made in doing it.

Deadpool coming to current gen consoles for 50 bucks.
Wow.

AA games may be dead, but at least they're remastered.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
What's the Deus Ex pre-order bonus?

It's another tiered bonus order deal, where x amount of people need to preorder to unlock everything.

2930595-deus.jpg

AA games may be dead, but at least they're remastered.

This is why consoles will never stop existing, console gamers have proven time and time again that they will keep buying the same game over and over as long as it's labeled as a remaster or remake, these companies are literally turning up the settings on the PC versions and porting them to consoles and getting $30-$60 for them. As scummy as it may be, it's genius.

Pachimari

Seeing Mother Base have currently hooked me in Peace Walker, I could have seen myself spend money on it, if it means I'll get more soldiers to send out on missions. If it's only for FOB, then nope.

Salsa

the 4 day early release is fucking insane

the worst one of these things ive seen

I love how everyone talks about how connected these guys are to their audience

"OMG they made an ad that mentions a gafer!!"

then they do this crap

omg they love us

Yeah the 4 day thing is definitely the most disturbing bit. A veritable carrot-on-a-stick.
This is why consoles will never stop existing, console gamers have proven time and time again that they will keep buying the same game over and over as long as it's labeled as a remaster or remake, these companies are literally turning up the settings on the PC versions and porting them to consoles and getting $30-$60 for them. As scummy as it may be, it's genius.

It's just the logical next step after GotY editions, which were in turn the logical next step after classic game collections.

dex3108

the 4 day early release is fucking insane

the worst one of these things ive seen

I love how everyone talks about how connected these guys are to their audience

"OMG they made an ad that mentions a gafer!!"

then they do this crap

omg they love us

If they respond to YT like/dislike bar they are listening :D

derExperte

Remember that Portal 2 ARG? They hinted at an earlier release the more people did something (can't remember what) but it was basically a scam.

Basically means there is no chance for a decent discount in the Winter sale.

PC games get heavy discounts constantly despite recently released console 'remasters'.

Salsa

Remember that Portal 2 ARG? They hinted at an earlier release the more people did something (can't remember what) but it was basically a scam.

I got the game like 12 hours earlier was it? it was real

but that was for getting the golden potato by doing everything

also, I got another copy of the game before release for free (had already bought it)

nothing like this

derExperte

I got the game like 12 hours earlier was it? it was real

but that was for getting the golden potato by doing everything

also, I got another copy of the game before release for free (had already bought it)

nothing like this

Free copy for doing everything? Don't remember that at all but then I wasn't crazy enough to do that.

Turfster

I like how they're promoting a DX:MD CE... that you can't fucking buy anywhere... and their augment your preorder link goes to a 404?

Kifimbo

PC games get heavy discounts constantly despite recently released console 'remasters'.

It's Activision (see Call of Duty "sales").

Salsa

Free copy for doing everything? Don't remember that at all but then I wasn't crazy enough to do that.

yeah, I got a copy of the full Valve pack that included Portal 2 the day it was released, and the game unlocked for me quite a bit earlier

I remember cause I gave it to a friend

I did absolutely everything on that potato challenge tho, was hooked hard

edit: here

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1856717

good ol days

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well we've just about made it to page 400 folks.

I'll be putting up the new thread in the next few hours. I already have a pretty good title in mind, but if you guys can think up a better one I'll use it.

Uzzy

So people are losing their shit because it's a tiered pre-order system? Where was this outrage when Bioshock Infinite did it? Feels like a real shitstorm over nothing.

I'll be putting up the new thread in the next few hours. I already have a pretty good title in mind, but if you guys can think up a better one I'll use it.

STEAM | September 2015 - Your Mother's Base is so big that even Snake can't fulton it.

Steam September 2015 ~ Kept you downloading, huh?

My wit is unparalleled.
I'd rather get Mankind Divided in February than XCOM or Mirror's Edge. Mirror's Edge uses Origin, and I still haven't beaten Enemy Unknown.

You don't need to beat Enemy Unknown to be ready for the sequel. In fact, just the opposite...

XCOM 2's gonna be the best.

Salsa

So people are losing their shit because it's a tiered pre-order system? Where was this outrage when Bioshock Infinite did it? Feels like a real shitstorm over nothing.

?? everyone always talks shit about these

regardless; this one includes a fuckin carrot on stick 4 day early release

that's new, and easily the worst example of this crap yet

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Early release is tied to how many people preorder? How messed up is that?

As Hektor mentioned, it's worse than usual as you're only able to get one of multiple bonuses per tier unless you buy whatever they're calling the collector's edition.

Also they have the balls to phrase it in a way that makes it seem benign, saying that you can customize your pre-order how you see fit.

I've never been fond of the system, but it's a little bit different than the usual tiered system, where everyone unlocks everything if enough people preorder. Now you're restricted to one thing per tier.

Or with Tales of Zestiria. Admittedly, getting another game with it did alter views.

I regret not buying Deadpool for $10 when we had the chance a few years ago. Now with the $50 pricepoint for PS4/One, I doubt that the PC version will be cheap for a while.

Salsa

STEAM | September 2015 - Post now and get this thread 4 days ago

7 hours into release on Close Your Eyes report.

Firstly, I AM SO RELIEVED, Trading Cards are in~ Anyone who buys or has the DLC/got those keys I gave away a while ago should have access to the Trading Cards, I was worried since I'm only charging $1.99 for it and gave a lot of keys away it might not work out, but there's already CYE trading cards ending up on the market, so I assume people who got keys can get Trading Cards.

Though it was temporary, this also made me really happy. From Steam's Most Popular chart:
4b414c7382d497d87b44bbc777de01d9.png

With all that, response and reviews for the game have been extremely positive so far, surprisingly so again. I knew the old version of the game got praise, but was thinking it'd be harsher on the Steam-side, but it's rather glowing so far.

Not too much attention yet, but I'm very pleased with the response. And interested as more feedback roles in.

Must be a gradual rollout or something because CYE is still absent from my badge page and I definitely got a key from you a ways back
thanks by the way, in case this sounds ungrateful

Mr. Doop

Tiered pre-order systems are bullshit no matter who does it. The system for Deus Ex is a whole lot worse than what they did for Bioshock Infinite, though.

Uzzy

Tiered pre-order systems are bullshit no matter who does it. The system for Deus Ex is a whole lot worse than what they did for Bioshock Infinite, though.

Pre-orders are bullshit in the vast majority of cases. The only real advantage is getting a cheaper price or a preload.

I'm just baffled as to why this particular case suddenly gets a mass uprising of people losing their shit. Is it the four days early thing?

Damn, seems the folks behind gods will be watching really took the criticisms regarding their game to heart. There's like 6 different modes for the game, ranging from the original RNG heavy and difficult mode all the way down to just a narrative mode and everything inbetween.

I think I'll play it on standard puzzle mode once I come around to the game.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-orders are bullshit in the vast majority of cases. The only real advantage is getting a cheaper price or a preload.

I'm just baffled as to why this particular case suddenly gets a mass uprising of people losing their shit. Is it the four days early thing?

To go fully in depth, tier one unlocks a costume. There are a total of three costumes you can choose from, but you can only get one.

Tier two unlocks either a digital art book or an OST sampler. You're restricted to choosing one.

Tier three unlocks a bonus exclusive side mission.

Tier four unlocks either a digital comic or digital novella. You can only choose one.

Tier five unlocks the game four days early.

So no, it's not just the four days early thing. At the end of the day, it's mostly fluff, but the fact that you can only unlock all of that fluff by buying the collector's edition is silly.

Backlogger

STEAM | September 2015 - Still downloading MSGV because no pre-load

STEAM | September 2015 - At Tier 5 the October thread will launch 4 days early

yuraya

STEAM | September 2015 - Snake what took you so long?

STEAM | September 2015 - Forward operating thread.

STEAM | September 2015 - 6000 games and still no Half-Life 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom