• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

LilJoka

But doesn't piracy include the countless people in this thread downloading SNES Emulators and running roms that aren't attainable via retail anymore? I'm asking this very genuinely but I'm starting to feel I have a very different understanding than everyone else here.

It does technically but people have their own high horse to ride.

L.O.R.D

But doesn't piracy include the countless people in this thread downloading SNES Emulators and running roms that aren't attainable via retail anymore? I'm asking this very genuinely but I'm starting to feel I have a very different understanding than everyone else here.

Thanks a tonne!!!
Let's not make this thread about piracy, OK?

and no, emulation is not piracy,nor obtaining the roms of the games the right way
You can rip any snes game from the cartadge

I don't have snes game nor i can care about them

Maximo

Thanks a tonne!!!

Oh man this response.

So I have 3 3DSs. A Char OG, SRW LL and a normal n3DS XL. The OG, while being 3x faster, hasn't been updated since 2013, the latter are on the latest FW.

Ultimately I'd like to have one 3DS which can play my JP and US games so i dont have to carry two of them on me, is this possible with any of these units atm?
Use the OG and look into rxTools. Free exploit (works through the browser) and will allow you region free and the ability to keep up to date with system updates so you'll always be able to play newer games and use eshop.

Jockel

But doesn't piracy include the countless people in this thread downloading SNES Emulators and running roms that aren't attainable via retail anymore?
I own all the games I've mentioned and dumped them myself. There's literally no piracy involved in my case.

Rich!

I own all the games I've mentioned and dumped them myself. There's literally no piracy involved in my case.

Also, "not attainable via retail"? Bullshit. SNES games are on the Wii VC. Guess what? There's a SNES ROM in each one and you can extract it via homebrew.

While it's quite likely the majority of users are just pirating their roms - this isn't really the place to discuss the legallity/morality/etc. of it all.
EDIT:
Also, "not attainable via retail"? Bullshit. SNES games are on the Wii VC. Guess what? There's a SNES ROM in each one and you can extract it via homebrew.
I think he is referring to stuff that literally isn't distributed digitally and isn't for sale anymore except for second hand copies. Yes, it's still piracy. And it's not a good justification for it, either. In my opinion. If you do, that's fine. But see above. We don't need to talk about this here.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
zzz

This again? Get a Retrode/Kazzo/whatever -

SNES_in_KazooSm.jpg

retrode.jpg

Thanks. What would be the best firmware to update to and that gives the more homebrew possibilities? Also, has there been any Gameshark-like homebrew program done at all?
Get to any 4.x firmware and look into rxTools. After the you that set up (with an emunand) get NTR CFW. It allows for on the fly debugging and cheats.

rjc571

Banned
Let me ask again: Is there any reason to suspect that, in the event that I visit the 3DS eShop, Nintendo might notice I have titles such as "Metroid: Zero Mission" and "Rhythm Tengoku Silver" in my play history, get mad, and ban/remotely detonate my system?

Shiina

Let me ask again: Is there any reason to suspect that, in the event that I visit the 3DS eShop, Nintendo might notice I have titles such as "Metroid: Zero Mission" and "Rhythm Tengoku Silver" in my play history, get mad, and ban/remotely detonate my system?

I remember that guy that distributed his Twilight Princess 3DS bootleg/hack/whatever thing per streetpass got a bunch of people banned but generally I doubt they will care.

Elija2

I remember that guy that distributed his Twilight Princess 3DS bootleg/hack/whatever thing per streetpass got a bunch of people banned but generally I doubt they will care.

Wait, if you Streetpass someone with a hacked game you could get banned? That's kinda scary.

The only thing we've seen Nintendo ban systems for is when there are multiple users online using a game with the same unique ROM header (i.e. they are all using the same ROM dump). I think those systems can still use the eShop but can not play games online.

Still can you not delete them from the activity log? (I ~think~ this is a thing, I know the activity log having a finite amount of space and a priority in erasing things once it gets full is). In fact how is the activity log used in the eShop? Is it offline to decide what games you can review or does it take that info to the server and remember it. I suppose I could try sometime (play game for hour go to eShop, delete game from activity log see if eShop still lets me review the game).

I imagine though you might raise a few eyebrows when doing a streetpass but that is about it.

Elija2

I don't think any of that was confirmed.

I would hope it's not true. I don't think Nintendo are stupid enough to ban people who only Streetpass someone with hacked games.

Still can you not delete them from the activity log? (I ~think~ this is a thing, I know the activity log having a finite amount of space and a priority in erasing things once it gets full is). In fact how is the activity log used in the eShop? Is it offline to decide what games you can review or does it take that info to the server and remember it. I suppose I could try sometime (play game for hour go to eShop, delete game from activity log see if eShop still lets me review the game).

I'm pretty sure Nintendo tracks Activity Log stuff. You can only review a game on the eShop after playing it for at least an hour, so they at least track some stuff. And I'm pretty sure that if you delete a game from your Activity Log and then play it again, the data from before you deleted it is still preserved so I don't think you can completely delete Activity Log stats from your 3DS.

Hasney

Does Nintendo even have the right to do that? I've never heard of any other software exploits getting a cease and desist before.

Sony and the PS3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUvuaChDEg

I mean if smea wants to respond the same way Geohot did, I wouldn't mind.

Pffff, release it anyways. What's the worst that can happen.

Ask Bleem what the worst that could happen is. They won every court case Sony brought against them and they still had to shut down because of the legal costs.

Glad I got it before they removed it, but if they C&D it doesn't matter either way. Fuck, I thought I was in on the ground floor this time after missing Cubic Ninja and updating firmware past 9.2 just a week or two before the goodies happened before :(

I played it at the weekend just to see what kind of game it was - Gears of War clone as far as I could see in the 30 seconds I played it.

While it would be upsetting if he couldn't release his work, the fact it's a known exploit vector will probably make sure somebody else finds it nonetheless.

Gaspard

Smea probably got a C&D but is reassuring on Twitter that nothing is cancelled.

He also apologized to the Ironfall devs for their game being pulled on the European eshop.

L.O.R.D

its very weird they pulled the game from the eShop without knowing where or how the exploit work

i imagine if the whole ironhax is a joke from smea

i know smea don't joke about this stuff , but if it was a joke , it will be fun to watch

Hopefully smea will learn to keep his mouth shut about an exploit until his actually ready to release it in the future!!!

I actually wonder if it would be a better idea compared to what we have now. The exploit for a free/cheap game, available right after announcement, could go viral, and thus game could end up being delisted faster than in the current scenario.

Vuze

I mean, if they'd pulled it when smea first announced the exploit game, I wouldn't have been surprised. But now all of a sudden? Something seems fishy about this. Anyway, I don't expect too much from ironhax personally. I'm still on 9.5 GW EmuNAND with NTR 3.0 cia launcher and I looove it. Only thing I need to have working is MHX regionfree. Still afraid it will ship with 10.x and some new encryption shenanigans

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Top Bottom