• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel introduces Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur comic

Status
Not open for further replies.
moon-girl-and-devil-dinosaur.jpg

In 1978, Marvel comics published Devil Dinosaur, a story by Jack Kirby about a red Tyrannosaurus Rex and his caveman-like friend, Moon-Boy. The series itself was short-lived, but come this fall, the world will once again be introduced to the adventures of Devil Dinosaur — and this time, his companion won’t be a caveman named Moon-Boy, but instead, a pre-teen super genius named Lunella Lafayette…otherwise known as Moon Girl.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/12/moon-girl-devil-dinosaur-marvel-female-superhero

Really like Moon girl's design.

Sesha

My prayers for a DD book has been answered. And Moon Girl sounds great. Cute design.

Not to enthused about Amy Reeder/Brandon Montclare, though. I haven't read much from them that I've liked. Still, the concept of the book itself is awesome. In it for that alone.

Teggy

Needs a Moon Knight crossover.

Looks cool - more variety in the Marvel catalog is always good. Marvel would probably benefit from making some kind of minor branding of comics that are suitable for younger readers and maybe put this, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl and some new properties in there.

DrArchon

Looks super cute! Bonus points for diversity as well.

Also, after the success of Jurassic World, can we finally get our MCU Devil Dinosaur movie? We're way overdue for it I feel.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
already categorizing it in my head under "stuff to not talk about with people that hate Squirrel Girl, because reasons". Just a funny feeling I got.

Sesha

I need MvC4 something fierce. Now. Disney pls.

already categorizing it in my head under "stuff to not talk about with people that hate Squirrel Girl, because reasons". Just a funny feeling I got.

What kind of philistine monsters would hate comics about kids and their dinosaur companions?

Tryna get that Super Dinosaur money huh Marvel?

Is it really doing that well? Marvel have been cancelling Devil Dinosaur comics before they launched for years, now.

I wouldn't name a little black girl after a ape like creature, but their heart is in the right place.

Yeah, that is very, very unfortunate. I'm sure they thought the name Moon Girl was too good not to use in and of itself. It would have been without issue if she was Asian or Hispanic. But yeah...

jph139

Expected a monkey-person, saw a black girl, immediately saw the unfortunate implications and felt bad.

Thankfully no one actually knows who the fuck Moon Boy is so it'll be a non-issue I'm sure.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What kind of philistine monsters would hate comics about kids and their dinosaur companions?

the same monsters that hate squirrel girls and their squirrel companions!

Expected a monkey-person, saw a black girl, immediately saw the unfortunate implications and felt bad.

Thankfully no one actually knows who the fuck Moon Boy is so it'll be a non-issue I'm sure.

until it starts getting pointed out.

marrec

Banned
Is it really doing that well? Marvel have been cancelling Devil Dinosaur comics before they launched for years, now.

No, Kirkman and Co have it on hiatus right now and before that its schedule was anemic.

Sucks too cause my kid loves it.

Slayven

All they need is one panel someone saying she is the new Moon Boy, and her just giving them Epic Side Eye.

Also a Ms,America teamup issue, most comic industry issues could be solved by having characters team up with Ms.America.

This sounds great. I love the existence of young-adult books that actually feel super-heroic, and fun, but which also read as genuine to the audience they target. I haven't been a comic reader for some time, but as I was leaving the hobby, books like Runaways and Young Avengers actually gave me a lot of hope for the medium. I hope this continues in that vein.

Slayven

This sounds great. I love the existence of young-adult books that actually feel super-heroic, and fun, but which also read as genuine to the audience they target. I haven't been a comic reader for some time, but as I was leaving the hobby, books like Runaways and Young Avengers actually gave me a lot of hope for the medium. I hope this continues in that vein.

They also have the best humor

3935948-6570098601-power.jpg

Agree. You should check out the new Ms. Marvel.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Needs a Moon Knight crossover.

Looks cool - more variety in the Marvel catalog is always good. Marvel would probably benefit from making some kind of minor branding of comics that are suitable for younger readers and maybe put this, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl and some new properties in there.

they have younger readers lines might as well flesh it out with more books.

You should check out Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel and Howard the Duck.

Weiss

Banned
Other than the short lived Storm ongoings here and there, this would be the first time Marvel's had a black female lead, right?

Sorry if this is backseat modding but can we drop the moon boy thing. Marvel is doing something cool here, let's not turn it into a debate.

It's worth making into a debate. Nobody here has suggested Marvel has some evil racist agenda in mind, but it's still unfortunate.

Jawmuncher

Im interested. Devil Dinosaur always looked cool, but I never felt there was a good jumping on point with how much I have missed.

Other than the short lived Storm ongoings here and there, this would be the first time Marvel's had a black female lead, right?

It's worth making into a debate. Nobody here has suggested Marvel has some evil racist agenda in mind, but it's still unfortunate.
You misunderstand what I was saying. I meant let's not turn it into people insulting each other over the unfortunate naming. People are free to comment on its truly unfortunate namesake but no fighting.

Shouldn't she be some sort of cave girl? Passing the mantle is pretty uncreative and lame in general. Doubly so when you're being passed the role normally reserved for a dumb animal. Yikes.

Looking forward to seeing who replaces Lockjaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom