• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

TomShoe

Banned
I don't get why everyone is so excited over getting a creampie

I don't judge people by sexual orientation but this is a little weird

kswiston

damn if the 3ds is on life support, what does that make anything thats not the ps4? cause i dont see any other console thats gonna be selling as well as the 3ds but the ps4

3DS has shipped just over 20M units worldwide in the last 8 quarters. the Nintendo DS shipped over 60M at the same point of its lifespan (11th-18th quarters).

The 3DS has had shit legs, and its initial sales weren't even that strong by Nintendo Handheld standards. It's overall hardware sales will be healthy, but years of customer apathy outside of a few big titles (and Japan) aren't going to do the next handheld any favours.

AniHawk

3DS has shipped just over 20M units worldwide in the last 8 quarters. the Nintendo DS shipped over 60M in the same point in its lifespan.

The 3DS has had shit legs, and its initial sales weren't even that strong by Nintendo Handheld standards. It's overall hardware sales will be healthy, but years of customer apathy outside of a few big titles (and Japan) aren't going to do the next handheld any favours.

and then imagine that the xbox one might have a hard time reaching the same numbers. i think that's what he's getting at.

Fat4all

Banned
I don't get why everyone is so excited over getting a creampie

I don't judge people by sexual orientation but this is a little weird

sunny-search.gif

sunny-pie-21.gif

vin-buc

I MEAN now we are just trying to think how an average COD player would think lol I personally don't know. But I am highly doubt that 7 years of mindshare, would change within 1 release. Just like MGS V example I gave before, if somehow MS is marketing that, that brand is still associated with PS, and will always sell more on that. No matter how much marketing money you put it. But we will see.

Its an entire shift in a cultural hit. It goes from YouTube, ESports, Timed DLC, Marketing (and maybe bundles) all while the PS4 is the leader in practically every territory (if not all). It's a lot bigger than a normal marketing switch. It shows what the "defacto" console is. Last generation, Xbox cemented itself in NA with these deals - making sure everyone saw that 360 controller with all the marquee games being played. It's happening with the dualshock 4 now. It will also pave the way for next year's game and the one after that. I believe there is a multi-year partnership between PS and CoD.

Tigress

Wanted to see Witcher 3 still in top ten. Such a good game. Wanted to see the developers rewarded with Skyrim like numbers.

It seems patches droped its legs.

If so that's too bad. Trying to be the good guy ends up biting them in the butt.

Honestly, I appreciated that they actually tried to even fix gameplay UI in those patches. Usually you have to wait til the next game for them to mess around with that and they only fix random bugs.

I hope it did as well as they hoped it would at least. I still prefer Elder Scrolls/Fallout but Witcher 3 is a good game (I just prefer the type RPGs that ES/Fallout are). I like CDPR, and I'd like to see them do well. And I want the next Witcher to have Ciri as the main character (I really loved the times I got to play as her).

Meh, who cares about NPD? They aren't even close to showing the full story. Who cares if Sony sold 20000 or so consoles more? July saw the launch of Windows 10, bringing with it 14 million people into the Xbox ecosystem within 24 hours. That's enough to eliminate the sales gap IN ONE DAY.

I don't see how Sony can recover from this. I mean at one point they had the Vaio, but Kaz shortsightedly got out of the PC business to afford buying timed DLC for CoD.

I guess I should let all the ponies enjoy this one NPD battle, but Microsoft is winning the war.

What in the world...

StevieP

Banned
Imru’ al-Qays;175359000 said:
Yes. But they're fill different roles and cater to different demographics. There is no evidence that the factors driving the collapse in handheld sales are in any way relevant to PS4/Xbone sales.

It isn't 1998 or 2008 anymore. I think you'd find the demographics of the dedicated handheld closer than ever before to the dedicated console.

kswiston

and then imagine that the xbox one might have a hard time reaching the same numbers. i think that's what he's getting at.

I'm not really talking about overall install bases, but rather momentum. Both the Wii and PSP had great overall hardware sales. Both had no sales momentum ahead of their successors launch in North America (and varying levels of momentum elsewhere). Compare that to the PS3/360 that were still selling decently in 2012/2013. Different outcomes despite similar overall sales (all were in the ~80M-100M range). Now look at their four successors.

Maybe Nintendo will turn around or evolve their handheld market this coming generation. However, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see sales down another 60%+ in the west if they drop another dedicated console with $40 games. That market seems to be evaporating fairly quickly.

Crazy to me that Destiny sells better on Xbox One. Glad to see it going strong on Xbox and PlayStation though. September is going to be another huge month for it.

I feel like removing Wii hardware when comparing to gen 7 would be the same as removing the PS2 from gen 6. People like to single out the Wii and as the only console casual sensation, but the PS2 was very similar.

Sort of. People of my parent's generation did not buy the PS2 for themselves as a rule, and I know several who did buy the Wii.

You can't discount the Wii, but including all of it isn't any better from a perspective standpoint.

The Wii allows both sides to "win" the argument though, that's for sure.

Crazy to me that Destiny sells better on Xbox One. Glad to see it going strong on Xbox and PlayStation though. September is going to be another huge month for it.

If you could get just The Taken King physical for $40 it would probably beat MGSV in NPD for September

Memento

MM should've made LBP3. I loved LBP2, and I think 3 fucking sucked.

Well, they were developing 2 games at the same time already. Tearaway, which released in 2013 and Dreams, their new IP, which is still in the works (looks very ambitious). There is also Tearaway Unfolded, which must have begun development back at 2014/second half of 2014.

I do want to see a last LBP made by them though!

stryke

Looking at lego I guess that's the reason why Sony is trying to turn that around with Disney Infinity.
As well as Boyes having a best bud in Disney Interactive

AniHawk

Imru’ al-Qays;175359000 said:
Yes. But they fill different roles and cater to different demographics. There is no evidence that the factors driving the collapse in handheld sales are in any way relevant to PS4/Xbone sales.

fewer publishers, more expensive games, less variety, and fewer games at retail are a universal problem for dedicated hardware.

if kids/families/japanese folks/casual players (those who just pick up and play for a bit) are disappearing because they're not being served, then that's a problem that impacts sony and microsoft as well. microsoft in particular is going to get hit hard if they come up lacking in the family games department, which was a big reason for the 360's late success.

Well, they were developing 2 games at the same time already. Tearaway, which released in 2013 and Dreams, their new IP, which is still in the works (looks very ambitious). There is also Tearaway Unfolded, which must have begun development back at 2014/second half of 2014.

I do want to see a last LBP made by them though!

3 actually, if you also count Tearaway: Unfolded.

It isn't 1998 or 2008 anymore. I think you'd find the demographics of the dedicated handheld closer than ever before to the dedicated console.

That's a meaningless statement: something can be closer than ever to something else while still remaining substantially different. And the most important reason handheld sales are collapsing is that handhelds are being outcompeted by smartphones, which are basically just better handhelds that everyone already owns. There's no reason to believe that PS4 and Xbone are losing ground to smartphones in the same way.

fewer publishers, more expensive games, less variety, and fewer games at retail are a universal problem for dedicated hardware.

if kids/families/japanese folks/casual players (those who just pick up and play for a bit) are disappearing because they're not being served, then that's a problem that impacts sony and microsoft as well. microsoft in particular is going to get hit hard if they come up lacking in the family games department, which was a big reason for the 360's late success.

These problems aren't the main reasons for the handheld collapse. The handheld collapse is happening because smartphones are rendering dedicated handheld gaming devices obsolete. Kids and Japanese folks (and maybe casual players too, now that the Wii is gone?) constitute a larger proportion of the handheld market than their proportion of the home console market, but that's not the source of the asymmetry in market performance between the ailing handhelds and the healthy home consoles: the source of the asymmetry is that there's no reason for handhelds to exist in a world where everyone owns a smartphone, whereas there are still plenty of reasons for home consoles to exist.

I know, crazy. Despite the year one issues...Destiny is massive and going to continue to be if they get TTK right. And from what I've heard...they have.

No doubt. The game came out 10 months ago and is still charting. And better than COD right now. The early buzz for TTK seems to be pushing it up quite a bit again.

Shame they didn't do a physical $40 Taken King. September numbers will basically be just CE's and new players jumping in with the Legendary Edition. Would love to see just how big it would go but I have to assume the majority of Taken Kings sales will be digital

I know, crazy. Despite the year one issues...Destiny is massive and going to continue to be if they get TTK right. And from what I've heard...they have.

Yeah, they really seem to have put a full year's worth of feedback and work into that expansion. Hope it brings some folks back and even gives us some more KinderGuardians this Fall^^

While we wait, I'll throw in a X1 chart with some data for us to discuss...

OMW5GW8.jpg

X1 January-July 2014: ~1,230k
X1 January-July 2015 ~1,457k

YOY rise: ~18.5%

Xbox One has been up every month this year in sales over the last except for March.

AniHawk

Imru’ al-Qays;175360236 said:
That's a meaningless statement: something can be closer than ever to something else while still remaining substantially different. And the most important reason handheld sales are collapsing is that handhelds are being outcompeted by smartphones, which are basically just better handhelds that everyone already owns. There's no reason to believe that PS4 and Xbone are losing ground to smartphones in the same way.

i think people fret too much over whether or not the ps4 or xbox one are under attack as being market-collapsing failures. the xbox one might come in 30% lower than the 360. the ps4 will probably at least be flat gen over gen (probably up a bit). the issue isn't how the problems of this gen's contractions affect this gen, but how it affects next gen. i have a difficult time believing nintendo will be the only company changing the concept of dedicated hardware.

The Xbox has always been a shooter platform. I think more of the bungie fans probably switched to Xbox One than PS4, and Halo 5 hype is probably driving Destiny sales as well.

I'm not really talking about overall install bases, but rather momentum. Both the Wii and PSP had great overall hardware sales. Both had no sales momentum ahead of their successors launch in North America (and varying levels of momentum elsewhere). Compare that to the PS3/360 that were still selling decently in 2012/2013. Different outcomes despite similar overall sales (all were in the ~80M-100M range). Now look at their four successors.

Maybe Nintendo will turn around or evolve their handheld market this coming generation. However, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see sales down another 60%+ in the west if they drop another dedicated console with $40 games. That market seems to be evaporating fairly quickly.

I think Piracy absolutely devastated the handheld market in every way except for hardware(where it probably sold a whole lot of PSPs). For one thing it was incredibly easy and accessible compared to that on previous consoles, heck parents could just buy R4s for their kids, and kids helped others with CFW on the playground.

This had a corollary effect however. It got a generation used to paying little or nothing for games after making an initial financial investment in hardware. I think the effect of this on sending those users to mobile phones rather than to successor hardware with $40 price tags is underestimated.

Imru’ al-Qays;175360236 said:

Handhelds are hurting because of smartphones grabbing casual users.

Consoles are doing better than last generation, except the casual console, the Wii, which lost its entire userbase to smartphones, which is effectively gone now. The change is that there are almost no truly casual console buyers. There are no moms or grandparents or teenage girls buying consoles for wii sports. That's really the only difference this gen.

Smartphones are not a replacement for or competition to a game console. Saying that console are losing to smartphones just means people are losing interest in consoles, which is possible, but not what the numbers are indicating, since PS4/XB1 are selling better than PS3/360.

Busaiku

It looks like Splatoon is falling behind in the US compared to Japan.
Maybe this month will be better due to the update, but Japan also has the big numbers from holidays.

Top Bottom