• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S Sales Have Collapsed in Europe

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I work in IT I don't know anyone using office 365 or Outlook on their mobile because it's just not needed. Especially the Outlook app is garbage. If their servers go down (which happens) so does your mobile email even if you have an on-site exchange server. History has shown us that side loading app stores just doesn't really work and I don't think MS is going to change anything. Most people just don't want to deal with that. I guess we are going to find out what happens either way but it's amazing to me that MS thinks this is going to help them when other companies have had so much trouble trying to do it.

I work in IT and the PC gaming industry and every person/company/ vendor partner / supplier etc uses some form of Microsoft product.

Outlook, office 365, teams and Skype.

This is the UK.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I work in IT and the PC gaming industry and every person/company/ vendor partner / supplier etc uses some form of Microsoft product.

Outlook, office 365, teams and Skype.

This is the UK.

In the US. And I can confirm as an IT guy this is true. It's hard to not have some form of MS product.

I also work in IT and have done so for nearly 20 years, I've worked at several organizations where we've used Outlook on mobile. Some people prefer using the gmail app or native mail, but for security a lot of times you need to use the actual Outlook application. This is especially true in Finance, Government, and Ed.

No one really uses on-prem exchange anymore. And I've never seen any long term Outlook 365 outage.

History has shown side loading app stores doesn't work? Based on what? iOS has always been locked down except for jailbreaking and the only major android app store back in the day was the Amazon app store and it sucked. It didn't have half the leverage that Microsoft has to push its own store. Neither does the Galaxy AppStore and that came preloaded on galaxy phones.

I guess we will see what happens my guess is it wont work. Time will tell. I actually don't expect MS to even remove their apps from the main store so we might never really find out.

twilo99

I'm saying that valuation has no bearing on Xbox console sales....aka...the point of the thread.

But it should have a bearing in the opposite direction, if sales are collapsing, it must ultimately reflect the stock price.

My point is, how big of a problem is this for the parent company and does it at all matter for their bottom line?

People are saying that Microsoft can't maintain this because they are just loosing too much money, so naturally their numbers would look even crazier if xbox wasn't holding them back.

Klayzer

I love my Xbox too.
g5gHQvU.gif

MacReady13

I don't know how long it's going to take for the average Western video game media talking head to admit that GamePass is a great idea, but Microsoft is implementing it wrong. The only person I've seen challenge the idea or implementation of GamePass is Colin Moriarty.
In theory it is a good idea but it isn't good for the future of the games industry, and Colin has mentioned why many times. Only a company like Microsoft can handle the losses that a subscription service will inevitably bring, and if both Sony and Nintendo went down that path like Microsoft have, they won't last for many more years. It's as simple as that.

Topher

Gold Member
But it should have a bearing in the opposite direction, if sales are collapsing, it must ultimately reflect the stock price.

My point is, how big of a problem is this for the parent company and does it at all matter for their bottom line?

People are saying that Microsoft can't maintain this because they are just loosing too much money, so naturally their numbers would look even crazier if xbox wasn't holding them back.

Microsoft's valuation is sitting at $2.7 trillion dollars. If I had to guess, with or without Xbox, it would still be $2.7 trillion.

Topher

Gold Member
Their valuation would be higher TBH, no one knows how much Xbox actually loses for MS annually

I don't know that Xbox loses money at all frankly. Could be it breaks even. Either way, I seriously doubt that if Xbox is losing money then it is in the billions of dollars. That's what would take for make a significant impact on the entire company's worth.

twilo99

Microsoft's valuation is sitting at $2.7 trillion dollars. If I had to guess, with or without Xbox, it would still be $2.7 trillion.

That was exactly my point.. it's entirely possible that with or without xbox console sales, not much changes for Microsoft, in which case... why not keep xbox around?

Their stock is way overpriced, they are due for a correction, but still, no issues fundamentally and they can just chug along..

Their valuation would be higher TBH, no one knows how much Xbox actually loses for MS annually

I don't think it moves the needle enough for them to care at this point, I think they see way more upside long term than the short term loss/break even or whatever they are at...

Also, look at that profit.. its insane, they might as well spend some of it, which is why I think they dropped 70 large on CoD

Last edited:
That was exactly my point.. it's entirely possible that with or without xbox console sales, not much changes for Microsoft, in which case... why not keep xbox around?

Their stock is way overpriced, they are due for a correction, but still, no issues fundamentally and they can just chug along..
Do you have ANY idea, what happens when success or failure is treated the same?
You get the Xbox Division. A part of the company where people are paid to sit at their desks twiddling their thumbs.

Unless you actually WORK there, why do you want Xbox to survive without any reason to work hard? "Chug Along" means being paid to do nothing. If that is what you want Xbox to be, I have no idea what you think you are getting out of this. No wonder children no longer know what Xbox is.

Last edited:

twilo99

Do you have ANY idea, what happens when success or failure is treated the same?
You get the Xbox Division. A part of the company where people are paid to sit at their desks twiddling their thumbs.

Unless you actually WORK there, why do you want Xbox to survive without any reason to work hard? "Chug Along" means being paid to do nothing. If that is what you want Xbox to be, I have no idea what you think you are getting out of this. No wonder children no longer know what Xbox is.

The chug along comment is about Microsoft in general, their financials look stellar now and that is not going to always be the case, but despite that, they have enough margin to survive and thrive long term.

I have no idea about the dynamics inside the xbox division, but Spencer doesn't strike me as someone who just sits at his desk to collect a paycheck, but of course, that doesn't mean much for the rest.

What people don't understand is how robust Microsoft is in terms of intellectual capital.. they have an enormous amount of 10x engineers, I think they call them "technical fellows" internally, and you really can't put a price on that. Most people think that they are an overweight, old corporation that has been falling apart for 30+ years , I find that notion simply hilarious.

What people don't understand is how robust Microsoft is in terms of intellectual capital.. they have an enormous amount of 10x engineers, I think they call them "technical fellows" internally, and you really can't put a price on that.
I dont think MS is looked in that kind of way by other companies/industry or the average consumer.

i remember listening to the windows weekly podcast in which one dude said that MS was jelly of Apple.

In general MS is seeing as a big corporation that offers enterprise software and services. they lack creativity and the cool factor; they are the cubicle dweller of Big Tech.

twilo99

What’s hilarious is that every time people want to talk shop about Xbox some insecure fan always makes the conversation about Microsoft and how rich they are.

You just have to be realistic about these things and accept that xbox might not die or whatever the real fanboys are on about

Top Bottom