• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamSpy - Approximate LTD sales for every game on Steam (Updated Daily)

Parsnip

I decided to go for tiered pricing.

9,99 (107,99 per year), 19,99 (199,99 per year) and 49,99 (399.99 per year). That's before any discounts

The subscriptions are for people that would like to support Steam Spy (the cheapest option), indies (the middle one) and big developers or publishers (the most expensive one).

So far I've seen several subscribers choose the middle option and one choose the most expensive.

Here is a screenshot. I'm not really good at design, sorry :)

Sounds good to me, good luck.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
So, Valve contacted me and asked to stop taking subscriptions. It was fast :)

I've issued refunds to everyone, sorry for this.

But I'm not revoking anyone's new access rights, so you get both your money back and extended data access :)

But I'm not revoking anyone's new access rights, so you get both your money back and extended data access :)

It was probably a fun 13 hours while it lasted

edit: Did they list a justification? Just monetization of free APIs?

_machine

Ah well, shucks. The additional data could've been useful, but on the other hand it's not too surprising. I'm still glad they're allowing the site to be kept up though.

Parsnip

Well, that was fast.

I guess they are paying attention to stuff and things at least, even though it sometimes seems like they aren't.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
Well, that was fast.

I guess they are paying attention to stuff and things at least, even though it sometimes seems like they aren't.
Sure. It's just their marketing strategy to never talk about stuff until it's ready. They even talked about it in detail at Steam Dev Days :)

impact

Banned
Only 1.3M people on Steam that purchase several games a year? That's depressing.

Yea, the whole Steam userbase is four thousand jillion users (whatever it was) is kinda misleading when so many people use it as an IM client, and so many more people use it to just play one game (Dota, CS:GO)

I am the 1%, even though CS:GO and Souls games is pretty much the only thing I play

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Only 1.3M people on Steam that purchase several games a year? That's depressing.
Yeah, checking SteamSpy a lot has really put things into perspective for me. Even very popular and well received games rarely break the 1 million sales barrier, the market is still relatively small. The article says it all with the fact that you are a top 20% user if you own four or more games. And I'm pretty sure that includes f2p and free-weekend games.

Shengar

So geography wouldn't available to us free user again, ever? :(

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That is true for gaming in general.
But I'm talking about the "hits", not your critically acclaimed failure and then it's not. Arkham Knight is sitting at 429k, Far Cry 4 at 447k, AC Unity 207k. Those are pretty small numbers for huge projects like that, they do much much more on consoles. I know this isn't exactly knew information, but like I said, puts things into perspective when it comes to the PC market.

Anno

I'm actually amazed at the number AK has considering how fucked up it is and how you just haven't been able to buy it for awhile now. The other Arkham games did quite well, I think.

MUnited83

For you.
But I'm talking about the "hits", not your critically acclaimed failure and then it's not. Arkham Knight is sitting at 429k, Far Cry 4 at 447k, AC Unity 207k. Those are pretty small numbers for huge projects like that, they do much much more on consoles. I know this isn't exactly knew information, but like I said, puts things into perspective when it comes to the PC market.

It really, really doesn't. Far Cry 4 and AC Unity are Uplay games, and the only way to get it on steam is by buying it on the steam store directly. These numbers are not reliable to the number of actual copies sold because literally buying it on any thing that isn't Steam is going to grant you a Uplay copy instead.
Arkham Knight is sitting at 429k because it's a botched port that was fucked so bad they decided to pull it from sale.

Saty

You picked the wrong set of games as examples. One was removed from sale soon after launch and the rest are Uplay games which Steam data alone doesn't show the whole picture.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

AC Unity and Far Cry 4 also both came with Nvidia cards. I own Far Cry 4, just not on Steam and I'm sure many others do as well. On top of that, both AK and ACU have a reputation for being awful ports. Generally, good AAA PC games do well on PC.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
So geography wouldn't available to us free user again, ever? :(
I don't know yet. I have a guy with a better understanding of DB architecture look at my site and the thing is - I'm doing most of the stuff right already.

His suggestions are basically moving to multi-server architecture with slave replication and overnight data transfers to divide analytics, frontend and gathering. That's really expensive :(

My server currently serves 14 million SQL queries per day. Daily cache is around 70 000 data snippets.

While there is certainly some room for SQL optimization, I don't think I can get much only by this route alone.

I guess those were bad examples, I was just looking through some succesful multiplatform games that came to mind.

When trying to compare markets and their habits it is important to take their various differences into account. One such difference, as others have already explained, is that Steamspy numbers are an indication of a game's total sales only when every copy of said game is Steamworks-enabled. If it's not, then we have no way of knowing how many copies were sold in total as many of them are not activated on Steam.

Another difference is that console game sales are usually front-loaded while PC game sales are usually spread out over time. That's not to say that PC gamers are cheap bastards, it's simply because you can't trade in a PC game and use some of what you payed towards a new purchase. Many people buy a game when it reaches a 'safe' price point, ie a point where you are unlikely to regret your purchase even if the game isn't to your liking, other people wait to make sure that the game doesn't have technical problems at launch, others wait to upgrade their PC and then purchase games and so on. It will be interesting to see if the Steam Refunds system changes that.

In the end, some games just resonate better with the audience of a specific platform for various reasons.

Shengar

I don't know yet. I have a guy with a better understanding of DB architecture look at my site and the thing is - I'm doing most of the stuff right already.

His suggestions are basically moving to multi-server architecture with slave replication and overnight data transfers to divide analytics, frontend and gathering. That's really expensive :(

My server currently serves 14 million SQL queries per day. Daily cache is around 70 000 data snippets.

While there is certainly some room for SQL optimization, I don't think I can get much only by this route alone.
Ah, so geography feature have taxing the server quite heavily. That sucks, but considering the enormous amount of data you guys processed everyday, that is not unavoidable.
Another difference is that console game sales are usually front-loaded while PC game sales are usually spread out over time. That's not to say that PC gamers are cheap bastards, it's simply because you can't trade in a PC game and use some of what you payed towards a new purchase. Many people buy a game when it reaches a 'safe' price point, ie a point where you are unlikely to regret your purchase even if the game isn't to your liking, other people wait to make sure that the game doesn't have technical problems at launch, others wait to upgrade their PC and then purchase games and so on. It will be interesting to see if the Steam Refunds system changes that.

PC Games sales on Steam spread over time isn't just because the flexibility of the price, but also how they are easily available to anyone, in anytime, and on anyplace. Such luxury isn't available to (earlier) console games where the market is still physical and retailer driven.

PC Games sales on Steam spread over time isn't just because the flexibility of the price, but also how they are easily available to anyone, in anytime, and on anyplace. Such luxury isn't available to (earlier) console games where the market is still physical and retailer driven.

A very good point.

Shengar

A very good point.

Well, we can easily buy cult classic on Steam or GoG like Ghost Master like right now. But if you want to play PS3's Folklore, either you have to search them via Ebay for quite high price or go hunting to flea market. With how the internet works and how it become even more integral to our daily life. You're a Thai or Algerian gamer who happened to stumble upon an article to a cult game. The article incite your interest, and you want to try it out. If the game is available on Steam and/or GoG, you can easily buy it right away with no hurdle. Such is the advantage of digital storefront, resulting many games on Steam to have ridiculously long leg, and this is useful not only for gamers but (indie) developer as well.

Great article from SteamSpy's Sergey Galyonkin: Your target audience doesn’t exist

This is a really good point. A lot of the biggest games -- especially big multiplayer games with some kind of open-ended systems -- aren't really "games" that are part of a "gaming" hobby; they're a hobby unto themselves. You see this a lot with games like League of Legends or World of Warcraft -- or outside of digital in games like MTG or poker: if a game is rich enough, competitive enough, and fun over long enough periods of time, a large portion of its fans will be people who just use that one game to fill all their hobby time and don't even consider other similar things.

deleted

Have you considered donations to support a new server structure?
It's vastly different from charging for you services, maybe you are in the clear with steam agbs with that and I could see people offering a bit for the insight you site is providing.

Edit: I'm not a developer, wouldn't have taken part in the paid services, nor have I any real use for the numbers, I just find them fascinating and would donate a little bit for your services.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is a really good point. A lot of the biggest games -- especially big multiplayer games with some kind of open-ended systems -- aren't really "games" that are part of a "gaming" hobby; they're a hobby unto themselves. You see this a lot with games like League of Legends or World of Warcraft -- or outside of digital in games like MTG or poker: if a game is rich enough, competitive enough, and fun over long enough periods of time, a large portion of its fans will be people who just use that one game to fill all their hobby time and don't even consider other similar things.
You also have to come in with a really impressive offering that is significantly differentiated in order to even attempt to compete, since they don't have a clear end point a la a singleplayer game, and thus their fans will only try things that look really exciting to them.

Like, we can go through a few of your examples and look at the couple of instances where there were actually successful competitors.

MOBAs: Dota 2 had a very consumer friendly business model, and was a sequel to the predecessor to League of Legends (which pulled people off by having a vastly, vastly superior way to play a MOBA than the insanely clunky Warcraft 3 mod). Blizzard had a game that played very differently, had a huge install base of fans already, and was made by the team that made the games the genre itself is derived from. There were some minor successes in games like Smite and Awesomenauts that targeted a niche audience that wanted a large departures as well (2D sidescroller MOBA, third person action MOBA), but their audiences are certainly still tiny compared to LoL. Straight clones like Heroes of Newerth or the legion of games with subpar quality simply withered and died.

MMOs: We primarily saw success with either very unique titles with more niche audiences (EVE), games that completely upended the business model and gave out their game for free, or games with ~$200+ million budgets and huge brands (SWTOR, TESO, and FFXV all had modest success in comparison, but were able to sustain sizable teams while generating healthy profits, and two of them still had to change their business model in the end).

MTG: Hearthstone managed to deliver a much faster and cheaper game to play that worked great in a digital format and used the strength of Blizzard's brand and audience. It was also easier for new players to understand in quite a few ways, streamed well, and was widely recognized as being of very high quality.

Poker: I'm not sure what the comparison point would be here. Slot machines? Horse racing? Other forms of gambling? I guess there are a few variants of Poker itself, but basically they had to match the sense of suspense and either offer a completely non-social/non-thinking option (slots) or an even more social environment (sitting at a race track, thus being able to talk more openly than focusing on your cards).

For singleplayer, we do sometimes see similar phenomenon, and the example I like to use is GTA. When people first started competing with GTA, they just made GTA with a new skin, and those games had pretty mixed success (and are basically all gone now). Later on we got games like Assassin's Creed instead, which have huge structural similarities in how they work, but feel very different for the end user. It avoids the me-too sensation while targeting the same audience.

Or, to put this in shorter form, if you're not financed and stacked with talent to the gils, you shouldn't be trying to take on a competitor directly, and instead trying to build a decidedly different product that appeals to a similar audience. You should also pay very careful attention to what you could feasibly do. For the vast majority of developers, you want to be making EVE or Awesomenauts instead of throwing half your company's money at the wall, or simply look at an entirely different venue all together. Of course, there's only so many genres or platforms to work on, so at some point your game is going to be similar to or competing with something.

Enthus

Type-0 HD seems to have done pretty well for itself, despite being the most expensive FF title on Steam and being a spinoff.

Type-0 HD seems to have done pretty well for itself, despite being the most expensive FF title on Steam and being a spinoff.

IDK if the numbers are stable yet though, with it being a just released title. Gotta account for refunds from initial reactions, among other things. At the very least it's vastly outsold ZombiU on Steam though.

Meanwhile Valkyria Chronicles has recorded at 494K - Average seems to be steadily rising. Meanwhile, I shall continually pray for VC2 or 3 in our future, considering from everything else I looked at, VC is the most successful among the rest of the late Sega ports on Steam.

TheTux

IDK if the numbers are stable yet though, with it being a just released title. Gotta account for refunds from initial reactions, among other things. At the very least it's vastly outsold ZombiU on Steam though.

Yeah I think some people may have refunded the game when they saw that it's playable only with a controller.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
Have you considered donations to support a new server structure?
It's vastly different from charging for you services, maybe you are in the clear with steam agbs with that and I could see people offering a bit for the insight you site is providing.

Edit: I'm not a developer, wouldn't have taken part in the paid services, nor have I any real use for the numbers, I just find them fascinating and would donate a little bit for your services.

Thank you.

I don't think it's sustainable. I mean, I'd have to pay for additional servers monthly and donations are usually only good for a single cause.

Shengar

This really put into perspective how so many games last gen failed when they were chasing the illusive CoD audience huh?
JRPG, and FF in particular, is highly popular in Asia.
Thank you.

I don't think it's sustainable. I mean, I'd have to pay for additional servers monthly and donations are usually only good for a single cause.

Man, I hope running Steam don't drain some of your private money :(
I mean yeah, the data is goddamn big.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
Man, I hope running Steam don't drain some of your private money :(
I mean yeah, the data is goddamn big.
It's not so expensive for now. I'm sharing a server with my personal blog and podcast and my friend's forum, so we're splitting the costs ;)

But expanding is costly :(

Heyo, just came to mind - Since Valve won't let you monetize this, you think it would be a good idea to distribute the source-code for the system in case of the event that you might need to shut it down/other situations due to costs, and allow for others to rehost it, ala Reddit or PB?

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
Heyo, just came to mind - Since Valve won't let you monetize this, you think it would be a good idea to distribute the source-code for the system in case of the event that you might need to shut it down/other situations due to costs, and allow for others to rehost it, ala Reddit or PB?
If anything happens - yes.

My code is messy, I don't want to distribute it yet, as it will probably lead to more sofisticated attacks than now.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
Your site is receiving attacks? Like DDoS attacks?
DOS-attacks, injections and so on. Every more or less popular site is receiving those. My blog has been under daily attacks for several years now :)

It's mostly script-kiddies, because the site is not protected well enough against really dedicated hackers.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does Steam Spy track copies in peoples inventories?

As in, if a person owns the game, and has 50 copies in their inventory, does that count as one user or 51 users?

Is it even statistically relevant for data with such a reasonably sizable fudge factor?

from bottom to top

0R38AMz.png

Top Bottom