• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third Review Thread

higemaru

Yeah, I didn't see this being good even after initial reviews in Japan skewed mixed-to-positive. I have a feeling that maybe the hate for this is overblown so I'll wait for player impressions first but I'm not exactly optimistic.

weevles

Seems like FF should've been the title Nintendo gave the physical release for. I have a feeling this game is going to be even more of a lost cause sales-wise.

Jokes prolly been made.

More like Devil's Turd amirite :)

tumblr_n72o9krH5m1saxoooo1_500.gif

Ogodei

It's weird to think about. This time last year the buzz was all on Devil's Third and its wacky-looking multiplayer, while skepticism was the order of the day for Splatoon. Now it's quite the reverse.

I wonder if Nintendo would've benefited from axing the single player and just making the multiplayer game f2p on Wii U. Probably would've done a lot better especially with it seemingly being the only good thing about it and it being on PC.
I hope Nintendo got a better deal out of this with Valhalla owning the IP and publishing it on PC.

Effect

I can't believe this game generated so much rage at the thought of it not being released in America.

You have to look at context. At the time no one knew what the quality of the game was other then Valhalla and Nintendo. They're the only ones that had seen it. We had their word to go on and Nintendo fans trust Nintendo's word usually. They wouldn't expect them to back a piece of crap. Now you might not like all the games they release or back but they certainly aren't unplayable, ugly, crap. They're usually very solid games gameplay and graphics. Even the ones people don't like much like Metroid Other M or ones that don't sell a well like Wonderful 101. That's where people were operating from.

The second part is what Nintendo themselves due to the lack of third party support didn't have anything to offer the more hardcore customers that liked playing games like Call of Duty, etc. This showed up and it seemed like it might be a weird alternative, especially since it was finally reveal that Black Ops 3 would not be released and Treyarch was the last hope for a lot of those customers.

Then Nintendo went dark on the game after showing it off at E3 2014. Other then the initial reveal on IGN I found the Treehouse footage interesting and something I'd like to try. When it was a no show at E3 3015 people got worried and wanted to know what was happening. Especially after Europe and Japan got release dates and Nintendo of Americas as usually wouldn't say a damn thing. That is what what caused people to go into a fit about the game and demanding it be released. If it was bad at least people wanted the option of seeing for themselves or having a choice in buying it or not. That really was just another stone toss in the waters along side a LOT of other issues a large section of the customer base has with Nintendo of America.

It was only after all of this that reports of what the game actually was like came out and interest and general concern dried up and I think majority of people no longer care. If there was any cause for the flare up then it was because of Nintendo of Americas lack of communication of any kind when NoE and NCL make announcements. Nintendo as a whole even backing this in the first place. I really doubt the quality of this game wasn't known when they first signed on.

The huge downside of this is not that this game doesn't sell. It's that will people trust Nintendo again going forward when they decide to back a third party game then continue to go dark on it. Their judgement is greatly in question now and there should be concern over how they view their customer base if they thought they could sell this to them, especially the more hardcore customers. This hurts Fatal Frame which is likely a quality game. Especially since they seem to be backing Devil's Third more with how it's being released vs Fatal Frame getting a digital only release.

AniHawk

But wasnt it gonna be published by Xseed, the fan backlash happened because they thought it wasnt coming at all, since during E3 nobody said anything about the game. But for some reason NOA took back publishing and pushed it to Dec. i'm sure Xseed would have put it out in Aug.

yep pretty much. nintendo fans backed the wrong horse real hard.

Effect

But wasnt it gonna be published by Xseed, the fan backlash happened because they thought it wasnt coming at all, since during E3 nobody said anything about the game. But for some reason NOA took back publishing and pushed it to Dec. i'm sure Xseed would have put it out in Aug.
Or Xseed took a closer look at the quality of the game and backed out of the deal forcing Nintendo of America to do it themselves because they couldn't pawn it off on anyone. That's what the Xseed talk sounded like. That NoA didn't want their name on this for some reason (we know why now) and that was why they weren't talking about or even acknowledging it at times. That's how I interpreted this.

Again people wanting this to release had more to do with what NoA presented initially and the lack of communication in general afterward. It was more so the issue of NoA's actions because no one had a clue about the quality of the game and trusted that Nintendo wasn't putting out a piece of crap. Once the quality was known people stopped caring really quick. Quality I have a hard time believing was found out about only recently.

Nintendo never should have backed this in the first place. It was the wrong and stupid move. That money and effort would have been better spent paying for the development of a Wii U port of Black Ops 3 or even Destiny.

Why they ever decided to back this is a question that must be answered but never will be unless someone high up leaks something.

wildfire

Banned
It sounds like I'll enjoy the multiplayer but there are numerous complaints about the controls being frustrating.

Even if I play it on the PC I would be disappointed if the controls end up holding back the experience.

Wildean

Enough reviewers have found it so bad it's at least amusing for me to pick it up when it hits bargain bins. Though Nintendo's decision to publish this is inexplicable, and such a waste when there are probably plenty of projects they could have freed from limbo that could have been better.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Eurogamer's quote makes me shake my head.

Despite a decent stab at multiplayer, however, Devil's Third isn't even average. The game represents at least six years of development, but over that time the concept has been mangled. It is no accident that Tecmo's Team Ninja hasn't managed a good game since the 2008 departure of Itagaki and others. But Devil's Third makes you wonder where the talent went.

DOA5 and 3RE are good games.

Also, dissidia will be a good game.

On the other hand Devil's third's outcome was predictable, because of the development hell of the game, as well as Itagaki not being the dev he once was.

Sanctuary

Did anyone actually expect the game to review any better, going by the horrid trailers?
Also, I wonder how much of the game budget was spent on Itagaki's rockstar lifestyle? Since, you know, the game couldn't possibly fail; who cares about how much is actually used for development?!

Itagaki is incredibly overrated (see the Eurogamer review quote) so this is not surprising. He's made one good game and that was over a decade ago.

danmaku

As expected, this game is going to be the new whipping boy of the gaming press, after Ninja Gaiden 3 and Duke Nukem Forever. Don't get me wrong, D3rd looks awful, but not enough to justify a 3/10. 3/10 should reserved for Big Rigs, or games that don't work at all.

Not surprised. This game looked horrible in the trailers.

Makes me wonder if Itagaki even had much to do with Ninja Gaiden and DOA. That's a huge drop in quality.

Or Xseed took a closer look at the quality of the game and backed out of the deal forcing Nintendo of America to do it themselves because they couldn't pawn it off on anyone.

Nope.

XSeed was super not happy with Nintendo taking back publishing. This likely harmed their relationship long term, so we're even less likely to get situations where Nintendo passes on something and XSeed picks it up.

Inuhanyou

Itagaki is incredibly overrated (see the Eurogamer review quote) so this is not surprising. He's made one good game and that was over a decade ago.

The DOA series that he directed is really good, so is Ninja Gaiden. Yeah they are only two franchises, but let's not do revisionist history and say they weren't quality entertainment

Peltz

Which one? Super Tecmo Bowl? DOA1? DOA2? DOA3? DOA4? DOAX? DOAX2? Ninja Gaiden? Ninja Gaiden 2? Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword?

Which was the "one good game"?

Nope.

XSeed was super not happy with Nintendo taking back publishing. This likely harmed their relationship long term, so we're even less likely to get situations where Nintendo passes on something and XSeed picks it up.

So if it is true that XSeed was going to publish it, why would Nintendo take it back? Some have been saying because of fan backlash, but I think it's not so much fan backlash as what caused fan backlash: Loose lips. XSeed comes across as a company that can't keep a secret then.
I want to believe something different then like conclusion jumping.

The DOA series that he directed is really good, so is Ninja Gaiden. Yeah they are only two franchises, but let's not do revisionist history and say they weren't quality entertainment

DOA is okay but the best entry in the series is the one he had no involvement with. Ninja Gaiden 2 was also decent but I wouldn't call it great by any means, unlike the first title.

To his credit, Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black was fantastic.

Ogodei

Possibly that brief run of "employee openness" that got Pranger fired is what caused this to leak out from Nintendo's side, and not from XSeed.

I doubt anyone would actually go out of their way to purchase this over Metal Gear Solid V, Tearaway Unfolded, Mad Max, Until Dawn, Gears of War Remastered or a ton of Steam games that are on sale. Even if you only own a Wii U, (why?) that would be a disservice to gaming.

Best wishes.

I don't know from which side this leaked. But it was known at E3 that XSeed was publishing it and NDAs were involved.

I'd guess they weren't coming out and saying so because of an intended marketing plan.

ZoddGutts

Eurogamer:

Wow WTF?... that seems pretty unfair and mean spirited considering Team Ninja made DOA5 to the delight of many fighting game fans.

It's not my personal favorite DOA, but it's still a good game.

They also helped out alot in Hyrule Warriors which turned out to be the best Mousou game ever made. Then there's the Toukiden series which have also been very good.

Even if you discount everything else, DOA5 was a really good DOA game.

That alone shows me there's talent left at Team Ninja. They just need to find the best way to bring that out.

And this gets physical release and Fatal Frame V doesn't in North America? That's messed up. I will still play this somewhere down the line, but man, they chose the wrong game to publish, definitely.

DukeBobby

As expected, this game is going to be the new whipping boy of the gaming press, after Ninja Gaiden 3 and Duke Nukem Forever. Don't get me wrong, D3rd looks awful, but not enough to justify a 3/10. 3/10 should reserved for Big Rigs, or games that don't work at all.

Nope, a 0/10 or 1/10 should be reserved for games that don't work.

3/10 should be reserved for a bad game that's functional.

Inuhanyou

They also helped out alot in Hyrule Warriors which turned out to be the best Mousou game ever made. Then there's the Toukiden series which have also been very good.

Hyrule warriors, Toukiden, NG3RE, DOA5, Dissidia versus NG3 and that Metroid game.

I'd say that their track record has produced more good games than not.

Top Bottom