• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's new platform codename: "Project NX"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickroach

"NetFront Browser NX is a Webkit-based browser, developed by ACCESS and optimized for embedded devices, is built upon ACCESS’ deep knowledge gained from supplying more than one billion products currently deployed worldwide (as of 2011). NetFront Browser NX provides a new platform that offers magnificent UIs, renders web pages, and executes HTML5-based web applications, replacing rich Internet applications, including Java™, Flash, and Silverlight. The WebKit-based solution is extremely optimized for embedded devices including digital TVs, set-top boxes, game consoles, car navigation systems and In-vehicle Infotainment (IVI) devices."

damnit. Nintendo isn't even making a new console, they're making a Firefox plug-in.
well, whatever, still got my Wii U.

Jackano

All these people thinking it will be a handheld device....just remember the part where Iwata said it would be a home console.

That to me says 2 very important things:

1. It will be a home console
2. It will be a home console.

But I guess its open to interpretation

Iwata never said it would be a home console.

Sadist

All these people thinking it will be a handheld device....just remember the part where Iwata said it would be a home console.

That to me says 2 very important things:

1. It will be a home console
2. It will be a home console.

But I guess its open to interpretation
Wasn't Iwata, Reggie and Tanabe were the ones ;)

Wii u was the NX all along!!!
001-the-twilight-zone-theredlist.jpg

GamerJM

Banned
Mario should be getting a great new game at launch. Metroid should too. If that isn't Retro's game then whatever they have should be a launch title. I think F-Zero or Wave Race is in the works.

That's too many launch games IMO. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid would make a hypothetical great launch but it's pretty un-Nintendo like to blow their load that quickly (only time they've done something like that was 2002 wherein Sunshine, Wind Waker, and Metroid Prime came out within a span of months, if you look at the earliest worldwide release dates for them all), even if the teams for all three could hypothetically get them out in time, they'd like to spread their releases so the post-launch release schedule isn't barren. I'm guessing Zelda launch, "Excite-blank"/WaveRave/1080/new IP racing game (one of those), and then something else. Mario and Metroid will come after launch. It's possible we could get Zelda and Mario or Zelda and Metroid but I can't see all three.

Scrawnton

The issue with the console VS. handheld theory of what NX is has me confused. It has to be a combined platform for both, right? The 3DS is just as outdated as the Wii U is. They can't release a console and try to ride out the 3DS for another three years.

philion

Neo Member
"NetFront Browser NX is a Webkit-based browser, developed by ACCESS and optimized for embedded devices, is built upon ACCESS’ deep knowledge gained from supplying more than one billion products currently deployed worldwide (as of 2011). NetFront Browser NX provides a new platform that offers magnificent UIs, renders web pages, and executes HTML5-based web applications, replacing rich Internet applications, including Java™, Flash, and Silverlight. The WebKit-based solution is extremely optimized for embedded devices including digital TVs, set-top boxes, game consoles, car navigation systems and In-vehicle Infotainment (IVI) devices."

damnit. Nintendo isn't even making a new console, they're making a Firefox plug-in.
well, whatever, still got my Wii U.

Wouldn't all of this tie in with the disc-less - multi-platform gaming - cloud gaming?

JoeM86

The issue with the console VS. handheld theory of what NX is has me confused. It has to be a combined platform for both, right? The 3DS is just as outdated as the Wii U is. They can't release a console and try to ride out the 3DS for another three years.

Based on what Iwata had said in the past, the idea NX is to be a platform of system architecture and OS. It will then have different form factors (so handheld and console) with different specs but be interconnected akin to how the iPad and iPhone are. So, there are to be games on one but not the other, or on both. Account across both etc.

Whether they're still following this idea, we don't currently know, but that's what has been put forth in investor meetings over the last two years.

New rumors are being spread, not sure if they've been posted here.
Not sure if I believe that it's an insider talking, sounds like speculation to me and mostly falls in line with what I've been guessing though Im doubtful of a 2016 release for the new portable even if it makes sense(the 3DS feels really old).

Not sure if I believe that it's an insider talking, sounds like speculation to me and mostly falls in line with what I've been guessing though Im doubtful of a 2016 release for the new portable even if it makes sense(the 3DS feels really old).

I'd be outright astonished if the 3DS wasn't replaced next year, no matter what happens with the home console. Nintendo were gambling on the New 3DS stopping the system from flatlining, but support is fading for it and the sales figures are tumbling.

As imperative as I think it is to get the home console out as quickly as possible, the fact is that Nintendo could probably survive on the handheld money even if it is out in 2017. The handheld sector is where they're making all their money, though, and they're in serious trouble if they allow that to dry up.

Rodin

Mynintendonews posted my translation of that rumor on their website, guess now i know why people told me not to trust it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I posted that rumor from an italian website, but i didn't know who the author was. Now i think i got it, and if it's really him the rumor is 100% false. I already had the "pleasure" a few years ago, during the Wii U prelaunch, but not directly from him so i obviously didn't make the connection.

Banned
Mynintendonews posted my translation of that rumor on their website, guess now i know why people told me not to trust it. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I posted that rumor from an italian website, but i didn't know who the author was. Now i think i got it, and if it's really him the rumor is 100% false. I already had the "pleasure" a few years ago, during the Wii U prelaunch, but not directly from him so i obviously didn't make the connection.
Yeah I saw it on Twitter. It's bs.

If Nintendo have learned anything from the Wii U, it's that they need a multiplayer giant (Kart, Smash, Splatoon) much earlier in the console's lifespan. A Kart launch could do wonders for a console.

Neoxon

If Nintendo have learned anything from the Wii U, it's that they need a multiplayer giant (Kart, Smash, Splatoon) much earlier in the console's lifespan. A Kart launch could do wonders for a console.
But considering that they were working on Mario Kart 8 up until early this year, I doubt they can get a MK9 ready for the NX Platform's launch. A MK8 remaster, maybe, but not MK9.

Glowsquid

And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakamoto's team were overseeing Retro's next project. We haven't ANYTHING from him since Game and Wario tanked.

He was involved in Rhythm Tengoku The Best+ and was interviewed by multiple sites after Tomodachi Life's western localization was announced.

sörine

Banned
They learned this lesson with Wii (Wii Sports). The problem with Wii U is neither of their multiplayer launch giants (NSMBU, Nintendo Land) took off.

Akai

But considering that they were working on Mario Kart 8 up until early this year, I doubt they can get a MK9 ready for the NX Platform's launch. A MK8 remaster, maybe, but not MK9.

I could actually see them putting a complete version of MK8, with all DLC tracks included, out at launch and continue making more DLC tracks for it. It would actually make more sense than wasting that time making a whole new game...

Jackano

I could actually see them putting a complete version of MK8, with all DLC tracks included, out at launch and continue making more DLC tracks for it. It would actually make more sense than wasting that time making a whole new game...

Of just make new tracks for MK8, buff the game a bit, and call it MK9.
If NX is really supposed to "absorb Wii U architecture" that kind of thing should be possible.

More than that, on the topic of having a big multiplayer game at NX home launch, it's Splatoon 2.0 (or 3.0 if you follow the game's updates) that should be here.

E-phonk

Banned

I assume they'll launch with a 3D mario and Zelda, together with something new/fresh.

But the remaining MK8 team that worked on the DLC was small. Part of the team went on to help on Splatoon and other EAD projects.
The "core" mk8 team (Kosuke Yabuki, Hideki Konno) probably have been preparing their next project (MK9 most likely) for at least six months now. Mario kart 8 took 2 years to develop (with help from retro & namco bandai for asset creation). I would assume they'll have a mario kart game in some form within the first year of release.

jeffers

Of just make new tracks for MK8, buff the game a bit, and call it MK9.
If NX is really supposed to "absorb Wii U architecture" that kind of thing should be possible.

More than that, on the topic of having a big multiplayer game at NX home launch, it's Splatoon 2.0 (or 3.0 if you follow the game's updates) that should be here.

I've said a few times: Smash gold, MK8 gold, Splatoon gold, Pokken gold. solid multiplayer/e-sports set.

rekameohs

Banned
The remaining MK8 team that worked on the DLC was small. Part of the team went on to help on Splatoon and other EAD projects.

The "core" mk8 team (Kosuke Yabuki, Hideki Konno) probably have been preparing their next project (MK9 most likely) for at least six months now. Mario kart 8 took 2 years to develop (with help from retro & namco bandai for asset creation).
Did Retro have a hand with MK8? I thought they only worked on 7, though I suppose the DKCR level returned as a stage.

Neoxon

I assume they'll launch with a 3D mario and Zelda, together with something new/fresh.

But the remaining MK8 team that worked on the DLC was small. Part of the team went on to help on Splatoon and other EAD projects.
The "core" mk8 team (Kosuke Yabuki, Hideki Konno) probably have been preparing their next project (MK9 most likely) for at least six months now. Mario kart 8 took 2 years to develop (with help from retro & namco bandai for asset creation). I would assume they'll have a mario kart game in some form within the first year of release.
But Zelda is still coming to the Wii U. So even if the new Zelda ends up being cross-gen, much of the new-ness would be lost by the fact that it's not exclusive to the NX Platform (which begs the question, would it work on the Handheld)? Also, I thought MK8's producer is now in charge of Nintendo's mobile games?

Roo

The remaining MK8 team that worked on the DLC was small. Part of the team went on to help on Splatoon and other EAD projects.

The "core" mk8 team (Kosuke Yabuki, Hideki Konno) probably have been preparing their next project (MK9 most likely) for at least six months now. Mario kart 8 took 2 years to develop (with help from retro & namco bandai for asset creation).

Retro had nothing to do with Mario Kart 8.
Everything about that game was developed in-house with Bandai's external help.

Plus Konno is now chief of the mobile division so I don't think he'll involved in MK9 for a while now. At least not until their first mobile game is released.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Plus Konno is now chief of the mobile division so I don't think he'll involved in MK9 for a while now. At least until their first mobile game is released.

I'm not sure if NCL set up an official mobile division per say, or if Konno is basically just heading up the first wave of mobile games in EAD. (Nintendogs 3?)

Neoxon

I've said a few times: Smash gold, MK8 gold, Splatoon gold, Pokken gold. solid multiplayer/e-sports set.
I can see it, now.

Smash 4 Gold
  • All characters, stages, Mii Costumes, & custom moves unlocked from the start.
  • All DLC characters, Mii Costumes, & stages included, with custom moves for all of the DLC characters.
  • More stages from the 3DS version redone in HD.
  • Smash Run now included. I'm not sure if the NX Console could handle it for split screen, but it would definitely be allowed for online & multiplayer with NX Handheld users.
  • Cross-play with the NX Handheld

Splatoon Gold
  • Local wired LAN is now an option without the need for an internet connection
  • (If the NX Console can handle it) 2 Player Splitscreen Co-Op for Online
  • Cross-Play with the NX Handheld
  • You can now have pre-sets for your load-outs & save them onto a Splatoon Amiibo for use on another NX Console or Handheld. You can also save load-outs directly on the NX Handheld & transfer them to another NX Console if you so choose (see Smash 4's custom moveset transfer form 3DS to Wii U & vice versa).
  • More functionality for clans, including clan logos that you can customize.

Super Mario Maker Gold
  • If the NX Console lacks a variant of the GamePad, a companion app will be available for iOS, Android, & Windows Phone. A USB Mouse &/or Keyboard can also be used on the NX Console or the NX Handheld (provided that you have both).
  • More stage parts & enemies to include in your stages.
  • More Mystery Costumes
  • Any updates to sharing/searching for friends' stages/finding stages in general/etc. that aren't included in later updates to the Wii U version
Not sure what they could add to Mario Kart 8 (besides a Smash-esque item toggle) & Pokkén Tournament (since it's not out on the Wii U, yet).

Did Retro have a hand with MK8? I thought they only worked on 7, though I suppose the DKCR level returned as a stage.
Mainly with the retro stages, but yes.

I really hope that when the time comes Nintendo releases the NX on an event (theatre) and not at a N. Direct.
I feel like Nintendo would do a Digital Event so the message won't get screwed up, but just advertise the crap out of it.

sörine

Banned
You forgot Mario Maker gold.

One thing that could make these sorts of quick Wii U online multiplayer/ugc releases more appealing would also be Wii U cross compatibility. It gives the games an established playerbase and content library to launch with rather than starting from zero. Plus any additional content developed (for example a 3rd wave of MK8 track/driver dlc) could also be backported to Wii U during the next couple transition years for extra revenue and core audience goodwill.

But Zelda is still coming to the Wii U. So even if the new Zelda ends up being cross-gen, much of the new-ness would be lost by the fact that it's not exclusive to the NX Platform (which begs the question, would it work on the Handheld)?
Zelda will probably work on every NX device. The handheld itself should be near Wii U's power envelope. There could be interface issues but not if dual screens remain.

I really hope that when the time comes Nintendo releases the NX on an event (theatre) and not at a N. Direct.

I would be shocked if they didn't. I think there's a great case to be made for Nintendo's current approach to E3, with their Digital Presentation, the Treehouse Live segments, live competitions and all of the streaming sections - it makes their participation an event for everyone, and it foregoes spectacle for intimacy and a better look at the games - but there are occasions when spectacle is the order of the day, and I trust that they know a major product launch (or unveiling, at least) is one of those occasions.

I feel like Nintendo would do a Digital Event so the message won't get screwed up, but just advertise the crap out of it.

The message getting "screwed up" isn't down to the format, though - it's how they present whatever they have to offer and how they explain it. While I don't agree that the Wii U launch presentation was the kind of epic clusterfuck a portion of the gaming community thinks it was (that was grossly overplayed by the press and gamers alike) it wasn't as clear as it should have been, and it could have been handled better. That wasn't down to format: it was down to the way Nintendo presented what they had, and it would still have been as awkward and flat in a Direct as it was on stage.

Neoxon

I would be shocked if they didn't. I think there's a great case to be made for Nintendo's current approach to E3, with their Digital Presentation, the Treehouse Live segments, live competitions and all of the streaming sections - it makes their participation an event for everyone, and it foregoes spectacle for intimacy and a better look at the games - but there are occasions when spectacle is the order of the day, and I trust that they know a major product launch (or unveiling, at least) is one of those occasions.

The message getting "screwed up" isn't down to the format, though - it's how they present whatever they have to offer and how they explain it. While I don't agree that the Wii U launch presentation was the kind of epic clusterfuck a portion of the gaming community thinks it was (that was grossly overplayed by the press and gamers alike) it wasn't as clear as it should have been, and it could have been handled better. That wasn't down to format: it was down to the way Nintendo presented what they had, and it would still have been as awkward and flat in a Direct as it was on stage.
I just feel like the only live presentation that Nintendo will use to promote the NX Platform will be the Nintendo World Championship, which proved rather successful for Nintendo & was the highlight of their E3 this year (the Smash Direct would have been that, but Ryu & Roy got leaked). Digital Events proved to be just as hype (provided that they have something substantial to show) at E3 2014, & I think a platform reveal would be something substantial.

sörine

Banned
Right, a live press event when handled well can be incredibly impactful. The 3DS reveal at E3 2010 is a really great example of that, press response and the trickle down wom was insanely positive.

NahaNago

okay i was thinking about the wii u and the shared software between NX devices. What if the Wii U starts it off / was the experiment for dual screens. Lets say we have a 4ds thats about as powerful as a ps vita with games that are easily portable between it and the wii u due to them both having 2 screens. This could possibly extend the lifetime of the wii u and would explain the lack of software this year if they are trying doing their best to make all the Wii U titles available on the NX handheld as well as make new games for its launch.

thefro

Not sure what they could add to Mario Kart 8 (besides a Smash-esque item toggle) & Pokkén Tournament (since it's not out on the Wii U, yet).

New/retro battle mode tracks would be a big one. It'd be a great battle mode if it had custom maps (or just part of an existing course closed off) for it.

javac

Not everyone is Apple, but if you look at many other industries inside of the consumer electronics market, the time from reveal to release can be very short. I have no sight into the logistics of it all, but I think that maybe a long year or two introduction to release cycle isn't needed, especially if they can hit it out of the park with the first reveal, which is easier said then done.

Roo

Not everyone is Apple, but if you look at many other industries inside of the consumer electronics market, the time from reveal to release can be very short. I have no sight into the logistics of it all, but I think that maybe a long year or two introduction to release cycle isn't needed, especially if they can hit it out of the park with the first reveal, which is easier said then done.
I've been thinking about this for a while. They technically could reveal their consoles either at E3 or at a separate event and release them 6 months or so after.

They need to be perfectly clear about them. Like.. Freaking crystal-clear.
This is Nintendo tho. They failed the entire gen to get their point across about what Wii U is/was so..

NahaNago

I've been thinking about this for a while. They technically could reveal their consoles either at E3 or at a separate event and release them 6 months or so after.

This is Nintendo tho. They failed the entire gen to get their point across about what Wii U is/was so..

live event in April preferably May so we don't have to wait to long, blow out of info and games at June E3/direct and release it in October or November. Thats 7 to 8 months right there. This would give them the ability to promote at gamescom, e3, tgs, and possible pgs if they release it in Novemeber.

Neoxon

live event in April preferably May so we don't have to wait to long, blow out of info and games at June E3/direct and release it in October or November. Thats 7 to 8 months right there. This would give them the ability to promote at gamescom, e3, tgs, and possible pgs if they release it in Novemeber.
That's the problem, I don't think Nintendo is that big on live events, anymore. Granted, there's the Nintendo World Championship, but that's all they have now. Plus there's the issue of if they should release the Console or Handheld first (I personally think Console first for the West & Handheld first for Japan, but some of you think differently).

I think the failure to get across what Wii U is was more down to a lack of focus and clarity throughout the whole design process than anything else. The system lands awkwardly between several things, and while that awkwardness is run through with some brilliant ideas, it's still damn awkward and it makes marketing it and even developing for it awkward (is it a solid Nintendo system with off-screen? Or is a dual screen system? Or is it all about local asymmetric play? Or... or...)

Marketing NX - whatever it ends up being, be it a single console or a family of systems and a shared platform - will be largely down to how clear the whole thinking behind it has been, and then communicating that. Nintendo can market hugely effectively when they know what they have and understand it's strengths - Super Mario Maker being the most recent example, I think - but they seem to have this odd thing of bringing something to market that they're not really sure about at other times.

It's endearing in a way - sometimes they seem like the wasted guy in the corner at a party who comes up with what he thinks are amazing ideas, but when he sobers up he's not quite sure what he was thinking - but it also must make their marketing teams scream when they're presented with something that "seemed cool at the time".

That's the problem, I don't think Nintendo is that big on live events, anymore. Granted, there's the Nintendo World Championship, but that's all they have now. Plus there's the issue of if they should release the Console or Handheld first (I personally think Console first for the West & Handheld first for Japan, but some of you think differently).

There's absolutely nothing stopping them from booking a venue for E3, or CES or any other major event to launch the system if they feel a live press event is the way to go - just because they've gone for Digital Events at E3 the last two years it doesn't mean they're unable to ever stage a live show again.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I still think that we are going to get new Mario Kart rather than Mario Kart 8 Gold. I'm still unsure about other games because I think they would like to work on new games.

I think Nintendo MIGHT learned their lesson this time and improve on their deliverance on new console. *shrugs* I don't know for sure but that's why I'm very interested to see how they would announce new console to the audience now.

Roo

Yeah, I think a separate even such as Sony's for PS4 early next year could be a better fit for them. In case they mess up something they still have enough time to fix it. Leave games, announcements and such for later. Focus on the machine first.
What is it, what it does, how it does it, compatibility, specs, etc etc.

Edit: @Heath, I really hope so.
Remember they had a similar problem when 3DS was released. They managed to explain it was a brand new handheld but still the confusion kept going for another year or two after launch

javac

I mean they could announce both at once if they're daring enough and focus on the systems and a few titles and then have a software blowout at a separate event, similar to how Apple announce software at places like WWDC with a few hardware things and hardware in September. I don't know why I keep bringing up Apple, there's a world of difference in everything between the two but I guess it gives some parallels to work with and I guess I see NX and consoles in general going the phone route in terms of releasing quick and iterating instead of releasing a box for 5 years and letting it simmer, which is to be fair what Nintendo does now with the XL, 2DS and New lineup. Instead of releasing a new platform every 5 years or so that wipes the slate clean and starts anew, a platform that is continuously iterated upon like iOS and Android.

NahaNago

Oh i was just saying live event since people were wanting it i would honestly prefer them to just make a direct reveal. I really don't see the point personally for me for a live event since i'll just be sitting at home watching it anyway along with most everybody else. Heh heh heh why not do a double release with the handheld releasing in Japan and the console in the west and reverse it the next year.

GDGF

Soothsayer
New/retro battle mode tracks would be a big one. It'd be a great battle mode if it had custom maps (or just part of an existing course closed off) for it.

I'd love it if Nintendo revisited the track editor idea from the 64DD version of F Zero. Creating and sharing new tracks could extend the life of MK8 tremendously, but then there would be issues with actually getting enough people together to wade through the chaos of thousands of newly created tracks and play the one you spent so much time building (and populating it with AI racers wouldn't be as satisfying). Could be nice for time trials, though.

I guess they could throw the "ghost" of the creator on the track and gradually add the ghost of everyone that plays the track (leaving a few open spots for actual live players) until you've got enough for a full game, but that sounds like it would only work in a straight race with no items. Might as well go back to the AI racers idea in that instance.

Neoxon

Oh i was just saying live event since people were wanting it i would honestly prefer them to just make a direct reveal. I really don't see the point personally for me for a live event since i'll just be sitting at home watching it anyway along with most everybody else. Heh heh heh why not do a double release with the handheld releasing in Japan and the console in the west and reverse it the next year.
The only real benefits of a live presentation would be kissing up to the press & the spectacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom