• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

DD

project cars really does look quite poor

But it's a much more complex game that pushes things like 44 cars on screen with variable weather and time on a home console, running at a much higher framerate. If it wasn't for the shitton of bugs... =/

But it's a much more complex game that pushes things like 44 cars on screen with variable weather and time on a home console, running at a much higher framerate. If it wasn't for the shitton of bugs... =/

its not 60 fps on consoles, and even on a high end pc is still looks poor. forza being damn close to a true locked 60 fps xbone title looks good considering. its a very nice improvement over forza 5. pcars sucks up massive amounts of gpu rendering power on a pc and does nothing useful with it.

edit - i dont play forza but it appears its a truly locked 60 fps. even better.

its not 60 fps on consoles, and even on a high end pc is still looks poor. forza being damn close to a true locked 60 fps xbone title looks good considering. its a very nice improvement over forza 5. pcars sucks up massive amounts of gpu rendering power on a pc and does nothing useful with it.
"Damm close"? Did I miss something?

Not that it's a particularly fair comparison (60fps vs 30fps and all), but here's a pretty good comparison of Forza 6, Driveclub and PCars in a range of conditions, views etc. Some of you may recognise who one of the top comments is from lol. No guesses needed as to it's contents :p

Forza 6 vs. DriveClub vs. Project CARS | Graphics, Rain & Weather Gameplay Comparison (PS4 & Xbox)
As you mentioned it really isn't a fair comparison without a 60fps video. DriveClub stuns, as always, and deservedly so, but without that 60fps we're not seeing the real Forza 6. Not sure about pCars as I haven't played it.

i dont play forza games, but i was just allowing for the possibility of very rare framerate drops.
By why do that when they have a pedigree for hitting a constant 60FPS and there's frame rate data out there aupporting this for the latest game.

There's no need to "allow" for anything.

By why do that when they have a pedigree for hitting a constant 60FPS and there's frame rate data out there aupporting this for the latest game.

There's no need to "allow" for anything.

i dont think it changes the point i was trying to make, i was providing positive feedback on forza 6s graphics, but fair enough. if its a perfect 60 fps, even better.

nib95

Banned

edit - i dont play forza but it appears its a truly locked 60 fps. even better.

It is pretty much a locked 60fps on the PS4 since a few patches ago. And this is with 30 racers on the grid.

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_project_cars_rain_race_brands_hatch-34844_en.html

DD

all the data i remember seeing painted pcars as a 60 fps game as long as you race alone, on certain tracks, on clear mid day weather. otherwise it varied wildly between 30 and 50

The game improved a lot after the patches, just like Driveclub. :)

It's not 60FPS all the time, but it stays there most of it.

That's not my experience. It still isn't particularly smooth on my PS4. When I jump to a game that really is 60fps it's really obvious.

nib95

Banned
all the data i remember seeing painted pcars as a 60 fps game as long as you race alone, on certain tracks, on clear mid day weather. otherwise it varied wildly between 30 and 50

See the link above. With dynamic weather, heavy rain and 30 cars on screen, even with the graphical, motion blur and AA improvements, it's still pretty much a locked 60fps. Does suffer from some tearing though, but not much imo. Not from my own experience with it anyway. If you push the car count even further, naturally the frame rate is less likely to hold.

I got punced on in the Forza thread for saying that I was disappointed in FM6 graphics, and that Driveclub pretty much ruined everything.

I hate DC driving mechanics though, but it is the prettiest game I have seen next gen.

See the link above. With dynamic weather, heavy rain and 30 cars on screen, even with the graphical, motion blur and AA improvements, it's still pretty much a locked 60fps. Does suffer from some tearing though, but not much imo. Not from my own experience with it anyway. If you push the car count even further, naturally the frame rate is less likely to hold.

how many cars does forza 6 support? i still think it looks noticeably better.

nib95

Banned
how many cars does forza 6 support? i still think it looks noticeably better.

I think they trade blows, with PCars having better IQ and vehicle models/shaders. But Forza 6 having better environments and geometry, and better weather effects. Lighting wise I again think they trade blows, depending on conditions and time of day. PCars does however have more vehicles racing on the grid, on top of dynamic weather and dynamic time of day, things which Forza 6 does not have, so that could be something else to consider. I believe the Xbox One version of PCars also runs at 900p instead of 1080p, and has a less consistent frame rate than the PS4 version, so there's that too. Still a tremendous effort for a crowd funded game.

I think they trade blows, with PCars having better IQ and vehicle models/shaders. But Forza 6 having better environments and geometry, and better weather effects. Lighting wise I again think they trade blows, depending on conditions and time of day. PCars does however have more vehicles racing on the grid, on top of dynamic weather and dynamic time of day, things which Forza 6 does not have, so that could be something else to consider. I believe the Xbox One version of PCars also runs at 900p instead of 1080p, and has a less consistent frame rate than the PS4 version, so there's that too. Still a tremendous effort for a crowd funded game.

I feel like Turn 10 are falling behind the curve they use to lead.

Noobcraft

I feel like Turn 10 are falling behind the curve they use to lead.
They still have the best looking 1080p/60 fps racer on console (and likely will until Polyphony launches something). In terms of 30 fps racers I think Need for Speed has promise to be the best looking 30 fps racer, but until then it is Driveclub.

timlot

Banned
They still have the best looking 1080p/60 fps racer on console (and likely will until Polyphony launches something). In terms of 30 fps racers I think Need for Speed has promise to be the best looking 30 fps racer, but until then it is Driveclub.

Need for Speed is on another level. Should be interesting to see how the XB1 version turns out. DriveClub has a realistic color palette that Forza just isn't doing. NFS being multiplatform with those graphics tells me the way a game looks has more to do with developers design direction than hardware.

Shaneus

Also weird, when I first got to the weather/rain section of the video, it immediately started raining in real life as well. I think it's a sign.
What kind of sign?

Who are we talking about in the 'top comments' section in that video, BTW..? A banned GAFer? No name jumped out at me.
Think of someone who used to frequent threads, mostly Forza ones. I believe he is a fan of Fords. He's also a guy.

When you see NFS, and Driveclub, its difficult to look at Forza and say yeah that looks good.

I know they are different, but cmon man this is supposed to be next/current gen.

CLEEK

Not that it's a particularly fair comparison (60fps vs 30fps and all), but here's a pretty good comparison of Forza 6, Driveclub and PCars in a range of conditions, views etc. Some of you may recognise who one of the top comments is from lol. No guesses needed as to it's contents :p

Forza 6 vs. DriveClub vs. Project CARS | Graphics, Rain & Weather Gameplay Comparison (PS4 & Xbox)

Project Cars scenery and texture quality looks last gen. Forza 6 is decent for the most part, until it starts raining and it looks like the car is floating in mid air. Driveclub's lighting is still unprecedented, and the rain effects are stunning.

Noobcraft

When you see NFS, and Driveclub, its difficult to look at Forza and say yeah that looks good.

I know they are different, but cmon man this is supposed to be next/current gen.
One is literally drawing twice as many frames as the other. It has half the time to draw each image. 30 fps doesn't work well for simulating a realistic driving experience. 30 fps games simply don't feel as good as 60 fps ones, especially in racers.

VanWinkle

I wonder what frame rate DC would run at on non-rainy conditions, considering that even in a torrential storm it never drops a single frame.

Also, does anybody know what graphical improvements Turn 10 made from F5 to F6, besides the obvious things that can't be compared like weather?

I wonder what frame rate DC would run at on non-rainy conditions, considering that even in a torrential storm it never drops a single frame.

Also, does anybody know what graphical improvements Turn 10 made from F5 to F6, besides the obvious things that can't be compared like weather?

the lighting looks much better in f6.

nib95

Banned

Well, DC was originally aiming to be a 60fps title, so I wouldn't be surprised if it holds 60fps a lot of the time. Likewise with Forza 6, you have to wonder what the uncapped frame rate would be.

VanWinkle

Well, DC was originally aiming to be a 60fps title, so I wouldn't be surprised if it holds 60fps a lot of the time. Likewise with Forza 6, you have to wonder what the uncapped frame rate would be.

Yeah. I generally hate uncapped framerates but I would kind of like an option in DC just to see.

btags

I think that 60fps target was very early and very generous given how the game looks now. Maybe in the most sterile conditions it could approach 60, even then I doubt it.

I really doubt Driveclub would run at 60 without its cap. More in the region of 35-45, maybe 50 in a very empty scene. Just because it was originally aiming to be a 60fps title doesn't mean it would look anything like how it does now. It probably looked a lot different to the current version before they changed their "vision" for it.

CLEEK

I hate DC driving mechanics though, but it is the prettiest game I have seen next gen.

Yeah. DC has its moments, but mostly left me underwhelmed from a driving perspective. I'm sure I'd have more fun with Forza 6, but graphically, they're not in the same league. DC is still the only racing game to look next gen, rather than a shiner, prettier 360 game.

le-seb

I think that 60fps target was very early and very generous given how the game looks now. Maybe in the most sterile conditions it could approach 60, even then I doubt it.
You have to wonder how it can keep a stable 30 fps with 12 cars on screen in a hectic storm, then.

nib95

Banned
I really doubt Driveclub would run at 60 without its cap. More in the region of 35-45, maybe 50 in a very empty scene. Just because it was originally aiming to be a 60fps title doesn't mean it would look anything like how it does now. It probably looked a lot different to the current version before they changed their "vision" for it.

Given that torrential rain, storms, blizzards, quickly changing lighting (60x sped up dynamic time of day and weather), lightning, massive pile ups and everything else, don't lend to even a single frame drop, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a lot more overhead than just 5-15fps.

I guess Im the only one that wished we had DC graphics with FM6 mechanics. And I would not care if it was 30 fps. I don't care too much about that as it stands.

Hell Id take 25 fps if it blew my mind graphically.

Mobius 1

I really wonder if T10 makes a conscious decision to pursue that toy-like aesthetic, or if they are limited by talent and tech. Maybe it is a way to make the game feel more approachable?

Top Bottom