• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV’s Map Size Potentially Revealed: it’s Roughly an Enormous 780 Square

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brentonp

This is just a random question I want to ask because I wasn't having much luck searching Google to see if anyone else has been talking about it... Does anyone think that the running animations for the party members, maybe Ignis in particular, look extremely strange at times?

I feel like when I was playing the demo and also in some videos, Ignis would be running with extremely fast and choppy/robotic motions or something. I believe when this was happening, he was also running very close to Noctis. It's probably not 100% of the time though. I'm just wondering if this is just something that they haven't finished perfecting yet or if it's really how it's going to look when your party members are running with you.

Koozek

This is just a random question I want to ask because I wasn't having much luck searching Google to see if anyone else has been talking about it... Does anyone think that the running animations for the party members, maybe Ignis in particular, look extremely strange at times?

I feel like when I was playing the demo and also in some videos, Ignis would be running with extremely fast and choppy/robotic motions or something. I believe when this was happening, he was also running very close to Noctis. It's probably not 100% of the time though. I'm just wondering if this is just something that they haven't finished perfecting yet or if it's really how it's going to look when your party members are running with you.
I don't think that the characteristic look of the movements will change, but the issue you mentioned seems more like AI/path-finding/obstacle-avoidance stuff that is still being polished and tuned. Obviously there are still glitchy and choppy movements in certain situations, especially if characters are standing by each other in narrow places etc.

wmlk

I think Ignis' running animation is his walking animation but sped up.

Brentonp

I think Ignis' running animation is his walking animation but sped up.

Haha this is actually what it kind of seems like but at times it does not look very smooth at all. You can actually see him looking a bit awkward towards the end of that recent driving demonstration video.

But whatever, it's not a big deal or anything.

KarasuEXE

Imagine seamlessly flying over that map in an airship.

Video games are now larger than small countries. It's insane. Soon we'll have a second earth in the internet.

minecraftsize610.jpg

papo

I just hoep there are quick ways to fast travel, because huge open world maps just for the sake on being huge...suck. At least progression in older Final fantasy games follow a sort of linear route. I hope they keep it that way and it's only open in the end.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I just hoep there are quick ways to fast travel, because huge open world maps just for the sake on being huge...suck. At least progression in older Final fantasy games follow a sort of linear route. I hope they keep it that way and it's only open in the end.

We'll just have to see what the extent of it is. MGS5 kind of failed with this in my opinion with two big zones that were held up with a very thin narrative structure. Tales of Zestiria also had similar problems.

No, she hates when I'm watching hour-long videos on my phone or iPad of guys talking in Japanese
I'm sorry to hear that sir :(. I personally prefer watching the ATRs over a lot of movies that come out current day. Then again, that's not saying much since I'm not into watching movies much.

Palladium

Neo Member
I don't mind big open world games, but I wholeheartedly agree that making it big just for sake of one-upping others is overrated to hell.

Dark_castle

We'll just have to see what the extent of it is. MGS5 kind of failed with this in my opinion with two big zones that were held up with a very thin narrative structure. Tales of Zestiria also had similar problems.

Open world games tend to have problems with narrative design and pacing. Xenoblade X seems to be yet another open world RPG that received criticism to its story. Even for Witcher 3 which offers more in depth and interesting writing to its quests had people complained about the main campaign that it lacks urgency and tight pacing.

Brentonp

I just have a feeling that FFXV will be a different kind of open world. For some reason I think you are going to be encouraged to move forward and onto the next destination unless you come to a place that makes the characters say, "hey this looks like a good place to take a break and explore/relax for a bit."

If you think about FFIX, there were parts like when you first arrived in Lindblum and all your party members split up to do their own thing. FF games usually give you a sense of urgency at points when they really feel it is necessary for the story. I say usually because the forever-falling meteor in FFVII came to mind.

Philippo

If you think about FFIX, there were parts like when you first arrived in Lindblum and all your party members split up to do their own thing. FF games usually give you a sense of urgency at points when they really feel it is necessary for the story. I say usually because the forever-falling meteor in FFVII came to mind.

I'd love for XV to have the same thing as Ix where your party splits up in towns and you could monitor their actions.

I'd love for XV to have the same thing as Ix where your party splits up in towns and you could monitor their actions.

Yeah, this would be sweet. They've already got the bones of that in Duscae, where your crew wander around and do their own thing at the outposts. Maybe you can text them while doing independent town exploring.

Brentonp

Yeah, this would be sweet. They've already got the bones of that in Duscae, where your crew wander around and do their own thing at the outposts. Maybe you can text them while doing independent town exploring.

"Hey Ignis, Prompto is making me wanna kill myself. :( ttyl"

Haha I do hope you can split up and stuff. I know in the older trailers, they showed Noctis going around by himself at times. Think this was the parts with Leviathan. Guess that was still Versus at that point but whatever.

Dark_castle

Yeah, I want to see Active Time Event to be brought back in FF series. Thought it was a great and simple way to allow players to get to know more about party members, NPC and locations optionally, and occasionally finding secret items (like getting a power belt from four armed man in Treno).

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Playing MGSV right now I must say I would love a solution similar to that title when it comes to air-travelling with an airship. A better fast travel with more emotional impact and realistical enough visually.

Koozek

Yeah, I want to see Active Time Event to be brought back in FF series. Thought it was a great and simple way to allow players to get to know more about party members, NPC and locations optionally, and occasionally finding secret items (like getting a power belt from four armed man in Treno).
Party members will live-stream whatever they're doing through their phone with a Periscope-like app. They will be called Active Time Reports. Mark my words.

DeSolos

Playing MGSV right now I must say I would love a solution similar to that title when it comes to air-travelling with an airship. A better fast travel with more emotional impact and realistical enough visually.

My only problem with MGSV's helicopter is the waiting associated with it. I don't mind a slight load going from the helicopter to the destination, obviously they have to load the assets for the place I'm going to, but I don't like all the waiting for the chopper getting to me(yes you can upgrade this but it's never instant), leaving the area, loading into the interior view of the helicopter, picking a place on the map, loading to the interior view of the helicopter approaching the destination, and waiting for you to arrive at the destination(bonus waiting if you accidentally are looking at the gattling gun and press Y/Triangle to select it instead of the "get down" command).

Basically, there is too much waiting in MGSV's fast travel. I'd like a seemless Just Cause/GTAV plane that I can put on auto pilot and skip the travel if I want. Kind of like a taxi in GTA.

Perfo

My only problem with MGSV's helicopter is the waiting associated with it. I don't mind a slight load going from the helicopter to the destination, obviously they have to load the assets for the place I'm going to, but I don't like all the waiting for the chopper getting to me(yes you can upgrade this but it's never instant), leaving the area, loading into the interior view of the helicopter, picking a place on the map, loading to the interior view of the helicopter approaching the destination, and waiting for you to arrive at the destination(bonus waiting if you accidentally are looking at the gattling gun and press Y/Triangle to select it instead of the "get down" command).

Basically, there is too much waiting in MGSV's fast travel. I'd like a seemless Just Cause/GTAV plane that I can put on auto pilot and skip the travel if I want. Kind of like a taxi in GTA.

I'm tired of games that rush travelling sincerely. I can deal with some wait-time if that's more for the atmosphere. I'm not in hurry. In MGSV I love waiting for the helicopter, makes it more epic especially when you're under attack or you're completing an hard mission. Way more cinematic than something like ARR where I click a button and I'm teleported. Bleah.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, Vanilla WoW was better than FFXIV because nothing beat waiting 3 hours for a 5-man party to successfully get to a 5-man dungeon entrance because immersion.

Perfo

Yeah, Vanilla WoW was better than FFXIV because nothing beat waiting 3 hours for a 5-man party to successfully get to a 5-man dungeon entrance because immersion.

I takes 30 secs max for the helicopter to land. Who talked about 3 hrs of wait time? I love MGS V open world because for once you actually travel through it and you feel part of it instead of moving from one teleport area to the next. It doesn't feel fragmented like many other similar titles. That's what I'd like to see in FFXV's world.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm saying a comparison to FFXIV is dumb when FFXIV is an MMO and due to its very nature of party dynamics/multiplayer, making everyone in a group activity wait for the last person via unnecessary artificial padding is dumb.

Koozek

New German interview with Tabata:
http://www.gamersglobal.de/interview/ff7-remake-ist-ein-rivale-von-ff15?page=0,0
http://www.gamersglobal.de/interview/ff7-remake-ist-ein-rivale-von-ff15?page=0,1
http://www.gamersglobal.de/interview/ff7-remake-ist-ein-rivale-von-ff15?page=0,2

I think Google Translate should work well enough for you, but I could summarize a few tidbits.

- Versus XIII was long in development but nothing in the game really worked well together, nothing was ever final or solid.
- They also work with Avalanche Studios for the car's driving physics in addition to the tech needed for full-scale airship travelling (Avalanche is interested in using some of FFXV's tech, too).
- For Tabata a real-time battle system suits a modern, HD RPG the best, but they want to satisfy both fans of turn-based and action.
- Wants to move away from the overexaggerated, stylized way of depicting characters' emotion and interaction, more towards grounded, believable and human characters.
- See FFVIIR as a rival in a positive way and as a milestone, but not something they have to "beat".
- Collectable and upgradeable weapons.
- Camp will be upgradeable, too.
- Open-world and story-structure similar to Red Dead Redemption. The story progresses linearily, but every time you reach a new big open area, you can freely explore how you like. Some parts of the world might not be accessible at first for story reasons.
- ̶B̶̶i̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶r̶̶e̶̶a̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶p̶̶p̶̶a̶̶r̶̶e̶̶n̶̶t̶̶l̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶r̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶e̶̶p̶̶e̶̶r̶̶a̶̶t̶̶e̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶i̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶"̶̶z̶̶o̶̶n̶̶e̶̶s̶̶"̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶n̶̶o̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶p̶̶a̶̶r̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶f̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶e̶̶a̶̶m̶̶l̶̶e̶̶s̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶u̶̶g̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶m̶̶a̶̶p̶̶ ̶̶[̶̶N̶̶o̶̶t̶̶e̶̶:̶̶ ̶̶T̶̶h̶̶a̶̶t̶̶'̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶o̶̶w̶̶ ̶̶I̶̶ ̶̶u̶̶n̶̶d̶̶e̶̶r̶̶s̶̶t̶̶o̶̶o̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶t̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶l̶̶e̶̶a̶̶s̶̶t̶̶]̶̶.̶ EDIT: [Big areas are probably part of a seamless map, but are made accessible gradually (see FFXII, Xenoblade or Red Dead Redemption) - I assume that's what Tabata meant]
- There's no clear, single story theme/motive (like "Journey to the West" in Enslaved f.e.). It's more about universal, deeply human themes (friendship, bonds, loyalty, father-son-relationship etc.).
- No alternative endings. One satisfying ending.
- New-Game-Plus mode. Before you reach the final boss, you can decide to go back and finish remaining quests etc., as usual in FFs.
- WRPGs he likes are Oblivion, Skyrim and The Witcher 3. His all-time favorite RPG is Dragon Quest 3.
- Summons can't be leveled up. They are just asked to help, they don't take orders from you.
- The party will be able to swim in certain situations. F.e. there's a section in regards to a legendary weapon in the game where you have to swim [Note: He thinks it was already shown in a trailer - maybe he means the Leviathan scene from the E3 trailer?]
- Those weapons are an important part. They're trying to achieve some cool technical stuff with them, like Noctis soaring up with (or materializing into?) a cloud of water particles in "spiritual form" and then slamming hard into the ground again in "physical form" when using a certain weapon
- Feedback about female Cid wasn't really surrprising and they appreciate the different feedback from all around the globe for her and the demo in general, which they will use in the polishing process to offer the possibly best game experience for worldwide audiences ("globalization-process").

Also @RedMakuzawa translated two paragraphs completely:
COxM_EuUYAAskKq.png

Source: https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/642973494402093056
COxVcfNVEAQwaDy.png

Source: https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/642982796646977536

This reminds me of the Zelda Wii U thread when everyone analyzed the map for WEEKS!

Did we ever reach a consensus on the size of the map?

EDIT:

Quoting myself from the other recent PAX thread:

- Open-world and story-structure similar to Red Dead Redemption. The story progresses linearily, but every time you reach a new big open area, you can freely explore how you like. Some parts of the world might not be accessible at first for story reasons.
- Big areas apparently are seperate, big "zones", not part of one seamless huge map [Note: That's how I understood it, at least].

The definition of 'open-world' continues its journey into irrelevancy.

Koozek

This reminds me of the Zelda Wii U thread when everyone analyzed the map for WEEKS!

Did we ever reach a consensus on the size of the map?

EDIT:

The definition of 'open-world' continues its journey into irrelevancy.

Honestly, I'm not sure if Tabata might just misunderstood the question, if something was lost in translation (German interviewer asked in English, which was then translated to Japanese) or if I just don't understand the question and answer :D
The part in question:

"GamersGlobal: Noch mal konkret, bitte: Eines dieser Gebiete, von denen Sie eben sprachen, ist das nun eine einzelne, wenn auch große Map wie in der Demo, oder Teil einer großen Open-World-Karte?

Hajime Tabata: Ersteres. Grundsätzlich öffnet sich die Weltkarte nach und nach für den Spieler, und du kannst gehen, wohin du willst. Aber es gibt bestimmte Teile, die erst ab bestimmten Punkten in der Story zugänglich sind. Du kommst also in ein neues Gebiet und hast dann Zugriff auf diese Region, die so ist wie in der Demo und gehst dann weiter in die nächste. Das ist auch Teil des Storytellings, wobei der Fokus, sobald man den Höhepunkt der Handlung erreicht hat, stärker als vorher auf der Geschichte liegt."

Translation:
"GamersGlobal: More concretely, please: One of those areas you talked about just now, is it a single, albeit huge, map like in the demo, or part of one big open-world-map?

Hajime Tabata: Former. Generally the map opens up gradually as the player progresses and you can go where you want. There are certain parts, though, that can only be accessed at certain points in the story. So you reach a new area and then have access to this area, like you do in the demo and then you move on to the next. That's also part of the story-telling, although, when you reached the climax of the story, there will be a stronger focus on the story than before."

Honestly, I'm not sure if Tabata might just misunderstood the question, if something was lost in translation (German interviewer asked in English, which was then translated to Japanese) or if I just don't understand the question and answer :D
The part in question:

"GamersGlobal: Noch mal konkret, bitte: Eines dieser Gebiete, von denen Sie eben sprachen, ist das nun eine einzelne, wenn auch große Map wie in der Demo, oder Teil einer großen Open-World-Karte?

Hajime Tabata: Ersteres. Grundsätzlich öffnet sich die Weltkarte nach und nach für den Spieler, und du kannst gehen, wohin du willst. Aber es gibt bestimmte Teile, die erst ab bestimmten Punkten in der Story zugänglich sind. Du kommst also in ein neues Gebiet und hast dann Zugriff auf diese Region, die so ist wie in der Demo und gehst dann weiter in die nächste. Das ist auch Teil des Storytellings, wobei der Fokus, sobald man den Höhepunkt der Handlung erreicht hat, stärker als vorher auf der Geschichte liegt."

Translation:
"GamersGlobal: More concretely, please: One of those areas you talked about just now, is it a single, albeit huge, map like in the demo, or part of one big open-world-map?

Hajime Tabata: Former. Generally the map opens up gradually as the player progresses and you can go where you want. There are certain parts, though, that can only be accessed at certain points in the story. So you reach a new area and then have access to this area, like you do in the demo and then you move on to the next. That's also part of the story-telling, although, when you reached the climax of the story, there will be a stronger focus on the story than before."

Seems pretty clear cut to me. It's not a seamless open world map. Things can always get lost in translation, but with this much context, there's no doubt that the jist of what he's saying is that the game will not have a seamless open world map. It's not that big of a deal, but it is disappointing.

Koozek

Seems pretty clear cut to me. It's not a seamless open world map. Things can always get lost in translation, but with this much context, there's no doubt that the jist of what he's saying is that the game will not have a seamless open world map. It's not that big of a deal, but it is disappointing.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I mean, maybe he just meant that you can't go everywhere from the get-go and it open ups "zone for zone". It still could be a single seamless map technically. Let's wait and see...

EDIT: Or well, maybe you're right. There could be a loading screen when you drive from one big area to another or something like that. Is it like that in The Witcher? What about Skyrim?

artsi

I understand it that the world is open and seamless, but there are certain choke points that are blocked for story progression reasons.

When you reach the end, the whole world is open to explore.

sappyday

Hmm, I'm not sure. I mean, maybe he just meant that you can't go everywhere from the get-go and it open ups "zone for zone". It still could be a single seamless map technically. Let's wait and see...

EDIT: Or well, maybe you're right. There could be a loading screen when you drive from one big area to another or something like that. Is it like that in The Witcher? What about Skyrim?

The Witcher 3 has 5 areas that you can load into. Two of those being huge. Skyrim is all one map but you load into little areas like caves and homes unlike the Wither 3.

I still think that the map is open, just that it opens up gradually (easiest way to do this with the road-trip motive would be to put a roadblock and later remove it).
So you reach a new area and then have access to this area, like you do in the demo and then you move on to the next.
I think he implied the linearity of the game in its narrative with this. Like you reach new area, do all story stuff there and then move on to next region.

The problem is the context of the question. He was given two examples of an open world map that would describe the type of map in FFXV, and he picked the map with zones. The alternative didn't even need to be seamless, yet he still chose the former example anyway.

artsi

The problem is the context of the question. He was given two examples of an open world map that would describe the type of map in FFXV, and he picked the map with zones. The alternative didn't even need to be seamless, yet he still chose the former example anyway.

Yet he said it's like RDR which is 100% open technically, but the world is separated into zones by design.

eg. you can't go across the river to Mexico straight away, even if it's part of the same world.

It could very well be he means that the world is separated into zones but they're not separated by loading screens. They're just artificially blocked from each other until the story progresses.
That would be like the traditional FF games, the world map is open but still limited by travel methods until you acquire the airship.

Koozek

Yet he said it's like RDR which is 100% open technically, but the world is separated into zones by design.

eg. you can't go across the river to Mexico straight away, even if it's part of the same world.

It could very well be he means that the world is separated into zones but they're not separated by loading screens. They're just artificially blocked from each other until the story progresses.
That would be like the traditional FF games, the world map is open but still limited by travel methods until you acquire the airship.

Yeah, that's what I think, too.

Well, there's only so much speculation we can make about a translation of a translation, so if that's what he meant, I don't have a problem accepting that explanation for now.

However, this is still disappointing. It's very similar to how the LEGO games do open world, except the zones are exponentially bigger (and I say LEGO simply because based on the remarks about the progression of the story in relation to the openness of the world, LEGO games seem closer to how he says it'll work than RDR). LEGO The Hobbit worked exactly like this, and while I thought I'd be fine with it as I got closer to the end of the story, the truth is that by the time that everything was truly open, I had lost the desire to go off the beaten path and explore the unbounded regions.

I'm still looking forward to the game though. The world seems big enough per zone for exploration, and I've been waiting for a good high production final fantasy story to sink my teeth into for quite sometime.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Koozek, instead of pasting the same information in two unrelated threads... next time please make a new one for new news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom