• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Dancing All Night |OT| Aha! Is This Our Dance?

FluxWaveZ

Chie used to be my favorite character in the original PS2 game and voiceover... But uhh.... Where did all this meat obsession come from? It's meat this and meat that... add on the voice actress from the Arena games, and now she's one of the more annoying character.

Other than 2-3 her dialogue quips, Chie really doesn't mention her obsession with meat much in P4D, compared to the other spin-offs where it's a constant running joke. They even have her be self-referential about it in this game's story, which is pretty good.

FluxWaveZ

That actually is my preference lol

CP6t5G-UAAAbgXA.jpg:orig

I liked about half of them. Heaven is one I didn't liked and would honestly prefer the original song.

I also wished we had more track variety insted of normal song + remix.

This makes me sad as it really is my favorite version of the song. I still like the original, but it's more... poppy when compared to the Reincarnation/Live version and DAN version, both of which are jazz.

The game-length version of the song is amazing but the full-length version (it's 6 min, 14 seconds long) is my wholly preferred version overall though.

IzzyF3

Other than 2-3 her dialogue quips, Chie really doesn't mention her obsession with meat much in P4D, compared to the other spin-offs where it's a constant running joke. They even have her be self-referential about it in this game's story, which is pretty good.

It's a lot more than 2-3 dialogue quips when she screams MEAT POWER!! during the dances though. Her original voice actress made her very 3 dimensional. She's so obnoxious now.

FluxWaveZ

It's a lot more than 2-3 dialogue quips when she screams MEAT POWER!! during the dances though. Her original voice actress made her very 3 dimensional. She's so obnoxious now.

I mean that it's the same few quips repeated over and over again, right? There definitely aren't as many lines devoted to her love of meat compared to Persona 4 Arena (Ultimax) or Persona Q. Especially in the story, where that practically isn't mentioned at all. And Yukiko's lack of cooking ability isn't mentioned much, either, while that was her entire character story in Persona 4 Arena.

They did a good job in P4D when it came to staying true to who the characters originally were instead of how one-dimensional they subsequently became.

Does THIS mean anything to you?

HA. Not bad... Didn't think of that.

got the game yesterday, really enjoying it, couple of questions

all of the notes have a line with them too that look like the scratch notes. am I supposed to scratch with each note too or just the blue + fever notes?

how do I unlock MORE of the partners for the dances? I do the song once on auto, it unlocks whoever showed up in the song as an option. Do I just replay and it unlocks a new partner or is there another mechanic? auto or selecting the person?

I notice nanako has an outfit on her results screen but she's not a character in the shop (unless I overlooked it which is possible). Guessing its a story mode unlock?

who are the 2 unlockable characters for finishing story mode? I'm guessing
Margaret and Adachi?

Is marie in the game outside the DLC song?

all of the notes have a line with them too that look like the scratch notes. am I supposed to scratch with each note too or just the blue + fever notes?

how do I unlock MORE of the partners for the dances? I do the song once on auto, it unlocks whoever showed up in the song as an option. Do I just replay and it unlocks a new partner or is there another mechanic? auto or selecting the person?

I notice nanako has an outfit on her results screen but she's not a character in the shop (unless I overlooked it which is possible). Guessing its a story mode unlock?

Margaret and Adachi?

- That's just a visual indicator to help you, only the blue and fever rings are scratch notes

- You have to play the song on different difficulties to unlock partners

- not sure about nanako

- Margarate and
Kanamin

- Nope

pariah164

Margaret and Adachi?

- Just the blue and fever notes.

- Beat the songs on higher difficulties.

- Story mode unlock, yes.

-
You can unlock Kanami and Nanako. You unlock Margaret by buying a broach in the item shop after you beat the story.

- No, sadly.

EDIT: Ninja'd, goddamn.

Astral

Yukiko is actually kinda dumb. She's such an airhead. Everything that comes out of her mouth in the story is unintentionally (on her part) silly as fuck. I don't remember her being such an idiot lol. It's endearing though.

ChrisD

After reading the combo talk on the last page I ran a quick test.

Your Affection has 203 notes.

Your Affection (Easy):

193 Perfects
10 Greats

King Crazy

No score altering items.

Score -- 696,298

Your Affection (Easy):

198 Perfects
4 Greats
1 Miss (first note in the song)

Combo never dropped past the miss.
No score-altering items.

Score -- 690,694

Your Affection (Easy):

199 Perfect
3 Great
1 Miss (on the 102nd note)

Combo never dropped past the miss.
No score-altering items.

Score -- 358,498(!)

So, even though the last run was objectively better than the second with one more perfect, it was DRAMATICALLY lower due to the placement of the missed note.

They really put too much weight on a large combo.

Zareka

What in the fresh hell is Time to Make History Akira Yamaoka All Night. My brain doesn't work that fast.

To above: Jesus that is a massive difference.

So for the sake of the thread competition - can the in-game scoring be ditched in favor of something more fair? A simple (Perfect * 2)+Great system would do well I think.

FluxWaveZ

So for the sake of the thread competition - can the in-game scoring be ditched in favor of something more fair? A simple (Perfect * 2)+Great system would do well I think.

Nope. It will be absolutely based on the in-game score. Mods are going to be in play and scoring things just based on the ratings like that would water things down significantly.

If the same rule applies to everyone, everyone's on equal grounds anyways.

I suppose that's your right, but I have absolutely no desire to participate under those circumstances. I don't think I need to elaborate on why I feel that way.

Yeah, I can understand that based on the qualms you have with the scoring system.

Nope. It will be absolutely based on the in-game score. Mods are going to be in play and scoring things just based on the ratings like that would water things down significantly.

If the same rule applies to everyone, everyone's on equal grounds anyways.

I suppose that's your right, but I have absolutely no desire to participate under those circumstances. I don't think I need to elaborate on why I feel that way.

DNAbro

Umm so I beat the story mode. Question about something I thought should have been unlocked

Wasn't there supposed to an epilogue unlocked afterwards? or is there something else that unlocks it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
They really put too much weight on a large combo.

This is bumming me out. I already finished all songs in normal and was ready to tackle hard but I can't even beat a singe song due to the hype meter being killed with a single mistake. I enjoy the music a lot, but once Superbeat: Xonic drops at the end of the month I see me dropping this in favor of that and/or Theatrhythm Dragon Quest.

IzzyF3

This is bumming me out. I already finished all songs in normal and was ready to tackle hard but I can't even beat a singe song due to the hype meter being killed with a single mistake. I enjoy the music a lot, but once Superbeat: Xonic drops at the end of the month I see me dropping this in favor of that and/or Theatrhythm Dragon Quest.

Yeah, I'm only getting Not Clear or Billiant with songs on hard. No standard Stage Clear.

pariah164

Umm so I beat the story mode. Question about something I thought should have been unlocked

Wasn't there supposed to an epilogue unlocked afterwards? or is there something else that unlocks it.
You have to beat all 27 songs in Free Dance to unlock the special episode.

ckohler

Even though I'm a total rhythm game noob and still mostly playing on Easy, I can actually tell that I'm improving.

I wish they would offer those in one batch for a flat price instead of three sets. I love Rise's costume.

In Japan, there were 2 ways to get the Sogabe costumes:

a) Buy 3 specific magazines: Persona Magazine, PlayStation Magazine & Dengeki Maoh and get the codes to redeem them

or

b) Wait a couple of weeks and pay ¥800 for the bundle

But yes, I agree that it should've been available as a bundle, and I say this as someone who bought a $20 PSN card last night and binge bought all the costumes/music that was released this week (minus the stuff available from my Disco Fever set).

What in the fresh hell is Time to Make History Akira Yamaoka All Night. My brain doesn't work that fast.

To above: Jesus that is a massive difference.
Even if it is pretty fast compared to the other songs, I think it's a lot easier than many of them on Hard. The patterns aren't very difficult IMO.

Really fun song though. Definitely one of my favorites to play with that Macho Momentum (or whatever it's called) item equipped.

pariah164

In Japan, there were 2 ways to get the Sogabe costumes:

a) Buy 3 specific magazines: Persona Magazine, PlayStation Magazine & Dengeki Maoh and get the codes to redeem them

or

b) Wait a couple of weeks and pay ¥800 for the bundle

But yes, I agree that it should've been available as a bundle, and I say this as someone who bought a $20 PSN card last night and binge bought all the costumes/music that was released this week (minus the stuff available from my Disco Fever set).
I would have happily paid $8 for the bundle. Sigh, ATLUS gotta get that $$$.

SephLuis

This makes me sad as it really is my favorite version of the song. I still like the original, but it's more... poppy when compared to the Reincarnation/Live version and DAN version, both of which are jazz.

The game-length version of the song is amazing but the full-length version (it's 6 min, 14 seconds long) is my wholly preferred version overall though.

I like jazz, but the original has such as melancholic tone that I don't think jazz suits it well.

I thought the Metal Gear Solid composer did a fantastic job with the Heaven remix. It's amazing.

And what do you mean instead of "normal song + remix"? What else is there? I would have liked more original songs, seeing how good of a job Kozuka did with Dance!, Junes Theme (with vocals),
Calystegia
, and the other original tracks in the game.

I mean, instead of having the normal version and a remix of a single song, they could have added more original songs or other tracks (original or remixes).

It was a bummer to eagerly get the next song and discover that it was a remix of one that I played 15 minutes ago.

ohlawd

the hell, how do I improve for Hard mode? fuck All Night. I haven't actually unlocked that but I'll never bother playing on that difficulty

should I be using specific items
how about note speed, what number
am I just making excuses for wanting crutches

can people actually play on high difficulties with Macho Momentum? is such a thing even possible?

*alien dude*

yes, it is

Moonlight

Banned
Her original VA didn't write her own lines.

I seriously doubt Rooney would have made shouting 'meat power' a 'three dimensional' and deeply meaningful line.

the hell, how do I improve for Hard mode? fuck All Night. I haven't actually unlocked that but I'll never bother playing on that difficulty

should I be using specific items
how about note speed, what number
am I just making excuses for wanting crutches

can people actually play on high difficulties with Macho Momentum? is such a thing even possible?

*alien dude*

yes, it is
It takes time. Play a bit every day and play the hardest songs you can barely beat. You'll get better but not in a few hours. Failing is part of the process.

Note speeds and items dont matter

pariah164

Does anyone have a English translation for Calystegia's lyrics? I want to hear just how dark it actually is in contrast to the peppy beat. I heard 'nobody loves me' in English, so I can only assume what the rest says.

In terms of improvement? I disagree. I experienced notable improvement when I went from note speed 7 instead of the default 4.
I like 7 better myself, but I'd assume people have preferences and there's not one magic note speed for everyone. I guess you should play around with it, but you still have to learn to play the hard way :p

Does anyone have a English translation for Calystegia's lyrics? I want to hear just how dark it actually is in contrast to the peppy beat. I heard 'nobody loves me' in English, so I can only assume what the rest says.

I didn't even know it was suppose to be dark. Its so upbeat and cute.

FluxWaveZ

I didn't even know it was suppose to be dark. Its so upbeat and cute.

Did you... skip significant parts of the story? The whole point
of Calystegia is that it was rewritten by Yuko Osada before her death to make it less dark and obscure how she actually felt. Later on, Ochimizu was falsely blamed for changing the lyrics.

Guys, I'm actually kind of liking the story in this

It's not about the gang, so it's after their character arcs have already completed. So it's not rehashing their issues like Arena did. And they don't act like flanderized versions of themselves like they did in Persona Q. Like Chie has only mentioned meat once or twice, and Teddie isn't unbearable and Yosuke isn't whining constantly, and Yukiko isn't in laughing fits.

It feels like a natural continuation of Persona 4, just with them helping out new victims.

Also some of the gang have shown some real growth here, like Rise, Kanji and Naoto wanting to step out of the shadows under the upperclassmen.

Only on Chapter 3, so hopefully it stays in quality.

pariah164

Guys, I'm actually kind of liking the story in this

It's not about the gang, so it's after their character arcs have already completed. So it's not rehashing their issues like Arena did. And they don't act like flanderized versions of themselves like they did in Persona Q. Like Chie has only mentioned meat once or twice, and Teddie isn't unbearable and Yosuke isn't whining constantly, and Yukiko isn't in laughing fits.

It feels like a natural continuation of Persona 4, just with them helping out new victims.

Also some of the gang have shown some real growth here, like Rise, Kanji and Naoto wanting to step out of the shadows under the upperclassmen.

Persona Q was non-canon, so I don't even regard that as an 'official' game. Arena, however was. And I really liked the story too. The new characters fit, and it all felt very genuine and fresh, with hints of the familiar thanks to the original P4 cast.

Did you... skip significant parts of the story? The whole point
of Calystegia is that it was rewritten by Yuko Osada before her death to make it less dark and obscure how she actually felt. Later on, Ochimizu was falsely blamed for changing the lyrics.

Not reading your spoilers,
I know it might have to do with the notes left in those rooms which sounded pretty depressing. I just got to chapter 4.

I've had the entire soundtrack from both disc playing all day and the song came up, and I dig it.

FluxWaveZ

It does, yeah. Overall, I think it's the best of the spin-off stories, if only because of how the Investigation Team are treated as characters. Also, I love that (not really a spoiler, but just in case)
Dojima has a significant role in the story.

I also like the new characters, generally, even though most of them lack depth. Kyoka Ochimizu is an exception, though, and she's one of my favorite overall Persona characters.

Not reading your spoilers,
I know it might have to do with the notes left in those rooms which sounded pretty depressing. I just got to chapter 4.

I've had the entire soundtrack from both disc playing all day and the song came up, and I dig it.

Aaah, sorry about that. I assumed that you were listening to it in-game; totally didn't think about the possibility you'd be listening to it elsewhere. Definitely ignore the spoiler, then!

Persona Q was non-canon, so I don't even regard that as an 'official' game.

Persona Q was canon, though. The developers confirmed that, and it's referenced in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

I would have happily paid $8 for the bundle. Sigh, ATLUS gotta get that $$$.

Oddly enough, even with the $1.99 + $2.99 + $2.99 pricing for all three sets (A, B & C respectively), it's still less than $8... by like $0.03 lol.

I like jazz, but the original has such as melancholic tone that I don't think jazz suits it well.

I kinda get what you're saying though, to be honest, the song itself seems more melancholic to me with the Reincarnation version, due to how "slow" the song seems. But we can agree to disagree really as all versions of Heaven are really cool, including Miku's version.

Ants

Compare the difficulty of this game to, say, Theatrhythm.

I played a build of it at Anime Expo and couldn't quite finish Dance! after two attempts, but i was playing 2 feet from a widescreen television so I had to actually move my head to see all the notes. I think that was part of the problem. I probably won't buy the game though if that difficulty is consistent.

I played a build of it at Anime Expo and couldn't quite finish Dance! after two attempts, but i was playing 2 feet from a widescreen television so I had to actually move my head to see all the notes. I think that was part of the problem. I probably won't buy the game though if that difficulty is consistent.

The build at AX wasn't that great (especially since I already had the Japanese version in hand but wanted to try the English build) but playing on the tv was worse due to input lag.

As far as difficulty, I have a much easier time playing this than I had with Theatrhythm oddly enough.

SephLuis

Theatrhythm is like swimming in a kid's pool and P4D is like throwing you in the raging ocean =P

Hyperbole, but I think this can get much more difficult than FFT CC. While FFT only went to hard and the songs are short, this only has more complex beat maps and some songs are also quite long. It doesn't help that you have to adjust to the UI.

I'm used to the Hatsune Miku Project Diva games and I had only a little trouble adapting. For first time players though, I can see them getting used to easy/normal and having more problems when transitioning to hard and all night difficulties. After those transitions, I doubt you will see some music that is impossible.

P4D is much less forgiving than Theatrhythm when it comes to passing songs, at least if you're at an appropriate level. On the other hand, I feel like the hit windows are more generous here.

Theatrhythm is kind of inconsistent difficulty wise on the hardest setting. There's a few tracks that I'd say are harder than anything in P4D, but then I never really went for Perfect clears there as much as I did here.

Top Bottom