• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Dancing All Night |OT| Aha! Is This Our Dance?

Ants

I can clear most of Theatrhythm on Ultimate but I don't play many rhythm games. Pretty much my experience is limited to Theatrhythm (Ultimate is a reasonable challenge to me) and EBA (Sweatin is a reasonable challenge to me).

But it's Persona, so.

Flarin

wd0paNV.png

I'm not starting this again just yet, but I am putting up a poll for which song should be chosen for the competition next: http://goo.gl/9GiA3Z

The poll ends tonight at 11 PM EDT. I'll probably start the new competition tomorrow for whichever song wins. They were pretty much selected at random except for Dance!, the theme song for the game (though it was also the song used in the first competition).

Two competitions were held previously in the import OT:

PREVIOUS COMPETITION RESULTS

Junes! Also, how did you verify scores? Real pictures with GAF tags or just screenshots and honor system?

Jintor

Like re combos, on the other hand, git gud

I don't expect to one and done king crazies you know

There's also something about maintaining a combo in gaming in general that I just really enjoy

FluxWaveZ

Junes! Also, how did you verify scores? Real pictures with GAF tags or just screenshots and honor system?

The game has online leaderboards, so people take an in-game screenshot of how it looks like on the "Online" section of their scores. You can see how the images were submitted through the previous competition ranking links.

After binge buying all the costume DLC off PSN, there was something oddly satisfying about Nanako dancing to the Junes theme while wearing the Lawson costume...

Wanted to mess around with mods some more.

Apologies for the quality. Don't have anything to record besides my Note 3, lol. (Really should invest in a Vita capture card...)

Song: Pursuing My True Self (Shinichi Osawa Remix) on All Night difficulty.

Playing with the following mods:

The Fickle Way
Sensei Vanishes
Sensei's Return
Man's Whimsy
Note speed: 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnm0idtN1Cs

Question, I have a higher score already on this song. If I wanted a recording of a song with mods (like this one, for example) to be on the leaderboards, I would have to beat my current score and overwrite it, correct?

Hey Flux, what mods did you use for your high score on Pursuing My True Self (Shinichi Osawa Remix)? Was it just Macho Momentum? Just wondering.

Choosing a higher Note Speed will definitely help some of you guys who may be struggling. It will spread out the notes a bit so things don't feel so cluttered. Turn down the brightness as well. I never messed with the brightness until a few moments ago and now I'll always keep it at 0.

FluxWaveZ

Question, I have a higher score already on this song. If I wanted a recording of a song with mods (like this one, for example) to be on the leaderboards, I would have to beat my current score and overwrite it, correct?

The game gives you the option to overwrite any high score you previously had when you finish a song, so you don't need to get a higher score than your previous one for it to appear on the leaderboards.

Hey Flux, what mods did you use for your high score on Pursuing My True Self (Shinichi Osawa Remix)? Was it just Macho Momentum? Just wondering.

No idea, really. It could have just been that or some other stuff mixed in. You can download another player's replay on the leaderboards to see how they played a song.

I'm having fun, but I still can't get over the new crappy voices. They're imposters, and it really takes me out of the game, which is why I have only just completed Chapter 1, and have spent a lot of time in the free dance mode where I've gotten enough money to unlock almost all the outfits and 2/3rds of the accessories. I really like the books that can add challenge to songs.

pariah164

I'm having fun, but I still can't get over the new crappy voices. They're imposters, and it really takes me out of the game, which is why I have only just completed Chapter 1, and have spent a lot of time in the free dance mode where I've gotten enough money to unlock almost all the outfits and 2/3rds of the accessories. I really like the books that can add challenge to songs.
Turn off the voices.

Hubb

Finished story mode a little while ago. At first I wanted it done so I could move on to Free Mode, and now that it is over I want more...

Guess it is time to pick up Persona Q, or replay P4G.

batrush

I generally dislike rhythm games with long tracks but I'm liking this one. Offers a decent challenge. The track list is underwhelming though. Hopefully we see an expansion or w/e.

Bane

So does the update do anything other than adding some option? When I first started playing today I bumped the speed up to 7 to give it a shot and was okay with it. But now after the update I'm really struggling with speed 4. It's really got me frustrated now and there's a definite change in how well I'm doing before and after update.

I'm really surprised they didn't put a calibration mode in for PTV players.

Anyone have images of the Persona Classics set? I assume it's P1 and P2 characters, but I can't find good shots to see how it was done.

Grisby

Fun stuff. I'm getting better.

I kind of wish the scenes were a little more animated, like the bosses at least. Had to dim the brightness as this game is a migraine trigger. Must be all the fever screens and white transitions (wwwwhyyyy).

Guess Who

Banned
examples please

I don't have any particular problems with 'made up beats on top of the original song' so long as they're still rhythmic

1. Signs of Love (Reincarnation) uses a swing rhythm; the chart only uses straight quarter and eighth notes for basically the entire song making it feel incredibly arhythmic and awkward.

2. This section of Shadow World has exactly one instrument playing but a very simple pattern, which the chart matches for the first few notes only to suddenly change to being totally random notes that don't match anything playing at all. In general this speaks to a problem P4D charts have where they will randomly go from trying to match something in the song to just doing their own random thing with no real warning or transition, totally breaking any flow.

3. The first notes of Maze of Life's chorus are charted as "da da dada"; the actual notes are "da dada da" ("this carou sel", not "this car ousel"). There's lots of examples of this kind of thing, even just in Maze of Life (the verses are awful about this), wherein the chart notes roughly match something being played in the song but are just slightly off. Like these two notes, which should be on two quarter notes to match "our lives" but are charted as two eighth notes in quick succession. The second note matches "lives" correctly but the first note is totally off-rhythm.

4. Time to Make History (Akira Yamaoka Remix) is 90% garbage. It would probably be quicker to list off what parts of this chart actually make sense than don't. You could mute the song entirely and just put on a metronome at the same BPM and get basically the same experience playing this chart.

I could spend all day poring through YouTube videos and timestamping stupid shit this game does, but it's not worth my time, frankly. In general the whole game feels like it was charted by people with a poor understanding of music who just put notes roughly where they thought they sounded right (but were often slightly off) and then just dumped in some quarter and eighth notes throughout the rest of the song and called it a day. Speaking of which, is there a single note charted on anything finer than an eighth note in this whole game? Any dotted eighth notes? Any sixteenth notes? Even the Fog remix chart, a song which climaxes in a wailing guitar tapping solo, doesn't go finer than eighth notes, which is baffling.

sjay1994

Story mode ending spoilers

So, does Margaret tell every random guest to the velvet room how much of a big dick G Yu is?

As someone new to rhythm games, I was able to get the hang of easy mode pretty quickly... but wow the jump to normal is significant.

Also, out of all the new characters introduced in these P4 spinoffs, Kanami is definitely the best, despite her groups stage gimmick creeping me out at first.

Jintor

i hadn't noticed the stuff about shorter than eights but now that you point it out it seems kinda obvious (from memory anyway, can't check right now)

SephLuis

I could spend all day poring through YouTube videos and timestamping stupid shit this game does, but it's not worth my time, frankly. In general the whole game feels like it was charted by people with a poor understanding of music who just put notes roughly where they thought they sounded right (but were often slightly off) and then just dumped in some quarter and eighth notes throughout the rest of the song and called it a day. Speaking of which, is there a single note charted on anything finer than an eighth note in this whole game? Any dotted eighth notes? Any sixteenth notes? Even the Fog remix chart, a song which climaxes in a wailing guitar tapping solo, doesn't go finer than eighth notes, which is baffling.

My musical knowledge is absolute zero, but I noticed the errors on maze of life after you mentioned it.

ChrisD

I knew Maze of Life felt off, but I'm no music enthusiast so I thought I was just missing something. Nice to hear from someone who knows what they're talking on.

It's one of my favorite songs, too...

Lusankya

the hell, how do I improve for Hard mode? fuck All Night. I haven't actually unlocked that but I'll never bother playing on that difficulty

should I be using specific items
how about note speed, what number
am I just making excuses for wanting crutches

can people actually play on high difficulties with Macho Momentum? is such a thing even possible?

*alien dude*

yes, it is

You will improve by playing a lot.

From my experience with Elite Beat Agents it's normal that you start a song on hard and can fail in the first 10-20 seconds a couple of times. After a while you will manage to get pretty far and eventually will beat it. Later you will easily breeze through it and will ask yourself how you could ever fail at such an easy song?

For the higher difficulties it's important you play by hear and not by eye. Even though the beat map doesn't necessarily fit the song exactly it's still in rhythm, which makes it very easy to memorize. (Well, except for the ones mentioned above I guess :D I am not too far in this game myself.)

Funny note: After I played EBA and Ouendan for many, many hours I actually found it more difficult to perfectly finish the songs on easy compared to hard/insane.

pariah164

The problem I have is, the more I play this game, the more I want to go back and play P4G again. I still haven't platinum'd Golden, so...

hamchan

The problem I have is, the more I play this game, the more I want to go back and play P4G again. I still haven't platinum'd Golden, so...

Same. I've finished P4 twice and watched Giant Bomb play through it one and a half times but I'm feeling the urge to revisit and go for the plat.

pariah164

Same. I've finished P4 twice and watched Giant Bomb play through it one and a half times but I'm feeling the urge to revisit and go for the plat.
My current save file is on like, runthrough number seven. I've played the game so damn many times.

You know what, screw it, I'll play it some tomorrow.

Finally beat Heaven on hard after failing for 3 days straight and I'm better at the game for it.....Still hate the way the game scores you though.

ChrisD

Same deal here, except I've never even made it past the Bad Ending. Seeing all of the character progression that apparently went down and hearing songs I never heard in P4G has me really wanting to go for another play. The only hang-up is if I should play on Easy so I can just breeze through and play solely for story, or Hard so it's an actual game...

On DAN, this story is getting a tad too repetitive. Having a few different pictures would go a long way. Seeing the same tied up Shadows, the same sparkling picture, and the same red room gets tedious.

At least the character banter is good. Mostly on Rise's side.

1. Signs of Love (Reincarnation) uses a swing rhythm; the chart only uses straight quarter and eighth notes for basically the entire song making it feel incredibly arhythmic and awkward.

2. This section of Shadow World has exactly one instrument playing but a very simple pattern, which the chart matches for the first few notes only to suddenly change to being totally random notes that don't match anything playing at all. In general this speaks to a problem P4D charts have where they will randomly go from trying to match something in the song to just doing their own random thing with no real warning or transition, totally breaking any flow.

3. The first notes of Maze of Life's chorus are charted as "da da dada"; the actual notes are "da dada da" ("this carou sel", not "this car ousel"). There's lots of examples of this kind of thing, even just in Maze of Life (the verses are awful about this), wherein the chart notes roughly match something being played in the song but are just slightly off. Like these two notes, which should be on two quarter notes to match "our lives" but are charted as two eighth notes in quick succession. The second note matches "lives" correctly but the first note is totally off-rhythm.

4. Time to Make History (Akira Yamaoka Remix) is 90% garbage. It would probably be quicker to list off what parts of this chart actually make sense than don't. You could mute the song entirely and just put on a metronome at the same BPM and get basically the same experience playing this chart.

Holy shit that Time To Make History chart is basically treating the player's hit confirm sounds as a totally separate instrument with nothing to actually follow.

hamchan

So now that I'm 11 hours into it, finished story mode, all the Hard songs, halfway into All Night difficulty, I have to say I am really enjoying it.

Presentation is top notch. Persona music is great. Gameplay is fun on hard and above.

What I dislike is that it feels a bit barebones. Compared to other rhythm games like Project Diva, Taiko V and IA/VT the amount of content seems very small. This costing $10 more than the usual Vita game doesn't help too.

Also the story mode. The story wasn't great and it was a bit too repetitive. The inability to change the note charts Hard made it boring to play too. I would have loved something like the Donder Quest in Taiko, which had RPG stats and extra post-story hard missions that could have been taken.

This is a good game. I just wish there was more. Maybe there will be some day if they make another franchise out of Persona 5.

Zareka

Man, Time to Make History All Night mode with Macho Momentum on is so freakin fun. I don't give a damn about comboing but I'm pretty pleased with how much I'm managing to hit.

Am I the only to find it hard to follow the notes? Having to react at the edges instead of the center means I need to search for notes more often.
I found it really confusing at first and I still do find myself almost missing notes if I don't already have them memorised. When I get really into a song though, eyes glazing over kind of deal, I find myself staring dead centre at the screen. It's difficult to get used to but if you can concentrate enough it's actually a really effective way of keeping an eye on everything.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Am I the only to find it hard to follow the notes? Having to react at the edges instead of the center means I need to search for notes more often.

Man I'm kinda glad that I got to finish chapters 2 and 3 from the story. It was really beginning to get frustratingly repetitive. The story up until then had me pretty satisfied, but goddamn at these 2 chapters. They dragged it for waaay too long. Hopefully the rest of the game isn't like this.

hamchan

Very easy platinum. Took 12 hours just playing the game naturally. Easiest rhythm game to get a plat so far. If you can play on All Night you get money so fast that the store can be sold out quickly. You can just stick to normal and a few songs on hard and still get the plat though.

Expect that percentage to get a lot bigger over the next few days.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

Thanks for your effort. Shame. =(

Very easy platinum. Took 12 hours just playing the game naturally. Easiest rhythm game to get a plat so far. If you can play on All Night you get money so fast that the store can be sold out quickly. You can just stick to normal and a few songs on hard and still get the plat though.

Expect that percentage to get a lot bigger over the next few days.

How hard is it to unlock All Night? I take it by that duration you don't have to get all the way through story?

Top Bottom