• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit: Become Human (Quantic Dream) Announced for PS4

Man I just watched Ex Machina for the first time thanks to this trailer and now I'm even more hyped for the game!

Hopefully Cage and his fellow writers can pull off a really meaningful story because the way Ex Machina unfolded (after feeling like another "android story" initially) was magical.

UrbanRats

Man I just watched Ex Machina for the first time thanks to this trailer and now I'm even more hyped for the game!

Hopefully Cage and his fellow writers can pull off a really meaningful story because the way Ex Machina unfolded (after feeling like another "android story" initially) was magical.
Except it is "another Android story".
Fun thriller though.

Melchiah

"We didn't want it to be sci-fi". Proceeds to talk about his game in a futuristic Detorit with Androids using "existing technology".
I get what he's maybe trying to say, he wants it to me more down to earth than Alien Kung Fu fights, but it's still Science FIction.
We can only hope this is just a language barrier or something....

...I'm genuinely worried he doesn't know what Sci Fi is.

Still unsure why Detroit would be the center for robotics, current explanation seems to be "because industry and creative people live there". Actually a bit heartfelt, could get on board if they followed that thread. But he does realize they're mostly famous for cars right? Would have thought something like Silicon Valley was the obvious choice.
But we'll see, maybe the writers have a good grasp on the city, it'd be disasterious to name somethign after a specific place, then botch your representation.

Sci-fi is a broad genre, which includes many different themes, but sometimes people interpret it's only about space, aliens and whatnot, like my girlfriend. That's why it's always hard to convince her to watch a sci-fi film with me, eventhough she's enjoyed some of them. =) It could be, that Cage views sci-fi in somewhat similar manner, and might think the label comes with negative connotations, despite of similarly themed Blade Runner being labelled as one. Detroit seems to be a bit more down to earth though.

People have a bad habit of misrepresenting Cage's intentions. He doesn't claim to be making great works of literature. He writes pulpy genre stories about serial killers, ghosts, robots, etc. His defining interest is in the art and technology behind depicting emotions in games including the use of performance capture, animation and rendering technology to enable a greater range than possible before. Clearly that has been twisted into this cartoonish accusation that he thinks he's James Joyce, or whatever.

I guess it derives from the hate. When you're against something, you tend to see it in an unflattering light, no matter the circumstances.

Replicant

I HATED that girl in the Following, super annoying character.

I only hate her in that show because she's in the way of two hot male characters from being with one another. :p

But otherwise, the fact that she managed to make her character despicable is a testament to her acting skill. So I'm sure Kara is in good hands.

Are any of the american writers actually from Detroit? Plus although David Cage is not the only writer, you'd never know that from this trailer. It still has all the things that make a david cage game, the stilted dialogue, the message being way too obvious, the slow way that the protagonist talks etc.

I mean repetition is your forte -- you're such a fan of Assassin's Creed I figured you'd welcome stilted dialogue, poor gameplay mechanics and terribly uninteresting protagonists.

Magwik

Banned
Sci-fi is a broad genre, which includes many different themes, but sometimes people interpret it's only about space, aliens and whatnot, like my girlfriend. That's why it's always hard to convince her to watch a sci-fi film with me, eventhough she's enjoyed some of them. =) It could be, that Cage views sci-fi in somewhat similar manner, and might think the label comes with negative connotations, despite of similarly themed Blade Runner being labelled as one. Detroit seems to be a bit more down to earth though.
Detroit is the easiest city to rebuild, that's why. All of the dead space, the cheap property, the need for a greater system in place. The people and leadership would welcome it with open arms.

HORRORSHØW

From what I've heard: it does not.
Word is on the street that it's currently only running on a very beefy PC...
tumblr_nuwn12D2FN1u60o27o1_250.gif

plausible. probable even, but i'd like a source

Shito

Grimløck;183362576 said:
tumblr_nuwn12D2FN1u60o27o1_250.gif

plausible. probable even, but i'd like a source
Heard this from people working at Quantic.
I'm not saying this is a 100% fact, just echoing what has been told to me, so take all of this with a grain of salt.
It does seem highly plausible though, and it doesn't mean they won't be able to achieve that kind of visual fidelity on PS4: Quantic is very good at pushing the limits.

HORRORSHØW

yeah, i agree. in fact, i would assume it was running on pc, too. i just wanted to hear it straight from the horses's mouth, so to speak.

Melchiah

I'm not saying this is a 100% fact, just echoing what has been told to me, so take all of this with a grain of salt.
It does seem highly plausible though, and it doesn't mean they won't be able to achieve that kind of visual fidelity on PS4: Quantic is very good at pushing the limits.

Yeah, so far their games have surpassed the trailers in visual fidelity, but there's always a first time for everything.

Well TBH I dont see anything that crazy going on in the trailer.

It very much looks like the next step up from Beyond Two Souls. The biggest change seems to be the scope of the scenes if those city vista shots are actually going to be playable areas.

Trailer seems easily doable on PS4. Especially if its letterboxed like Beyond was.

UrbanRats

I guess it derives from the hate. When you're against something, you tend to see it in an unflattering light, no matter the circumstances.

Nah, he's had his fair share or pretentious moments in interviews, through the years.
It's not just "haters gonna hate", though sure there is some of that going on as always (this is true for many cases, see Ubisoft, but it's not completely unjustified or coming from nowhere).

This is the first Quantic Dream game I've ever been excited for. So happy they capitalised on the awesome base established by Kara.

Love the concept, the actress, everything. So hyped.

Micerider

Well, the way you put it sounds like they are cheating but it's normal at this stage of development that they don't have a build optimized to run in good conditions on PS4.

And yes "captured in engine" precisely means that: "it's not yet on PS4, but at least it's running on the tools we use to make the game".

Facial animation and geometric complexity on faces seems to have taken a step back from their original showing a few years ago.

Perhaps that will change in the span of the development though.

Facial animation and geometric complexity on faces seems to have taken a step back from their original showing a few years ago.

Sorcerer's characters had over a million polys each no? Can't imagine they could pour those kind of resources into a game which has a much larger scope.

Melchiah

Nah, he's had his fair share or pretentious moments in interviews, through the years.
It's not just "haters gonna hate", though sure there is some of that going on as always (this is true for many cases, see Ubisoft, but it's not completely unjustified or coming from nowhere).

I think that some people take it far too personally and emotionally. His comments aren't much different from others, who try to portray their creations grander than they might be, when they're advertising their upcoming products. It's just that his words are take more as an offense to how some view games should be, and perhaps these kind of games are seen as a threat to their hobby. There's room for all kinds of games, and QD's games won't take anything away from anyone. f you don't like, don't play it. It's simple as that.

I'm personally going to play the game, hoping it will be as enjoyable as Heavy Rain and Beyond were. It's just light entertainment, like the majority of games, nothing more.

Floex

Unless someone else is writing the script, you might as well go and watch Ex Machina again.

Unless someone else is writing the script, you might as well go and watch Ex Machina again.
A big chunk of the script is written by other people yes. One of them lives right next door to Detroit too.

The Sorcerer had a million polys on each character. If those big areas in the trailer will be playable there is no way it can be done. I think the Sorcerer was a demo on what they can achieve in indoor areas and I'm pretty sure they could and probably will match that on Detroit. But for the open areas it seems they placed the bar a lot higher and plan to impress on having the most realistic looking crowd ever.

Well, we can see their console debug menu here and it shows that the final scene runs at 27 FPS at the moment:

30IbKIo.png

Other scenes with more going on probably drop lower, hence they opted to capture this trailer in-engine. Beyond's first gameplay showing had massive drops all the way down to 20 FPS including tearing with 30 FPS only fleetingly reached. The final game locks 30 FPS the majority of the time during identical looking scenes and engages vsync too.

Detroit is early 2017 at best, so I'm sure they will get there.

daycru

I think that some people take it far too personally and emotionally. His comments aren't much different from others, who try to portray their creations grander than they might be, when they're advertising their upcoming products. It's just that his words are take more as an offense to how some view games should be, and perhaps these kind of games are seen as a threat to their hobby. There's room for all kinds of games, and QD's games won't take anything away from anyone. f you don't like, don't play it. It's simple as that.

I'm personally going to play the game, hoping it will be as enjoyable as Heavy Rain and Beyond were. It's just light entertainment, like the majority of games, nothing more.
I think his awesome accent grates on a lot of people, makes him come off as snooty.

Jux

Sorcerer's characters had over a million polys each no? Can't imagine they could pour those kind of resources into a game which has a much larger scope.

No it had not. It was a misinterpretation of a number given at the presentation. The figure was "3 millions polygons for the 3 characters for the whole scene". It was the cumulative number of polygons for all the rendering passes that are necessary to render the frame, counting dozens of shadows for each characters. IIRC the poly count for characters in the sorcerer demo was around 100k each at max.

Endo Punk

I wanted Kara to be a game but this trailer was boring narratively, writing didnt win me over as it felt by the numbers. Looks good though. Gonna have a wait and see approach.

A big chunk of the script is written by other people yes. One of them lives right next door to Detroit too.

I'm pretty sure the core of the game, the most important scenes are Cage's job. They hired two writters because they can't have David Cage closed in a room for one year writting everything by himself like he has done in the past. I can imagine this is going to be their biggest game when it comes to text and workload

Man, that's a pretty game. Too bad it's being made by David Cage, or I'd actually consider getting it.
Well, its not made exclusively by Cage this time around. Who knows what comes of it :)

I'm pretty sure the core of the game, the most important scenes are Cage's job. They hired two writters because they can't have David Cage closed in a room for one year writting everything by himself like he has done in the past. I can imagine this is going to be their biggest game when it comes to text and workload
Well it was said they would have a collaborative relationship, where everyone has input on everything.

No it had not. It was a misinterpretation of a number given at the presentation. The figure was "3 millions polygons for the 3 characters for the whole scene". It was the cumulative number of polygons for all the rendering passes that are necessary to render the frame, counting dozens of shadows for each characters. IIRC the poly count for characters in the sorcerer demo was around 100k each at max.
I asked about that back in 2014 and one of the devs was pretty sure it was 100k for just the face and 1m overall for the Sorcerer and Demon. It's all pretty unclear, but thats the best statement we have for it apart from Cage's blog: https://twitter.com/m00tm00t/status/456045883021611008

Jux

Yep, once again, it was for the whole frame, counting the shadows :)
4m poly/frame is what you would expect from a modern game.
Btw he is not from the rendering team, he may have not had the full understanding of the details :)

Yep, once again, it was for the whole frame, counting the shadows :)
4m poly/frame is what you would expect from a modern game.
Btw he is not from the rendering team, he may have not had the full understanding of the details :)
You seem to know your stuff and it makes more common sense than QD going from 30k polys to 1m for a main character, so thank you :)

Thanks for the clarification. Whatever it was, it was hugely impressive, and I agree, surpassing Kara in overall detail. Perhaps there will be a LOD boost to the models in more intimate settings, not unlike what Square does in FF. I'm pretty impressed by just the way Kara's toes flexed in that trailer though. Them digits yo

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

From the original Kara on PS3? Hell no, this looks a ton better. From the Sorcerer demo? Maybe a little but that was a demo limited to a single room with 3 characters on the screen. It was also a demo that was all about showing character's facial expressions, which is not really the case here.

Also, let's not forget that on a scale of CG human realisim, creating a realistic looking old wrinkly man with a dry skin is the easiest, while creating a young girl with a smooth skin soaked in rain is pretty much the hardest to do right. And they did it really damn well. If you remember, sorcerer's face didn't look this convincing in that one scene where he was splashed with water.

It worked in heavy rain since you could also do it with a male character so it felt a shit ton less like creepy voyeurism.
lol, how does that make any difference. Come on now, you're projecting your heterosexual biases heavily there. Besides, it was the same way in Fahrenheit - both games had playable male leads.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I mean repetition is your forte -- you're such a fan of Assassin's Creed I figured you'd welcome stilted dialogue, poor gameplay mechanics and terribly uninteresting protagonists.
Ah yes, I forgot the tradition of pretending like AC is the worst series ever when there's no proper retort for the discussion. And terribly uninteresting protagonists, stilted dialogue, and poor gameplay mechanics? Lol ok.

lol, how does that make any difference. Come on now, you're projecting your heterosexual biases heavily there. Besides, it was the same way in Fahrenheit - both games had playable male leads.
I described EXACTLY what makes it different in that last post. It feels a ton more mundane when both males and females do it, however when a female character has multiple scenes in her underwear as well as 4 minutes worth of shower scenes it feels more like voyeurism instead of us playing a character doing mundane things. There's no heterosexual bias at play here.

HeelPower

I am becoming increasingly obsessed with this game.

I really,really hope it delivers.One of the most intriguing reveals for any game.

When are we expecting a release date ? Fall 2016 ? 2017 ?

Top Bottom