• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 44, 2015

JoseLopez

With the lowest halo opening along with the lowest Assassins Creed opening the other week one thing is clear... This industry is in desperate need of some new AAA IP's.
There like five new aaa new ips coming out next year.
Also this game launching on October was not the greatest of ideas people like me and my friends are waiting till Black Friday to buy xbones and halo 5.

Hasney

There like five new aaa new ips coming out next year.
Also this game launching on October was not the greatest of ideas people like me and my friends are waiting till Black Friday to buy xbones and halo 5.

Don't know if they'll get much lower than HMV at the moment, £259.99

£263.50 for Halo 5 and FIFA at Gamestop.ie.

wapplew

i think we will have a new benchmark in PR now.. Number of step taken after the introduction of number of bullets fired and number of kills made. :)

No need to go that far. Best selling Halo on Xbox one history is cool enough.

Not amazing but really really good still

Also a shame since it's the best Halo since probably CE (imo ofc)

Heh, I really wouldn't say that. I mean this is XB1's hallowed franchise and it's got the worst week 1 of all Halo games. Crazy shit.

I'm sure it'll be a good legacy game with sales going into 2016 but those numbers don't match the precedent set by Halo..

It'll get even worse once Black Ops 3 hits shelves.

From a business perspective SO, Ryse didn't really set the world on fire and probably won't be franchises. Ori is great, sold well and MS should scoop up Moon Studio. That said it's no replacement if Halo/Gears/Fable continue to disappoint (that said we should wait for US sales of Halo 5).

Next year: Scalebound is my most anticipated XB1 game, but it's Platinum and won't do the numbers MS needs. Recore is made by a studio that made IMO the worst Arkham game and creative is handled by Comcept, which is also very spotty. Sea of Thieves might go into closed beta in 2016 but I doubt it launches before 2017.

That leaves QB, which could be MS' Uncharted and I hope it is. I also think Halo will be Destiny-fied for its next installment and Fable 4 might already be in full production. At least I hope it is because Legends won't cut it.

I agree I can't see any of these becoming staple franchises. And I'm sure QB will be a one off like their 360 title. It's nice they are investing in new IP but none look to be in a position to stand along side Halo/Forza/Gears never mind help to replace them.

Fun fact, Destiny also sold around 150,000 units in its debut week.

Code:
[Week 37, 2014] 02 (NE) XBO DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 150,000 / NEW

Ooof!

Kathian

Banned
Alone, we had the splits.

Ouch. I think the worse thing is that by selling so close to MCC it suggests Halo has found itself in more of a niche; not really selling to the wider public but a core group who likely have Xbox Ones already and who could yet still be alienated by changes to the franchise.

Not a great place to find your flagship software title.

Kyonashi

I took the liberty in updating some of those series stats, Bruno. Did a little digging and found this (Numbers rounded for obfuscation, but more accurate than previous.)

Code:
[Week 11, 2002] HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED (MICROSOFT) – NO DATA
[Week 46, 2004] HALO 2 (MICROSOFT) - 260,000
[Week 39, 2007] HALO 3 (MICROSOFT) - 370,000
[Week 09, 2009] HALO WARS (MICROSOFT) - 65,000
[Week 39, 2009] HALO 3: ODST (MICROSOFT) - 212,000
[Week 37, 2010] HALO: REACH (MICROSOFT) - 390,000
[Week 46, 2011] HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED ANNIVERSARY – 48,000
[Week 45, 2012] HALO 4 (MICROSOFT) - 336,000
[Week 46, 2014] HALO: THE MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION (MICROSOFT) – 96,000
[Week 44, 2015] HALO 5: GUARDIANS (MICROSOFT) - 150,000

madmackem

Wow that is super super bad for halo, so half of a mainline halo sales?. The attach rate is pretty terrible too given install base in uk. Halo really is falling in popularity over here.

I think 360 being stronger for Minecraft will pay off handsomely for MS later in the gen when the Bone gets a redesign or heavy price drop.

Not to say people haven't made the swap. I just think kids are less likely to do so.

I couldn't say where Halo fans have gone but it seems clear they have lost touch with their core, dedicated audience in the chase of wider appeal. Also coming off MCC I would be hesitant too. Looking forward to next week's numbers.

How closely have Halo games launched with COD games in the past? Cuz they're pretty darn close this year. Not to mention Battlefront in a couple weeks too. I don't think many people are willing to buy 3 FPS games that close together.

noobie

Banned
thinking if i need to revise down my NPD prediction for October. UK is normally a replica of USA.

Btw if anyone knows if XBO hardware was ahead of PS4 this week or Halo sold to any existing user base only.. May be we will get hardware update tomorrow with MCV telling XBO surpassed 2 million mark

geordiemp

Fun fact, Destiny also sold around 150,000 units in its debut week.

Code:
[Week 37, 2014] 02 (NE) XBO DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 150,000 / NEW

Was that just disks though...? In which case Destiny physical + digital would of sold more ?

From a business perspective SO, Ryse didn't really set the world on fire and probably won't be franchises. Ori is great, sold well and MS should scoop up Moon Studio. That said it's no replacement if Halo/Gears/Fable continue to disappoint (that said we should wait for US sales of Halo 5).

Next year: Scalebound is my most anticipated XB1 game, but it's Platinum and won't do the numbers MS needs. Recore is made by a studio that made IMO the worst Arkham game and creative is handled by Comcept, which is also very spotty. Sea of Thieves might go into closed beta in 2016 but I doubt it launches before 2017.

That leaves QB, which could be MS' Uncharted and I hope it is. I also think Halo will be Destiny-fied for its next installment and Fable 4 might already be in full production. At least I hope it is because Legends won't cut it.

Ryse did good numbers at launch, it's problems were not sales. And regardless of how SO sold its still a big new IP they launched, the criteria wasn't "new IP that sold well".

State of decay sold 2m when they launched it if that helps.

Plenty of games do differently to how people expect, the point was ms are investing in new IP and those games didn't pop up over night. Microsofts point of view should be building these new ips up and sticking with them once they launch.
Also qb = uncharted? I'm lost on that comparison

Hasney

thinking if i need to revise down my NPD prediction for October. UK is normally a replica of USA.

Btw if anyone knows if XBO hardware was ahead of PS4 this week or Halo sold to any existing user base only.. May be we will get hardware update tomorrow with MCV telling XBO surpassed 2 million mark

MS aren't doing console numbers, so it depends if someone else has their hands on the numbers and are allowed to release it.

Looking at how well Watch Dogs did and the small drop for AC, I don't know how it'll shake out because it looks like the PS4 bundles sold damn well.

How closely have Halo games launched with COD games in the past? Cuz they're pretty darn close this year. Not to mention Battlefront in a couple weeks too. I don't think many people are willing to buy 3 FPS games that close together.

Looks like in the war between CoD and Battlefront Halo is getting left in the dust. I'm thinking MS should've delayed Halo 5 until March 2016, when people would be getting tired of BF/CoD and be in the mood for a new FPS.

Kyonashi

Wait what, we have a gfk source now? Wow

I don't know, I like helping you guys out but I don't know how often I'll be able to give numbers. I don't want to get anyone in trouble. Being vague may be possible, but I'm not stepping on any toes or pissing off GfK (how likely is it they're aware of this thread?). Your advice is appreciated.

I think on rough workings, 360 was at the 2m milestone, about 2 and a half years after launch. Where Halo 3 came out just under 2 years after launch so a fair bit under 2m at that point.

The XBone should be approaching 2m, 2 years after launch along with Halo 5. So the XBone install base is slightly larger at this point in time vs 360.

Hasney

Brought up in one of the other Halo sales threads, bit do we know if the 1TB bundle is counted? They went out a week early.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't know, I like helping you guys out but I don't know how often I'll be able to give numbers. I don't want to get anyone in trouble. Being vague may be possible, but I'm not stepping on any toes or pissing off GfK (how likely is it they're aware of this thread?). Your advice is appreciated.

Oh well, considering the state of the platform, and the game I'll request, hopefully it's not pissing off GFK answering my request...Bayonetta 2 LTD numbers, pu-lease :p

Even if you can't answer for obvious reasons, still glad you're here and giving us numbers as much as you can

Chobel

No "2 million XBO sold" PR? I guess I lost that bet XD

EDIT: Oops, The deadline is Black Friday and not Halo 5 release. I guess I still have a chance.

With all the buzz around it i sure thought Halo 5 would be opening higher.

Yeah, holy shit that's poor for it. I would have thought it'd be at least comparable to the lowest-selling instalment in the main series.

Why did Reach sell so well?

Why wouldn't it? It was heavily marketed and got great review scores. Not sure how fans feel about the MP, but the campaign is definitely one of the best in the series.

Looks like in the war between CoD and Battlefront Halo is getting left in the dust. I'm thinking MS should've delayed Halo 5 until March 2016, when people would be getting tired of BF/CoD and be in the mood for a new FPS.

But there's no point launching in pre-season.

kadotsu

Banned
Brought up in one of the other Halo sales threads, bit do we know if the 1TB bundle is counted? They went out a week early.

You could look in last weeks chart thread. No Halo 5 in the charts, so this week includes every single Halo bundle and retail copy.

Kyonashi

Oh well, considering the state of the platform, and the game I'll request, hopefully it's not pissing off GFK answering my request...Bayonetta 2 LTD numbers, pu-lease :p

Even if you can't answer for obvious reasons, still glad you're here and giving us numbers as much as you can

I'm not sure if you want to know those. ;)

Bruno MB

Fortunately (in this case) these threads attract a low number of traffic (I don't remember seeing any media outlet reporting on accurately extrapolated sales data from here) and your contribution is very much appreciated, but I would advised you to be a bit more wary even if this means to get less data. Just post what you feel it won't get you in trouble, don't feel pressured by people asking you about how this or that game did.

Loris146

Thanks man :)

Yikes at those Halo 5 numbers. I was expecting them to be down due to the smaller install base, lack of buzz and downward trend the series has been on but not to that extent.

Kyonashi

Fortunately (in this case) these threads attract a low number of traffic (I don't remember seeing any media outlet reporting on accurately extrapolated sales data from here) and your contribution is very much appreciated, but I would advised you to be a bit more wary even if this means to get less data. Just post what you feel it won't get you in trouble, don't feel pressured by people asking you about how this or that game did.

Okay well I'll be here every week anyway, I can't imagine I'll be super forthcoming but I can throw hints and teases. In return would be nice to get you guys opinion on certain titles from time to time. ;)

Top Bottom