• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 3.10 details

SiteSeer

tried dl'ing from pc link since it came up. thanks for the tip about the country codes. just finished my dl from korea in about 1.5 minutes (@ 1.4 mbps), thanks to one of the worlds fastest networks. who says you can't benefit from another country's network infrastructure? :lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Norml said:
Do I just put it right on the flash drive or does it need anything done to it?
thanks btw
It has to be under the following folder structure:

pc_update_clip_diagram_US.jpg

Folder names have to be capitalized and the file name has to be “PS3UPDAT.PUP”.

tirminyl

see5harp said:
Okay I want people to know exactly when I download a demo for PSP. That way when I talk to my old college friends they know that I'm failing at life. Thanks Sony!!

They won't know if you don't turn it on?

Seriously, how can people complain about something they must activate for use. Don't tell me the PSN monkey is pointing a gun at your head forcing you to enter your FB account info?

Downloading PSP update too. Media Go didn't detect the update but the PSP did.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Lindsay said:
btw not that I care but still curious: how will that facebook trophy thing handle secret trophies? Person X got ? for doing ? what a waste of space that would be lol

edgefusion said:
Yaaaay my first Facebooked trophy. Too bad it's a secret trophy so it looks like it reported incorrectly because of the ???. :(

Screenshot2009-11-19at041614.png

That answers my question! How pointless! :lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
welp, does anyone have a non-sony mirror? It's ridiculously slow on all the country downloads.

olimpia84

My download/installation was pretty fast but then again it seems I was one of the first few people that noticed the update was up. Servers are probably being smashed right now.

I changed my tab to orange, I think it looks cool :D
Oh, and I can't really noticed what they changed in the photo section...looks exactly the same to me.

tirminyl

olimpia84 said:
I changed my tab to orange, I think it looks cool :D
Oh, and I can't really noticed what they changed in the photo section...looks exactly the same to me.

What? For photos stored on the PS3, it shows as a grid instead of a list. I would think that is immediately noticeable.

Killthee

tirminyl said:
They won't know if you don't turn it on?

Seriously, how can people complain about something they must activate for use. Don't tell me the PSN monkey is pointing a gun at your head forcing you to enter your FB account info?

Downloading PSP update too. Media Go didn't detect the update but the PSP did.
2coq7w7.jpg

Norml said:
Just 2 folders right?

Make a PS3 folder then put it in a UPDATE folder?
PS3 folder up top, UPDATE folder inside the PS3 folder, actual firmware goes inside the UPDATE folder.

olimpia84

tirminyl said:
What? For photos stored on the PS3, it shows as a grid instead of a list. I would think that is immediately noticeable.

mmm maybe I should go back and check, I do have a bunch of pics stored in the PS3 and didn't see any changes but then again I rarely spend time in the photo section

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
UPDATE... SLOW...

MUST... UPDATE... TO PLAY BAD COMPANY... ARRRRRRRGH

(And I see Sony still hasn't fixed the ticker to be TURNED THE FUCK OFF. FUCK YOU SONY, I HATE YOU
and then come back like an abused battered wife because of some games, goddamn stockholm syndrome for me...
!)

KillerAJD

Man, Sony needs to get the word out more (or maybe my friends are dumbasses) but half of my friends list has asked me where the facebook app. is and how to change the color of their gamer card-thing. :lol I don't have a problem telling them, but is that just because 1) it's updating at night at a weird time, so it kinda sprang on people, 2) Sony just doesn't get out the word of this stuff well enough, or 3) these people just don't read any news? I guess it might be a combination of all three since most of these guys are the "I play Call of Duty, and I kick ass, and I know everything about games!" without really knowing much. Oh, and the color stuff is cool, facebook stuff is...eh, cool idea, but now it's time to annoy my family with updates like they did to me with Farmville stuff! (and yes, I know you can block that shit :p), and I like the way the photos are setup now.

I dont know why every time I turn my PS3 on it says

"The previous operation was canceled. The system is attempting to install again. Do not turn off the system" etc

Than get notice that an error occurred during the operation WTF. I cant even get to the main screen to cancel the installation. What do I do?

AwRy108

KillerAJD said:
Man, Sony needs to get the word out more (or maybe my friends are dumbasses) but half of my friends list has asked me where the facebook app. is and how to change the color of their gamer card-thing. :lol I don't have a problem telling them, but is that just because 1) it's updating at night at a weird time, so it kinda sprang on people, 2) Sony just doesn't get out the word of this stuff well enough, or 3) these people just don't read any news?

Yeah, I could definitely see how your "Average Joe Gamer" would never be able to find the Facebook stuff--it's not exactly out in the open on the XMB. Guess Sony is fine with just relying on word-of-mouth instructions.

Killthee said:
It has to be under the following folder structure:

pc_update_clip_diagram_US.jpg

Folder names have to be capitalized and the file name has to be “PS3UPDAT.PUP”.

ah!

Didn't know about the UPDATE subfolder, thanks!

Killthee

Host Samurai said:
I dont know why every time I turn my PS3 on it says

"The previous operation was canceled. The system is attempting to install again. Do not turn off the system" etc

Than get notice that an error occurred during the operation WTF. I cant even get to the main screen to cancel the installation. What do I do?
Sounds like you might have bricked it : (

Try going into the diagnostics menu (Flip the rocker in the back off then on, hold the power sensor till the system beeps three times, let go of it, then hold it again for three beeps) and reinstall the firmware.

Killthee said:
Sounds like you might have bricked it : (

Try going into the diagnostics menu (Flip the rocker in the back off then on, hold the power sensor till the system beeps three times, let go of it, then hold it again for three beeps) and reinstall the firmware.

Ok ill give it a shot. Thanks

EDIT:

Looks like its bricked :(. I am so fucking pissed off right now this is my 2nd god damn PS3 that bricked and this time its because of a fucking mandatory firmware update.

Killthee

Lion Heart said:
Is the AU update file *exactly* like the US one? I dont want some compatibility issues down the line.
FW is WW. All systems use the same firmware and all servers send out the same firmware.

dralla

FL is better, but why the huge gray bar still. i don't get it :[ I don't want to change its colors, I want it to go away

mattp

wow, downloaded it from the us server on my pc and it came down at 1.5mb/sec

ebfore that i tried just doing it on the ps3 and it took foreverrrrrr and crashed after 22% haha

Ashes

Banned
It downloaded pretty fast here. Its about six twenty in the morning here. As its still installing, I'm kinda worried that iplayer might not have a dedicated icon. :(
will update asap... So iplayer is gone from the tv menu for real. :-(

Psn monkey fix this shit.

ps. I see the facebook icon under account management, but nothing there as to how to connect your psn account with facebook. Should that facility not be there?

Raistlin

Dragona Akehi said:
Except it isn't a region block or region coding. They're REGION FREE BLU-RAYS.

Just to clarify for the people that aren't aware of the issue ... it isn't that Sony is actively stopping region-free discs from working (many do) ... the issue is how NTSC PS3's handle PAL (25/50Hz) content.

Onix said:
Just to clarify for the people that aren't aware of the issue ... it isn't that Sony is actively stopping region-free discs from working (many do) ... the issue is how NTSC PS3's handle PAL (25/50Hz) content.

I didnt think that was an issue anymore with hd.

Know what sucks? I'm on business, and won't be able to download and test the new firmware for another 48 hours or so. That means 48 hours of hope. Shit.

androvsky

supermackem said:

It isn't with HD content, that's fine. Many blu-rays still have content encoded in SD, such as extras and trailers. Now, I don't know what exactly is encoded in PAL that's preventing discs from playing at all, I assume it's a studio logo or the Interpol warning or something else that's not skippable that's encoded in PAL.

Raistlin

supermackem said:

It shouldn't be, except that some studios are stupid.

For example, a number of BBC releases are broken. The issue is that they put PAL content on as part of the initial warnings/trailers/loading screens that aren't skippable. Way back when, the PS3 would see that it can't display it ... and skip to the next 'track'. That would either be more trailers or in most cases the main menu.

A previous update (this was a while back), completely fubar'd things. Not only would the above issue occur, but if you selected any 'extras' from a disc that happened to be in PAL, the BluRay would freeze, and eventually crash out to the XMB. They later fixed that specific problem (if you actively select PAL content, it will do nothing for a few seconds, then gracefully return you to the menu you were at) ... but never corrected the issue for PAL on start-up.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Know what sucks? I'm on business, and won't be able to download and test the new firmware for another 48 hours or so. That means 48 hours of hope. Shit.

I can't believe that being a mod on this site, you don't follow what it tells you to do: Believe!

neogaf1.gif
:lol

DoomGyver

Dragona Akehi said:
There is no hope.

for you :)

Onix said:
It shouldn't be, except that some studios are stupid.

For example, a number of BBC releases are broken. The issue is that they put PAL content on as part of the initial warnings/trailers/loading screens that aren't skippable. Way back when, the PS3 would see that it can't display it ... and skip to the next 'track'. That would either be more trailers or in most cases the main menu.

A previous update (this was a while back), completely fubar'd things. Not only would the above issue occur, but if you selected any 'extras' from a disc that happened to be in PAL, the BluRay would freeze, and eventually crash out to the XMB. They later fixed that specific problem (if you actively select PAL content, it will do nothing for a few seconds, then gracefully return you to the menu you were at) ... but never corrected the issue for PAL on start-up.

The most stupid thing being that a NTSC/UC PS3 can handle a PAL signal just fine and convert to NTSC when necessary. SO. STUPID.

Zen

Banned
dralla said:
FL is better, but why the huge gray bar still. i don't get it :[ I don't want to change its colors, I want it to go away

I sort of grew to preferring the uniformity of the old look. In this new version I find the white outlines around the userpics to be distracting.

The new method for viewing pictures is cool, though.

Raistlin

Dragona Akehi said:
The most stupid thing being that a NTSC/UC PS3 can handle a PAL signal just fine and convert to NTSC when necessary. SO. STUPID.

It can? While frame conversion isn't particularly difficult to implement (though looks kind of assy), I wasn't aware of anything demonstrating they had implemented it?

Onix said:
It can? While frame conversion isn't particularly difficult to implement (though looks kind of assy), I wasn't aware of anything demonstrating they had implemented it?

It has a PAL <-> NTSC chip. It can fully convert a straight .VOB file from one of my ripped PAL DVDs and I confirmed it was running 480p at the time. I even managed to get it to do 480i from that. Full colours and the whole bit.

PS: Just got word that I am famous outside of GAF for this issue. Tee hee.

Raistlin

Dragona Akehi said:
It has a PAL <-> NTSC chip. It can fully convert a straight .VOB file from one of my ripped PAL DVDs and I confirmed it was running 480p at the time. I even managed to get it to do 480i from that. Full colours and the whole bit.

PS: Just got word that I am famous outside of GAF for this issue. Tee hee.

Really ... interesting. Hadn't tried any PAL DVD's.

Well, that's fucked up :\

Onix said:
Really ... interesting. Hadn't tried any PAL DVD's.

Well, that's fucked up :\

Note, this is from memory card/stick/usb. If you put in a region free PAL DVD it says "Cannot display PAL broadcast", but a completely unaltered .VOB file runs just fine.

androvsky

Dragona Akehi said:
Note, this is from memory card/stick/usb. If you put in a region free PAL DVD it says "Cannot display PAL broadcast", but a completely unaltered .VOB file runs just fine.

Wow, I did a similar thing with a PAL DVD .VOB rip (Star Wrek: The Pirkinning), but I assumed it was ps3mediaserver that was doing the conversion.

Top Bottom