• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
I read online that if you change your ps5 system settings to lock your resolution to 1440p instead of 4k that you can get 60fps at ultra settings with 1440p instead of 4k.

Is this bullshit? Has anyone tried this?

mystech

Has Bethesda always been this bad and we are just now realizing? I don't get it... Back in the day they were one of my favorite developers. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim were some of my favorite PS3 games. Sure they had some bugs and glitches but it was understandable for the systems we had at the time and the scale of the games. Today, Deathloop left me confused and disappointed, Starfield literally puts me to sleep and the Fallout 4 next gen update crashed on me in the first 30 minutes... At this point I'm not even excited for Elder Scrolls 6.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
32:9 ultrawide looks cool, but the menus are all stretched and sometimes broken... :(

Soodanim

I had the Vivid Fallout and Cheat Terminal (and the 60hz) mods installed on my version and after the update, my old saves were able to load fine.

I did get the warning that some of the mods are not available so there might be issues, but the save itself loaded without any trouble.

I guess the more mods someone had, the more likelihood of it breaking on them.
Saves breaking depends on what a removed mod was doing. If you just swapped out textures, it just won't load new textures anymore and revert to vanilla. If you added objects/items to the world/inventories or there were scripts involved, that's when it starts to get messier because errors start popping up behind the scenes.

Without looking up those mods I couldn't say off the top what it will be like long term but you might be alright.

I must be blind but I BARELY see any difference (minus the FPS ofcourse). Just looking at this video, its such a tiny difference from the original, there is still a ton of blurry washed out textures:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I thought they already did that with Starfield...🤔

I know we like to joke, but Starfield is probably the most polished (at launch) game they've put out, in terms of not having a lot of bugs and shit. I'm sure you'll find some videos showing that, but it as a hell of a lot better than their previous launches for what it's worth.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I've played less than an hour, just got to concord, and already had 3 crashes. It's really putting me off continuing.

Yeah I played for about 5-10 minutes, opened a door and it crashed. I don't even like the game so I am fine waiting for patches.

I had one crash after about 45 minutes on PS5, all I did was try to open the pause menu to manually save my game. Froze. Had to kill the app in the Home screen and that's when the crash report dealio appeared. It was a large crash report too, nearly 1MB.

The Shepard

I had one crash after about 45 minutes on PS5, all I did was try to open the pause menu to manually save my game. Froze. Had to kill the app in the Home screen and that's when the crash report dealio appeared. It was a large crash report too, nearly 1MB.

Mine happened when i was going out the vault or entering a new area. After the initial hour where I had 3 crashes I've had none since, put in 9 hours now. Just past the kellog part. Glad I kept at it as I was gonna drop it.

King Dazzar

On XSX when I used around 20 carefully tested mods, to have it 4k 60fps locked, with auto HDR on top. I got it to the point where I had one crash in a 100+ hr playthrough. So it can be done. I'm glad there's a backlash as it may yet bring us more patches. But my confidence in Bethesda isn't and hasn't been great for a very long time.

You'd hope as a company they'd start to realise that most of the goodwill has been spent and they need to be doing things better. But I suspect they'll carry on as they always have done. They are what they are.

Stafford

Xbox Series X

I tested the game myself now and there is zero difference between performance mode off and on. It definitely isn't 40fps, so quality mode is not working for me. I mean I assume turning performance mode off means it's in quality mode, right?

Xbox Series X

I tested the game myself now and there is zero difference between performance mode off and on. It definitely isn't 40fps, so quality mode is not working for me. I mean I assume turning performance mode off means it's in quality mode, right?
Yeah the performance toggle doesn’t work.

adamsapple

I see, so they messed up, jesus. Do they not test these things? Lmao.

FWIW, the current mode it plays at seems to look and run pretty smooth. Given the choice, I would probably stick to this smooth 60 experience over 30 which doesn't really manifest to much.( although given the choice, I would have loved to keep the original One X version with the 60hz mod above all)

Mr Moose Mr Moose posted screens from the PS5 version, where the toggle works, before and that should show you what I mean:

Fallout4202404252132.jpg

Fallout4202404252133.jpg

Last edited:

Stafford

FWIW, the current mode it plays at seems to look and run pretty smooth. Given the choice, I would probably stick to this smooth 60 experience over 30 which doesn't really manifest to much.( although given the choice, I would have loved to keep the original One X version with the 60hz mod above all)

Mr Moose Mr Moose posted screens from the PS5 version, where the toggle works, before and that should show you what I mean:

Yeah does not seem that big of a difference actually. But the difference might be bigger when seeing it on my big screen QD-OLED. It's still nice that it would be 40fps, anything higher than 30fps is good.

I'm not going for a new playthrough but if I did I probably would opt for that mod that gives you 4K/60fps with ultra settings.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Simple question....if im able to find the PS4 disk version in store and then use that on my PS5, would i get the next gen update for free?

Laptop1991

The update for the GOG version of Fallout 4 is not coming until the 2nd week of may now, but will include bug fixes apparently!, i did it the wrong way round to test this update, i'm not updating Steam yet.

BouncyFrag

So bouncing between the update on XSS and Ps5 they both look the same, with the XSS version running quite smooth with performance mode off, probably due to VRR. So I’ll go with the XSS since mods are better on Xbox. Will wait for things to get smoothed out with the upgrade release.

For the love of all that is holy, name of the mod please ?
That one is: ’Tao’s Catsuits CBBE’, and you need ‘Caliente’s Beautiful Bodies (CBBE) Curvy‘ (you can actually use ‘Slim’ too but it changes your body to ’curvy’ when you wear the clothes).

Other ones are along the same lines:

‘Pampas -CBBE Curvy’ - bunch of different form fitting suits similar but not as shiny

‘Classy Chassis Replacer Outfitter’ this replaces almost all of the clothing in the game to skimpy female versions so all female NPCs will be wearing skimpy clothes.

‘Hair ornaments’ This oddly enough adds tails and cat/dog ears works well with the catsuit (the dog tail works best) 😉

and my personal fav:

’K-Girl Outfits - CBBE Curvy’ - the number of outfits in this is nuts and soo much detail:

N47azyX.jpeg

Oh and the hair is from ‘Ponytail Hairstyles by Azar’ just look for the biggest one for file size.

I’d suggest a skin replacement too but they all cause the game to crash right now on SX.

Almost forgot the most crucial part of all:
‘Girly Animation’ - it changes the animations to be a bit more uhh….girly.

Last edited:
Has Bethesda always been this bad and we are just now realizing? I don't get it... Back in the day they were one of my favorite developers. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim were some of my favorite PS3 games. Sure they had some bugs and glitches but it was understandable for the systems we had at the time and the scale of the games. Today, Deathloop left me confused and disappointed, Starfield literally puts me to sleep and the Fallout 4 next gen update crashed on me in the first 30 minutes... At this point I'm not even excited for Elder Scrolls 6.
I played Arena and Daggerfall on launch. They were incredibly bug-ridden. I think they’ve always been technically challenged, but now they’re just a mess from a creative and organisational level.

King Dazzar

Been rockin and rollin all weekend between this and Stellar Bizzles. Nice to see that videogames are finally back.

Y317GPx.jpeg
fP97zmR.jpeg
DiMpeLb.jpeg
ViD6Vqf.jpeg
ZvGLs9S.jpeg
How's stability been for you? Any issues? I'm finishing off HZD (which is superb on PS5), before jumping fully back in again... I'm looking forward to finally playing a vanilla version with trophies. Having always had to play it modded historically.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
How's stability been for you? Any issues? I'm finishing off HZD (which is superb on PS5), before jumping fully back in again... I'm looking forward to finally playing a vanilla version with trophies. Having always had to play it modded historically.

Been totally stable on performance. Zero crashes. Zero issues. 10 hours in.

The quick load times are a godsend since I’m frequently going back to the Red Rocket to dump materials into the tool box.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Been totally stable on performance. Zero crashes. Zero issues. 10 hours in.

The quick load times are a godsend since I’m frequently going back to the Red Rocket to dump materials into the tool box.
Thanks man. Red Rocket is always one of my early fav settlements. I find the quicker you take over the castle though, the more your effort is better spent locale wise.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Thanks man. Red Rocket is always one of my early fav settlements. I find the quicker you take over the castle though, the more your effort is better spent locale wise.

RR always will be my base of operations. It’s just too convenient. Every workbench is right there. All I build myself is a magazine rack to display all the comics I find, a bed and the bobble head shelf 😂

Having finished this recently (main quest), wasn’t interested in playing this.

But seeing all the bad experiences people are having in this thread, am kinda getting interested in redownloading it.

Might also throw in expansion pass to justify it.

King Dazzar

RR always will be my base of operations. It’s just too convenient. Every workbench is right there. All I build myself is a magazine rack to display all the comics I find, a bed and the bobble head shelf 😂
Yeah I loved it too. I think especially when you start doing no fast travel runs, then closer base of operations become enticing and the castle is a lot bigger, so you can expand into bigger production lines etc. But hey, you can have multiple bases of course. 😎

Filben

Anyone else having that issue on PS5 where it takes waaaay longer than it should if you hit Options to open the main menu? Sometimes it freezes for literally ten seconds before opening up that menu. How hard can it be for a game to open a fucking menu?

adamsapple

They actually did a pretty decent job with the performance of this didn't they

Yes, they did. All in all it's a fairly decent update. No visual overhaul but a good, mostly stable, update with a few outliers, bug fixes and continued mod support.

Absolutely criminal there is no FoV slider on console.

If you're playing the Xbox version, there's mods to increase from 85 to 110. (I recommend 85, anything more can start looking like fish-eye)

Unfortunately no similar mods on the PS version.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Anyone else having that issue on PS5 where it takes waaaay longer than it should if you hit Options to open the main menu? Sometimes it freezes for literally ten seconds before opening up that menu. How hard can it be for a game to open a fucking menu?

Don’t have that issue whatsoever

Mercador

Been playing this afternoon on Steam Deck. Can't believe they haven't even tested the keyboard input, insta crash to desktop. It's incredibly bad, even by Bethesda "standard".

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I am loving it on PS5. 60 FPS and fast loading make a huge difference to me.
Also, I last played it on PS4 Pro on a cheap LCD and now I upgraded to a top-tier OLED. The difference combined is staggering.

This would be me to a T.....I have a PS5 now and a Bravia OLED and i last played it on PS4 with an LCD.

Since im PS+ Essential and dont have my fallout 4 disk anymore id have to pay the $20 to get the PS5 version.

Would you say its worth it to do so if i am going to start a new game all over?

adamsapple

This would be me to a T.....I have a PS5 now and a Bravia OLED and i last played it on PS4 with an LCD.

Since im PS+ Essential and dont have my fallout 4 disk anymore id have to pay the $20 to get the PS5 version.

The GOTY version (with all the DLC) is often on sale for $9.99, give it a few weeks, it might go on sale again (it was on sale a week or two ago)

I would say definitely. I played it on PS4 Pro, so the difference would be even greater for you. It's night and day.

Top Bottom