• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 3.10 details

androvsky said:
Wow, I did the same thing with a PAL DVD (Star Wrek: The Pirkinning), but I assumed it was ps3mediaserver that was doing the conversion.

See? STUPID. Just flip the fucking switch on the bluray firmware area Sony and let us have REGION FREE PAL/NTSC.

Shit, the 360 HD-DVD will do it just fine (will play region free PAL DVDs without complaint and will convert to NTSC if necessary). And yes, the 360 HD-DVD I have is also a NTSC/US unit, which was procured for me for 10$USD.

expy

Banned
DJ Crimson said:
The only issue I have with the current friend's list is that damn colored box around the avatars. It just seems pointless...
Probably placeholder for something they'll add later. Like trophy info and level, etc.

Raistlin

Dragona Akehi said:
Note, this is from memory card/stick/usb. If you put in a region free PAL DVD it says "Cannot display PAL broadcast", but a completely unaltered .VOB file runs just fine.

Ahhh ... I was going to ask if that's the case.

From what I recall, there are actually two teams doing media playback for the PS3. One doing the BD/DVD (basically directed by the A-team from SCE), and another group doing the non disk-based media playback.

Given Sony's history, they may not even be in contact with each other (for some reason, I think the media playback team is from Europe or the US?) ... and it wouldn't surprise if they aren't even using the same libraries. The SCE team probably has custom decoders for MPEG2/4/VC1/etc. I never really did much testing since I have an external scaler, but there are probably IQ differences. Just look into the fact that there are several scaling options for MPEG2 DVD playback that don't exist for media files ... even VOBs.

With that in mind, it's quite possible it isn't a HW-based frame-reclocking at all (as a matter of fact, I certainly don't recall seeing something like that on the MoBo, unless it is embedded into another chip). I suspect it is a SW based feature that only exists for media playback. To some extent it makes sense. Look at PC-based media players versus DVD players ... it's a common feature in PC media players (SW players ala VNC, WMP, WinAmp, etc) ... but not common in DVD players. The mind-set of the SCE team was to port HW-based playback and add some extra features. Unfortunately, that feature list isn't necessarily the same as the other teams.

SamBishop

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
See? STUPID. Just flip the fucking switch on the bluray firmware area Sony and let us have REGION FREE PAL/NTSC.

Shit, the 360 HD-DVD will do it just fine (will play region free PAL DVDs without complaint and will convert to NTSC if necessary). And yes, the 360 HD-DVD I have is also a NTSC/US unit, which was procured for me for 10$USD.

The truly hilarious thing is that debugs let you set the region and will force that output where appropriate on an SDTV signal. But of course debugs won't play any DVDs/BDs. Wheeeeee!

Onix said:
Ahhh ... I was going to ask if that's the case.

From what I recall, there are actually two teams doing media playback for the PS3. One doing the BD/DVD (basically directed by the A-team from SCE), and another group doing the non disk-based media playback.

Given Sony's history, they may not even be in contact with each other (for some reason, I think the media playback team is from Europe or the US?) ... and it wouldn't surprise if they aren't even using the same libraries. The SCE team probably has custom decoders for MPEG2/4/VC1/etc. I never really did much testing since I have an external scaler, but there are probably IQ differences. Just look into the fact that there are several scaling options for MPEG2 DVD playback that don't exist for media files ... even VOBs.

With that in mind, it's quite possible it isn't a HW-based frame-reclocking at all (as a matter of fact, I certainly don't recall seeing something like that on the MoBo, unless it is embedded into another chip). I suspect it is a SW based feature that only exists for media playback. To some extent it makes sense. Look at PC-based media players versus DVD players ... it's a common feature in PC media players (SW players ala VNC, WMP, WinAmp, etc) ... but not common in DVD players. The mind-set of the SCE team was to port HW-based playback and add some extra features. Unfortunately, that feature list isn't necessarily the same as the other teams.

All I can say is that it works perfectly fine, with excellent IQ upconverting, to my eye, the same as an EU PS3 upscaling a DVD natively. Whether it's hardware or software (and I'm leaning on hardware still till proven otherwise) it works, and there is absolutely no obstacle in letting people play any region free disc on any television.

Just think how nice it'd be not only for my Blu-rays but also to play ALL the content including SD 576p extras. To my mind, I don't understand why it won't. But I'm really not too bright when it comes to electronics, most of the time.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm quiet surprised at how quickly my download finished. I mean it took about twenty five minutes for it to reach like 30%, but once it did it downloaded the update in like three minutes. The colors are nice for your profile. Only 1 person on my friend's list has managed to change it. I'm not interested in the Facebook application.

Raistlin

Dragona Akehi said:
All I can say is that it works perfectly fine, with excellent IQ upconverting, to my eye, the same as an EU PS3 upscaling a DVD natively. Whether it's hardware or software (and I'm leaning on hardware still till proven otherwise) it works, and there is absolutely no obstacle in letting people play any region free disc on any television.

Whether it's SW or HW, the obstacle is getting the team to actually implement the changes in their code.

Just think how nice it'd be not only for my Blu-rays but also to play ALL the content including SD 576p extras. To my mind, I don't understand why it won't. But I'm really not too bright when it comes to electronics, most of the time.

I'd certainly welcome it, don't get me wrong. It's just not a common feature unfortunately. I wish there was some way to actually discuss this with the team involved. :(

Onix said:
Whether it's SW or HW, the obstacle is getting the team to actually implement the changes in their code.

Oh, of course. That is, as always the problem.

I'd certainly welcome it, don't get me wrong. It's just not a common feature unfortunately. I wish there was some way to actually discuss this with the team involved. :(

Well, if what I've been led to believe is true, all I have to do is start bitching about it here incessantly in every GAF PS3 Firmware thread. :p

You know, this issue is the one reason I wish there was a hack for the PS3. Region free gaming (including PS2 and PSOne) and Region free DVD/Blu-ray playback.

I'd pay a goodly sum for that ability (just the DVD/Blu-ray even). A goodly sum.

exarkun

You know I was hoping to god that they would fix that problem with Batman and Uncharted that they had created with the last update but they obviously haven't. I still can't play Batman and Uncharted takes forever to load.

This is bullshit and now I have to reset my ps3 to 2.8 or something before 3.0. Sony just can't get anything right these days, and I love my ps3 to death. So pissed.

Edit: Since Dragona is messing around in this thread I'll ask her, have you heard any solution to the problem that I'm talking about? I only ask cause you seem to have been quite knowledgeable the PAL NTSC stuff.

exarkun said:
You know I was hoping to god that they would fix that problem with Batman and Uncharted that they had created with the last update but they obviously haven't. I still can't play Batman and Uncharted takes forever to load.

This is bullshit and now I have to reset my ps3 to 2.8 or something before 3.0. Sony just can't get anything right these days, and I love my ps3 to death. So pissed.

Good luck with that. I haven't found a method for reverting to anything pre 2.70 or I would have already.

Raistlin

exarkun said:

ummm ...

[edit] DAMMIT :lol

exarkun

Dragona Akehi said:
Nope. Tried that.

So I'm stuck with a fully functioning PS3 that just can't play Arkham Asylum? Ughhhhh. I guess I'll trade it in for AC2 or something.

But wow what a bummer. I had to use a friends ps3 to play the birthday gift he bought me.

Onix said:
:lol

I think I owe Dragona a beer.

You could buy me that Oppo and I could buy you the beer! :p

Seriously though, I'm going to have to do something about this eventually. Even if Sony does get around to fixing the problem, I'm still going to have huge issues.

First of all my PAL DVD collection is huge and full of region coded titles. I've been previously ripping and burning them to region free backups and playing on the 360 HD-DVD player, since I don't have a decent Region 2 DVD player, and I don't want to spend money on a shitty one.

Plus I'd like to be able to ACCESS the extras on Blurays... for instance the Doctor Who Specials Bluray that's coming out in January will have the last episode that appeared in 576p rather than in HD, which means that the PS3 will refuse to play it entirely.

I think the Oppo is probably my best option despite being bonkers expensive. It will, at least "do everything". :/

exarkun said:
So I'm stuck with a fully functioning PS3 that just can't play Arkham Asylum? Ughhhhh. I guess I'll trade it in for AC2 or something.

But wow what a bummer. I had to use a friends ps3 to play the birthday gift he bought me.

I feel for you. I have a half-dozen Blurays I can't watch at all thanks to the firmware issues. One of them is even Region A.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Dragona Akehi said:
I think it's intentional, and nothing to do with BluRay or movie playback.
PS3 also does exact same thing for region free PS1 games downloaded from European store (Cannot display PAL content).
Whatever the reasoning for the restriction, I'm not buying that this is in any way accidental (or a bug).

Anyway - whilst we're speaking of annoyances, I would like the team to fix BluRay playback to upscale the SD content on Blurays. I am a lot more fond of PS3 video-upscale over any TV I've tried to date, and there's really no reason why they force 480i playback on those extras.

Fafalada said:
I think it's intentional, and nothing to do with BluRay or movie playback.
PS3 also does exact same thing for region free PS1 games downloaded from European store (Cannot display PAL content).

That be some Grade A bullsheet right there. I mean it's region-fucking free. They'd have something of a point if the media in question were region-coded...

Anyway - whilst we're speaking of annoyances, I would like the team to fix BluRay playback to upscale the SD content on Blurays. I am a lot more fond of PS3 video-upscale over any TV I've tried to date, and there's really no reason why they force 480i playback on those extras.

576i/p -> 1080i/p fixes all problems too!

PS: this is also why I bemoan the problem with PAL DVDs... I really like the PS3 upscaling so I'm not going to buy a shitty DVD player for my DVDs.

You know what's really shaming? My stop-gap solution is using the Media Player CE for Wii.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Dragona Akehi said:
576i/p -> 1080i/p fixes all problems too!
It actually wouldn't surprise me if this was some sort of crutch to avoid people complaints when they try to feed SD PAL signal to a TV that doesn't support it (amusingly - some of the latest HDTVs block SDTV PAL signals as well, even though the same models are also sold in Europe - so this is not Sony exclusive BS).

But yes, if they really want to do the "can't display PAL content" warning, just do it when upscaling is disabled. Otherwise, all content is 720/1080 for the TV anyway, so there is no PAL signal involved.

So just to be clear (just curious). An NTSC PS3 will not play region free content on bluray that is in 576i? And if that is at the beginning it will not play anything on the disc?

Also, even if you are using an NTSC PS3 it will not upscale 480i content on a Bluray disc? Like movie in 1080p, some extras at 480i?

Baron Aloha said:
I think people are reading into the comment too much. He doesn't state that it is actually coming, rather that if/when he hears something about it he will pass the information along.

This.

They've said they are 'working on it' numerous times...

MvmntInGrn said:
So just to be clear (just curious). An NTSC PS3 will not play region free content on bluray that is in 576i? And if that is at the beginning it will not play anything on the disc?

Also, even if you are using an NTSC PS3 it will not upscale 480i content on a Bluray disc? Like movie in 1080p, some extras at 480i?

Yes, and yes.

Ok while editing my post above my ps3 crash..So I did a hard reset and when I rebooted I got a message like this "Your PS3 was shutdown incorrecty Press X to send a report to Sony" WTF

percaya

Neo Member
Funny thing is Sony patched up Hong Kong PS3s (NTSC-J, CECHx12) to support PAL contents during the 1.60 update, but leave other NTSC PS3s (non-12 region code) crippled.

Pachimari

Anyone know where I can download the picture at the Install-screen (for system update) ? It's the black background with blue stuff at the bottom.

Any stealth updates? I only noticed a couple of obvious additions which were surely available in US models, such as new video settings for default language on HDD content.

peetfeet

iPlayer is still not on mine :(

I'm in UK and had a UK machine until the BluRay Drive died, I have a 'European' refurbished replacement from Sony. :((

peetfeet said:
iPlayer is still not on mine :(

I'm in UK and had a UK machine until the BluRay Drive died, I have a 'European' refurbished replacement from Sony. :((
Maybe try turning it off than back on as its the only thing i can think of that would have made mine come back, otherwise i really dont know what is going on with it.

Fizzle

Dragona, have you tried letting the media do the bitching and roaring for you? I personally would have emailed all the Gaming/Tech that sites I know and that shit will just spread thanks to the wonders of the web.

peetfeet

Dirtyshubb said:
Maybe try turning it off than back on as its the only thing i can think of that would have made mine come back, otherwise i really dont know what is going on with it.

I'm in work but will see what happens with it when i spark her up again later, i wont hold my breath though.

Top Bottom