• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright DS barebones port to Wiiware. Capgod strikes again!

Peff

Not that it's a valid excuse, but space is a concern when using hi-res sprites, and if they're already splitting the first game because of the extra case, it'd probably need two or three parts per game. Which they could release anyways but I guess interest may disappear if they take too long to release the series.

Wario64 said:
For the industry. For Wiiware ports.
I get it.
Haunted said:
Here's what I don't get. Jocchan says they have high res art assets for the whole series. That Wii tutorial screen looks excellent, easily on par with said assets.

Why use the GBA assets for this at all?
File size? I don't know about the GBA originals, but the DS versions of the first three Ace Attorney games use 64, 32, and 32 megabyte cards--the extra case in the first game seemed to push it over the 32 MB edge. Replacing most of the imagery with things several times the resolution would increase the size. WiiWare limit is around 40 MB.
Zoc said:
Anyway, this is the only PC version I can find, with the same low-res assets as every other version:
However, that works too!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Peff said:
Not that it's a valid excuse, but space is a concern when using hi-res sprites, and if they're already splitting the first game because of the extra case, it'd probably need two or three parts per game. Which they could release anyways but I guess interest may disappear if they take too long to release the series.
They're almost static sprites that are repeated throughout the series.
Don't think it would have been a problem, or are they really that huge? They didn't need to even be "high res", just at least suitable for TV.

EDIT: Reading the above post concerning file sizes on DS. Hmmm... sheesh.

HUELEN10

My father said the most amazing thing regarding the screens...
HUELEN10's Father said:
So did the duct tape fall off, or did the hamster die in its wheel while the game was being made?
Such a troll! :lol Thought I do not care for the jab at the Wii one bit, the hamster bit is genius.
AwakenedCloud said:
I love how everybody in the first picture aside from Maya is either uninterested, perplexed, or downright disgusted with the game.
Gotta love Lotta's face. :D

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Oh my this looks like a terrible port job. I'm a huge PW fan and this port doesn't interest me the slightest.

TheExodu5

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
They couldn't even port the PC version?
289c01g.jpg

EDIT: Beaten by a quote. =(

Sorry Capcom, I'm probably not going to bite. And I'm a huge AA fan, and am contemplating ordering the translated AA Art book despite owning the Japanese one already.

Is there any way to get a translation of this?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
TheExodu5 said:
Is there any way to get a translation of this?
It's apparently some sort of benchmark with fancy graphics where Phoenix questions your computer's ability to run the much shittier-looking actual game (didn't know that :/).
Kudos if this does make any sense to you.

Zoc said:
"System requirements"... Does that mean my computer's specs?
The part in white starts with "pesukon no spec", aka "personal computer specs".

Zoc

Jocchan said:
The part in white starts with "pesukon no spec", aka "personal computer specs".

I know... I was translating the whole thing, not really asking! He's saying "'System requirements'... does that mean my computer's specs?"

jay

It actually looks like fun to sit around and play with people. If I hadn't already forced my girlfriend to play and enjoy the trilogy on DS I'd think about buying again for the social angle.

Ranger X

Makes me wonder if we'll have to make a move forward of the Wiimote in order to call an objection. I mean WTF, I want to play quietly on my couch god damnit. This feels so tacked on and unecessary...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ranger X said:
Makes me wonder if we'll have to make a move forward of the Wiimote in order to call an objection. I mean WTF, I want to play quietly on my couch god damnit. This feels so tacked on and unecessary...

You can just push '+' instead if you want.

I hope you can turn it off. I don't want to make a sudden action and have it present the wrong evidence.

I'm warming up to this, slightly, but not enough. My biggest problem has always been that it doesn't take true advantage of the Wii's abilities, and that the border looks cheap and emulator-like. Why can't I just play with the Wii Remote on its side? Or use the pointer to, yknow, point? To put it on the Wii without that is beyond absurd.

udivision

A Link to the Snitch said:
I'm warming up to this, slightly, but not enough. My biggest problem has always been that it doesn't take true advantage of the Wii's abilities, and that the border looks cheap and emulator-like. Why can't I just play with the Wii Remote on its side? Or use the pointer to, yknow, point? To put it on the Wii without that is beyond absurd.

It's pathetic really. We know th high res art is out there. Why don't they just use it?

bon

Ranger X said:
Is this a real screenshot or not? That's be so awesome.

/wishful thinking
Nope, they're using the original graphics blown up.

I'm actually surprised at how decent it looks, I was expecting worse.

Top Bottom