• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

NHale

My copy from AxelMusic has finally arrived, but with no GOW3 demo code. I thought SCEA said every copy would have a demo voucher included. Damn you SCEA.

Footos22

Yeah mine came without as well but i already downloaded the demo off a shared account a while back so im not too fussed.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LLaMa-Tech said:
I beat GOW 2 yesterday (after beating the first one) I really want to try the Athena costume so I started Titan mode.

Big Mistake, it's insane.

I found this on the subject:

Difference in Titan Difficulty Compared to Other Modes:
Kratos' Power: 75%
Kratos' Damage Intake: 500%
Health Orbs Worth: 25%
Magic Orbs Worth: 25%
Experience Orbs Worth: 75%
Titan Orbs Worth: 25%
Enemy Pressure: Merciless
Enemy Recovery: Immediate

Just out of curiosity, did you get that from the official guide or my gamefaqs guide? I'm curious if people are going to start reading it now that the Collection has been released, but I doubt it since there are no Trophies associated with it. :(

HooCares

Neo Member
Never played a single GoW game until this collection.

Just finished the Road the Athens in GoW1. Holy shit, this is a good game.

I'm sure I won't get to upgrade all the abilities - which should a first time player spend points on? (playing normal, as I usually suck at these kind of action games).

Chrono

Banned
HooCares said:
I'm sure I won't get to upgrade all the abilities - which should a first time player spend points on? (playing normal, as I usually suck at these kind of action games).

Just focus on upgrading your blades of chaos and poseidon's rage.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I happy to see people enjoying the game so much. I remember playing it on the PS2 and having a blast. One of the best game series in history imo.

I seriously got my butt kicked hardcore by the Colossus in Titan mode, so I went back and played GOW2 on bonus play with my upgrades from previous play through. Now the game is super easy lol.

How long should it take to beat GOW2 on Titan mode? (rough estimate)
Also to get the Athena costume for Kratos, do I beat just Titan mode OR do I have to beat God mode AND Titan mode?

krae_man

I've never had a problem upgrading all my weapons. Its not that hard, you just need to find both muse keys and open all the red chests.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LLaMa-Tech said:
I seriously got my butt kicked hardcore by the Colossus in Titan mode, so I went back and played GOW2 on bonus play with my upgrades from previous play through. Now the game is super easy lol.

How long should it take to beat GOW2 on Titan mode? (rough estimate)
Also to get the Athena costume for Kratos, do I beat just Titan mode OR do I have to beat God mode AND Titan mode?

You can just beat Titan mode to unlock those costumes. It stacks.

I'm not exactly sure how long it will take. It's been a while. It largely depends on your skill, since you'll be retrying certain sections over and over until you get them right.

Seeing all the "making of" footage for God of War, in the first game Icarus Wings didn't make it and alot of other cool bosses and enemies like skeletons and such.

They did however make it to God of War 2.

Seeing all the "making of" footage for God of War 2, all the things missing in the first game made it to GoW2. However, with things making through they skipped alot of others and alot of lost levels. One of the lost level that they felt bad skipping was "The Road to Sparta" which was almost complete. Also, alot of interesting bosses and characters were also skipped.

Looking at God of War 3 demo, the level that we play looks alot like "The Road to Sparta". Infact if all stays true, Hercules, Oceanus and others might be resurrected for GoW3.

snap0212

I’m just about two hours in but I love it already. Maybe I’ll even get the Platinum some day. One question about the "Stick it in Your Cap!" Tropy. I have to collect all the Phoenix Feathers, right? Do I have to do it in one playthrough or can I just collect them later on?

snap0212 said:
I’m just about two hours in but I love it already. Maybe I’ll even get the Platinum some day. One question about the "Stick it in Your Cap!" Tropy. I have to collect all the Phoenix Feathers, right? Do I have to do it in one playthrough or can I just collect them later on?
You have to max out your magic bar in order to get this trophy, so, yes, in one playthrough. Don't worry though, there are more than enough feathers (and eyes) in the game to collect them all.

REV 09

just started playing this...realized it didn't have surround sound?! I can't play this now....why didn't any reviews or impressions mention this huge oversight?

I just beat the first game for the first time. I just cant believe i deprived myself of this all these years. Truly an awesome game with a great difficulty curve. Only thing id complain about is the camera at certain times, but in the end it was something i just got used to. Very excited to go through GoW2 and then finally try my demo for 3 after i beat that one.

Erdrick

I finally finished GoWII tonight. I had played it on the PS2 on release and had made it probably 85% far into the game when I just gave up back in April of 2007 or so. I was sick of the constant type of puzzles and just was tired of it.

I'm glad I persevered this time and finished it. The end was well worth it and I'm pretty excited to play 3 when it comes. I'll DL the demo once I finish the PSP one which I just started. (That's a marvel in technical terms in it's own right... from what I have played thus far.)

the first 2 GoW games give me the same vibe that the 2 Uncharted games and RE4 do. Just really well done games of their genres and are very hard to put down once you start.

MrPliskin

Banned
REV 09 said:
just started playing this...realized it didn't have surround sound?! I can't play this now....why didn't any reviews or impressions mention this huge oversight?

Yea, I don't know how anyone ever played a videogame in the past without surround sound. It should be a crime.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Anyone else having issues viewing their Trophies on Playstation.com? For some reason my God of War I and II Trophies aren't showing up, though my trophy total is correct.

LowParry

I guess it was a strange glitch I had. Two music pieces playing at once, depending on what area I was in. I thought it was just in game but one piece of music was like on a continuous loop. Reset the PS3 and it was fine after that. Anyway, GOW complete! 2 I shall work on later!

GuardianE said:
Anyone else having issues viewing their Trophies on Playstation.com? For some reason my God of War I and II Trophies aren't showing up, though my trophy total is correct.
Yeah, I'm having the same issue. Had the same issue with Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time. Then, a week or two later, it showed the trophies for the game on the site. I guess they have been experiencing issues lately.

LowParry

REV 09 said:

So you can't play the game because it doesn't have surround. :lol

unomas

Banned
This thread is killing me! Never played either of the GOW games, and got my copy of this collection from Amazon last week. Sounds like the games are amazing, I gotta finish up Assasin's Creed 2 so I can move on to the GOW collection!

TheExodu5

Banned
REV 09 said:

smh

Are you new to PS2 games or something?

Nicktendo86

Got the plat for GoW 1 last night, speed run clocked in at 3:09. Amazing game from beginning to end, feel a little burned out after two successive playthroughs so might give it a rest before I crack on with GoW 2.

BTW anyone struggling with the challenge rooms I cannot recommend shagg_187's guide enough, was excellent. :D

Snipes424 said:
I forgot how fucking amazing the ending was in GoW2, maybe one of the best endings ever in a video game.

Playing these again has got me even more hyped for GoWIII.

You just know it's going to be absolutely EPIC.

Just finished through II and got 80% trophies on both GoWs (I could get more on II but I'll leave it there cause it looks good :p)

Victarion

For the "Don’t They Ever Shut Up!" trophy, I killed all the desert sirens but it hasn't unlocked!
I didn't noticed it until I saved the game after killing them, what should I do? :(

Manticore said:
For the "Don’t They Ever Shut Up!" trophy, I killed all the desert sirens but it hasn't unlocked!
I didn't noticed it until I saved the game after killing them, what should I do? :(

nothing.

you get the trophy after killing the sirens near the horn.

Chrono

Banned
For the regular GOWII, what does the 'hd mode' obtained by code do? It can't be actual HD. Looking at the case it looks like it doesn't have progressive scan like the first game, does it just enable that? Any hit on framerate or increased tearing?

REV 09

I guess i should have prefaced saying that I've already played and completed both titles back when they originally released. I don't remember GoW2 not having Surround Sound though...played it on the same PS3. I haven't played a game without Surround Sound in nearly 5 years which made the absence shocking to me. I'd rather play something else, than to replay these titles with this glaring omission...imo.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the collection though...for first timers; it's essential to play these titles.

Oh wow just done Challenge of the Gods mode. Thanks to Shaggs help and youtube.

First time I've ever done this... I may actually Platinum it now. 2 more Trophies to get on the first. Seeing Red and the Speed run.

What costume would be recommended to achieving this easier?

Also the Cyclops eyes trophy on GoWII, can you keep getting them off the first challenge of the gods level?

MrPliskin

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:

First time I've ever done this... I may actually Platinum it now. 2 more Trophies to get on the first. Seeing Red and the Speed run.

Also the Cyclops eyes trophy on GoWII, can you keep getting them off the first challenge of the gods level?

Cow.

Chrono said:
For the regular GOWII, what does the 'hd mode' obtained by code do? It can't be actual HD. Looking at the case it looks like it doesn't have progressive scan like the first game, does it just enable that? Any hit on framerate or increased tearing?

It's 480p, and it does have a slight hit on the framerate, and likely more screen tearing.

Katana_Strikes said:

Yeah you can get the Cyclops eye trophy by doing the first challenge of the titans over and over. Just be sure to return to the Challenge menu after doing it each time or the game won't count the eyes (you'll know what I mean when you're doing it).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Still haven't received my copy from AxelMusic. It was shipped on the 18th, so it will have been two weeks tomorrow (their estimated shipping time to Sweden is 4-7 business days; that period is well over by now). Several people on a Swedish forum whose orders were also shipped on that same date are also still waiting for their copies. Never ordering from them again, it's VG+ next time I need to import something.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Katana_Strikes said:

Cow costume the best I see. Spam rage magic and skip any battles you dont need to fight. Finished the game under 3 hours.

NekoFever

REV 09 said:
They have Pro Logic II. Not the same thing but it's better than nothing stereo.

I agree that it would have been nice to get a proper 5.1 mix, but that's a hell of a lot of work for what was a small project, and a lot more people will experience the benefits of the graphical improvements than the sound.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
REV 09 said:
I guess i should have prefaced saying that I've already played and completed both titles back when they originally released. I don't remember GoW2 not having Surround Sound though...played it on the same PS3.
Remakes use Pro Logic 2, like the originals, but you have to enable that manually on your amp. Remakes also have better sound processing and reverb than the originals had.

ACE 1991

Just finished God of War 1 for the first time :D

What an amazing game.

I have a question, however. Before I start two, I'm curious about how the difficulty of God Of War 1 measures up with God of War 2. Is the sequel harder or easier? I had a tough time with GoW 1 and had to revert to easy mode, and I'm curious if I should do the same for the sequel.

I'm debating whether or not I should go pick this up right now. There's a Blockbuster close (don't feel like making an extended trip otherwise) but I've never purchased games from BB, and don't even know if they sell games in store. Is this something I could pick up at BB?

ACE 1991

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm debating whether or not I should go pick this up right now. There's a Blockbuster close (don't feel like making an extended trip otherwise) but I've never purchased games from BB, and don't even know if they sell games in store. Is this something I could pick up at BB?

Doesn't matter how you get it, as long as you do. It's an amazing collection.

ACE 1991 said:
Just finished God of War 1 for the first time :D

What an amazing game.

I have a question, however. Before I start two, I'm curious about how the difficulty of God Of War 1 measures up with God of War 2. Is the sequel harder or easier? I had a tough time with GoW 1 and had to revert to easy mode, and I'm curious if I should do the same for the sequel.

i'm not that far in GoW II right now, but as far as i remember the second game is easier on "normal" difficulty.

Top Bottom