• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 23-29, 2009

AniHawk

kpop100 said:
I have to beat it into the ground at least once a week, but where are the sub 10k PS3 numbers we were promised :lol

Wait until Gran Turismo 5
and then wait a year

andymcc

Banned
wow at mushi futari's numbers. game deserves better sales than that, at least better sales than death smiles. (let's be honest, japan's fascination with MOE girls is what put death smiles over mushi...)

Calcaneus

I don't get why the PSPgo even exists. Why the hell would you go out on such a limb for DD? They ramped up the selection right when the GO came out, why couldn't they just do that on the regular PSP first.

There has to be some benefit from releasing this dead upgrade, because it seems like it would only be getting better for them if they just stuck with the Slim and the 3000.

Ultimo hombre said:
I wonder what the profit margin is on the PSP Go and how many sales, at this price, it would take for them to re coup the r&d and marketing costs for it.

It depends of how many digital games more expensive than retail price are sold.

kay

Hey, I'm not here to dig up everyone's graves.

31./00. [PSP] Puyo Puyo 7 (SEGA)
32./25. [PS3] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai)
33./28. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (BEST) (Square Enix)
34./00. [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii DX (Hudson)
35./16. [WII] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers (Square Enix)
36./21. [PS3] Bayonetta (SEGA)
37./00. [NDS] Cooking Mama 3 (Taito)
38./00. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
39./35. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami)
40./32. [NDS] Rune Factory 3 (Marvelous)
41./33. [PSP] Gran Turismo (SCEI)
42./18. [WII] Metal Fight Beyblade: Gachinko Stadium (Hudson)
43./00. [WII] Puyo Puyo 7 (SEGA)
44./31. [PSP] Dissidia Final Fantasy: Universal Tuning (Square Enix)
45./00. [NDS] Layton Kyouju to Saigo no Jikan Ryokou (Level-5)
46./34. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 4 (Konami)
47./37. [NDS] Fresh PreCure! Asobi Collection (Namco Bandai)
48./00. [PSP] Gakuen Heaven: Boy's Love Scramble! (Prototype)
49./29. [PS3] INFAMOUS (SCEI)
50./00. [PS3] Fallout 3 (BEST) (Bethesda Softworks)

NDS - 18
PSP - 11
WII - 11
PS3 - 8
360 - 2

:p

ZoddGutts

The PS3 hasn't sold below 20k since the price cut has it? If so pretty good, I see it selling well even next year considering it has a strong line up early next year.

donny2112

Chris1964 said:
this is what I have for PS3 (Famitsu) until 22/11/09.

Games: 228
Total software: 12.723.955

Games: 229
Total SW: 12.83m

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm a big fan of them splitting up the unit sales between the DS/PSP and the different versions. Wish NPD did the same.

They do. You just usually have to pay to see the breakdown. :p

Perdew

Honest question, sorry if it was covered in a previous week.

So the LL I'm assuming is the same price as the DSi, and the same upgraded hardware. So, since the DSi was a 'premium' DS model (price hike!), and the DSL was supposed to live in harmony with it... does this mean that the LL is essentially replacing the secondary DS market, and that Nintendo actually effectively raised the price on their top selling console? Or will the DSL be sticking around for a long time as the third wheel?

It seems to me like keeping the DSL around at this point will only hurt them, especially with DSi/LL sales so high.

Somnid

Perdew said:
Honest question, sorry if it was covered in a previous week.

So the LL I'm assuming is the same price as the DSi, and the same upgraded hardware. So, since the DSi was a 'premium' DS model (price hike!), and the DSL was supposed to live in harmony with it... does this mean that the LL is essentially replacing the secondary DS market, and that Nintendo actually effectively raised the price on their top selling console? Or will the DSL be sticking around for a long time as the third wheel?

It seems to me like keeping the DSL around at this point will only hurt them, especially with DSi/LL sales so high.

DSi:LL I believe is $10 more. The DSL is their lowest tier product, and while they didn't drop the price the DSi makes it look cheaper by comparison. It'll stick around for a while still not unlike the GBA post-DS. It's the easy and cheap entry into the world of DS. The DSi/LL have replaced it though.

Jonnyram

Perdew said:
So the LL I'm assuming is the same price as the DSi, and the same upgraded hardware.
The LL is actually more expensive.
20000 yen as opposed to 18900. Every single revision of the DS has gotten more expensive!
15000 -> 16800 -> 18900 -> 20000

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sinobi just updated..if I have it right NSMB Wii did 420K first day.

So much for my prediction :lol

I'll let someone who can read better do the rest..but I think the Mario number is correct.

duckroll

NSMBW - 420k
PSP2 - 202k
GvsGN+ - 170k
Tokimemo 4 - 28k
LBP - 2200
Sengoku Musou 3 - 81k
AC2 PS3 - 28k
AC2 360 - 21k
Power Pro Pocket 12 - 23k
Kaiju Busters - 10k
Yggdra Unision - 4700

Bebpo

Banned
Well Mario isn't usually too front loaded. I wouldn't be surprised if days 2/3 were each about 70% of day 1. A 420k day 1 could still pull 1 million opening weekend.

Everything looks pretty close to what people were guessing. No surprise bombas or surprise hits really.

schuelma

thanks duck. I thought PSP2 might be a bit higher, and SW3 did better first day than I thought it would.

schuelma

Bebpo said:
Well Mario isn't usually too front loaded. I wouldn't be surprised if days 2/3 were each about 70% of day 1. A 420k day 1 could still pull 1 million opening weekend.

Just going off NSMB DS where according to Famitsu it was 480K/860K IIRC, so not amazing weekend numbers.

AniHawk

duckroll said:
NSMBW - 420k
PSP2 - 202k
GvsGN+ - 170k
Tokimemo 4 - 28k
LBP - 2200
Sengoku Musou 3 - 81k
AC2 PS3 - 28k
AC2 360 - 21k
Kaiju Busters - 10k
Yggdra Unision - 4700

Pretty low sales for NSMBW. That's gonna be what, 600k-700k for the week?

I bet Sony's glad the PSP 2 is doing so well though.

schuelma

AniHawk said:
Pretty low sales for NSMBW. That's gonna be what, 600k-700k for the week?

Yeah as usual I went way too high it appears. If it track similar to the DS version I think it would do a bit above 750K for the 4 days.

SW3 surprised me a bit. Wonder if NSMB Wii actually helped it a bit.

cvxfreak

schuelma said:

I doubt it. I just think the Musou series, like other series like Biohazard (but obviously not Final Fantasy :lol) has a guaranteed sales minimum no matter what platform they go to or what time of year they're released in .

duckroll

I got pretty much owned by PSP2 and SM3, both of which I expected to perform worse. I'm feeling pretty good about everything else though. :)

NSMB bomba!

satoru-iwata-mii-lg.jpg

I think it's about time for Nintendo to pack up and move out of Japan - obviously not their kind of market.

duckroll

schuelma said:
Yeah as usual I went way too high it appears. If it track similar to the DS version I think it would do a bit above 750K for the 4 days.

Huh? NSMB DS had first day sales of 422k.

So 81k first day for Musou 3 is good? :p

What were people speculating?

As for NSMB, too bad, so sad Iwata. Looks like you're going to have to finish polishing that 360 Zelda.

kay

I shouldn't have adjusted NSMB up 115000 from 810000 :(
SM3 I adjusted 10000 down, not too big of deal.
PSP2 should be too high and Gundam will be too low..
PPP12 I adjusted 10000 down to 45000, might be a good move finally. The rest seems good enough.

Dragona Akehi said:
So 81k first day for Musou 3 is good? :p
Not very, Musou Orochi Z (different series but still) sold 79k first day and that wasn't even a new game.

cvxfreak

kay said:
Not very, Musou Orochi Z (different series but still) sold 79k first day and that wasn't even a new game.

But ignoring that Katana game, this is the series debut. Orochi Z followed on an established franchise.

duckroll

schuelma said:
I was just going off of the 2006 MC thread:

Was that wrong?

Not sure. But Sinobi says the DS one did 422k on the first day and did ~900k in 4 days. Back in 2006 there were no standardized blogs for tracking, etc, so I guess there's room for error.

schuelma

duckroll said:
Not sure. But Sinobi says the DS one did 422k on the first day and did ~900k in 4 days. Back in 2006 there were no standardized blogs for tracking, etc, so I guess there's room for error.

Huh. I think Famitsu had its first week at 865K so maybe sinobi is using a different tracker for those numbers.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
So what do you think the best it could have done?

I think the best case realistic scenario was a first week in line with the PS3 Musou games- 160K-170K first week. Obviously that wont happen.

schuelma said:
I think the best case realistic scenario was a first week in line with the PS3 Musou games- 160K-170K first week. Obviously that wont happen.

Well 81k first day certainly isn't bad at all. Should end up around ~130k by the end of the week, I imagine.

duckroll

schuelma said:
Huh. I think Famitsu had its first week at 865K so maybe sinobi is using a different tracker for those numbers.

Ultimately we're splitting hairs over a mere tens of thousands either way. The point is that NSMB pretty much doubled the first day numbers through the weekend, and I'm pretty sure the Wii game will do the same, and possibly do even more on the weekend.

schuelma

duckroll said:
Ultimately we're splitting hairs over a mere tens of thousands either way. The point is that NSMB pretty much doubled the first day numbers through the weekend, and I'm pretty sure the Wii game will do the same, and possibly do even more on the weekend.

You just want it to sell 900K on the dot and win the predictions :)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't get what's the problem with NSMBWii. Even Galaxy managed to double its first day sales. The past doesn't seem to teach us. I don't see it doing less than 800K this week.

Captain Smoker I checked your list. I didn't find any important error.

PS3 - Armored Core 4 84.849
The correct number is 83.849 from 2007 top 500. Geocities is wrong.

PS3 - Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce 48.000
Most recent number is 51.809 from October montly sales.

PS3 - Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (PlayStation 3 the Best) 620
The leak didn't give the system for this number. It can be PS3 or 360. Better don't add it at all. This is the one game difference we have.

You have 22 games with more recent updates than me. Are you sure for the 405.000 rounded number of Winning Eleven 2009?

P.S. Can you repost (or p.m. me) the Wii list you had posted (you have deleted it and have more numbers from geocities)? I think I'll add another column for LTD updates when I don't know the exact update date.

donny you have one game more than me. Please do the same with Smoker.

Cygnus X-1

schuelma said:
DSi LL 67,243
Wii 46,673
PS3 46,558
PSP 38,839
DSi 37,021
DS Lite 7,268
PSP go 3,809
Xbox 360 3,685
PS2 2,057

And the Wii reclaims its dominance!

(by 115 units) :lol

These numbers are still very consistent. There is the possibility that with DSi LL this time Nintendo centered its objective.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
First day sales all look good/great. I wonder if Atlus was expecting these Sting games to perform this way though... hopefully there's a push for Shinichi Ito's next game.

Farore said:
Tales of Graces is next week :O ...

I hope it doesn't bomb that badly :( ...
I hope it doesn't bomb at all! 180k first week sales is my lowest expectation.

PSP2 is somewhat less than expected. Maybe the first one has disappointed quite some players, even though 2 actually has a lot of improvements.

gerg

Chris1964 said:
I don't get what's the problem with NSMBWii. Even Galaxy managed to double its first day sales. The past doesn't seem to teach us. I don't see it doing less than 800K this week.

I think there might be a hint of sarcasm in the thread.

onken

duckroll said:
NSMBW - 420k
PSP2 - 202k
GvsGN+ - 170k
Tokimemo 4 - 28k
LBP - 2200
Sengoku Musou 3 - 81k
AC2 PS3 - 28k
AC2 360 - 21k
Kaiju Busters - 10k