• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 23-29, 2009

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Road said:
When I posted the Google cache page it had the updated numbers. Google is too hasty to update their cache. =(
I had seen your link and have updated the OP but the question remains:
What's going on with the site?

shinshero

My predictions: (First week/YTD/LTD)

[Wii] NSMB: 750K/990K/1760K
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII: 1600K/1850K/2050K

PS3 December: 570K
Wii December: 500K

shinshero said:
My predictions: (First week/YTD/LTD)

[Wii] NSMB: 750K/990K/1760K
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII: 1600K/1850K/2050K

PS3 December: 570K
Wii December: 500K

You really think that NSMBW is going to drop from 750k to sub 100k for the next 3-4 weeks? That would be a catastrophic drop percentage or other wise. Same with Final Fantasy XIII. Games are front loaded in Japan, just no that front loaded.

This does bring up something interesting though: it'll be interesting to see the battle between NSMBW and FFXIII for the higher YTD. Should be pretty close. As for the LTD, I think it's pretty safe to say that NSMBW will crush it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stopsign said:
This does bring up something interesting though: it'll be interesting to see the battle between NSMBW and FFXIII for the higher YTD. Should be pretty close. As for the LTD, I think it's pretty safe to say that NSMBW will crush it.

I think NSMB Wii will win that battle since it has 2 more weeks to do damage and the sales the last 2 weeks should be high anyways with the holiday swing.

hatchx

Banned
I'm sorry, I know this probably a beaten topic now....

but I can't BELIEVE how poorly Crystal Bearers did on wii. It did SO badly. Is the Crystal Chronicles title a stigma now?

Gees.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wii selling just a lil more than PS3 with all the big hits on the Wii is something I can't understand :/

duckroll said:
PSP2 - 202k
Sengoku Musou 3 - 81k

PSP2 doing less than PSP1 by few is a good thing ( I blame all the other games for the week ).
Sengoku Musou 3 81K is no good ( but I kinda blame NSMBWii )

Parl

Totobeni said:
Wii selling just a lil more than PS3 with all the big hits on the Wii is something I can't understand :/
Nothing of importance was released last week on Wii. This week however, we have some key titles. We'll get the hardware numbers that lined up with these next week.

gerg

Totobeni said:

Because this week's Wii figures don't represent the week of NSMBW's release.

Edit: Beaten.

Tmac

Despite bad software perfomance the ps3 moved a lot of hardware. Is that the FFxII effect already kicking in?

hatchx said:
but I can't BELIEVE how poorly Crystal Bearers did on wii. It did SO badly. Is the Crystal Chronicles title a stigma now?

Think for a moment how a proper followup to the GameCube title would have been on Wii.

Now think what we got (regardless of quality; I've heard good things about Crystal Bearers).

I'm not so sure that the Crystal Chronicles name is completely in disrepair. But if they wish to bring back the series into the limelight, my personal suggestion would be to look at what made the first game so special (and yet to be properly topped in my opinion).

It sold 450K LTD on the GameCube, with the "ridiculous" restrictions of requiring GBAs and LINKCABLES to play multiplayer, ie, the way the game was designed to be played.

So if we take that formula, put it on the Wii and add online multiplayer for instance... even if there is a need to use the DS as a controller (like the GBA was for the GC game), I think you'd see a much different reaction from the public.

But that's just me, what do I know?

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
So if we take that formula, put it on the Wii and add online multiplayer for instance... even if there is a need to use the DS as a controller (like the GBA was for the GC game), I think you'd see a much different reaction from the public.

But that's just me, what do I know?

Not to mention the one huge third party success on the Wii has online multiplayer as a big component.

schuelma said:
Not to mention the one huge third party success on the Wii has online multiplayer as a big component.

Even better; online play with the ability for two or three LOCAL players to join with people online.

(ie: two people local can play online with another two people who are playing local. Keep in mind I have no programming expertise, I don't know how hard difficult that would be to achieve.)

GOT to have local play too, like the original.

schuelma

Its all academic at this point..I have a feeling SE Wii support is going from barely there to non existent.

schuelma said:
Its all academic at this point..I have a feeling SE Wii support is going from barely there to non existent.

So we're agreed that DQX goes back to DS?

I really don't understand how there wasn't a followup to DQSwords at all. Especially with the Motion+. It doesn't make any sense.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
schuelma said:

Yeah, they could still announce games like DQ Swords or aDQ Remake besides KH III. But at this point i wouldnt be suprised to see DQX heading to the DS.

batbeg

Dragona Akehi said:
Even better; online play with the ability for two or three LOCAL players to join with people online.

(ie: two people local can play online with another two people who are playing local. Keep in mind I have no programming expertise, I don't know how hard difficult that would be to achieve.)

I've never known your connection to Square-Enix (or seemingly other companies, with your 7th Dragon teasing), but I say you abuse your position to infiltrate the company and hold Wada hostage until this game is made.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
So we're agreed that DQX goes back to DS?

I really don't understand how there wasn't a followup to DQSwords at all. Especially with the Motion+. It doesn't make any sense.

I'm not ready to say that yet....but if the next DQ project is another DS game I'd say the writing is on the wall.

I'm honestly shocked DQ Swords 2 hasn't been announced. I kind of thought it was a stone cold lock when Motion + was unveiled. Another reason I'm thinking SE is largely done with Wii.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dragona Akehi said:

*puts on self-proclaimed expert programmer cap*

In general online+local co-op combos are only hard in games where the local game is split-screen. Split-screening in games takes an enormous amount of rendering and processing power which is why typically framerates suffer. If the local play is on the same screen and the online players are also on the same screen, no trouble at all to implement if you're already implementing local and online co-op modes anyway.

schuelma said:
I'm not ready to say that yet....but if the next DQ project is another DS game I'd say the writing is on the wall.

I'm honestly shocked DQ Swords 2 hasn't been announced. I kind of thought it was a stone cold lock when Motion + was unveiled. Another reason I'm thinking SE is largely done with Wii.

Yes, no DQS2 is absolutely mind-boggling. I'm wondering if Iwata has made those friendly noises about 3rd parties because of S-E's dwindling interest in the Wii.

Stumpokapow said:
*puts on self-proclaimed expert programmer cap*

In general online+local co-op combos are only hard in games where the local game is split-screen. Split-screening in games takes an enormous amount of rendering and processing power which is why typically framerates suffer. If the local play is on the same screen and the online players are also on the same screen, no trouble at all to implement if you're already implementing local and online co-op modes anyway.

Yay stump to the rescue! So my hypothetical game would definitely be doable with local + online play at the same time.

BRING BACK THE BUCKET, BITCHES!

cvxfreak

Parl said:
They wouldn't buy it if they didn't have a Wii, unless that game became a system seller to them.

The point is that if this game sells well, it points to the either this game being a big system seller, or the Wii had a userbase makeup that allowed this kind of game to sell. With not many main iterations to games on Wii, it's difficult to show if the Wii has, or has had, the potential to sell major iterations of franchises like PS2 did (assuming the franchise didn't naturally peak in that era, and assuming the quality and marketing holds up). So far, there's been the major Nintendo franchises that have been a large success, the major iterations of third party products, which is MH3 and this, the former being a success, no so sure about Koei yet.

Then put SW3 under system seller status. My point still stands, because in fact they basically state the same thing from two different angles. Dedicated fanbase buys system for new game entry. I feel there is a minimum for this.

And then there's also the notion of Nintendo fans buying into Musou for the first time as well. This is also fairly likely, although they don't seem like the type who would go out and buy the game on day one, especially in December.

Parl said:
Is the argument that this game would have a good opening because of dedicated fans (who own Wii's, therefore there's at least these who would buy such games), and then not sell very well because the Wii doesn't have userbase that would buy this game?

I was responding to the initial comment that NSMB Wii helped SW3 sell, which I doubted.

I mean, I didn't see anyone buy the two games at the same time, so... :)

danielijohnson said:
Were any of those multiple consoles the Gamecube, or the Wii? The series hardly has any kind of history on the Wii and wouldn't it be a safer assumption that the series' dedicated fanbase who'll buy musou no matter what is largely present in the Playstation family and not really elsewhere? I'm not saying it's not a disappointment, but there are factors at play here that shouldn't be ignored.

Other franchises in the past had limited ties with Nintendo consoles before hitting the GameCube or Wii. Some did reasonably well, even if they didn't surpass their PlayStation predecessors. I think Samurai Warriors 3 is a system seller at core thanks to its dedicated fanbase.

The other factors haven't been ignored. They might account for why first day sales seem so low compared to some of the PS3 Musou titles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dragona Akehi said:
Yes, no DQS2 is absolutely mind-boggling. I'm wondering if Iwata has made those friendly noises about 3rd parties because of S-E's dwindling interest in the Wii.

Since when does SE hate money ? i dont get it... its like iwata slept with wadas wife, even for the DS there isnt that much stuff in in pipeline for 2010 besides the DQ6R and Lufia...

cw_sasuke said:
Since when does SE hate money ? i dont get it... its like iwata slept with wadas wife, even for the DS there isnt that much stuff in in pipeline for 2010 besides the DQ6R and Lufia...

DS is still very much S-E's main platform.

wrowa

Genius Sonority is unable to develop DQS2 due to the fact that they are busy developing DQX or a remake of DQ VII.

Well, probably not. But it's the only way I can explain why there's no sequel to DQS. Otherwise it just doesn't make any sense not to develop a sequel to a relatively low-budget game that is just SE's most successful console release of this generation (until the release of FFXIII that is).

wrowa said:
Genius Sonority is unable to develop DQS2 due to the fact that they are busy developing DQX or a remake of DQ VII.

Well, probably not. But it's the only way I can explain why there's no sequel to DQS. Otherwise it just doesn't make any sense not to develop a sequel to a relatively low-budget game that is just SE's most successful console release of this generation (until the release of FFXIII that is).

Level 5 is as far as anyone knows, still in charge of programming new mainline DQ games. So they'd be the ones working DQX. As for a remake of DQVII, the remake of DQVI still hasn't been released. So... no.

schuelma

wrowa said:

Not to mention I just kind of assumed Iwata would line up some 3rd party support for Motion +.

To the best of my knowledge there still hasn't been a single 3rd party Japanese developed title announced using it.

The Western devs are actually supporting the add on better.

schuelma said:
Not to mention I just kind of assumed Iwata would line up some 3rd party support for Motion +.

To the best of my knowledge there still hasn't been a single 3rd party Japanese developed title announced using it.

The Western devs are actually supporting the add on better.

You aren't going to include that Sandlot game? It is technically a third party game, even though NCL is publishing it...

schuelma

cvx- have you been out to the shops after Thursday? Curious how all the big titles are holding up.

d+pad

All of this talk of a proper sequel to the GameCube FFCC has me sad ... as does the talk of no DQS sequel. What in the hell is wrong with Square-Enix these days?

Its handling of things this generation kind of makes Nintendo's semi-botching of the Wii look a whole lot better. Well, maybe I wouldn't go that far, but you get my drift :)

cvxfreak

There have been a lot of DQ games in the last few years, so it makes a bit of sense to preserve the brand and keep releases light, so I can see why DQS2 isn't here (yet).

I mean, look at FF. *laughs*

schuelma said:
cvx- have you been out to the shops after Thursday? Curious how all the big titles are holding up.

I'll stop by today, since I might pick up a DSi LL, so I'll see then.

d+pad said:
All of this talk of a proper sequel to the GameCube FFCC has me sad ... as does the talk of no DQS sequel. What in the hell is wrong with Square-Enix these days?

Its handling of things this generation kind of makes Nintendo's semi-botching of the Wii look a whole lot better. Well, maybe I wouldn't go that far, but you get my drift :)

FF CC on GameCube is my favourite post-FFV Final Fantasy game. The three of us played for over one hundred and twenty hours co-op on one file. We started several others too. Fantastic, fantastic game.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
You aren't going to include that Sandlot game? It is technically a third party game, even though NCL is publishing it...

I guess we can include it...still doesn't change much. In NA you had 2 third party efforts actually leading the launch and a relatively high profile game coming out early next year.

Japan...nada except for Nintendo published stuff that isn't going to sell anything.

Majmun

Wow, I'm not really into sales-age. I didn't even know Crystal Bearers was released. Weird to see it bomb. I really liked the first Crystal FF game on the Gamecube.

But I don't think the Crystal Bearers flop should say anything about SE's Wii support. The game would've probably flopped on Ps3 also, or any other platform. SE should release a big game for the Wii to see how the huge userbase will react.

I'm really interested where Kingdom Hearts 3 and DQX will go, platform wise.

gerg

Regarding Japanese third-party support in general, I've been under the impression that next year's major (home console) releases are looking pretty slim. What's the situation like for all the home consoles?

schuelma

gerg said:
Regarding Japanese third-party support in general, I've been under the impression that next year's major (home console) releases are looking pretty slim. What's the situation like for all the home console?

Well at least for Q1 it looks a lot better for the PS3.

Second said:
Wow, I'm not really into sales-age. I didn't even know Crystal Bearers was released. Weird to see it bomb. I really liked the first Crystal FF game on the Gamecube.

But I don't think the Crystal Bearers flop should say anything about SE's Wii support. The game would've probably flopped on Ps3 also, or any other platform. SE should release a big game for the Wii to see how the huge userbase will react.

I'm really interested where Kingdom Hearts 3 and DQX will go, platform wise.

That has been announced for the Wii.

gerg

schuelma said:
Well at least for Q1 it looks a lot better for the PS3.

PS3's always going to have the advantage of its assortment of Final Fantasy XIII titles, but I wasn't aware of much besides them. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Stopsign said:

If you've been reading the M-C threads, you'll have seen that a few of us (including myself) have suggested that after the Wii's drop to Hell, and DQIX being the best selling third party game ever, even compared to multiple sku games, that S-E quietly is shuffling DQX back to DS.

Over four million sold to customers. On its first release.

Bebpo

Banned
gerg said:
PS3's always going to have the advantage of its assortment of Final Fantasy XIII titles, but I wasn't aware of much besides them. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Hokuto Musou march quarter end
GT5 march quarter end

RGG4 june quarter end

Majmun

Stopsign said:

It was? Guess I've missed the announcement. ;p
I personally thought the game would go to the DS.

gerg said:
PS3's always going to have the advantage of its assortment of Final Fantasy XIII titles, but I wasn't aware of much besides them.

For third parties?

Yakuza 4 should do great. There's also Metal Gear Solid Rising and the Star Ocean 4 port.

Don't know if Lost Planet 2 or Dead Rising 2 will have any effect.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't think Rising is anytime soon :p Probably 2011.
LP2 and DR2 won't do much. Maybe a 150k max each. SO should do a decent 200k. Word of mouth on how terrible it is from the X360 release might hurt sales a bunch though.

Second said:
It was? Guess I've missed the announcement. ;p
I personally thought the game would go to the DS.

During the press bonanza for DQIX's release, Horii "let it slip" that they were developing DQX for Wii.

Bebpo

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
During the press bonanza for DQIX's release, Horii "let it slip" that they were developing DQX for Wii.

There was also a trailer though, right? I remember seeing screens of battle. Was probably just a target render, so it doesn't mean anything either way.

wrowa

Dragona Akehi said:
Level 5 is as far as anyone knows, still in charge of programming new mainline DQ games. So they'd be the ones working DQX. As for a remake of DQVII, the remake of DQVI still hasn't been released. So... no.
Eh, my post wasn't meant seriously, but I kinda can't understand your arguments. :p

Just because L5 hasn't announced otherwise it doesn't mean that they are developing DQX. I doubt that they are even allowed to speak about things like that. At least if they still want to work together with SE in the next years. If DQX isn't developed by L5 it would surprise me if we would learn about that before the actual announcement of the game.

And why shouldn't it be possible that the development of a DQVII remake already started? It's not as if the DS remakes are developed by GS. Especially since the development of a DQVII remake would probably need a fairly long time due to the length of the game, it actually would make a lot sense to start the development on this one early if SE wants to release it sometime soon and not in 2012 or something.

schuelma

Bebpo said:
There was also a trailer though, right? I remember seeing screens of battle. Was probably just a target render, so it doesn't mean anything either way.

Don't think it was anything but an announcement.

Dragona Akehi said:
If you've been reading the M-C threads, you'll have seen that a few of us (including myself) have suggested that after the Wii's drop to Hell, and DQIX being the best selling third party game ever, even compared to multiple sku games, that S-E quietly is shuffling DQX back to DS.

Over four million sold to customers. On its first release.

I'm quite aware of this. Looking at the sales of the IX, it sort of makes you wonder why Square-Enix announced X for the Wii in the first place. The fact of the matter is, assuming the game is at least past the initial planning stages, it's hard to believe that they would scrap their work and simply start over on the DS (even though I guess they could use IX's engine again).

It also seems to me that behind the scenes somewhere Nintendo made a deal much like the original Crystal Chronicle deal. Nintendo told SE that if they wanted to bring Dragon Quest to the DS, they were going to have to make a Wii game as well. That's just my take on it though.

schuelma

gerg said:

Wii- Resident Evil- Darkside Chronicles

PS3

Ar tonelico 3

End of Eternity

Star Ocean 4

Biohazard 5

the new Musou game

and I think Yakuza 4 is slated for a Q1 release as well

Nothing that massive for PS3 aside from Yakuza, but certainly a lot better than the Wii

Majmun

From what I've just read on the internet, the DQX announcement seemed more like a brainfart during the DQIX conference. The project can go anywhere, really.

gerg

Stopsign said:
I'm quite aware of this. Looking at the sales of the IX, it sort of makes you wonder why Square-Enix announced X for the Wii in the first place. The fact of the matter is, assuming the game is at least past the initial planning stages, it's hard to believe that they would scrap their work and simply start over on the DS (even though I guess they could use IX's engine again).

It also seems to me that behind the scenes somewhere Nintendo made a deal much like the original Crystal Chronicle deal. Nintendo told SE that if they wanted to bring Dragon Quest to the DS, they were going to have to make a Wii game as well. That's just my take on it though.

A lot of it depends on how far along they were with the game's development. It also depends on how much they think the game's sales will be hurt by the downturn in the Wii market. It may also simply be a case of them being surprised or impressed by DQ IX's sales, and wanting to pursue the series' position on handhelds further.

Regarding Nintendo's influence in the matter, it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo agreed to help SE finance DQ X or co-market it in the West provided it saw a Wii release. I find it hard to believe that they coerced SE using prospects of DQ IX's DS release. Either way, I'd think that DQ X would be one third-party game that Nintendo was concerned about.

Anyway, thanks for the replies Second and Bebpo. Nothing seems particularly striking from a hardware perspective, outside GT5. I'm not sure I recognise what Hokuto Musou is, though.

schuelma said:
Nothing that massive for PS3 aside from Yakuza, but certainly a lot better than the Wii

I thought the PS3 had already seen a Yakuza release, and that it sold pretty well. If so, was there a hardware boost to accompany it?

schuelma

Second said:
From what I've just read on the internet, the DQX announcement seemed more like a brainfart during the DQIX conference. The project can go anywhere, really.

No, I think it was intended. I think SE had a PR out within hours after the PC.

Top Bottom