• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Direct coming December 15th

Who do you want announced as a new fighter for Smash?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

CWPHofYU8AAFENg.png

I'm perfectly fine with the roster as is. Would love it if Lyn made it in, but I won't be upset if she doesn't get in.

Assist trophy would never get in.

Vuapol

Okay, so the update currently up is only Cloud, Midgar, Mii costumes, and updated Kalos League (either 3DS or 8-player). There's no way they would advertise that as "Cloud and more", right? Can we set the hype train back on course again?

We're only getting Cloud, Midgar, Mii Costumes and Kalos tomorrow. On the eShop.

Sakurai can announce whatever he wants. All the update tells us is whatever he announces will not be available to purchase through this update. They could put up another update after the direct tomorrow for all we know. Or Wednesday. Or in February. Whenever.

-sakurai introduces himself
-footage of cloud
-an explanation of cloud
-an explanation of midgar
-"cloud is available right after this presentation"
-"lastly, I'd like to announce that Kalos is now an 8 player smash stage, i hope you have fun fighting it out with your pokefriends"
-"thank you for supporting smash for 3ds/wii u everyone. This has been the final presentation"

Okay, so the update currently up is only Cloud, Midgar, Mii costumes, and updated Kalos League (either 3DS or 8-player). There's no way they would advertise that as "Cloud and more", right? Can we set the hype train back on course again?

This is a good point, and something everyone should keep in mind. Nintendo advertised tomorrow's presentation as providing details on "Cloud and more."

"Cloud and more" very strongly suggests Cloud is not the final DLC Smash is getting.

RK128

At least hopefully the DLC plans will be laid out though

Considering this the last Smash-centric direct, could see that happening.

Would be a smart way to give the Wii U support for early 2016 too (as while we are getting Twilight Princess HD, Star Fox Zero and Pokken, it would be smart to push the Wii U with its biggest game, Smash Bros)

Jawmuncher

-footage of cloud
-an explanation of cloud
-"lastly, I'd like to announce that Kalos is now an 8 player smash stage, i hope you have fun fighting it out with your pokefriends"
-"thank you for supporting smash for 3ds/wii u everyone. This has been the final presentation"

please no

The smash logo animation appears

We see a desert landscape where Mario is fighting sonic

Cue the beginning of Sins of our Father

Venom Snake is moving in a box towards the fight. Mario and Sonic notice the box and stahp fighting

Snake dramatically removes his box as the music climaxes

Sonic, cool as a cucumber, says "Snake...what took you so long"

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This is a good point, and something everyone should keep in mind. Nintendo advertised tomorrow's presentation as providing details on "Cloud and more."

"Cloud and more" very strongly suggests Cloud is not the final DLC Smash is getting.
The post above you is an and more scenario, heh.

Pizza

just got off Omegle and ho-ly shit do i have a scoop for you guys

DrzEOV3.png

SAKURAI JUST CONFIRMED IT.

call the fire department: its getting hot in here.

Jawmuncher

Venom Snake is moving in a box towards the fight. Mario and Sonic notice the box and stahp fighting

Sonic, cool as a cucumber, says "Snake...what too you so long"

Please yes

What do you mean? Midgar is more, and there are costumes too! Get excited!

-footage of cloud
-an explanation of cloud
This guy gets it

RK128

-footage of cloud
-an explanation of cloud

Not the best announcement but something at least :l.

Cloud joining Smash is big news and people will be happy with it though :).

- Smash fans always expect more than what we get
Who in their right mind expected damn near 60 characters including 5 third party characters (with Ryu and Cloud being among them) as well as 3 dropped veterans returning via dlc and a ballot to have people vote on more dlc characters after 5 dlc characters were already done? If anything Sakurai has taught me to have high expectations.

-Horizon-

Sonic, cool as a cucumber, says "Snake...what took you so long"
Cucumber for smash.

kirby_fox

Banned

"and more" is vague though...they could mean amiibo release dates or Mii costumes.

Don't get too hyped up, now.
I really want to get hyped but I can't let myself get disappointed.

Calvero

Banned
- Smash fans always expect more than what we get
- The team was likely getting smaller as more time went on
- The broadcast was mentioned as a way to explain how Cloud being possible was
- The 2 remaining character slots could have been planned and scrapped due to other reasons
- If we ignore all of these and go back to vets returning, then we should have had vets coming along with Cloud as they're easier to work with and would likely sell more as a set rather than one character by itself.
- Mii costumes of ballot faves could also be coming and be Sakurai's way of "representing the character" as some people have already thought was true

Didn't they explicitly say in the last direct that we'd learn about the results of the Ballot in December (this upcoming direct)? So if Cloud. Was a direct result of the Ballot they'd probably mention that wouldn't they?

The post above you is an and more scenario, heh.

Haha, I suppose that's true... though "and more" referring to Mii Fighter costumes and 8-player Kalos Pokémon League would be trolilng of the highest order. :p

Either way, we're back to not really knowing anything for sure. You know what would be very interesting and illuminating? Finding out whether those three character placeholders from the previous patch are still there... well, if they are, it'd be two now.

RK128

"and more" is vague though...they could mean amiibo release dates or Mii costumes.

Don't get too hyped up, now.
I really want to get hyped but I can't let myself get disappointed.

I can see that honestly; amiibo release dates for Ryu, Roy, Lucas and Cloud alongside some Mii Costumes being shown off.

Not getting hyped myself and just looking forward to playing as Cloud with in the next day or so :).n

Last time they said "Lucas, Miiverse and more", we got a bunch of stuff, including a large portion of the presentation used to show off future content

People were also flipping out assuming those two things were it last time as well.

This release is literally everything they've already announced. There's no point in a Direct to announce the release of stuff you already announced, that's just a waste of resources.

More will be announced for later release, just like last time.

I don't know. I feel like more will probably still show up in the Direct, but I think whatever we may get has been staggered to not only avoid any leaks but spreading out the timing to focus on each remaining DLC.

Haha, I suppose that's true... though "and more" referring to Mii Fighter costumes and 8-player Kalos Pokémon League would be trolilng of the highest order. :p

Either way, we're back to not really knowing anything for sure. You know what would be very interesting and illuminating? Finding out whether those three character placeholders from the previous patch are still there... well, if they are, it'd be two now.
Oooh, that's actually a great point!

Are any of the hackers still awake?

It's also worth mentioning last time they released three characters and three stages, the servers melted from the weight of the update being downloaded by thousands at the same time.

They may be making smaller patches this time to avoid another issue like the E3 update server crash.

**Presentation Starts**
*Curtains unveil, revealing Sakurai mooning the screen with smash logos tattooed to his ass.*

"Nnnnnnghhh-uuuuuUUUUUUGHH!!!"
*Something starts poking out and violently blasting towards the camera*

"KING K. ROOL googley eyes his way to battle!!!"

**Presentation Ends**

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't know. I feel like more will probably still show up in the Direct, but I think whatever we may get has been staggered to not only avoid any leaks but spreading out the timing to focus on each remaining DLC.

Yep, that's right. We are going to get more contents from the announcement.

Is anyone still looking through the files? Can anyone check how many more slots for stages and characters? I want to see if it changed.

Jawmuncher

It's also worth mentioning last time they released three characters and three stages, the servers melted from the weight of the update being downloaded by thousands at the same time.

They may be making smaller patches this time to avoid another issue like the E3 update server crash.

That's true. Would be interesting to see like weekly releases in Dec to prevent server crashes or something.

Last time they said "Lucas, Miiverse and more", we got a bunch of stuff, including a large portion of the presentation used to show off future content

People were also flipping out assuming those two things were it last time as well.

This release is literally everything they've already announced. There's no point in a Direct to announce the release of stuff you already announced, that's just a waste of resources.

More will be announced for later release, just like last time.
no man

it's over

the dream is dead

There I am, age eight. I am waiting on the front steps of my grandmother's farmhouse. I am decked out in my outdoor clothes, tiny hands gripped around a fishing pole. I have a napsack full of camping essentials and a head full of ghost stories.

A car finally pulls in the driveway. It's the wrong car.

Sakurai emerges, with a slightly upturned frown. I have seen this face before. Too many times.

"Snake isn't coming, is he?"

Sakurai sighs and puts his hand on my shoulder, kneeling to my level. "I'm afraid something came up," he says. Something always comes up.

I'll be in my room.

RK128

So they could still announce two characters + Cloud but release them throughout the day (Cloud + Midgar & Wolf = After Direct, Inkling/Newcomer + New stage = Late at night/Thursday Morning)?

...Not a bad move on Nintendo's part.

Jawmuncher

There I am, age eight. I am waiting on the front steps of my grandmother's farmhouse. I am decked out in my outdoor clothes, tiny hands gripped around a fishing pole. I have a napsack full of camping essentials and a head full of ghost stories.

A car finally pulls in the driveway. It's the wrong car.

Sakurai emerges, with a slightly upturned frown. I have seen this face before. Too many times.

"Snake isn't coming, is he?"

Sakurai sighs and puts his hand on my shoulder, kneeling to my level. "I'm afraid something came up," he says. Something always comes up.

I'll be in my room.

Snake forever MIA

you gotta study bro

So they could still announce two characters + Cloud but release them throughout the day (Cloud + Midgar & Wolf = After Direct, Inkling/Newcomer + New stage = Late at night/Thursday Morning)?

...Not a bad move on Nintendo's part.
I'm thinking weeks or months.

They've said the 3DS isn't set up for several sequential patches being released.

Edit: there's only two Mii Hats!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom