• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct upcoming Live on September 1st at 16:00 CEST for 3DS

This direct tells me that the 3DS will still see good support for a while after the NX launches. The Wii-U is so close to retirement though.

Anyone surprised that there wasn't any games announced exclusively for the N3DS?
I thought most of them where new 3ds exclusives... I just cannot see the old 3ds do the WiiU ports in doable framerates.

Gloam

What's the story with pre-ordering Dragon Quest VII on the eShop? There doesn't seem to be a listing on the EU store.

Astral Dog

This direct tells me that the 3DS will still see good support for a while after the NX launches. The Wii-U is so close to retirement though.

Anyone surprised that there wasn't any games announced exclusively for the N3DS?
No, why would they waste more resources on exclusive n3DS? Even Wii U would be a better choice than that.
No. It was featured in a recent Nindies showcase on Nintendo's youtube channel recently though.
Thanks

Solid showing; the Reggie and Bill segments were very fun. Looking forward to Pikmin, the Animal Crossing mini-direct and the StreetPass Mii Plaza updates.

Scrawnton

Now I really wish Twilight Princess was ported to 3ds and not Wii U.... actually, I'm still not convinced there already isnt one in existence and they didnt want to release both of them.

Makonero

CrRudCeVYAES3s2.jpg

"What year is it?!"

SirNinja

Help me Gaf!

I already purchased the new StreetPass Mii Plaza minigames (and they're pretty good). However...I can't get the "100 people visiting at once" thing to work. I still only have 10 visitors maximum. Do I have to deactivate Streetpass for the Plaza and then turn it on again? What am I missing here?

Stage On

Wait we're getting 3 Zelda books from Dark horse and not just Art and Artifacts? What the heck are the other 2 supposed to be?

Also where the heck is the english version of Detective Pikachu?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I absolutely love that the Nintendo management isn't afraid to poke fun at themselves with their marketing.

Wait we're getting 3 Zelda books from Dark horse and not just Art and Artifacts? What the heck are the other 2 supposed to be?

I believe there's a Twilight Princess manga being written and then presumably translated for the US, if it hasn't been already. Dark Horse usually publishes those I think.

KooopaKid

Banned
Well I expected nothing and was still disappointed.
I hope it's not a sign of things to come on NX.
Zero originality in all the titles shown. It's obviously just filler to fill the void but it's painful to watch.

E-phonk

Banned
seems they ported their basic wii U engine to ARM in preparation of NX and decided to see what games that use it run on 3DS and could be ported with the lowest of effort.

But still, good there is content coming for those who don't have NX and MHS looks really great, hope it gets released in the west.

Added some things to the summary in the op. Hope it's all now?

• Super Mario Maker announced for Nintendo 3DS (Thread)
  • Alolan Rattata and Z-move mechanics revealed for Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon (Thread)
  • 4 amiibo for Zelda 30th anniversary announced (Thread)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword coming to the Wii U eShop TODAY (Thread)
  • Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World for Nintendo 3DS announced (Thread)
  • Mario Sports Superstars for Nintendo 3DS announced (Thread)
  • Hyrule Warriors: Legends DLC Pack 3 announced (Trailer)
  • New info for Mario Party: Star Rush (Trailer)
  • Pikmin side-scrolling game announced for Nintendo 3DS (Thread)
  • Picross 3D: Round 2 announced for Nintendo 3DS (Thread | Trailer)
  • Rhythm Paradise Megamix launching October 21, free Demo on eShop now.
  • New YO-KAI WATCH 2 footage released (Thread)
  • Tank Troopers (new IP) announced for Nintendo 3DS eShop (Thread)
  • 5 new Streetpass games announced, Mii encounter limit increased to 100 (from 10) (Trailer)
  • New update for amiibos in Animal Crossing: New Leaf will be released in November (Eurogamer article | Trailer)
  • Animal Crossing Direct coming on November 2 (Thread)
  • JP-only for now: Play as Link in Monster Hunter Stories (Thread)
  • JP-only for now: Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! announced for Nintendo 3DS (Thread)
  • JP-only: Nintendo 2DS is coming to Japan (Commercial)

Thanks for this.

Dee Dee

Help me Gaf!

I already purchased the new StreetPass Mii Plaza minigames (and they're pretty good). However...I can't get the "100 people visiting at once" thing to work. I still only have 10 visitors maximum. Do I have to deactivate Streetpass for the Plaza and then turn it on again? What am I missing here?

That's exclusive to the VIP mode that you have to buy too.

Dee Dee

I half expect NX multiplayer titles to require a Game Link Cable.

I am all for local multiplayer, but the local level sharing in Super Mario Maker 3DS might as well have been cut completely.
So, yeah, could very well be coming with Game Link Cables at this point.

Those OoT Link and Wind Waker Link amiibo look so damn good. I swore off Amiibo after finally getting Lucas, but I may cave just for these two.

Also I'm actually glad DQVIII is now a 2017 game. I was worried people would only buy one or the other because they were coming out so close together, resulting in both bombing. That's the last thing DQ in the West needs right now.

Simbabbad

Added some things to the summary in the op. Hope it's all now?

• Super Mario Maker announced for Nintendo 3DS (Thread)
  • Alolan Rattata and Z-move mechanics revealed for Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon (Thread)
  • 4 amiibo for Zelda 30th anniversary announced (Thread)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword coming to the Wii U eShop TODAY (Thread)
  • Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World for Nintendo 3DS announced (Thread)
  • Mario Sports Superstars for Nintendo 3DS announced (Thread)
  • Hyrule Warriors: Legends DLC Pack 3 announced (Trailer)
  • New info for Mario Party: Star Rush (Trailer)
  • Pikmin side-scrolling game announced for Nintendo 3DS (Thread)
  • Picross 3D: Round 2 announced for Nintendo 3DS (Thread | Trailer)
  • Rhythm Paradise Megamix launching October 21, free Demo on eShop now.
  • New YO-KAI WATCH 2 footage released (Thread)
  • Tank Troopers (new IP) announced for Nintendo 3DS eShop (Thread)
  • 5 new Streetpass games announced, Mii encounter limit increased to 100 (from 10) (Trailer)
  • New update for amiibos in Animal Crossing: New Leaf will be released in November (Eurogamer article | Trailer)
  • Animal Crossing Direct coming on November 2 (Thread)
  • JP-only for now: Play as Link in Monster Hunter Stories (Thread)
  • JP-only for now: Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! announced for Nintendo 3DS (Thread)
  • JP-only: Nintendo 2DS is coming to Japan (Commercial)
What about Ever Oasis? Best thing (near only good thing IMO) to come out of this direct.

Dystify

What about Ever Oasis? Best thing (near only good thing IMO) to come out of this direct.

There was no thread about it and no trailer posted by Nintendo, so I didn't know what to put there besides the fact that it's coming 2017. I'll add something anyway.

Dee Dee

How do you buy that? (I already have the VIP Room from the second round of minigames; I assume this is a different thing?)

Oh, that's what I was refering to - you should be fine in that case with the VIP room.

I bought it but it's night time here, so can't really check to collect Streetpasses at the moment.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I love what I saw about Ever Oasis but also feel the hype is not there, it's really getting buried by other big releases.

Exactly, it's an action-adventure in the Zelda vein, you'd think it'd be a bigger deal, but I guess the chibi models are turning some off?

Stage On

I absolutely love that the Nintendo management isn't afraid to poke fun at themselves with their marketing.

I believe there's a Twilight Princess manga being written and then presumably translated for the US, if it hasn't been already. Dark Horse usually publishes those I think.

Nah it can't be the manga because that's being done by Viz

SirNinja

Okay nevermind, just figured out Mii Plaza's 100 Mii upgrade. If you have non-Vault games that haven't been played yet and more than 10 Miis waiting, you can send them to a line where they'll wait in reserve (up to 100). That's actually quite handy for a number of reasons, including being able to queue up a group of 10 for any game.

That galaxy XL is awesome. I can't be the only one considering buying another 3ds this close to NX am I? Thinking of selling my Pokemon 20th edition new 3ds.

Even if I wasn't terribly interested in most of the stuff they showed, I wasn't bored at all during the stream. They've become quite good at putting these together.

Anyway as we see more of Nintendo's plans, it really seems like the NX is only replacing the Wii U, at least for now. I imagine they can't get the price low enough to hit the kids market at full force, so it makes sense to keep pushing stuff onto the 3DS, with its low barrier to entry and large install base. I'm concerned, however, that this will mitigate efforts to bolster first party NX development. The dream of recent leaks has been all of Nintendo's games on one platform, but this direct indicates that might not be the case. I remember thinking before E3 2015 that 3DS development was winding down and I felt the same way this morning before the direct, but the 3DS keeps lurching back to life with increasingly slapped together software. Mario Maker and Yoshi ports, sewn together Mario sports, late localizations...with the exception of Pokemon, this doesn't look like big budget, blockbuster stuff. And maybe that's the NX's saving grace? That most of this stuff looks recycled by small teams and they're saving up stuff to show later this month for NX? Hopefully. But I shudder to think what the 2018 3DS games looks like.

Dingens

Well I expected nothing and was still disappointed.
I hope it's not a sign of things to come on NX.
Zero originality in all the titles shown. It's obviously just filler to fill the void but it's painful to watch.

A Nintendo platform with software support well into it's 7th (!!!) year on the market is pretty encouraging imho...

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
we're halfway through year 5 with support until year 6 so far.

Yeah, but the 3DS will be very close to 7 years old at the end of 2017 when the last of these games likely release, not a bad run indeed!

Unfortunate that the Wii U will likely only get a single release next year, and it will be cross-gen. Definitely getting Breath of the Wild on Wii U though personally. A fitting farewell before I inevitably jump with you guys to greener (NX) pastures later. At least 3DS could keep me interested before then since Wii U is essentially already gone.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Apparently the Art and Artifacts book is actually the first in a trilogy. Japan is getting three books in total, so I'm guessing Dark Horse is actually going to bring over all three. From the Japanese book:

I don't read Japanese, but I've heard this translates to another book releasing in Japan in Winter 2016 and the final book releasing in 2017. [source]

Dingens

we're halfway through year 5 with support until year 6 so far.

we are already in year 6:

march 2011 -> march 2012 = year 1
march 2012 -> march 2013 = year 2
march 2013 -> march 2014 = year 3
march 2014 -> march 2015 = year 4
march 2015 -> march 2016 = year 5

and we are past march 2016 by now I'd argue ;)

year 6 will be complete by march 2017 and it's most likely that there will be 3ds games released even after that, hence support well into it's 7th year.
I can't think of any other Nintendo system with such a track record.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
we are already in year 6:

march 2011 -> march 2012 = year 1
march 2012 -> march 2013 = year 2
march 2013 -> march 2014 = year 3
march 2014 -> march 2015 = year 4
march 2015 -> march 2016 = year 5

and we are past march 2016 by now I'd argue ;)

year 6 will be complete by march 2017 and it's most likely that there will be 3ds games released even after that, hence support well into it's 7th year.
I can't think of any other Nintendo system with such a track record.

DS released in November 2004 and got Pokémon Black 2/White 2 in June 2012, which was its eighth year. Also, Game Boy released in 1989 and wasn't succeeded by Game Boy Color until 1998, its ninth year. (arguably Game Boy lasted even longer since Game Boy Color had a number of cross-gen releases after its launch in 1998 and the system blurs the line between being a new generation and a DSi-like upgrade)

KooopaKid

Banned
A Nintendo platform with software support well into it's 7th (!!!) year on the market is pretty encouraging imho...

I meant I hope the NX will not receive ports after ports or uncreative games based on famous IPs like we saw in this direct. NX needs new game concepts with a strong look like Splatoon or modernizing their classic franchises with current gaming trends like Breath of the Wild or SMM.

Just watched this. Charmful direct. Liked how Reggie kept hitting at2017. And I caught his he said the original Skyward Sword... Might be nothing but could mean a remake. WW, MM, TP, so SS only seems reasonable.

Zubz

Banned
Eh... That wasn't really a good Direct. I love that Reggie and Bill tried to salvage it with that little bit; I always appreciate those. But games-wise... we're back to every announcement being boring and/or tone deaf. I mean, I didn't know there was a demand for Woolly World or Mario Maker on the 3DS, and Mario Maker without being able to search for levels and "doing literally the thing that Chibi-Robo! tried and killed the franchise in the process and a number of people called it pre-release but with Pikmin" this time don't look like they'll sell well... At all. The Pikmin one looks somewhat fun, though, even if I don't think it's meaty enough to justify a long game.

The only thing I'm really excited for is having an excuse to play New Leaf again... but even then, I'm not excited enough to buy the 3DS Amiibo Reader. That Poochie Amiibo's tempting, at least.

The Ridley meme went completely out of hand. It doesn't make sense to me to this day.
Why Ridley of all characters? It's just.....wat

ef2UnNV.jpg

I died on this hill before and I'll die on it again.

Ridley isn't a meme, he's actually a popular character. Many, myself included, really wanted him to be playable (I'm still glad I got my 2nd and 3rd most wanted with Bayo and Mac, but I was still disappointed about #1). He's got a badass design, he's always a fun boss to fight, and is arguably the 3rd face of Metroid behind Samus and the li'l jellyfish themselves.

He can definitely provide a fun playstyle, too. After Little Mac was announced and Sakurai hammered home the fact he was "Top tier on the ground, worthless in the air" because he's a boxer, I was expecting Ridley to be the opposite: a large character who nimbly flies through the air and does a lot of damage up there... But he flounders on the ground/getting airborne. I'm at least happy that he's been more prominent in various side-things lately (He's even in Miitomo, of all games!), but I really wanted him to be playable in Smash Bros. Still do, honestly.

Top Bottom