• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.
almost every year on neogaf a exclusive wins, so i doubt the power of exclusives, some of those exclusives were also turds imo. i have been neogaf for a long time, and noticed exclusives have way more hype, and get more love.

Ah ok, you just don't like the results of previous years as much as I do.

That is ok.

1. Bloodborne; it's simply one of the best games i have ever played. Masterpiece.
2. Life is Strange; biggest surprise of 2015.
3. Batman Arkham Knight; perfect ending to an amazing trilogy.
4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt; best western RPG since...hmn...forever?
5. Dying Light; best survival horror of 2015, fantastic game.

Azzanadra

I still remember the Bayonetta 2 vs Dragon Age posts, b. One dude got banned for being an argumentative asshole for no reason.

Damn, what did he say exactly to get him a ban?
Though as far as ludicrous GOTY winners go, my personal GOTY that year was The Evil Within, and that game didn't seem to get the warmest reception here so meh :/

Side note: I don't believe the "it won because its exclusive!" thing though, because Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us did sweep most of the GOTY awards in their years from most outlets, not just NeoGAF...

I don't think that really matters in a ballot with a very specific deadline already set. Some people will just wait to vote later even if their choices are already set in.

And oh no, not another fantastic game winning over a different fantastic game. The horror that would have brought.

Exactly. I've already completed/started multiple games since I first made my list and have adjusted it accordingly. I'm sure many just wait until they have their final list ready to vote.

Also, being exclusive to the dominant console this generation is hardly a handicap on a site made up of enthusiasts like GAF where many own multiple systems. The 3 games with the most votes last year were on the Wii U.

Vire

Though as far as ludicrous GOTY winners go, my personal GOTY that year was The Evil Within, and that game didn't seem to get the warmest reception here so meh :/

Side note: I don't believe the "it won because its exclusive!" thing though, because Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us did sweep most of the GOTY awards in their years from most outlets, not just NeoGAF...
2008: MGS4
2009: Uncharted 2
2012: Journey
2013: The Last of Us
2015: Bloodborne ;)

itsaconspiracy.gif

1. BloodBorne; it's simply one of the best games i have ever played. Masterpiece.
2. Life is Strange; biggest surprise of 2015.
3. Batman Arkham Knight; perfect ending to an amazing trilogy.
4. Witcher 3; best western RPG since...hmn...forever?
5. Dying Light; best survival horror of 2015, fantastic game.

Your vote will probably count anyway, but perhaps you should use the correct, full name for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. And it's Bloodborne. :)

Side note: I don't believe the "it won because its exclusive!" thing though, because Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us did sweep most of the GOTY awards in their years from most outlets, not just NeoGAF...[/QUOTE]

i don't believe that as well, it has to be a great game as well, all i'm saying is exclusives have an advantage, many people have a console bias its normal, all these amazing multiplatfrom games that were released for the past 10 years, played by on a way bigger user base, yet the exclusives almost always win every year.

1. Rise of the Tomb Raider; Lara gets my GOTY once again (last TR was my 2013 GOTY). I love this series and love what Crystal Dynamics has done. They are my favorite developer, and it shows. This game looks gorgeous, the environments, the water levels, the mission structure, the snow and forest effect. It feels so good to be in the world. This game has outstanding level design, the best I have seen since 2013 TR. Game plays perfectly, the shooting feels fun and exciting, every enemy encounter I find myself salivating as to how many options I got (my trusty bow is always the first option). The story is excellent, and kept me engaged, and the Metroidvania-design is my favorite type of style for gaming, with progression that makes you feel your character’s growth. Love it.

2. Destiny: The Taken King; Destiny got to me again. I played vanilla until the perpetual level 29, then stopped. Came back two weeks before TTK was released to see the Dark Below and House of Wolves content and prepare for TTK. This is my go to game now. The music is excellent and bought the soundtrack. The new levels felt great, the new strikes are awesome, King’s Fall was excellent and challenging the first go around. Everything was improved, and I now play TTK every day since its release, every day. Play Destiny so much, I own TTK on both XB1 and PS4. Now back to the Iron Banner.

3. Bloodborne; I’m a Souls fan. Finished DeS, DkS and DkS2. Bloodborne was phenomenal from start to finish. All the boss encounter were fun, the game was streamlined a bit so combat would be faster and more fluid, and it worked perfectly. From Software are a great developer and this game shows how good their level design is. Every death is a learning experience, and I loved learning. Bring on Dark Souls 3.

4. Rocket League; What a surprise. I kept hearing good things about this PS+ freebie so I gave it a shot. WOW, what a fun game. So simple, yet so entertaining. Definitely a nice surprise, and was addicted to it for a while.

5. Ori and the Blind Forest; Best 2D Metroidvania game since Shadow Complex. This game was gorgeous and charming. The combat was very well implemented and I could not put it down for an entire weekend. Very memorable and my favorite arcade game in years.

6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain; The gameplay is so good. The game is this low simply cause the story honestly sucked and I hated waiting for the chopper every damn time. The game and combat are so good however, that on gameplay alone it’s a gem that must be played. It’s got its flaws however.

7. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin; Again, I’m a Souls fan. Went back and replayed DK2: SOTFS to see wat changes had been done. This is a much superior version to the 2014 release, and since it’s a 2015 game, I’m counting it in my top 10. I really loved going back and doing every single boss and all the dlc. Excellent game.

8. Lara Croft GO; I almost did not play this. I decided to try it on a flight a few weeks ago. I played it for 2 hours straight, did not even notice we had landed. The way the game teaches you the mechanics for each new puzzle is amazing! Playing this game should be mandatory to any game developer. It is text book 1o1 how to teach a player through game design alone, no text telling you what to do, nothing. Outstanding game.

9. Halo 5: Guardians; Best Halo game. Yeah, I said it. I have played all Halo games extensively (I mean extensively, daily Halo 1 LAN parties in college, etc). The multiplayer is perfect in Halo 5, it controls well, great level design and balanced weapons. Feels super good and I am glad how 343i have improve Halo for the better in every way.

10. Batman: Arkham Knight; This game shocked me. The surprise moment when
Joker
appeared was legendary. I will never forget when it happened or how the game unfolded afterwards. All the mind games this game plays on you makes it an excellent game. I also really enjoyed the Batmobile, never found the combat annoying. Bravo Rocksteady.

TLOU and uncharted is goty anywhere.

I think their argument is that Fallout 3 should have won over MGSIV(exclusive), Walking Dead over Journey(exclusive), Red Dead over ME2 (timed) aswell guys?

Like those games are definitely much much better than their rivals! As much as i personally disliked the fact that ME2 got it over RD, I think ME2 really had that year in lock, because the popularity of that franchise here, not because it was a console exclusive.

AAK

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; The details present in this game are beyond my comprehension. A true wonder of a software. RIP Fox Engine

2. Bloodborne

3. Mortal Kombat X

I think their argument is that Fallout 3 should have won over MGSIV(exclusive), Walking Dead over Journey(exclusive), Red Dead over ME2 (timed) aswell guys?

Like those games are definitely much much better than their rivals! As much as i personally disliked the fact that ME2 got it over RD, I think ME2 really had that year in lock, because the popularity of that franchise here, not because it was a console exclusive.

zelda tp over Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is ridiculous. also think batman asylum was much better then uncharted 2. i agree with last of us being goty, but crushing GTAV by double the points is hard to believe.

zelda tp over Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is ridiculous.

Hehe, I personally think Oblivion is a 4/10 game, so you are barking up the wrong tree here.

Yea that one as well, sorry I forgot that one to include in the list, because Oblivion definitely made the media cream their pants in unprecedented heights.

also think batman asylum was much better then uncharted 2. i agree with last of us being goty, but crushing GTAV by double the points is hard to believe.

Believe it, because it happened.

Having an unpopular opinion is cool man, I have it all the time, don't fret. My goty is Destiny lol.

Fletcher

If they played only that game all year, their votes are hardly relevant. If they only vote for the one to juryrig the results, it's annoying; for the thread and the tally. Most likely given that some of those posts are by people with 2-3 posts in total, they're just alt accounts or people from elsewhere flown in to doctor the vote.

Didn't even think of it that way. Console wars is serious business.

Azzanadra

To be honest, cases can be made for all those games in relation to NeoGAF. GAF loves Metal Gear, so much so that the disappointing MGSV is vying for third here still, and GAF also loves them art games, and Journey one of the better cases for "videogames as art".

I don't think any of those years were really that egregious. There just wasn't much competition in some years. I'm not a big fan of GTAV, but it's interesting that TLOU more than doubled it in votes. That is what stood out the most to me.

Majestad

Banned
I don't think any of those years were really that egregious. There just wasn't much competition in some years. I'm not a big fan of GTAV, but it's interesting that TLOU more than doubled it in votes. That is what stood out the most to me.

Exactly. 2009 there was nothing. I think only Batman was the only notable game that came out that year.

To be honest, cases can be made for all those games in relation to NeoGAF. GAF loves Metal Gear, so much so that the disappointing MGSV is vying for third here still, and GAF also loves them art games, and Journey one of the better cases for "videogames as art".

Funny. I don't even love Metal Gear, but perhaps that's why TPP is on my list. I don't give a damn about the story, but thought it was a brilliant game mechanically. Not as consistent and focused as Bloodborne, but probably the next best thing in AAA.

Azzanadra

Exactly. 2009 there was nothing. I think only Batman was the only notable game that came out that year.

Assassins' Creed 2, Demon's Souls, Dragon Age: Origins, Left 4 Dead 2 (A VALVE GAME), Halo 3: ODST, Infamous and KIllzone 2. Yep, no competition. damn Naughty Dogs! They always have it easy!

Really, 2009 is my second favorite year of last gen (first being 2011).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
If they played only that game all year, their votes are hardly relevant. If they only vote for the one to juryrig the results, it's annoying; for the thread and the tally. Most likely given that some of those posts are by people with 2-3 posts in total, they're just alt accounts or people from elsewhere flown in to doctor the vote.

Do you frequent GameFAQs per chance?

I don't think a RPG will ever win on GAF. They'll get widespread support, but there's always that one single player experience with minimal RPG elements with the bigger widespread appeal. Something people can get in like 20 hours or less, not 40+ like a Bethsada game or Witcher 3 or whatever that people just won't beat or get bored of. Mass Effect 2/Bloodborne pay lip service to "rpg elements", and you can beat em in like 20-25 hours.

That's why I'm holding steady to Uncharted 4 for GAF GotY 2016. In all likelihood its gonna be the best Uncharted, it'll be an great experience that the widest possible audience can enjoy in less than 15 hours, and we'll probably all be talking about it the whole year. Its gonna be like The Last of Us or Portal 2, the only two games to get 2,000+ points so far. Even if they're not everyone's #1, everybody gets that they're great games and they show up on the most lists.

Only real comp is Mass Effect Andromeda, if that even comes out. But its gonna be one of those 40 hours/Dragon Age in space kinda games...runner-up status confirmed.

Majestad

Banned
Assassins' Creed 2, Demon's Souls, Dragon Age: Origins, Left 4 Dead 2 (A VALVE GAME), Halo 3: ODST, Infamous and KIllzone 2. Yep, no competition. damn Naughty Dogs! They always have it easy!

Really, 2009 is my second favorite year of last gen (first being 2011).

I think you proved the point haha. Try comparing any of those games to what came out this year for example. If Infamous. asscreed, and a Halo spin-off are the competition, then damn.

lt519

I don't think a RPG will ever win on GAF. They'll get widespread support, but there's always that one single player experience with minimal RPG elements with the bigger widespread appeal. Something people can get in like 20 hours or less, not 40+ like a Bethsada game or Witcher 3 or whatever that people just won't beat or get bored of. Mass Effect 2/Bloodborne pay lip service to "rpg elements", and you can beat em in like 20-25 hours.

What do you think is going to win this year? I was under the assumption that Witcher 3 was probably going to take it..

I think you proved the point haha. Try comparing any of those games to what came out this year for example. If Infamous. asscreed, and a Halo spin-off are the competition, then damn.

Plus a co-op shooter and real time with party RPG never had a chance to win here. Souls was niche back then. What else was going to win but Uncharted 2? I'm not saying it's undeserving btw.

What do you think is going to win this year? I was under the assumption that Witcher 3 was probably going to take it..

Bloodborne, followed somewhat closely by Witcher 3. Then a big gap, with MGSV in third. Rocket League, Splatoon, Fallout 4, Undertale, Life is Strange, Until Dawn, and Ori for the top 10, although probably not in that order

edit: erasing this post so my other ballot will not be invalidated

Bloodborne, followed somewhat closely by Witcher 3. Then a big gap, with MGSV in third. Rocket League, Splatoon, Fallout 4, Undertale, Life is Strange, Until Dawn, and Ori for the top 10, although probably not in that order

going full-on hypothetical for GAF GOTY 2016, assuming they all come out and they're all well-received, knowing GAF...

1. Uncharted 4
2. Mass Effect
3. Persona 5
4. Dark Souls 3
5. Deus Ex
6. Zelda
7. 3D Mario(its coming, believe)
8. XCOM 2
9. Final Fantasy XV
10. Sony or Nintendo exclusive(No Man's Sky, Horizon, some Nintendo game we don't know about)

That top 4 is spot on for 2016.

going full-on hypothetical for GAF GOTY 2016, assuming they all come out and they're all well-received, knowing GAF...

1. Uncharted 4
2. Mass Effect
3. Persona 5
4. Dark Souls 3
5. Deus Ex
6. Zelda
8. XCOM 2
9. Final Fantasy XV
10. Sony or Nintendo exclusive(No Man's Sky, Horizon, some Nintendo game we don't know about)

"Hypothetical"

you know you're always right about shit

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ah allmost forgot to do this.

1. Bloodborne ; the lore, gameplay, music are all top notch! Masterful crafted game and I loved every bit of it. My only knock is that it's a little bit short.

2. Rocketleague ; I have probably already played more then 200 hours and I see myself playing this game still 3 years from now. It deserves all the success it gets!

3. Witcher 3 ; like Bloodborne it's an excellent crafted game. Especially the way quests flow into each other is something I hope alot of other devs take notice of. The reason why this game isn't higher on my list is that it is imo really unbalanced. At a certain point it gets waaay to easy. To be fair alot of RPG's are like this, but Bloodborne does this better. Besides the gameplay in Witcher 3 isn't that good either.

4. MGS5: TPP ; loved the gameplay, missed the metal geary story.

5. Until Dawn ; I am a sucker for these type of games! And this one is really well made, still have to play Life is Strange tho.

Edit: filled in my comments.

b0bbyJ03

1. Rocket League ; I play games for one reason: to have fun. This game is crack to me. Love playing with or against my friends and there is nothing better than throwing on some spotify music and just jumping online with this game. Its got that quality that some of the greats have, which is that its fun and easy to play, but still deep and hard to master

2. Rainbow Six Siege ; Can't believe this game is even on my list. I only bought it due to reading so many positive things on forums. I'd have it at number one if the servers didn't suck so bad. I have never played a shooter with such a great community. I've met more people playing this game than any other due to how much team work it requires. Love how slow and tactical it is and easily the most satisfying head shots on any shooter currently available.

3. The Witcher 3 ; Been a gamer all my life but have never been able to get into an RPG up until this year and holy shit am I glad I did. This game was amazing from beginning to end. Love the characters, the dialogue, the locations, the side quests, and the story was decent.

4. Bloodborne ; Officially my first RPG ever (that I enjoyed and completed). what can be said that hasn't. Just challenging as all hell and plain old school fun. The level design was genius and the art was gorgeous

5. Dying light ; Best first person traversal ever. Best day/night cycle ever (I was legitimately scared to go out at night). Fun game-play, decent combat, crappy story.

6. Batman Arkham Knight ; I wasn't even sure I'd put this this high on the list considering I got it on PC but I waited til the most recent patch and it ran very nicely for me (I've got a 980 and 16 GB of RAM so im sure that helped). I just happen to love this format. I've enjoyed all the Batman games, even origins, but batmobile killed a good portion of this game. I thought it was awesome that they included it but I hated the tank sections.

7. MGSV ; Have always been a huge MGS fan but the open world did not gel with me. The music was amazing, the graphics, and the gameplay mechanics were sweet but I thought the new format disrupted the continuity you'd expect from such a story based series. After a while I felt like the whole thing was just rinse, wash, repeat.

8. Helldivers; for the price you can't beat these kinds of gems. It would be higher on the list I had more friends that played it. I only stopped cause they stopped.

9. Ori and the blind Forest ; Some of the most beautiful art in a game I've ever seen. It was like controlling a Disney carton. The platforming was fun but the one thing that held it back imo was the controls. They felt a little sluggish and that is a big no no for a platformer.

10. Battlefront ; This game is probably my biggest disappointment of all time. I expected it to be number one on my list because it took my favorite MP developer DICE (I absolutely love the Battlefield games) and my favorite franchise and put them together. TBH I kind of just expected it to be a Star Wars battlefield game and instead it was just a shallow shooter with a lack of content. It still has potential, but I've accepted that it will never be what I originally wanted it to be.

lt519

Figured Witcher 3 might make up some ground because of non-ps4 owners but that didn't hold the Wii U back last year...

Anyway just for fun looked up my Affinity list from last year and only 3 have voted this year! Slixshot, Violence Jack, and Prismo. We have almost nothing in common again this year. Also looked at my recommended game list and I ended up playing several from it.

I think you are wrong about everything here. Most people on this board are video game enthusiasts rather than braindead one-company fanboys. If Bloodborne wins this, it is because it was the game that entralled the highest amounts of enthusiasts this year - and in that sense the best game this year - not because it is PS4 exclusive. Same with Bayonetta 2 last year.

I also think both Bayonetta 2 and Bloodborne would have won even more decisively if they were multiplat, and that Witcher 3 would have gotten far less votes if it was a Sony exclusive.

Agreed. There's a lot of posts I see with the Witcher 3 that don't list Bloodborne or any other PS exclusives. I assume many of these posts just own one console (XB1). Nothing wrong with this at all, but I think being multiplatform is more of an advantage in voting simply because more people can play the games.

A reason why exclusives can tend to be GOTY candidates is because the main platform holders have a different agenda than third parties -- in other words, Sony/MS/Nintendo aren't necessarily trying to release the most profitable games by churning out yearly sequels. They're trying to support the overall platform, and they are willing to let games get delayed and go over budget in order to get them right. Or they receive additional funding and development support in the case of a title like Bloodborne. So the titles have more of an advantage, quality wise. EA/Activision don't really have this luxury because they are trying mostly to maximize profits which generally means milking annual franchise titles.

So the best titles each year have a strong possibility of being exclusive as a result. Doesn't have anything to do with platform bias. If there was a strong case of platform bias in a particular direction, then it would regularly occur for one particular platform, but that doesn't happen -- it tends to flip between Nintendo/Sony quite often when it does occur.

spekkeh

Banned
The people shitting on The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne being number one on people's list are insufferable.

I don't remember last year having any of this kind of criticism towards people's own personal preferences... I just remember the kind words people said about the individuals who clearly spent a lot of time on their post.
Some people seem intent on purposefully misrepresenting my point. Let me reiterate once again it is not a slight against people's preference for one or the other, even though it is not mine. I am annoyed by people voting only one game in a polarized process, some of whom have only a few posts in a number of years.

The only reason I signaled out The Witcher and Bloodborne, and let me state again that the Witcher was in my list so it's not that I hate these games and want them to lose, is because curiously nobody is saying 1. Helldivers, this is the only game of note I played this year. Because nobody is rigging Helldivers to win over an actual fair preference process.

Mory Dunz

1. Uncharted 4
2. Mass Effect
3. Persona 5
4. Dark Souls 3
5. Deus Ex
6. Zelda
8. XCOM 2
9. Final Fantasy XV

If Zelda is "well-recieved" it'll be higher than that.

But no 3D zelda's are well-recieved by GAF anymore, so it'll wind up at 6 after all. ;)

Agreed. There's a lot of posts I see with the Witcher 3 that don't list Bloodborne or any other PS exclusives. I assume many of these posts just own one console (XB1). Nothing wrong with this at all, but I think being multiplatform is more of an advantage in voting simply because more people can play the games.

A reason why exclusives can tend to be GOTY candidates is because the main platform holders have a different agenda than third parties -- in other words, Sony/MS/Nintendo aren't necessarily trying to release the most profitable games by churning out yearly sequels. They're trying to support the overall platform, and they are willing to let games get delayed and go over budget in order to get them right. Or they receive additional funding and development support in the case of a title like Bloodborne. So the titles have more of an advantage, quality wise. EA/Activision don't really have this luxury because they are trying mostly to maximize profits which generally means milking annual franchise titles.

So the best titles each year have a strong possibility of being exclusive as a result. Doesn't have anything to do with platform bias. If there was a strong case of platform bias in a particular direction, then it would regularly occur for one particular platform, but that doesn't happen -- it tends to flip between Nintendo/Sony quite often when it does occur.

honestly don't find this to be true, nintendo games seems to have a smaller budget then most big aaa third part games, and bloodborne, is not exactly perfect, performance is not great, and has frame pacing issues, besides third party's are one's mainly selling the consoles.

Malus

1. Splatoon ; The most fun I've had with a game this gen, and my most played game of all time in a few short months. Innovative gameplay prefectly matched up with a unique and colorful audio/visual presentation. Unforgettable final boss.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Planet Mira is best world I've ever experienced in a game. Huge, immensely detailed, full of towering monsters and jaw dropping alien environments. Despite some issues, the highs are incredibly high thanks to a great sense of exploration and discovery that is consistently rewarding even after many dozens of hours. 2nd favorite soundtrack of mine behind only the original.

3. Bloodborne ; Incredibly thick atmosphere, impressively detailed world, and punishing gameplay and level design make Bloodborne a highly memorable adventure. The sense of accomplishment gained from conquering its dense, intimidating maps is really addicting. Great monster design and an interesting story that makes you think. Still salty about getting kicked into NG+ though D:<

just to back op my point how the fuck does uncharted 3 and zelda sky sword beat batman arkham city which is a game that destroy both , and is available on all platforms.

Nintendo exclusives kinda max out around 1,000-1,100 points.
Nintendo fans are passionate, but they're outnumbered by the amount of people who vote well-received Naugthy Dog/From Software/Mass Effect/AAA multiplat WRPGs

....the "Nintendo ceiling" is also kinda real though, it's why Nintendo managed to dominate last year when the rest of the field was shit but the same number of points wasn't nearly enough other years (see Skyward Sword)

for reference, Nintendo exclusives in the top 10:

(edit: removed, it got quoted anyway)

honestly don't find this to be true, nintendo games seems to have a smaller budget then most big aaa third part games, and bloodborne, is not exactly perfect, performance is not great, and has frame pacing issues, besides third party's are one's mainly selling the consoles.

It's not necessarily just about budget, it's also about risk. None of the big third parties would churn out games like Mario Galaxy every single year because Nintendo has a lock on that market/demographic, and that sort of game IS fairly expensive to make given the risks involved for outside publishers. We've seen what games like Tearaway have done even though it's a very high quality and relatively low budget production.

I think exclusive games are able to take more risks than the third party productions, which generally leads to titles that can easily surprise and be GOTY contenders.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
1. MGSV: TPP ; gameplay best ever
2. P.T. ; best game announcement
3. Rampage Knights ; it was a lot of fun

Don't think i've played anything else this year.

just to back op my point how the fuck does uncharted 3 and zelda sky sword beat batman arkham city which is a game that destroy both , and is available on all platforms.

They got more votes

....the "Nintendo ceiling" is real though

Its totally real. I can't imagine a Nintendo game getting 2,000 points like Portal 2 or The Last of Us(and probably Bloodborne this year and Uncharted 4 next year). Bayonetta 2 won cuz there wasn't a Bloodborne/Uncharted 4/The Last of Us/Portal 2 to grab even more votes.

But Bayo 2 is amazing so lets just be happy about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom