• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters anime and live action coming (Samurai Shodown game mentioned?)

BadWolf

From SRK:

Now time for the Interviews People Have Been Neglecting roundup, this time from QQ games.

http://games.qq.com/a/20151231/030037.htm

SNK Playmore General Manager Yutaka Noguchi explains that the decision to make KoFXIV a PS4 exlusive is based on the very high worldwide sales of the platform, and that people should not worry because SNK is not JUST working on KoF, but also other IP's such as Samsho and Metal Slug (not sure if that's an actual confirmation of those games being in production or just an example). He also says that they are looking to bring more games to mobile and Steam.

And in other news, KoF is getting an Animation AND Live Action adaptation.

http://games.qq.com/a/20160108/058980.htm

Thirty-Seven Mutual Entertainment represented by President of Entertainment Mr. Li Yifei announced that they had begun production of KoF media, including animated and live action series'. Mr. Yifei says that it is important to the name and brand to "recreate" the IP, which is not as simple as just making games. Thirty-Seven Mutual Entertainment intends to increase the reach of the series. Apparently the anime is expected to come out in first quarter 2016(?!) on various websites. They are in talks with television affiliates to get it adapted to TV, using the phrase "Adapting isn't difficult." The goal of these adaptations is to get the show in other countries, specifically aiming for Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia, and even North America. No word on which studio is producing the animation.

The KOF Another Day anime shorts were pretty good (animated by Production I.G.), something akin to those would be sweet.

Also think this is the first time (?) they have mentioned SamSho since those job ads from 2013 which said they were hiring for a new KOF and SamSho.

Warxard

Banned
Interesting to see where the anime would go! Hope it's not restricted to just China.

I would ...actually like to see Trigger do an anime based on King of Fighters.

Platy

Live action ???

Oh god .. the flashbacks ... the flashbacks of when I watched the king of fighters movie .... MAKE IT STOOOOPPP

A live-action adaptation of the Orochi Saga in the style of Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist would be great. Focus on the classic, universal tale of martial arts and ancient evil and try to avoid the sillier characters/story arcs.

Warxard

Banned
A live-action adaptation of the Orochi Saga in the style of Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist would be great. Focus on the classic, universal tale of martial arts and ancient evil and try to avoid the sillier characters/story arcs.

But that isn't what the Orochi Saga isn't about at all. It was never a huge focus for Martial Arts, but rather the Orochi legends.

It's kind of hard to avoid the sillier characters when even the sillier characters have huge roles in the Orochi and NESTS saga. Specifically the Psycho Soldiers, Sports team and even the FF team.

Breakbeat

Banned
I'm conflicted... on one hand, I've been clamoring for a KoF anime for YEARS, the over-the-top nature of the Orochi saga is begging to be animated. On the other hand, the lack of details makes me afraid that they're gonna mess it up somehow... bad original anime storyline, bad anime studio, too short...

But that isn't what the Orochi Saga isn't about at all. It was never a huge focus for Martial Arts, but rather the Orochi legends.

It's kind of hard to avoid the sillier characters when even the sillier characters have huge roles in the Orochi and NESTS saga. Specifically the Psycho Soldiers, Sports team and even the FF team.

By "martial arts" I just mean the Kusanagi/Kagura/Yagami stuff. Orochi legend is fine too; it's the ancient evil element I was referring to.

I don't remember the Psycho Soldiers, Sports team and FF team having a huge role in the Orochi Saga. FF team is fine anyway (the plot of Fatal Fury 1 was a classic martial arts tale of revenge).

By "martial arts" I just mean the Kusanagi/Kagura/Yagami stuff. Orochi legend is fine too; it's the ancient evil element I was referring to.

I don't remember the Psycho Soldiers, Sports team and FF team having a huge role in the Orochi Saga. FF team is fine anyway (the plot of Fatal Fury 1 was a classic martial arts tale of revenge).

I mean...no characters except for Kyo, Iori, and K' have much relevancy in any of the storylines. I'd rather they do a new story, or little slice of life stories, rather than focus on the orochi. That story is tired.

I'd rather see the relationships between different teams. I want to see characters like Athena and Mai interact with each other.

Fandangox

Hopefully is good, there's enough interesting characters to do an Essemble cast series that focuses on different stuff. They could even be free with how the handle the show's genre as they could change it depending on who is the focus.

Live Action as in what, film? Tv Series? 30 second ARE YOU OKAY doctor commercial?

Naite

I remember being really excited for Another Day when it was announced but then it turned out to be a really short promo for Maximum Impact. The animation quality of that short was pretty good though. Would love to see production I.G. back on it again.

On one hand, the bar for KoF live action adaptations is so low that this will be the best one without even trying. On the other hand, I did not need to remember...this...

tumblr_o0sqat65MD1qhhv13o1_400.jpg

Rymuth

Yesyesyesyesyes!

I was *really* set on making a thread about how I miss Fighting games with such a large cast that there'd be drama CDs, songs sung by their V/As etc etc. KOF was the pinnacle of this, I love the absurd six-degrees-of-separation it had going and I've always wanted to see an anime set in its world.

Finally, the dream comes true (if it's a series and not just a short OVA)

qcf x2

They should make Whip the star of the series. And add her to KoF14. ;(

More importantly, Samurai Shodown hype. Even if they use the same engine, it will look better since it's 1 v 1. Big questions for me are always balance and netcode. There is still no game that does what SS does combat wise, which is kind of surprising, but it would definitely find a nice audience if it's done right.
And if they include Charlotte

Lastly, does anybody know the release dates for KoF14 (supposedly more than 70% done already) and Last Blade 2 (PS4)?

BadWolf

Lastly, does anybody know the release dates for KoF14 (supposedly more than 70% done already) and Last Blade 2 (PS4)?

Nothing official yet but some people heard on the PSX show floor that SNK was aiming for a September, 2016, release for XIV.

The game will be present at the Taipei Game Show later this month and there is a rumor saying that they might announce the release date there.

Great time to be a fighting game fan.

KOF Another Day series was actually pretty darn good.

KOF series, much like SF series, has been in desperate need of story expansion for decades. SO many characters and storylines deserving of a more detailed look. I'm glad both companies seem to be taking story telling more seriously these days.

Actually...a CvS anime would be sick...

The Another Day shorts by Production IG were pretty good. If they could just get their foot in the door with a full fledged series it could really help get KoF some much needed attention and popularity.

Live action too? Yikes. Wellllll. I have to wonder if it'll be an effort focused in Asia, or if it's going to be another Western/International effort. If it's the latter, I'm not holding my breath.

From SRK:

The KOF Another Day anime shorts were pretty good (animated by Production I.G.), something akin to those would be sweet.

Also think this is the first time (?) they have mentioned SamSho since those job ads from 2013 which said they were hiring for a new KOF and SamSho.

Can SF assassin fist company make kof live action please?
I need a new metal slug, like now :)

qcf x2

Nothing official yet but some people heard on the PSX show floor that SNK was aiming for a September, 2016, release for XIV.

The game will be present at the Taipei Game Show later this month and there is a rumor saying that they might announce the release date there.

Interesting. I was thinking it would be a lot sooner, but it's probably a good thing that there's still over 8 months to go. That leaves plenty of time to work on netcode, balancing (and with a huge roster, that takes time), visuals, etc.

Geeky

Can we have Obari doing it again pretty please?

I was really disappointed as a kid when the Fatal Fury anime didn't continue on to Fatal Fury 3 or the Real Bout games. I always wanted to get those done.

No no no no no no no no
First
A live action Fatal Fury movie from the SF AF people.
Then you can have your KoF movie in 2050.

How about the KOF cinematic universe? Get FF, AOF, Pycho Solider, and Ikari Warriors movies going then have them all meet up in KOF.

Fandangox

I was really disappointed as a kid when the Fatal Fury anime didn't continue on to Fatal Fury 3 or the Real Bout games. I always wanted to get those done.

How about the KOF cinematic universe? Get FF, AOF, Pycho Solider, and Ikari Warriors movies going then have them all meet up in KOF.

lol thats what I was thinking when I read that comment. The KoF universe keeps a lot of the other series original events somewhat somewhat intact, so why not?

Tizoc

All those old SNK commercials are so good.

Andyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

There are never enough live action Fatal Fury stuff.

Seriously though as hype as I am for KoF, I miss good ol' Fatal Fury. So bummed I made up a roster for a Wild Ambition HD remake :V

Top Bottom